Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Wow, they added AE res spells for clerics.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=1346

Midnight City posted:

I'm on FV, I've tried boxing in the past and just really hated it. Zoning time didn't just double, it more than tripled, even with the background FPS turned up auto follow turning acts like a yo-yo where it's like a drunken driver swerving all over the road when I try to make a turn.

Hmm, do you use the setting called "Least memory usage" under Options, Video, Advanced? It makes zoning 3-4 times faster and makes the game a lot more enjoyable, really. I regularly zoned 4 boxes at once when I last played with no issues. Auto-follow is finicky, but you can learn to deal with it, even around corners.

Maybe it's also time to upgrade your computer; at least check if you have more than enough RAM.

Using ISBoxer is a must for making boxing enjoyable, IMO. When my Monk brings in a mob and I press my "all guns fire" hotkey, my 3 other boxes melt the current target. Lots of fun.

Another *huge* benefit of just dual-boxing is that you can now enter missions on your alone, with one or two mercs out. Missions require at least 3 group memebers.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sounds like you need to upgrade you computer. My old rig couldn't even handle 2 boxing at the minimum specs. My new one can handle 4+ boxes all zoning at the same time on max settings. It's night and day.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
For boxing, ideally you want 1GB of RAM free per instance - even with low mem usage, EQ is a whore about releasing RAM. Preferably a quad or hex CPU as well so you can dedicate cores to instances. Anything less and you're going to see increasingly bad performance problems.

Also, end process on EQVoiceService or w/e unless you're actually using it. It just sits in the background and eats memory due to a mem leak in the code for it.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I'm on an i5 OC'd to 4.6ghz, 16gb mem, 560 Ti and an SSD, I never used the least memory setting and it's improved zoning times a little.

I could four box in WoW just fine but EQ following makes giant god drat swerves all over the place.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That's weird. My computer is slightly less powerful and it runs 4+ boxes smooth as silk even with them all autofollowing.

Xars
Jul 7, 2013

Midnight City posted:

I'm on an i5 OC'd to 4.6ghz, 16gb mem, 560 Ti and an SSD, I never used the least memory setting and it's improved zoning times a little.

I could four box in WoW just fine but EQ following makes giant god drat swerves all over the place.

In EQ, Autofollow is based on frame rate. So if the frame rate of your boxes is laggy, then you'll have problems with autofollow. Do you use ISBoxer? What settings are you using overall?

If you can get your frame rate to improve, your autofollow problems will decrease.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
There is a setting for background framerate somewhere in the options menu. Set that to match your normal framerate if you are boxing.

si
Apr 26, 2004
I found that setting it to 30 background while 60 foreground leads to the best results for me. Higher than that and it starts to tax the CPU a bit with 4 boxes.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
I 4-5 box on my laptop with a 2.2ghz i7, 8gb ram, GT550M just fine so I can only assume it's a settings thing.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

For multiboxing, do you guys have separate installs for each instance?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Carl Seitan posted:

You don't have to, but separate installs means you can have different settings on each account.

Xars
Jul 7, 2013

Carl Seitan posted:

No I don't. I use ISBoxer. It creates virtual files of each characters info, but they all use the same EQ directory to run the game.

Setup time is 5 mins. First time, it will probably take you longer, but it's worth it in the end. Cost is about $3 per month.

Evor 3
Feb 19, 2010

Midnight City posted:

Finally decided to just make a necro and not deal with the SK problem. He's max AA'd and fully raid geared and his damage still feels like absolute poo poo even when I load a mob up on dots, unless I'm using VoD. I'm not saying they need buffed or anything, just thought it'd be different.

I'll keep the SK fully geared though so I can keep running PL sessions for people. Making 300k an hour is too insane to pass up by cannibalizing his gear, if I'd made some other melee class I know I'd end up talking myself into doing it.

From memory the must have items for necro are the OMM robe and epic 2.5, highest EM I can afford (probably T2 raid), what am I forgetting? Necro is still all about just loading up on dots and FDing (when you can't kite) while your pet tanks?

Another technique is to bust a healer merc out, load up all four swarm pet spells and just bury your target in a sea of skeletons. In Evantil I can take down even and yellow con mobs with two cycles of four swarm pets and a couple flash dots in a reasonable amount of time. If your really hungry for XP, dismiss the healer merc and just recast your main pet once it gets killed.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

drat that sounds nice.

One thing I don't know about is pet armor/weapons. There's apparently a whole lot of it that wasn't there when I played, or it didn't have as big a focus or I'm just dumb and never noticed. What pet stuff should I be giving my pet if I'm going to be using him for tanking or just dps?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Xars posted:

No I don't. I use ISBoxer. It creates virtual files of each characters info, but they all use the same EQ directory to run the game.

Setup time is 5 mins. First time, it will probably take you longer, but it's worth it in the end. Cost is about $3 per month.

I don't understand why it costs a subscription fee. It's not like you're using their servers each time you use the program, right?

It feels like paying a monthly fee for Solitaire.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Alternately, root a sumbitch with pestilent, stack a bunch of dots on him, find another and repeat. Once you figure out how many dots it takes to kill something in one cycle, root rotting is by far the easiest and only slightly slower than kiting

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

Node posted:

I don't understand why it costs a subscription fee. It's not like you're using their servers each time you use the program, right?

It feels like paying a monthly fee for Solitaire.

Because they like making money for what they designed, built, and maintain, and the market for it doesn't exactly experience constant growth. It's worth substantially more than $3 a month if you're multiboxing with any regularity, IMO.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Midnight City posted:

Looks like they're restarting the recruit a friend thing, but the new one's bonuses aren't anywhere near as good as they were.

I'll still go for it though, so if there's anyone who wanting to start playing again who hasn't in the last 6 months and does the recruit thing, I'll PL you to 80-90 with at least a few hundred AA's, help you with your 2.0 and your T5 merc quest. I think the only thing you need to do is accept the recruit and spend $10 to activate it. I'm on FV and play a lot, so if anyone is interested just leave an email or IM name.

Wow, that is really tempting. I got a rogue and shadow knight to 90 with about 1200 AA or so before I quit. Right before Veil of Alaris came out it was basically sit around in HoT zones waiting for groups or soloing lower level content for experience (as the rogue), and as the shadow knight trying to get all the AA to be a good swarm kiter (never got enough AA to be that great at it).

Some of my favorite moments playing EQ were as my necromancer. I kited plane of fire tables from 60-65 and was one of the first necromancers to 65. I also spent probably hundreds of hours (lol) in the plane of tactics kiting Diaku. Man what a depressing planes of power/omens of war life I led.

What classes are the most viable for soloing at 90+ now? I'm sure necromancers are a given but what else is out there?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Wizards are pretty crazy from what I've seen. Can root-nuke and do a horrendous amount of damage. The way aggro works now, wizards can be pretty fun to play in groups. Mages seem pretty strong too

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Chanters solo fine at 100. You gotta work for it though!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Warriors and Clerics suck for soloing at 100, maybe Shaman, too. Pretty sure everyone else has some kind of trick to being able to do some cool soloing. Not all of them can come close to HS/decap/swarming exp and may require some specialized areas or zones, but the option is there.
And even though they suck by themselves, a war and clr can do some decent swarming together thanks to SR.

As a druid, the best solo exp I've found is the corrupted akhevans in poshadows, I can keep about 27 down for the spawn cycle. They're worth over 1aa/kill with lesson. I've seen groups exping up there and not killing nearly that many. Holy gently caress how it pisses me off that two groups think they're camping that room when I can still pull 22 a cycle. Killing less than half of what I'm clearing must be awful group exp. But boy do they rage about it.

Evor 3 posted:

Another technique is to bust a healer merc out, load up all four swarm pet spells and just bury your target in a sea of skeletons. In Evantil I can take down even and yellow con mobs with two cycles of four swarm pets and a couple flash dots in a reasonable amount of time. If your really hungry for XP, dismiss the healer merc and just recast your main pet once it gets killed.

From what I've listened to of the necros in guild, swarm pets and swiftdots are pro as gently caress for necro group dps.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 20, 2013

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Okay answered the pet equipment answer in game, problem is that on FV mages put up the armor and weapons for 1k each and they all manage to sell out, so I can either pay that or what I'm thinking of doing is PLing a mage to summon the stuff for myself. Is this the worst idea ever or as a necro will the mage stuff really make a big difference?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I just did the War for Rivervale. My god, the trains, the trains. You pull one, it's attached to some contingent, so it agros that, but the pathing fucks up, they agro another group, that group agros another group. I gave up on trying to destroy the ballistae by clearing out the mobs around it and just ranged dps it with a shaman. It took forever.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

jetz0r posted:

From what I've listened to of the necros in guild, swarm pets and swiftdots are pro as gently caress for necro group dps.

It's because a decent group kills stuff so fast that regular necro dots do nothing. I use 2 swarm pets and the 3 swifts, mob's generally dead before any of them are off cooldown. Just those 5 keep you at least competitive on dps, if not dwarfing most classes

Xars
Jul 7, 2013

Flarestar posted:

Because they like making money for what they designed, built, and maintain, and the market for it doesn't exactly experience constant growth. It's worth substantially more than $3 a month if you're multiboxing with any regularity, IMO.

If you're multiboxing on Test with zero subscription costs for a Gold membership, then paying $3 per month for ISBoxer to control 3/6/12/24toons (whatever your PC can handle) is chump change compared to the number of hours a month you're entertaining yourself. IMO at least.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I currently have a 92 nec on test and want to add a box. I was thinking of adding a mage so I'd get another pet, another merc, and the dps. Or just going with a bard, since they require like zero effort and I'd still get the extra merc.

Can pets be set to auto assist, so like if one group member gets hit, the other's pet will automatically attack on its own?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Depends how lazy you feel. Bard compliments necro extremely well but a mage pet to offtank is always a large boon. Then again, with some AA there's very little if anything a bard has problems pulling. If you're looking to just XP, get a bard. If you want to camp named, get the mage. More effort, more reward in my opinion.

Also pets can't do that. Special coding to prevent afk boxing I'm assuming. Unless the pet owner gets whacked, the pet does nothing.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

RCarr posted:

What happened to the Fippy Darkpaw server? Did it merge with something eventually?

Fippy and Vulak are truckin along. Apparently Fippy's main guild downed the last event needed to start the 3 month timer for The Buried Sea last night, and EoE on Vulak is a day or two out (we got hosed up by people not paying attention on Udengar and slowing him).

Fippy has a reasonable population, Vulak is basically EoE and two other guilds that are 1-3 guys boxing 6-12 characters each. If you want to play on Progression and have no competition for anything, come to Vulak (and join up with us in EoE if you're not a moron) but if you want to do progression and have a server that has SOME people on it to interact with, go to Fippy.

The word is they'll merge Fippy and Vulak when either of us clearly stall on an expansion. I don't forsee that happening with TSS, TBS, and maybe SoF.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Are most goons on Test still? Do I need to sub to play there?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

There's still quite a few. And no you don't. You get all expansions and a gold sub for free.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Is there a place to see all of the hero's forge sets and what they look like, including the newest ones?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Here's a bigass picture of them
https://www.everquest.com/images/community/2012/08/qa/armor_big.jpg

That's without the new snakeman one though.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

That's also the pre-revamped bulky versions of the armor, the newer versions are significantly trimmer and in some cases the textures/colors are noticeably different too.

Xars
Jul 7, 2013
ISBoxer Guide for EverQuest Test Server

This is a guide to setting up IS Boxer (Build #41) for EverQuest. The Test server is recommended due to its permanent Gold subscription status. This status allows for Journeyman Mercs and unlimited AA.

My recommendation is to run 3 toon box crews, even if you eventually want to run a 6 toon crew. If you’re leveling characters up, it’s easier to level 3 toons with 3 mercs than 6 under-geared, under-skilled, under-powered toons.

Download your free trial of ISBoxer at isboxer.com. You’ll need to setup an account and download/activate two programs, InnerSpace and ISBoxer Suite. For reference, ISBoxer suite is where you create your box team and configure your options. InnerSpace is the program that launches and runs your team in-game.

Load these with icons on your desktop/folder near where you start-up the EverQuest launcher. Launch both programs. InnerSpace should show up as a red circle icon in your system tray near your clock and ISBoxer suite should be an open window showing three options, “File”, “Wizards” and “Help”. If you hover your mouse over the red circle icon of innerSpace, you should see when your subscription ends. This means you’re logged in and ready to go.

Now, I’m going to have you step back a bit so you can optimize the new toons you’ll be making on the EQ Test server. Close ISBoxer suite and load up the EverQuest launcher. If you have any old toon’s on the EQ live servers, load up the live version of EQ.

What you want to do is consolidate any platinum on any live server you’ve previously played on onto one character per server. If you had multiple accounts from the past, consolidate these toon’s plat onto one character, but choose a different account to host the toon with the plat.

Example you had Tom1, Tom2 and Tom3 account names in the past. You played on 3 different live servers (in current form after all the mergers). Pick ToonA on Tom1, ToonB on Tom2, and ToonC on Tom3 to host each live servers cash. You’ll be using the /testcopy command (hold one sec) to move plat from a live server to the test server. I think /testcopy is limited to once per account, not per character. You can use /testcopy every 8 hours.

Now before you use/testcopy, head over to the Loyalty Vendor in PoK, across from the stone to Crescent Reach, in the neutral area. Check to see if in the past you accrued/kept any loyalty points from old subscriptions. These decay over time, so if you haven’t played in a year or more, than you probably don’t have any, but checking is worthwhile. What you want to buy with your Loyalty points is Bags of Plat. You’ll get 16,000 plat for each bag. You can do this on one toon per account, which is why I had you consolidate all plat on each server onto one toon and use multiple accounts if you had plat on multiple live servers (you can also just make up new accounts for free if you need more accounts because you played on multiple live servers).

Once you’ve fully loaded up this toon with plat, make sure you camp out and exit back to the server select screen. Plat transfers don’t always save on the server side right away, so we’re forcing a save. Load back into you toon and use /testcopy. Camp your toon out and exit completely out of EQ.

(Side note: you can transfer virtually infinite amounts of plat to Test server, which is why Test server doesn't have a rational economy. Even if you can only garner 10k on one toon on one server, you can copy that toons cash to test and then do a camp/relog and hand off the cash to a new toon on a brand new account you just created, have that toon camp/relog/copy and then transfer it to another new toon, etc. Your 10k can be made into 100k with ten accounts (nine new) and you can do it three times a day.)

Load the EQ launcher again and this time change from Live version to Test version (it’s in the upper left).
Log into the Test server and verify your toon and its plat. Transfer your plat into the shared bank unless you are going to use this toon/this account as part of your box group. I’ll assume you’re not.

Re-load the EQ launcher and log into the accounts you’ll be using for your box crew. (If you want new accounts to do this, go to the SOE web page before this step and create your new accounts for EQ.) Your box crew accounts should all have the same password. This will make logging in easier when boxing.

Make up your box crew characters. Have them rally at the same point in game, like PoK, if you are using different races. You can load multiple instances of EQ onto your computer using the launcher (game in windowed mode) and if your computer is super-slow at this point, you may want to consider hardware upgrades. You should use a common UI on all the toons. There’s an advantage to having certain windows/buttons all at the same exact point on the screen when you are running your box crew. So use /loadskin, etc to setup your UI for your toons. You can use this time to transfer plat to your new toons. You really just need enough plat to hire your first mercs. Also, don’t forget to use /testbuff on new toons. You’ll instantly level to 25, plus get some basic gear in all slots plus all spells and all skills maxxed. This is very helpful. With your toons now ready to go, log out of all EQ instances back to your desktop. You may want to do a restart to clear your memory, but that depends on your computer.

[Now to the ISBoxer Setup portion of the Guide]

[Step 1]
Now load up InnerSpace and ISBoxer suite. In ISBoxer, choose “Wizards” and then “Quick Setup Wizard”. For game, select EverQuest. On the next screen, the characters you created on the Test Server should show up. If so, select them and for the “Game” and “Game Profile” drop down, select “EQ” and “no patch me”. The “no patch me” selection is important. (Side note: You patch EQ with the launcher BEFORE you log in your box team. Just like if you were only playing one instance/account/toon.) Finally, add the character to your team. Do this in the order you want to see the toons, Tank, DPS, Healer or whatever you want. If your characters didn’t show up, add them now. You should add in the account name to the optional setting, but if you forget, don’t worry it can be done later. When all done, click “Next” in the lower right.

[Step 2]
Give your Team a name. Click “Next”.

[Step 3]
Now to setting up your monitor. Using the drop down in the Window layout, choose the setup you want. The black numbered areas show you where your toon window will reside on your monitor screen. You can choose to have your window task bar show up at the bottom (my preference) so you can easily launch any application you need while boxing/afking, etc. When done, choose “Next”.

[Step 4]
For the CPU settings, stick with the default and choose “Next”.

[Step 5]
You are now at the “How would you like to control the game?” window. “MMO – Standard” should be auto-selected in the upper left. Keep that. The white area below that is tabbed with “Hotkeys”. I think that “Follow Me” and “Assist Me” have settings initially (I think I cleared mine), but mine are blank as I don’t use ISBoxer for this. In EQ, I created my own /target leader, /stand, /follow macro button. Most important, at the bottom, is the choice of “Broadcasting of 1 through =” and the top button is selected. I recommend you select the bottom button. The top button will put green boxes on your screen that you are supposed to move over your in-game bar of buttons, but I think that’s more complicated then just choosing the invisible option. If you get one last pop-up about “Use alternate Key Maps”, just stick with the highlighted first option and click “OK”. (I think you get this by choosing the invisible selection, but I’m not exactly sure.)

[Step 6]
You are now back at the main screen of ISBoxer suite. In the upper left, click on the “+” next to Character Sets and you should see what you just created. Go to “File” and save this. (I’d also use “Save as” and make a backup.) Then choose “File” and “Export All to InnerSpace”. You may get some prompts about adjusting the screen size, so just click “ok” for all of these until you get to the final popup window saying that everything exported correctly.

[Setting up Steps 1-6 could take as little as one minute in total time, probably not your first time, but it is quick.]

You are now ready to start playing.

Right click on the lower right red circle icon in your system tray, move up to Character Sets and choose your Team. IS will now start loading you EQ instances. This may take a minute or two. Just wait a few; don’t start clicking around or entering keyboard commands. One by one your instances will load in the primary spot and then be placed into their specific window area. When all your instances are loaded, look to the upper left. You should see two icons with the letter A multiple times and one letter Z. The left icon is your Key Map icon. If there are green arrows (and it should be green based on the options we chose) from the big A to the small A and small Z, then it is active (or “on”). The right icon is the Repeater icon. If there are grey arrows (and these are probably grey from our chosen options too) from the big A to the small A’s then it is not active (or “off”). These are the settings you want when playing. You want Key Maps on and Repeater off, generally. However, this is not want you want to log into your accounts and select your toons.

Note (in general):

Key Maps – Key Maps is the ISBoxer term that means “I want to duplicate/send the keys from 1 through = to all screens, but no other keys”. Key Maps is how you effectively control boxing without doing something extraordinarily dumb. In-game, you want Key Maps on.

Repeater – Repeater is where you send all keys and mouse commands to all windows. Repeater is highly usefully situationally, but can also be disastrous. In-game, you want Repeater off.

So to log everything in, click on the green arrow icon of Key Maps to turn the arrows grey. Keep Repeater off for the moment and check each EQ instance by clicking on each window. Make sure each window is logging into the right account and if not change the account name for each now. (When you exit out of the game, ISBoxer will save this for next time so you should only have to do this your first time logging in.) When done, click on the first window (to make it primary) and then click the Repeater icon so that the arrows turn green. Mouse over to the password box and click with your mouse. Visually check to see that the mouse icon is active and in the right spot for all your windows. Now enter your password and then use your mouse to click login. All instances of EQ should load to the server select screen. When all instances have finished loading, use your mouse to select Test Server and log into character select. At this point, you may need to turn Repeater off if you need to adjust the character selection on any one window (after the first time loading up, this too should default to your box toon). Have your team ready, and with Repeater on, “Enter World”.

Once in EQ, turn off Repeater and make an invite button for your main toon. Click to "invite" and then with Repeater back on, you can have all toons accept the invite at once, if your UI is consistent. Make up a “Follow” macro key and place it in the same spot on your hotbar for the follow toons (on the main toon leave this spot blank). Make up assist keys on the follow toons. Try to have similar actions tied to one key.

Example:
1. On Main toon this turns on attack; on Follow toons this is the assist key. (Use TAB to target nearest NPCs. Since TAB isn't KeyMapped, it won't be sent to other screens.)
2. Tank spam key for Main toon; usually blank for Follow toons or mob debuffs like Tash/Malo
3. Main DPS key for Main and Follow toons.
4. Slow on shm/ench; blank for others
5. Targeted heal on Main Tank from healer
6. Group heal from healer
7. Blank
8. Blank
9. Blank
10. Blank
- Sit/Stand for all
= Main toon is blank; Follow key you create for Follow toons

This should get you into EQ and playing fairly quickly. Practice running around PoK or some newbie zone first. Figure out what you want your strategy/tactics to be on very easy mobs. As I mentioned in the beginning, it’s easier leveling 3 toons with 3 mercs than 6 toons. For mercs, pick one Tank, one DPS (I prefer Melee/Rogue) and one Healer. Use the right click function on each toon name to set their roles. You really just need the Tank merc to have “Main Tank” selected for him to agro/control adds.

(Goon tip: This is how you can AFK EQ while boxing. Just park your three toons in a camp where a few mobs will spawn and auto-agro on you. The Tank merc will Taunt off the mobs and auto-attack. The same for the Melee DPS merc. The Healer Merc will heal the tank. The Healer merc has an insane amount of mana and your Tank merc can easily take on multiple toons without Slow. Thus, all you have to do is stand in the camp with your 3 toons and the 3 Mercs will level you up (or get a poo poo ton of AAs for you). This works up to almost the highest levels (I haven't tested it above 75, but it works until then and should work for a bit more). So setup your group in a camp before you go to work and watch them grind out 8-10 levels while you're AFK. If you're doing AAs, you need to be able to check in every few hours as getting 30 AA doesn't take that long usually.)

Finally, most people when playing one toon in a group camp a spot and pull mobs to the camp. When boxing, it's easier to plow through a zone/area using auto-follow. This is why you can add melee DPS (merc or toon) to your box crew. The melee will be in fighting range via auto-follow. If you're playing the tank, just move past the mob and turn it (like a good raid tank would do) and your melee dps toons will be attacking from the back. Boxing spell casters like wizards is the easiest, but sustained dps is higher for melee toons even without discs.

Experiment and have fun on Test.

Xars fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 22, 2013

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Thank you thank you thank you 1000 times thank you

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

I do something similar for my keymaps. I make a VirtualCombat keymap. Add some keys like
  • SpamButton
  • Aggro manage
  • ShortBurst
  • ShortBuffs
  • BurnCooldowns
With no actions and no binds.

Then I copy the key map for each toon that will do the keys:
RogKeys keymap. Actions are in parenthesis
  • SpamButton (backstab)
  • Aggro manage (evade/delusion)
  • ShortBurst (onslaught, gash)
  • ShortBuffs (thief's eyes, absorbing agent)
  • BurnCooldowns (hits all your burn poo poo macros)

WarKeys
  • SpamButton (bash)
  • Aggro manage (ridicule)
  • ShortBurst (gut punch, knucklebreak)
  • ShortBuffs (field armorer, steadfast defense)
  • BurnCooldowns (hits all your burn poo poo macros)

All these abilities tie in pretty close to their equivalents cooldown wise.

So we have 3 keymaps that don't really do anything, there's no way to trigger them yet. So we make another keymap that ties them together.

CombatKeys(This is where I set what keys to press to trigger everything)
  1. SpamButton ; do SpamButton in VirtualCombat->all
  2. Aggro manage ; do Aggro manage in VirtualCombat->all
  3. ShortBurst ; do ShortBurst in VirtualCombat->all
  4. ShortBuffs ; do ShortBuffs in VirtualCombat->all
  5. BurnCooldowns ; do BurnCooldowns in VirtualCombat->all
Then on warrior I set the Virtual Mapped Key option to turn VirtualCombat to WarKeys, and on rogue I set VirtualCombat to RogKeys.

I also have a bard so I have it set up to turn off the entire virtual combat when I switch to his screen for pulling. So when I push 1, for example, it just makes me fade instead of making my other chars spam things.

It's way more complicated but gives you more freedom out of just broadcasting the same key to every screen. You can bash on one char and backstab on another even if they have different keybinds in the game. It's all explained pretty well here: http://isboxer.com/wiki/HOWTO:Configure_ISBoxer_like_a_pro

Or you can be smart and just use different hotbar sets but gently caress that poo poo.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 22, 2013

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's

jetz0r posted:

As a druid, the best solo exp I've found is the corrupted akhevans in poshadows, I can keep about 27 down for the spawn cycle. They're worth over 1aa/kill with lesson. I've seen groups exping up there and not killing nearly that many. Holy gently caress how it pisses me off that two groups think they're camping that room when I can still pull 22 a cycle. Killing less than half of what I'm clearing must be awful group exp. But boy do they rage about it.

Can you elaborate on this a bit? I have a druid on FV with like 5k AA but I got bored never finding a group and could never find a decent place to solo. How are you killing them etc.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Started playing this again on Luclin Stromm with 3 friends, we're all fresh characters and level 45 so far. Any tips for gearing up or leveling up aside from random Defiant stuff? we went back to Crescent Reach and did the achieves there to fill up some empty slots like rings/neck/earrings but we're still wearing some stuff from the tutorial due to bad luck with RNG.

We've been running the Kaesora Mission outside the bank in PoK for exp/defiant drops and are wondering if there's anything else like that available? We tried LDoN but the exp there seemed glacial in comparison. Group at the moment is Cleric, Bard, Monk, Ranger, Enchanter and Shaman. None of us has really played the game since about 2001 so we're pretty clueless as to all the new stuff.

Also wondering about making more plat since spells are really starting to hurt our limited funds. We only have silver/free accounts at the moment so we can't buy the bag of plat listed in the ISBoxer guide above.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Fishy Joe posted:

Can you elaborate on this a bit? I have a druid on FV with like 5k AA but I got bored never finding a group and could never find a decent place to solo. How are you killing them etc.

Took my necro there just now out of boredom and he's right, stupidass fast and safe xp. The room is HUGE and they have basically no hp, so I guess druids kite? I just root-tash-dotx6 then forget that one and move onto the next in a big loop. I've never had the whole room dead, but now I'm going to count and see if I can match Illa :v: No clue how this room could sustain two entire groups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Is there any compelling reason to take a melee dps merc over a ranged dps merc, or vice versa? I have been looking for parses but the only one I could find is from 3 years ago (but the melee substantially outperforms the ranged).

Unless EQ has changed a lot since I played it last, it seems like the ranged/melee distinction is meaningless as far as mechanics, so I'm just looking for whatever can put out the most dps.