Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

El Gar posted:

Does anyone know how to get Desitin out of a felt cat costume, and carpet, and the bathtub? Asking for a friend.

That video is ridiculously cute. Good luck with the Desitin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Re: Desitin

This stuff It get's greasy marks out of clothes, and sticky things off of literally anything. It's the best.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Ashcans posted:

I wish that was an option, but unfortunately we either make the trip our we don't get to see my parents ever. It's a crappy situation, and we won't be doing it often for that reason.

Yeah, toddlerhood is the worst time for travelling. In retrospect, travelling with an infant is great, since they don't really have the independent thought thing going on. I have to fly to Buenos Aires in January, and I'm seriously considering leaving my son with his dad, since he'll be about three then, and just taking the baby, who'll be about 4 months at that point.

If possible, I find red-eye flights to be the best, and try and do those whenever possible, since you have a better chance of them sleeping. I also find that if my kid is physically restrained (such as with a CARES harness or carseat), he pretty much will accept that he can't go anywhere, and will be happier to just accept his fate. If it's just me relying on him staying still, or being held in my lap, it really doesn't work.

iPads are a lifesaver.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Ashcans posted:

I wish that was an option, but unfortunately we either make the trip our we don't get to see my parents ever. It's a crappy situation, and we won't be doing it often for that reason.

I'll see about ripping some Sesame Street; he has seen very little TV at all so we're not really sure what will hold his interest - we had a no-screen policy until he was two and he still sees very little stuff because hardly watch anything ourselves.

When it comes to flying with a 2 year old, there's really only one option:
Give him whatever he wants, deal with the consequences later! :)

I will very soon understand the pain of long haul flights with young kids, in about a week my wife and I are flying this route with our 6 month old, all infant in lap:
Perth->Sydney->Los Angeles->Cincinnati->Minneapolis->Los Angeles->Melbourne->Perth

48 hours of flight time over 3 weeks, kill me now. Luckily the layovers in Sydney and Melbourne are short, and every other stop we're at least on the ground for a couple days to recover before the next flight.

In reality, he is only 6 months, so he should be fairly manageable. I have no doubt we'll be terrible parents and let him zone out to the seatback TV or a tablet or something whenever he gets super cranky. And we should have a bassinet so he can sleep without us holding him on the long haul flights.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
The new prince:

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
I've posted before that I am an accidental co-sleeper and I know several people here are proponents of it. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in sharing their (hopefully successful) experiences because right now I'm getting the feeling (and immense pressure from my mother) that I'll never be able to get her to sleep in her own crib. I also breastfeed her to sleep, which is another "bad habit" according to my mom. I don't want to cause a stir on the thread since I know this is a hot topic, so if you are interested in PMing me I'd surely appreciate it. I can also provide my email address.

Content: I find it refreshing that Kate Middleton didn't try hiding the fact that the baby bump does not immediately go away after birth. Now I'll be interested to see if she breastfeeds.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

frenchnewwave posted:

I've posted before that I am an accidental co-sleeper and I know several people here are proponents of it. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in sharing their (hopefully successful) experiences because right now I'm getting the feeling (and immense pressure from my mother) that I'll never be able to get her to sleep in her own crib. I also breastfeed her to sleep, which is another "bad habit" according to my mom. I don't want to cause a stir on the thread since I know this is a hot topic, so if you are interested in PMing me I'd surely appreciate it. I can also provide my email address.

Content: I find it refreshing that Kate Middleton didn't try hiding the fact that the baby bump does not immediately go away after birth. Now I'll be interested to see if she breastfeeds.

Frankly I feel like you should do whatever works to help everyone sleep and be happy. I get the same crap from my mom and I just smile and nod.

The last two nights I've had luck getting him ready for bed and putting him in his crib when he is sleepy, turning the lights very low, and letting him roll around and babble at his seahorse until he fell asleep. I don't anticipate that that will work every night, but it's nice on the nights that it does work. Otherwise I will nurse or rock him to sleep as always. When he has his twice nightly wake ups, I nurse him back to sleep and put him in his crib after the first, and nurse him back to sleep and cosleep after the second.

Do what feels right for you and your family, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

frenchnewwave posted:

For what it's worth, my mom said that she ended up with each of her three kids "accidentally" sleeping in bed with her and my dad after night nursings. And according to her, we never had any trouble sleeping in our own beds when we were moved there. I think if it works for your family at the time, it works. And everyone else can get the "smile and nod."

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
We coslept and nursed our son to sleep until he was a little under a year, at which point he started getting so wiggly and impossible to cosleep with that we had to move him into his own room. We night weaned at the same time. It was fine, it took a week of his dad going in to comfort him when he woke up. He sang to him and comforted him, and offered water, but didn't let him get out of bed. After a week he slept very well in his own room. He'd wake up once or twice, but get back to sleep with a few pats on his back.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

frenchnewwave posted:

If she does breastfeed, I think that would be. But if she doesn't breastfeed, well, there are so many reasons (we've heard so many in here) why a woman might end up not breastfeeding, and those reasons would probably be pretty personal. I have a feeling that the media will attack her saying she's doing wrong thing, no matter what we see her do.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Knockknees posted:

If she does breastfeed, I think that would be. But if she doesn't breastfeed, well, there are so many reasons (we've heard so many in here) why a woman might end up not breastfeeding, and those reasons would probably be pretty personal. I have a feeling that the media will attack her saying she's doing wrong thing, no matter what we see her do.

Yes very good point. I don't mean to sound as though everyone should breast feed or that it makes for superior moms. I'm just genuinely interested to see if she announces her plans. I do breast and formula so totally understand the reasons for both :)

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012
Poor little prince looks exactly like Prince Charles! :)

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?

ChloroformSeduction posted:

If possible, I find red-eye flights to be the best, and try and do those whenever possible, since you have a better chance of them sleeping.
Our last flight with our then-13 month old was at night (9 pm to midnight) flight, and it was the only flight we've ever taken with him where he would not go to sleep, even though it was well past bedtime. The problem was that with the dark cabin, the bright glow of everyone's iPads was a huge distraction. During the day it's never a problem, and the engine sounds lull him right to sleep.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Ashcans posted:

I'll see about ripping some Sesame Street; he has seen very little TV at all so we're not really sure what will hold his interest - we had a no-screen policy until he was two and he still sees very little stuff because hardly watch anything ourselves.

I expect that after 2 years of no screens, kid will be enraptured with the test pattern. Brightly colored interactive stuff is always a pretty good bet, there are tons of puzzle and dot to dot games you can get on any tablet device, though this is also where you'll find all the in-app purchase scamware that is free...unless your illiterate child presses the large attractive button, then it is 65$. If it is going to be 10+ hour hauls, you'll probably want to shell out for inflight internet, so you can always get something different when what you have runs dry.

Simple pong-like 2 player games will probably work and be interaction together. Read the kid stories. A good variety of carry-on snacks. Also don't be shy about taking the kid for a walk, or letting him pester the stewardesses. Not for long, but sometimes a little 2 minute visit to the flight steward station is enough to really break up the monotony for an hour or two.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

frenchnewwave posted:

My baby slept in bed with me from 6-13 weeks old. I decided I'd try moving her into her own crib once she started sleeping through the night, and the first night I put her in her crib I was so nervous that she'd sleep terribly and wake up and miss me. But instead she slept for 9 hours that night and has had no problems in her crib at all. I was more upset about not waking up and seeing her next to me than she was! I used to breastfeed her to sleep too, but after a while she stopped falling asleep while eating all on her own. She's decided she prefers eating soon after she wakes up instead.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

tse1618 posted:

My baby slept in bed with me from 6-13 weeks old. I decided I'd try moving her into her own crib once she started sleeping through the night, and the first night I put her in her crib I was so nervous that she'd sleep terribly and wake up and miss me. But instead she slept for 9 hours that night and has had no problems in her crib at all. I was more upset about not waking up and seeing her next to me than she was! I used to breastfeed her to sleep too, but after a while she stopped falling asleep while eating all on her own. She's decided she prefers eating soon after she wakes up instead.

I had the opposite issue. We tried keeping her in the crib but even at 4 months she was still waking up every two hours or less to eat (formula fed). We eventually ended up just bringing her into bed with us because we didn't get any sleep otherwise, and she continues to wake up 4+ times a night for food until earlier this week (for reference, she turns one in a couple of weeks). We were told by our doctor that we could attempt to night wean her anywhere from 6 months old, but everything I read about it indicated that, instead of waking up and being fed back to sleep, she would just be waking up and crying uncontrollably because she never. Stops. Eating. Even then, I suspected that part of the reason why she woke up so often had to do with how much she was drinking at night.

On Monday we decided that we were enforcing night weaning and also her staying in her crib because she's old enough to climb out of our bed and muck around if we somehow sleep through it. I thought the weaning would be really, really hard because she has always shown a preference for eating the bulk of her calories at night. I was expecting her to really fight it, but since Tuesday morning she's been sleeping in her crib all night, and eating in the daytime only. She also only woke up twice Monday night, once last night and putting her to bed was miserable the first night (about 45 minutes of constant screaming and trying to shush her without giving in and giving her a bottle), tolerable the second night (15 minutes of crying before she decided to sleep) and tonight she was asleep in less than 5, and we haven't heard a peep out of her even though it is now midnight.

I wish we'd decided to wean her weeks ago--I love waking up next to her, but recently I'm waking up next to her because she woke up, is bored, and decided that punching my face repeatedly or jabbing her finger into my eyeballs and/or nose is a cool way to pass the time.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Grammar Fascist posted:

Our last flight with our then-13 month old was at night (9 pm to midnight) flight, and it was the only flight we've ever taken with him where he would not go to sleep, even though it was well past bedtime. The problem was that with the dark cabin, the bright glow of everyone's iPads was a huge distraction. During the day it's never a problem, and the engine sounds lull him right to sleep.

Oh god, that would be awful. I never even thought about that, and luckily it hasn't been a problem with mine. I guess you don't really know how your kid will react until you take him on the flight. I can't wait until my kid is old enough to watch full length movies, do puzzle books, etc. He's at the age where he needs to move. Short flights are ok, long flights I can find an overnight - the worst are the in-between ones.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

raaaan posted:

I had the opposite issue. We tried keeping her in the crib but even at 4 months she was still waking up every two hours or less to eat (formula fed). We eventually ended up just bringing her into bed with us because we didn't get any sleep otherwise, and she continues to wake up 4+ times a night for food until earlier this week (for reference, she turns one in a couple of weeks). We were told by our doctor that we could attempt to night wean her anywhere from 6 months old, but everything I read about it indicated that, instead of waking up and being fed back to sleep, she would just be waking up and crying uncontrollably because she never. Stops. Eating. Even then, I suspected that part of the reason why she woke up so often had to do with how much she was drinking at night.

On Monday we decided that we were enforcing night weaning and also her staying in her crib because she's old enough to climb out of our bed and muck around if we somehow sleep through it. I thought the weaning would be really, really hard because she has always shown a preference for eating the bulk of her calories at night. I was expecting her to really fight it, but since Tuesday morning she's been sleeping in her crib all night, and eating in the daytime only. She also only woke up twice Monday night, once last night and putting her to bed was miserable the first night (about 45 minutes of constant screaming and trying to shush her without giving in and giving her a bottle), tolerable the second night (15 minutes of crying before she decided to sleep) and tonight she was asleep in less than 5, and we haven't heard a peep out of her even though it is now midnight.

I wish we'd decided to wean her weeks ago--I love waking up next to her, but recently I'm waking up next to her because she woke up, is bored, and decided that punching my face repeatedly or jabbing her finger into my eyeballs and/or nose is a cool way to pass the time.

I'll put her in her crib when she first falls asleep around 8ish, but she's up by 10 or so and sometimes impossible to get back in the crib. I'll bring her into bed, she'll fall asleep within 10 minutes, and then I'll try to put her back in the crib. There's a 20% chance she'll be cool with that, depending on how tired she is. Otherwise she cries until she's back in bed with me. We do this all night long. I have tried letting her cry to see if she's bluffing but after 5 minutes I go get her because she'll get hysterical. I know she's going through a developmental phase now because she's on the brink of crawling, so I'm hoping once she hits that milestone we can try again. I don't mind her sleeping with me, but she's starting to become mobile and I worry for her safety more than anything else.

She also loves punching my face or grabbing my nose. Cute when I come home from work, not so much at 5 am ;)

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

frenchnewwave posted:

I'll put her in her crib when she first falls asleep around 8ish, but she's up by 10 or so and sometimes impossible to get back in the crib. I'll bring her into bed, she'll fall asleep within 10 minutes, and then I'll try to put her back in the crib. There's a 20% chance she'll be cool with that, depending on how tired she is. Otherwise she cries until she's back in bed with me. We do this all night long. I have tried letting her cry to see if she's bluffing but after 5 minutes I go get her because she'll get hysterical. I know she's going through a developmental phase now because she's on the brink of crawling, so I'm hoping once she hits that milestone we can try again. I don't mind her sleeping with me, but she's starting to become mobile and I worry for her safety more than anything else.

She also loves punching my face or grabbing my nose. Cute when I come home from work, not so much at 5 am ;)

We'd been having the same exact situation - in bed by 9, awake by 10:30-11, and difficult to get him to stay asleep when we put him back in his bed after nursing. Giving him a pacifier, patting or rubbing his tummy, and turning on his seahorse really help him. I don't let him cry though, mainly he just fusses a little until he is sound asleep again.

When you take her out of the crib to feed her, don't turn on any lights or change her diaper unless it's full of poop, keeping things dark and quiet and as nonstimulating as possible really help.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
I've heard a lot of good things about the seahorse on the forums, but can't remember the name of it. Can someone please let me know which one it is?

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

An Cat Dubh posted:

I've heard a lot of good things about the seahorse on the forums, but can't remember the name of it. Can someone please let me know which one it is?

This is the one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0083IXKYY

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

An Cat Dubh, the seahorse is awesome, by the way. Highly recommended even from us childless-but-not-for-much-longer people. My husband and I bought one for my baby cousin when he was born. He's five now, and still uses it at bedtime. We're definitely buying one for our son when he comes along - or more than one, most likely. Gotta have a backup, just in case!

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Speaking of bed issues, I have one. We bed share at night. It works for us, everyone's happy and were careful. Lately, we've started putting him in his pack n play next to the bed, which he sleeps in for usually 4-5 hours then he wakes up, I pull him into the bed for the rest of the night.

My issue is - at nap times he will NOT sleep in his pack n play. Even with me there reassuring him he's not alone, he wakes up. So, I end up putting him on our bed (all the pillows and sheets removed), and sitting with him. Even then, I have to be up right next to him for him to sleep longer than 30 minutes.

Up until 4 1/2 months he napped just on me. But I'm looking at going to work soon, so I'm trying to make life a little easier for all of us involved. I'm not a fan of cry it out, but is there anything we can do? I don't know why it's okay at night but not during the day.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Have you tried the process of introducing a lovey?

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Ben Davis posted:

Have you tried the process of introducing a lovey?

how do I make something a lovey? My mommy friends swear by them but I have zero clue how to do it.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

An Cat Dubh posted:

Smythes actually has this on sale now! I need to pick up a spare for Rory while they're cheap
http://www.toys.ie/FisherPrice-Soothe-N-Glow-Seahorse-Blue-!116968-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=5de86081-de83-40c9-a7a1-c27ccfc5ac7d

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

An Cat Dubh posted:

The seahorse used to work for us but lately she's just not having it. I do recommend it though. It helped many times.

We've also never been able to nap in a pnp or crib. Always in a swing, carseat, stroller.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
Awesome, thanks for the replies. We're having some trouble with sleep so it's time to try something new. I've been meaning to go to Smythes to see if there's any good age appropriate toys. Almost 4 months is a weird in between time in the toy world. Aaron seems to have grown bored of his playmate and it seems like all the other neat "bigger" toys and playthings are for 6 months and older.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Lullabee posted:

how do I make something a lovey? My mommy friends swear by them but I have zero clue how to do it.

We created a lovey mostly by just having a stuffed animal that we always made sure to give her when she went to bed. Just part of that whole association thing.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
We love the seahorse too, when Soren went to bed I used his hand to turn it on and eventually he twigged. Now he turns it on himself when he wakes up. The good thing about him being used to it when going off to sleep is that when he rolls over onto it while he's sleeping he doesn't wake up (and he does a lot - the boy is like a fish out of water while sleeping, flip flopping all over the place).

When he is in the toy inbetweeny stage I just get the toys for the next age bracket that I figure are ok for him to play with and supervise closely. I find most of the time it's just that they require a bit more coordination for the kid to use properly, so I let him flail at them and if he hits the button and makes the lights flash and the thing go woo, then hurray!

I can't believe my little dude is going to be a year old in 8 weeks, that is crazy ridiculous.

Edited to add: I got this great advice from this forum about introducing a lovey.

Ben Davis posted:

I say this a lot, but my doc said 6 months was a fine age to introduce a small, firmly-stuffed comfort object into the crib at night. We started by nursing with it, and I tucked it into my bra for a while so it'd smell like me, then I'd wrap his little arm around it in the crib. We also put the musical seahorse in there and played it when we left the room and it was time for him to go to bed. Eventually he'd roll over and hit it himself and fall back asleep.

iwik fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 27, 2013

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Lullabee posted:

It is just like Pavlov's dogs. Pick something for a lovey. Both my boys use one of those stuffy-blanket things that look like a stuffed animal top with a small blanket bottom. And a seahorse. From the time they were very tiny (but you could start any time) I nursed/fed them with the lovey. Put the lovey in the crib with them to look at. Cuddled them with the lovey. Pretty much did all lead up to all sleepy times with the lovey in tow--and played the seahorse during all these times too. Nursing to sleep? With lovey in arm and seahorse playing. Any sort of walking, rocking, cuddling that was in anyway a lead up to sleep had the lovey and seahorse playing. You want them to associate A Thing with sleep. Then, once the association is made, you can give them A Thing (and play seahorse) and that makes them sleepy. Then they have them all night long to soothe themselves back to sleep when they naturally wake up a bit. My five year old (!!! Did I just type that?! About to be a kindergartener!) still uses his lovey and seahorse to sleep. Goes to sleep with his face right on seahorse because he likes the light.

AS far as age appropriate toys go, I have never looked at the recommended ages for anything. I just used my own judgement: Is there anything that can poke? Small enough to choke on? Anything that could be chewed off easily? Because like iwik said, the recommendations are often for developmental stages. Anything I'd give a 6 month old, I'd give a 4 month old. Who cares if they can't work it properly? So long as it's not a hazard and they like it, that's all that really matters.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
My (almost) five-year old is pretty scared of the dark. He calls me or his mom a couple times a night, after being put to bed. He wants to come down and sleep with us, but...no.

What can I do to make him feel better?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Just call me Ben "Use a Lovey" Davis.

Oxford Comma, did anything cause his fear that you noticed? What have you tried so far?

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
So I'm really concerned I'm drying up. My pumps have recently been 2-4oz instead of 8-12 like I'm used to. Ben's been having only about 2 wet diapers a day but 2-3 dirty. We've been experimenting with food for the last 2 months or so (he's 10 months now), but he mostly just likes cereal puffs. I'm very concerned about proper nutrition if he's not getting it from me anymore...

After a lot of crying and "why is this happening"-ing I think that it's probably that I started exercising again a few weeks ago. I don't count calories, I just eat when I'm hungry and so maybe I'm not getting enough calories to make his milk? I'm offering him the breast every time he says he's hungry (we sign) and he doesn't stay for long. However, he'll eat those puffs until the cows come home. Can I get my milk back or is it too late? What do I give my kid to drink if I'm not nursing him?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

SassySally posted:

So I'm really concerned I'm drying up. My pumps have recently been 2-4oz instead of 8-12 like I'm used to. Ben's been having only about 2 wet diapers a day but 2-3 dirty. We've been experimenting with food for the last 2 months or so (he's 10 months now), but he mostly just likes cereal puffs. I'm very concerned about proper nutrition if he's not getting it from me anymore...

After a lot of crying and "why is this happening"-ing I think that it's probably that I started exercising again a few weeks ago. I don't count calories, I just eat when I'm hungry and so maybe I'm not getting enough calories to make his milk? I'm offering him the breast every time he says he's hungry (we sign) and he doesn't stay for long. However, he'll eat those puffs until the cows come home. Can I get my milk back or is it too late? What do I give my kid to drink if I'm not nursing him?

That doesn't seem like nearly enough wet diapers. He should be having 4-6 wet a day, minimum. Offer the breast more often, not just when he asks. Ten month olds are probably very distractible and busy, so it may help to go find a dark quiet room to minimize distractions so he'll stay on the breast longer.. Always offer the breast before offering table food. They can fill their belly up with puffs and feel full, but they're mostly devoid of actual nutrition, especially as compared to breastmilk.

Have you started your period back yet? I noticed a small supply dip the first few days of my period the first couple months it was back, but it went back to normal in a couple days. Are you drinking enough water?

He should receive either breastmilk or formula as his main source of nutrition until he's a year old.

There might be helpful info for you here:
http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/pumping_decrease/
http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-how/
http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/enoughmilk-older/

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
I'm on my 2nd depo-provera and had no trouble or decrease with the first. I've not technically had my period back because of the shot...

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.
When my son was 10 months old we went through a similar experience. We went home for Christmas, where I didn't pump, I just let David nurse, which always made my supply dip a little bit. Just as I was getting it back up to where it usually was, I got that nasty stomach flu that was going around. I went from pumping 6-10 ounces per pumping session to less than 1 ounce.

For us, that seemed like a good opportunity to daytime wean (and I was running out of frozen milk quickly), so we switched to formula for the daytime feedings and still nursed before bed and first thing in the morning.

His growth was pretty stagnant between his 12 and 15 month appointments, but we don't know if that was related to switching to formula or just because growth slows down about then anyway.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Research has found that diet doesn't have as much as an effect on supply as people like to blame it for (the key evidence is that women in developing countries with much much less to eat still have prosperous milk supplies). I agree that you need to be offering much more frequently and ideally in a quiet, boring place so that he can have a good feed. How often do you change his diaper? If you're using disposables, you're probably getting more wet diapers than you think, but it still doesn't sound like enough.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Oxford Comma posted:

My (almost) five-year old is pretty scared of the dark. He calls me or his mom a couple times a night, after being put to bed. He wants to come down and sleep with us, but...no.

What can I do to make him feel better?

My five year old hates the dark. He has a nightlight, and his seahorse (this is why he goes to sleep with his face right on the thing). He also has a little lantern that he sets on his night stand and turns on. I go in and turn it off after he's asleep. Sometimes I leave his door open so he can see through the hallway/landing that we have a light on in our bedroom and he's not alone. (But if he decides to have a bunch of getting up shenanigans, that door gets closed.) We've had multiple talks about how even at night in the dark, he's never alone, and Mommy and Daddy never leave him alone. We've looked around his room with a flashlight to show that the same things that are there in the light are there in the dark too--that the dark doesn't change anything in his room.

Patience, reassurance, and repetition. Tim has gotten much better, so long as he has all of his little lights with him and his cadre of stuffed animals and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bananas
Feb 16, 2011
My son is almost 9 months and is starting full time daycare in just over a month's time. He's an awful sleeper, has been bed-sharing for months and even then wakes up every 2 hours at best (cot is every 1 hour and harder to resettle). He's fed to sleep except daytime naps which are in the pram as it's the only way he'll sleep for 90mins with no one beside him. And he's still breastfed on demand (along with his solids). So it's going to be a really big adjustment.

I got some free-flow training bottle/cups to try and start giving him formula during the day but he just won't take it (he's never taken a bottle and dislikes formula, I've gone through all kinds). I know I can't pump enough for his daytimes so it'll have to be formula or nothing :(. I was making slow progress with not feeding him to sleep but if he's going to want to feed at night more then that's probably going to go completely out the window anyway.

I think that to help him adjust to daycare I should be trying harder now with routines, sleep and giving him bottles. But I really really want to just coddle and baby him for our last month together, though I'm scared I'll hand him over and he won't eat or sleep (and they'll think I'm a terrible mother).

What should I do? Should I stop worrying about helping him adjust and just enjoy our time, or is it going to make it even worse for him later?