Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Story-wise I saw the issues coming when I noticed that in the stage-beginning cutscenes, all of the characters who're playable in Story Mode for that stage will appear even if it makes no sense for them to do so, but I suppose that that's a byproduct of going away from specific character per stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Not having played 7 or any Dynasty Warriors for a long time, yeah, the story is not particularly well explained. I also think most of the voice acting is pretty corny.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

chunkles posted:

Not having played 7 or any Dynasty Warriors for a long time, yeah, the story is not particularly well explained. I also think most of the voice acting is pretty corny.

Yeah the impact of some of the What Ifs is kind of lost if you don't know what to expect normally. I think 8 relies on having played 7 a bit too much for its own good. That said I'm having a blast with the drat game, most of the new weapon types are really fun.

I equip every character with a rake now.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I think it comes from having the lack of narration for the between level bits, and that the game was designed with Jin in mind. For Wei, at least, it was probably the best place to stop it because after that point Cao Cao wasn't in charge.

Overall 7 probably had the more cohesive story.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Define "designed with Jin in mind"? Although DW7 cut off with Cao Cao's death and Cao Pi's enthronement, the Jin campaign quickly established that Cao Pi passed away before long and Sima Yi got in good with his successor Cao Rui.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Is there a guide in English for the DW8 unlocks?

And the funniest narration problem I can see is that Guan Yu cannot die enough different ways in each title. He gets three elaborate death cutscenes just playing through the regular stories.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I only played part way into Wei in 7, and I do not really know the Three Kingdoms story otherwise. Should I look up 7s cutscenes sometime so I get extra context of what happens in 8?

Edit: or I can just read the drat history section in the encyclopedia...

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 22, 2013

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

5er posted:

Is there a guide in English for the DW8 unlocks?

And the funniest narration problem I can see is that Guan Yu cannot die enough different ways in each title. He gets three elaborate death cutscenes just playing through the regular stories.

What are you looking for unlocks? Characters? 5 Star weapons?

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I wouldn't mind a simple understanding of how to get the best weapons, or how to unlock costumes. Like, I have Yueyings DW 7 costume, but I don't have Pang Tongs.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
The 5 Star weapons can be obtained like how they were in DW5 and prior games -- you have to play on Hard or Musou level difficulty and do something specific with a character on a stage.

EG,

Xiaohun Yuan's 5 Star weapon is obtained by reaching a certain point in the first Wei stage before Lu Bu manages to break a single gate down. You then get a 'treasure has been found!' message and you have to go pick up the weapon.

This is a partial list of 5 Star weapons and how to get them. People are still working on translating poo poo, so it's incomplete:

http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/7027507/1/

The other way to get solid weapons is through Ambition Mode. Once you get the Blacksmith up to level...30 I think, you get the ability to Temper weapons. This is different than the Reforge option that the Blacksmith first provides you, which is lovely, unpredictable and a waste of weapon materials.

Tempering weapons works like how it does in other titles, you select a base weapon, then pick another weapon that will take the abilities and put it on. It can be tedious, as you can't pick what weapon abilities you want to use (like in WO3) but you can build some OP weapons through that.

The whole weapon system is actually one of my main complaints with this latest game. Every iteration of the Musou series that I've played gives you an option to either discard whatever new weapons/animals/etc you've found or replace it with something in your existing inventory. Given that it seems that the total number of weapons you can have is 'pooled' amongst all the weapon types (EG, I have max weapons right now and have something like 30 clubs and 2 Flying Swords) and I'm a little annoyed, as it's a micro-managing nightmare.

E: and I don't know about costumes, but I do have Pang Tong's costume unlocked in my game and I haven't touched the Shu campaign at all...just Wei and Ambition Mode (I do have Pang Tong as a playable option in Ambition Mode, but he's not 'unlocked' in Free Mode.)

Perdido fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 22, 2013

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Unlucky7 posted:

I only played part way into Wei in 7, and I do not really know the Three Kingdoms story otherwise. Should I look up 7s cutscenes sometime so I get extra context of what happens in 8?

Edit: or I can just read the drat history section in the encyclopedia...

It's not like 8 comes after 7, it's the same story every game, repeated forever. If you want to know more about Three Kingdoms I recommend the book, but since nobody likes having to read you should check out the 2010 TV show on youtube.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Chortles posted:

Define "designed with Jin in mind"? Although DW7 cut off with Cao Cao's death and Cao Pi's enthronement, the Jin campaign quickly established that Cao Pi passed away before long and Sima Yi got in good with his successor Cao Rui.

Eh, I suppose I used the wrong words, but it seems like the game was built specifically around having two distinct "Era's" One with the Three Kingdoms, and the other built around Jin's rise, with little to no overlap AT ALL, so it feels like there's a disjointed skip between Wei and Jin.

Many of the later warriors in each kingdom go unused, but exist to face off against Jin. And NOBODY gets their backstory explained very well. I mean, you don't exactly have Gan Ning killing Ling Cao, or anything to explain why certain officers pop up and depart. And it doesn't help that many of the battles that were staples of the series (Yellow Turban Rebellion, Chang Ban, Wu Zhang) are only really given 1 fight on them and they move on.

Edit:
Can I just say, I hope they add Cheng Pu into the game... and play off his title "General who Rocks Bandits" (seriously)

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
As for the distinct "Jin period vs. the Three Kingdoms period" feel, it seems like 7 explained the interregnum -- as did the tail end of Shu's story -- relatively well at the start of Jin's story since it's only a few years since Wu Zhang Plains (which I guess is why this time around Wu Zhang Plains is outright the first Jin stage in 8).

As for the Yellow Turbans... I think it's both for setting up the overall plot and the over the top hamminess of Zhang Jiao.
Changban is in the games mostly so that you can watch Zhao Yun "do his thing", though you can also read it and that's cool too (seriously, loving read this).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Belzac posted:

It's not like 8 comes after 7, it's the same story every game, repeated forever. If you want to know more about Three Kingdoms I recommend the book, but since nobody likes having to read you should check out the 2010 TV show on youtube.

Just chiming in to say that the 2010 series is a lot of fun and Chen Jianbin does an incredible job as Cao Cao.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 22, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Perdido posted:

The 5 Star weapons can be obtained like how they were in DW5 and prior games -- you have to play on Hard or Musou level difficulty and do something specific with a character on a stage.

EG,

Xiaohun Yuan's 5 Star weapon is obtained by reaching a certain point in the first Wei stage before Lu Bu manages to break a single gate down. You then get a 'treasure has been found!' message and you have to go pick up the weapon.

This is a partial list of 5 Star weapons and how to get them. People are still working on translating poo poo, so it's incomplete:

http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/7027507/1/

Yeah, that's what I was after, unlocking final weapons. And, hopefully guides on how to manage some of those stage unlocks, but I suspect once I get Red Hare or Hex Mark (and perhaps an egregiously overlevelled Guan Yu with a couple 5 star weapons) I won't have too much of an issue with those. Unless I can't unlock the branching story paths in Free Mode, in which case better weapons become more imperative.

Speaking of which, how DO I get Red Hare unlocked?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Just chiming in to say that the 2010 series is a lot of fun and Chen Jianbin does an incredible job as Cao Cao.
Four months later, but it bears reposting:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is he saying "hee hee hee heee! WOOOO!!" as he runs away? Please tell me he is, even if it isn't true.

When you say it's free on Youtube do you mean officially, or someone just ripped it all and stuck it up there and no one cares because it's China?

Chortles posted:

The latter, plus apparently this version has better subtitles than the official translation anyway.

Also, have some Mayor Zhang Fei, and part 2, set when Guan Yu leaves Cao Cao.

Bonus trivia: Keep an eye on that one guy who tells Zhang Fei of Guan Yu's fate 48 seconds into part 2... he seems to have an absurd lot of identical twins or Chinese magical clones :haw:
And if you care to see Chen Gong's death scene, which is right after Lu Bu's, skip to 38:02 of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kkjnGlkEdw

The series is definitely more readily accessible and explanatory than The Ravages of Time.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Are there any good sources for what was going on in Wu specifically during the Three Kingdoms era? They always seem to end up as a footnote to the Liu Bei/Cao Cao conflict in the games and books, but they've been my favorite of the three kingdoms since I discovered that little part of history.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Speedball posted:

So how does DW8 stack up against Orochi 3? I loved WO3.

For that matter, any good words on Dynasty Tactics 2? I liked what I saw; chains of moves pushing units around.

I loved both Dynasty Tactics games. The "chaining" thing and unit movement stuff made it feel like a puzzle game rather than a war game. I really wish they'd made another one of these, but also understand it's probably a very limited appeal.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

OatmealRaisin posted:

Are there any good sources for what was going on in Wu specifically during the Three Kingdoms era? They always seem to end up as a footnote to the Liu Bei/Cao Cao conflict in the games and books, but they've been my favorite of the three kingdoms since I discovered that little part of history.

Most of the histories were written with Liu Bei and Cao Cao as the antagonists. I'm sure somebody else could tell you better, but for the most part Wu was the kingdom that was swapping allies back and forth, which is probably why it's treated as the wild card.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Calax posted:

Most of the histories were written with Liu Bei and Cao Cao as the antagonists. I'm sure somebody else could tell you better, but for the most part Wu was the kingdom that was swapping allies back and forth, which is probably why it's treated as the wild card.

The liberties KOEI takes with the history, just have to be rolled with. It's comedy at this point. Newer characters are just amalgams of overkilled anime tropes with very little to absolutely no bearing on the disposition of the heroes they are meant to represent. I might be a grognard to say so but it just gravitates me back to the pillars whose attitudes don't seem to change much, and don't seem to be horribly embarrassing anime fanservices- Zhang Fei's fight'n and drinkin, Zhang Liao's fight'n and having dignity'n, Lu Bu's fight'n and hanging for it, etc. Old guard, best guard.

I particularly adore the second episode of GameCenter CX where KOEI's lead developer, with a serious and earnest face advised the interviewer that the ending of Kessen 2 brought tears of genuine emotion to his eyes. If I remember right, it's been a long time... Cao Cao took a lightning bolt to his loving head while his closest, dearest ally Liu Bei holds him as he dies. I was crying too but I think it was gastronomic pain.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I thought Wang Yi had a refreshingly, uh...classic KOEI interpretation, and she's only been around since 7:XL. fightin' and revengin'?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I read about Wang Yi yesterday. She was actually pretty loving hardcore in real life.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Well, they do kinda make for amalgam characters rather than just stand alones. *Glares at Xing Cai*

Personally, if we had the Kessen 2 character designs in DW I'd probably be laughing to hard to fight.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Whenever someone complains about DW's outfits being bad or unrealistic, I'm going to link them that image.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Speaking of Xing Cai, does anyone else get really mad about the way she holds her shield? He's gonna break her drat hand! She wears it right in cutscenes what the hell :supaburn:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Selane posted:

Whenever someone complains about DW's outfits being bad or unrealistic, I'm going to link them that image.

Frankly, I regard them about the same, looking at that lot.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

OatmealRaisin posted:

Speaking of Xing Cai, does anyone else get really mad about the way she holds her shield? He's gonna break her drat hand! She wears it right in cutscenes what the hell :supaburn:

What annoys me about her is her refusal to wear pants. It probably shouldn't bother me so much, but... Shoulder pads. Metal grieves. Big rear end shield. Pant-less. I don't understand. No like, kick-rear end metal skirt, or like chain, or anything. I like Xing Cai, well I like her more than most Shu officers. But come on.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I haven't played Kessen before so I had to look some of these up, apparently 26 is Xu Zhu as a lady :lol:

I like Xing Cai, besides the lack of pants she's probably got the most reasonable weapon to charge into some of these fights. Definitely my favorite Shu officer to play as.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Can someone tell me who the people are from the Kessen image. Particularly Antler Man, The Black Widow, Chinese Heracles, and... I have no joke for number 12 because holy hell hahaha.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

alpha_destroy posted:

Can someone tell me who the people are from the Kessen image. Particularly Antler Man, The Black Widow, Chinese Heracles, and... I have no joke for number 12 because holy hell hahaha.
Found the one with the names.

How did Yu Jin become more effeminate than Zhang He?

Calax fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 22, 2013

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I'm not 100% sure on the others, but Number 12 is almost surely Ma Chao, judging by his trademark hat/helm
e;fb

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Meng Huo is my favorite. He killed a lion for his clothes and then killed a baby lion for his hat.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

5er posted:

Speaking of which, how DO I get Red Hare unlocked?

90 consecutive battles in Ambition Mode. That means no Returning to Camp. Someone on another forum is insistent that you can do it in 30 battle intervals (so that you can Save and Return to Camp), but that didn't work for me (I may have hosed it up.)

IMPORTANT: You will NOT get Red Hare or any of the other special Horses if your Animals are maxed out. Sell any junk animals you have before trying to unlock Red Hare and avoid picking up the ones that are randomly dropped by Officers. You will get a 'You cannot obtain any more Animals' message if you're maxed out. Thankfully, I found this out with Shadow Runner.

That's how all the horses get unlocked, actually.

20 Battles: Trophy/Achievement
30 Battles: Shadow Runner
50 Battles: Trophy/Achievement
60 Battles: Hex Mark
90 Battles: Red Hare
100 Battles: Battle Elephant

You also get animals unlocked every 10 battles, too. IIRC, you get a generic lovely horse at 10 & 20, a Falcon at level 40, a Wolf at level 50, an Elephant at level 70 and a Panda at level 80. This might be randomized.

My advice if you want to crank it out quickly is to do nothing but Materials battles on Beginner difficulty. Fame Missions usually involve some kind of running around, while Ally Missions require you to kill a bunch of officers. Do it before you have a majority of your Allies are obtained so you can level up skills while you do it (maxing out Allies replaces named officers with nameless 'Unit Commanders' who, as far as I can tell, do NOT give skill ups when you beat them.)

Then, just plow through the levels. You can beeline straight to the head officer you need to kill and get most stages finished in ~2 minutes. Also, smash any pots or crates you see while doing Materials battles, as they will always contain Materials. You will need a ton of Materials...Fame and Allies are very easy to obtain compared to Materials.

I also recommend having a fairly decently levelled character (not because it gets hard, but because it takes forever to kill poo poo the higher you go) with a decent weapon. Again, I recommend Xiahou Yuan, as his EX attack will get your Rage bar filled in several uses and you can just use your Rage attack to splatter the officer instantly. Any other officer that has an AE attack that hits multiple times could work, too.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I want to post 'gently caress that' and walk away. But I foresee myself doing it.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

5er posted:

The liberties KOEI takes with the history, just have to be rolled with. It's comedy at this point. Newer characters are just amalgams of overkilled anime tropes with very little to absolutely no bearing on the disposition of the heroes they are meant to represent. I might be a grognard to say so but it just gravitates me back to the pillars whose attitudes don't seem to change much, and don't seem to be horribly embarrassing anime fanservices- Zhang Fei's fight'n and drinkin, Zhang Liao's fight'n and having dignity'n, Lu Bu's fight'n and hanging for it, etc. Old guard, best guard.
And this is why I read Ravages: Zhang Fei and Lu Bu are faking their "dumb", and Zhang Liao is loving COOL.
:negative:

5er posted:

I particularly adore the second episode of GameCenter CX where KOEI's lead developer, with a serious and earnest face advised the interviewer that the ending of Kessen 2 brought tears of genuine emotion to his eyes. If I remember right, it's been a long time... Cao Cao took a lightning bolt to his loving head while his closest, dearest ally Liu Bei holds him as he dies. I was crying too but I think it was gastronomic pain.
Was Koei's lead dev the one described as a negative stereotype of otaku?

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Chortles posted:

Was Koei's lead dev the one described as a negative stereotype of otaku?

He's the one that has a striking resemblance to Chairman Kaga from Iron Chef. The one that most looks like a creepy pantysniffer would be Omega Force's lead.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Is anyone aware of any 5-star weapon unlocks for Shu characters? I'm playing through that campaign now and I'd like to grab them.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

chunkles posted:

Is anyone aware of any 5-star weapon unlocks for Shu characters? I'm playing through that campaign now and I'd like to grab them.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Thanks man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Someone asked earlier, but is the multiplayer less clunky than Orochi 3? I have a friend who would love to play this if we did a share, but the complete lack of a lobby made WO3 a really cumbersome experience for us.