Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Thanks, especially about the heads up on GSWs. My mother is a retired nurse and would have grabbed onto me being wrong about that and never let go.

I'm rolling with your argument entirely, especially because it is something I really empathize with - some creepy mofo is following me at night, I'm going to spook and try to evade them without bolting and escalating. If they chase me, it's time to bolt, and if I can't get away, it's time to fight and do my best to protect myself from someone who has acted in a threatening manner towards me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

CitizenKain posted:

So this is a new thing floating around the right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebu6Yvzs4Ls
Its someguy from PJTV talking about how Trayvon was going to get high on lean and how aggressive people are on it. Because when I think people being aggressive, its after taking painkillers.

It's an established scientific fact that black people respond to getting high by getting violent.

http://www.amazon.com/Excited-Delirium-Syndrome-Cause-Prevention/dp/0849316111/

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

DarkHorse posted:

EDIT: Gunshot wounds don't typically bleed a lot, notwithstanding getting shot in the heart. From the medical people I've met, gunshot wounds (GSW) look like small black holes on the near side. The bullet can sometimes partially cauterize the wound too if it's point-blank, it's really hot right out the barrel. The exit wound is usually really large and gnarly though, because of expansion.

But... Wouldn't there still be the matter of backward spatter if Zimmerman was shooting Martin while Martin was within a couple of feet of him (let alone while Martin was, as alleged by Zimmerman, on top of Zimmerman while Zimmerman was lying on the ground)? I honestly didn't follow the actual trial, so I've got no idea if this was brought up.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I'm not a medical professional or forensics expert, and I'm not privy to a lot of the details of the case.

However, if Trayvon's shirt was hanging loose from his torso (like if he was leaning over him), I would imagine any limited spatter would be caught by the inside of his shirt.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Okay I'm hoping you guys can help me here but I don't know how to reply to the second person in this discussion as they seem to ignore what I already posted.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I don't know. It feels slightly off to still be talking about the delay in arresting Zimmerman, given that the trial is over and the verdict hasn't really settled anything in the eyes of those who had a problem with it in the first place.

I'm not sure that you even need to respond to the second person, though. They aren't really disagreeing with you.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Ah that's fair enough. I wondered if replying would come across as needlessly defensive.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

General Probe posted:

Ah that's fair enough. I wondered if replying would come across as needlessly defensive.

You were right to call out the race nature of the original article. There's dogwhistles all over it implying that blacks are the true racists.

The only crime was being white in a non-white neighborhood. Obama not speaking about it because he's black. No white equivalent of Jesse Jackson or the Black Panthers because it would be racist.
:qq: WONT ANYBODY THINK ABOUT WHITE PEOPLE :qq:

They don't understand why people were mad about Trayvon in the first place and they stupidly treat race like a team (see response #4 - both sides do wrong ergo whites shouldn't feel bad)

You can't make people read. The best response is to ask them why they came to that conclusion and keep pushing the question until they realize how dumb their original position is.

Packstand
Sep 22, 2012

the posted:

I'm sure most of these will be e-mails from Conservatives. On the opposing side of the coin, I have a crazy Liberal cousin. She's deep into meditation, holistic treatment, organic foods, paleolithic diets, and whatever the pseudoscientific treatment "du jour" is. She constantly posts that new age poo poo on Facebook all the time. I'm almost certain she hasn't vaccinated her child, since I got into a huge argument with her once on Facebook when she suggested that it would have given her son autism. When I mentioned that I needed to get my tetanus booster shot, she proudly proclaimed that she hadn't had one in about 12 years. She's even suggested that the H1N1 outbreak was somehow related to the government. Just showing that there are familiar crazies on both sides of the aisle. I don't know which is worse.

As someone that's in medicine this is just infuriating. You can find these answers on google within 2 seconds from Pubmed, a public access medical journal conglomerate. But these people would rather live in a shroud of ignorance that can actually hurt themselves and their children.

I would have gone off on this bitch.

SOURCE from the 2 second Google search: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15366972

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Packstand posted:

As someone that's in medicine this is just infuriating. You can find these answers on google within 2 seconds from Pubmed, a public access medical journal conglomerate.

That's the problem. People into new age stuff often see institutions like that as part of the problem, which are being paid to fund misinformation so they can pawn off placebos at best, and actual poisons at worse.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

RagnarokAngel posted:

That's the problem. People into new age stuff often see institutions like that as part of the problem, which are being paid to fund misinformation so they can pawn off placebos at best, and actual poisons at worse.

Yeah, it's important to remember that alternative medicine stuff always ends up as a conspiracy theory.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I try to be a skeptical person, I'm probably wrong about a number of things in my life.

I could accept that between the Moon landing, JFK, Roswell, and 9/11 that maybe there was a huge conspiracy to cover up the truth in one of those events. Conspiracies are real, although we can usually figure stuff out after the fact.

What I find crazy is the tendency to believe that ALL of the conspiracies are true. Obama was born in Kenya, the Jews faked the Holocaust and colloidal silver cures AIDS.

It's really scary to me because I know people who used to be reasonable but then they start wandering down the weird path and a few years later I catch up to them on Facebook and they belive in reptoids.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I believe in Reptoids. Donald Rumsfeld is one :v:

http://wonkette.com/439328/donald-rumsfeld-refuses-to-answer-whether-or-not-hes-a-lizard-person in case anyone hasn't seen it already. Louis C.K. point blank asks Donald Rumsfeld if he is a lizard person and the guy deflects the question.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

A former coworker reminds us all of the importance of shedding frivolous pursuits to focus on the essential political issues in life:

His tone is a little harsh, but at least he leads by examp...

:ironicat:

The distribution of posts on his page is 90% minor league soccer, 10% "gently caress you george zimmerman". Changing the world :allears:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Nice Davis posted:

A former coworker reminds us all of the importance of shedding frivolous pursuits to focus on the essential political issues in life:

His tone is a little harsh, but at least he leads by examp...

:ironicat:

The distribution of posts on his page is 90% minor league soccer, 10% "gently caress you george zimmerman". Changing the world :allears:

People like this irritate the poo poo out of me. It's never about making real change in the world, but rather it's about feeling morally superior to others who follow something you don't care about. This guy could probably give less a poo poo about starving kids in Africa, it's just a catch-all thrown out there in hopes of making people think "wow, this guy knows a lot about the world!"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That person sounds like someone who thinks Africa is a country.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

It's the old "you can't care about X because Y is going on." I've got someone making GBS threads up my Facebook thread about white privilege w/r/t Trayvon Martin by saying that I shouldn't care about that story because of Bradley Manning, leaking nuclear reactors, and police drones. ZzzZZZZzzzzzzZzzzz

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Snowman Crossing posted:

It's the old "you can't care about X because Y is going on." I've got someone making GBS threads up my Facebook thread about white privilege w/r/t Trayvon Martin by saying that I shouldn't care about that story because of Bradley Manning, leaking nuclear reactors, and police drones. ZzzZZZZzzzzzzZzzzz

Of course, it's good when you get to turn that kind of logic back on them by pointing out something that's on a far larger scale than anything on Earth; say, the entropy of the universe.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerman-emerged-hiding-truck-crash-rescue/story?id=19735432

Whelp, time to get ready for round two with my mother over this stuff.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Magres posted:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerman-emerged-hiding-truck-crash-rescue/story?id=19735432

Whelp, time to get ready for round two with my mother over this stuff.

He's doing the same exact thing that landed him in trial in order to exonerate himself to the public. Sad thing is, it's probably going to work. Once a vigilante, always a vigilante.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Internet Webguy posted:

He's doing the same exact thing that landed him in trial in order to exonerate himself to the public. Sad thing is, it's probably going to work. Once a vigilante, always a vigilante.

That's honestly what kills me the most about seeing white people say "My son could have been Chris Cervini." Roderick Scott wasn't out patrolling or looking for trouble or being a vigilante, he loving saw a trio of drunk teenagers breaking into people's cars and came out from his house, to stop them. Zimmerman loving stalked a kid for being black in a nice neighborhood.

Myst Hat
Jul 10, 2004
Isn't pulling someone out of a wreck a pretty terrible idea unless you're either a paramedic or the car is on fire/underwater?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Myst Hat posted:

Isn't pulling someone out of a wreck a pretty terrible idea unless you're either a paramedic or the car is on fire/underwater?

Yes, which is exactly what Internet Webguy was just talking about when he said Zimmerman is doing the same things that got him arrested in the first place.

The guy thinks he's a cop/paramedic/first responder/superhero, and he's going to keep endangering himself and others.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Courtesy of Breitbart (and reposted by someone on facebook):

Nice hoodie, thug.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Kinda taking it a step too far with this, eh? I mean I've not been a Zimmerman supporter but I hardly think the guy was combing the streets in a mask and a cape just waiting to jump in and save the day. It was probably a coincidence that he was one of the first people to respond, and he did what anyone would do? They reported no injuries from the family...so if y'all were there you would have stood outside the car telling the family "I'm sorry, we can't help you, we aren't paramedics. Please stay in the car until the authorities arrive."

Ridiculous. You're looking for a reason to hate the guy based on everything else. Maybe its because he's acting like a normal person instead of the monster people framed him as?

Myst Hat
Jul 10, 2004

quote:

Zimmerman was one of two men who came to the aid of a family of four -- two parents and two children -- trapped inside a blue Ford Explorer SUV that had rolled over after traveling off the highway

This wasn't some fender-bender where you'd expect everyone to be shaken up but uninjured. If it's even possible someone has injured their spine, you're supposed to leave them alone until trained professionals arrive. Coincidentally, this is also good advice when you think there's a crime being committed. Make a phone call and then go home.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Gooooooooooooooooooooooooons. You're seriously grasping at straws. I know if I'd just flipped my car I'd hope that people would move on. Not their business.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The guy is out doing lone hero vigilante poo poo again, days after he got acquitted. He has learned literally nothing from this.

Screwing with someone who has been in a wreck can paralyze them for the rest of their life if their spine is messed up and you make it worse. There's a reason you're supposed to leave life threatening stuff to people who actually know what they're doing.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

nsaP posted:

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooons. You're seriously grasping at straws. I know if I'd just flipped my car I'd hope that people would move on. Not their business.

He has a point, guys. Maybe we have the character of a man who followed and murdered an unarmed teen all wrong.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Stay out of that house, Mayor Booker, it's on fire!

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

nsaP posted:

Yea, this is getting a little ridiculous. I mean, sure, it can be a real bad idea to pull people out and possibly injure them, but this is just grasping at straws people. Let's not be a liberal Freep.

Alternatively, :regd08:

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

nsaP posted:

If I was unconscious in a vehicle that wasn't in obvious danger (on fire, underwater), I wouldn't want someone to move me, because I was trained not to move others in that situation. I'd want to have my spine stabilized tyvm. Zimmerman seems incapable of handling his duties as a first responder.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

quote:

"Zimmerman was not a witness to the crash and left after making contact with the deputy," the statement said.

Either his Zimmerman sense was tingling, or he was intently listening to police scanners in order to find a situation where he could be perceived as the hero he's always wanted to be.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

nsaP posted:

Ridiculous. You're looking for a reason to hate the guy based on everything else. Maybe its because he's acting like a normal person instead of the monster people framed him as?
People get really attached to their existing ideas and conclusions, and do everything possible to force further evidence to fit them.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You guys are making assumptions and projecting so much onto the accident and his actions it's pointless to continue. Where was it said that they were unconscious? Any evidence he was listening to a scanner and beat the cops? Any evidence of potential back injuries by the family? Or is this a lot of made up bullshit so you can feel justified in your disgust for the man?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Why would anyone need to make up assumptions to feel disgust towards a man who got away with stalking and shooting an unarmed teenager?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
What if that family had known that what Zimmerman was doing was a danger to their spines and shot him dead? :v:

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

We all know he is a murderer, there's no need to paint him as Hispanic Hitler now.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Internet Webguy posted:

Why would anyone need to make up assumptions to feel disgust towards a man who got away with stalking and shooting an unarmed teenager?

You realize that some conservatives do this exact same thing to Martin right? You sound like a freeper. Hop on over to that thread and get acquainted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

nsaP posted:

You guys are making assumptions and projecting so much onto the accident and his actions it's pointless to continue. Where was it said that they were unconscious? Any evidence he was listening to a scanner and beat the cops? Any evidence of potential back injuries by the family? Or is this a lot of made up bullshit so you can feel justified in your disgust for the man?

nsaP posted:

Kinda taking it a step too far with this, eh? I mean I've not been a Zimmerman supporter but I hardly think the guy was combing the streets in a mask and a cape just waiting to jump in and save the day. It was probably a coincidence that he was one of the first people to respond, and he did what anyone would do? They reported no injuries from the family...so if y'all were there you would have stood outside the car telling the family "I'm sorry, we can't help you, we aren't paramedics. Please stay in the car until the authorities arrive."

You're a complete hypocrite.