Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty positive it's basically just the iPod Touch: Facetime Edition.

I know of plenty of people who basically gave Grandma a Touch just to Facetime with. Apple was probably selling way more of those garbage last-gen Touches than they wanted to and just phased them out. The market segment they're targeting here is the customers who walk into the store and ask for the cheapest thing that can Facetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Why didn't they give the newest iTouch the iPhone camera in the first place? The 4s and the 5 are basically the same camera so it has been out for a while...

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Prorat posted:

Why didn't they give the newest iTouch the iPhone camera in the first place? The 4s and the 5 are basically the same camera so it has been out for a while...
Huh? The 5th Gen iPod Touch (32 and 64 gig models) camera is the same as the iPhone 5’s aside from being 5mp. It's an amazing camera on such a slim device.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

vvvv Yeah, your flip-phone may have a camera, but it doesn't have a motion-stabilized 1080p video camera / 5mp photo camera with the same sensor ]as an iPhone 5.

Yes all my friends examine my Facebook updates in 1080p on their full colour gamut monitors.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Aside from the relatively low resolution (which isn't much of an issue for most people anyway), the camera in the 5th gen touch is a pretty drat good shooter. It doesn't have the enhanced low light capability of the iPhone 5, but other than that, it's great for what it is. I've taken some drat fine shots with mine.

Really, the best part of the camera in the 5th gen iPod touch (and iPhone 5) is the sapphire crystal lens. The previous plastic lenses got scratched up even if you just breathed on them.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 8, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WWDC thread is up and will be opened in the morning, if you want to bookmark it now.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I haven't seen this recently in the thread, but I haven't gone back to the beginning so I apologize if this has been covered. I have a 160GB Classic, and since the most recent iTunes update, it's been re-syncing the entire library at random. Not just the newly added songs (as it usually does), but recopying the entire 1900-song library which takes forever.

I have the "convert higher bit rate songs to 256 kbps" option on, but I turned that on months ago, let it do all its conversions and it's been until last week when I have to go through the massive resync every fifth time or so I plug the drat thing in.

I'd rather not have to switch to manual selection of songs to sync - it had been doing fine for 3.5 years of service without that option. So tell me, how do I get things back to normal?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thinking about getting a ipod after using my iphone 3GS as a music/podcast player for two years now since my old 80 GB Zune died. Debating on the Classic or the newest Nano, as getting a Touch when already owning a iphone feels weird. I like the storage the classic has, but I don't have a large mp3 library and I am betting watching videos on the classic feels awkward. Nano looks neat, but the low amount of space really hurts it, as 16 just feels so small when compared to the old 80 GB Zune or 160 Classic.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
When I start having weird music-library-related issues on my iPhone (and my Touch before that) I delete all the music off the device, then go in with iFunBox or something similar and delete the library database, then reboot so it creates a new one and starts over from scratch. Not sure if the same thing works on a Classic though.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

So I was out the other day and I had my iPod in my shirt pocket and it fell out and the screen shattered a bit when it fell. The device still works, mind you, just the screens all hosed up at the moment. Is there anywhere I can send it to get it fixed, or should I buy a whole new iPod when I get the chance?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I've got a serious problem with my iPod Touch 4th gen. I understand that there's a certain point when the software just gets to advanced for the hardware, but I don't think that's what's causing my problem.

Basically, most of my apps are crashing all the loving time. The ones that do it most are Chrome, the app store, any thread in the awful app with pictures, and other apps that load up tons of things on screen. It's been happening periodically over the past couple of months, but it's really bad recently. I can't load up anything in a web browser unless it's mostly text. I've tried deleting a couple apps, reformatting the ipod, and syncing to itunes, but nothing really works for too long.

Can this be remedied or is my ipod just getting old?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is the iPod 5th Gen a good upgrade over the 3rd Gen in terms of performance/sound quality/build quality etc?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is the iPod 5th Gen a good upgrade over the 3rd Gen in terms of performance/sound quality/build quality etc?

Do you mean the Touch? I doubt sound quality will be that different, but in terms of performance and build, hell yes. The real issue is that Apple is probably going to announce new iPods next month, so I would hold off if you can.

If you mean the Classic, there's still going to be a huge jump in terms of storage, format support, and the display.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Oops, yes I meant the iPod touch. I'll hold off on the purchase for a while.

Are there any other decent portable media players out there?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

There aren't any other PMPs out there that really compete with the iPod touch, strangely enough. You'd think there'd be some sort of Android equivalent, but there isn't.

I bought the 5th gen touch when it came out last year, and it's by far the best iPod touch ever. It's basically an iPad 2 or iPad mini, except it fits in your pocket. It uses the same display as the iPhone 5, which looks really very good.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

hypersleep posted:

There aren't any other PMPs out there that really compete with the iPod touch, strangely enough. You'd think there'd be some sort of Android equivalent, but there isn't.

there are lots of android equivalents but if that's what I was looking for I'd probably just pick up a cheap android phone and use it without service

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
There just isn't any contest against the iPod touch, really. The Nano and Shuffle are different - SanDisk has some decent players. You can get an 8GB Clip+ for $60 and have four times the storage of a $49 Shuffle.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Nihiliste posted:

There just isn't any contest against the iPod touch, really. The Nano and Shuffle are different - SanDisk has some decent players. You can get an 8GB Clip+ for $60 and have four times the storage of a $49 Shuffle.

I actually have a 4GB Sansa Clip Zip that I stuck a 32GB micro SD card in and installed Rockbox on, and it's by far the best no-frills portable audio player. I got it because I wanted something tiny to use while working out, and the Clip is a much better option than the Shuffle.

As for iPod touch competitors, sure, you could get a no-contract 16GB Nexus 4, but it's $349. Maybe a used phone would be cheaper, but it seems like the touch is the best option unless you're really determined to go Android instead of iOS.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

hypersleep posted:

I actually have a 4GB Sansa Clip Zip that I stuck a 32GB micro SD card in and installed Rockbox on, and it's by far the best no-frills portable audio player. I got it because I wanted something tiny to use while working out, and the Clip is a much better option than the Shuffle.

As for iPod touch competitors, sure, you could get a no-contract 16GB Nexus 4, but it's $349. Maybe a used phone would be cheaper, but it seems like the touch is the best option unless you're really determined to go Android instead of iOS.

I agree that the Clip is a good option for exercise, especially since it has FM radio, but there are advantages to the Shuffle. The Shuffle is mostly metal, which makes it extremely durable. It does lack a screen, but that just makes it more durable, in most cases - I would only really want easier track/playlist selection if I started exercising more than an hour/hour thirty at a time.

What drives me nuts about the Shuffle is storage. Apple has been really chintzy. I mean, 2GB? Really? 4GB wouldn't kill them. I wouldn't be surprised if the Shuffle gets bumped up to 4GB next month, actually.

For the record, I use (or used, my headphones seem to have broken) a 1GB Shuffle I inherited from an ex-girlfriend. I've heard some songs so often that they have a Pavlovian association with running or weightlifting.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

hypersleep posted:

Android phones with bad IMEIs are dirt cheap on ebay.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Sandisk, Cowon, and Creative make some if you're absolutely just looking for a media player. They don't have the camera/apps and depending on the model the storage of the ipod, which is unfortunate since while the touch is great overall, it's music playing is a bit lackluster.

Edit: I guess the creative zen touch does have a 2mp probably terrible camera and uses some form of android now. The one of theirs I used to have had great sound.

Ninja Toast! fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 29, 2013

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Only my friends can call me Pigfucker.
Knowing the diversity of goons and their careers, I throw myself to the chances and fates to ask this: Do any of you know of an app for detailing fire modelling, full room involvement, flashover, mass flux equations, anything? I'm majoring in arson, fire and explosion investigation and my wife just gave me an iPod mini for our anniversary. I'm trying to find apps that would be useful to me in my future career. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The iPod Mini doesn't run any iOS apps.

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Only my friends can call me Pigfucker.
Dammit, I meant iPad mini. Now I look like an iDiot.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Hmm, that's an oddly specific request - you're probably better off searching Google and/or the App Store.

You're not alone in making that mixup, incidentally. My girlfriend kept calling my iPad an iPod this weekend - the irony is that she has both an iPod touch and an iPod classic, and she's usually far better at this sort of thing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren:

Apple's annual iPhone event is starting shortly. Please report to the dedicated event thread or YOSPOS to discuss the news.

:siren:

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

So is my black iPod Touch 5G a collector's item now?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
I wouldn't count on it - I'm betting that Apple will announce new iPods during the October iPad event instead.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm interested in getting some older, used iPod touches for my 2 year old twins for Christmas. Just something that they can play some kids games on and such. I know that older devices tend to get 'gimped' out of not being able to upgrade to new iOS releases or other major impediments. What's the most reasonable generation that iPod touch that would be reasonable to buy based on being able to play the majority of games/apps (likely won't be anything very intensive, they're 2) and be supported? Third generation?

I anticipate they will use these for a year or two, figure it's cheaper and better than a leappad, and so are the apps.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

TraderStav posted:

I'm interested in getting some older, used iPod touches for my 2 year old twins for Christmas. Just something that they can play some kids games on and such. I know that older devices tend to get 'gimped' out of not being able to upgrade to new iOS releases or other major impediments. What's the most reasonable generation that iPod touch that would be reasonable to buy based on being able to play the majority of games/apps (likely won't be anything very intensive, they're 2) and be supported? Third generation?

I anticipate they will use these for a year or two, figure it's cheaper and better than a leappad, and so are the apps.

I wouldn't go older than fourth-gen. It doesn't support iOS 7, but it can handle iOS 5 and 6 games just fine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Nihiliste posted:

I wouldn't go older than fourth-gen. It doesn't support iOS 7, but it can handle iOS 5 and 6 games just fine.

Thanks! I'll keep my eyes peeled for deals on CL after the new ones drop. Appreciate the guidance.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Thanks! I'll keep my eyes peeled for deals on CL after the new ones drop. Appreciate the guidance.

No problem. Thanks to my job, I need to be in-the-know about Apple gear.

You might want to consider getting cases for those iPods, by the way. I realize they're meant to be "cheap" for you, but toddlers can wreak havoc on technology. Heck, I'll bet you can find discounted Defender cases from OtterBox.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Nihiliste posted:

No problem. Thanks to my job, I need to be in-the-know about Apple gear.

You might want to consider getting cases for those iPods, by the way. I realize they're meant to be "cheap" for you, but toddlers can wreak havoc on technology. Heck, I'll bet you can find discounted Defender cases from OtterBox.

Oh, we fully intend to lock those bitches down. My kids are brutal on everything.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Nihiliste posted:

I wouldn't count on it - I'm betting that Apple will announce new iPods during the October iPad event instead.

Any sources or anybody else think this? I just lost/had stolen my iPod Touch 5G, but thinking I'd rather wait for the 6G version if it's coming soon.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

edit: moved to iTunes thread in SH/SC

nwin fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 15, 2013

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Any sources or anybody else think this? I just lost/had stolen my iPod Touch 5G, but thinking I'd rather wait for the 6G version if it's coming soon.

Few people REALLY care about iPods these days, so mostly a question of deduction - if Apple didn't refresh any iPods at the iPhone event, the next opportunity is the iPad event. It also makes sense from a presentation point of view - Apple loves its trifectas, and iPods could be combined with new iPads and Mavericks/new Macs for a complete October show.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
Can you guys help me with this issue? I've had this problem for at least the last four months, maybe more. I've replaced the iPod entirely because I thought maybe it was just old and had been dropped too many times, but that didn't help. I've got the newest versions of both the iPod software and iTunes and I'm out of ideas. Here's my problem:

I have a brand new 160gb iPod Classic. I also have ~300 unplayed podcast episodes that I would like to listen to in chronological order, oldest first. I made a Smart Playlist with the following critera:

Media Kind: Podcast
Plays: 0
Artist is not "steve boyett"
Live Updating

There is nothing on this iPod except this playlist, the Purchased playlist, and the podcast episodes. I have the menu set up to display the "Playlists" option on the main menu. When I hover over it, the side pane says "2 Playlists". Clicking the button does nothing-- I can't access either of these playlists this way. If I go into "Music" and choose "Playlists" from there, it shows "No Playlists". If I plug the iPod into the USB port in my car, I'm able to find and use the playlist through my dashboard controls, but if I'm using the iPod by itself, I cannot access this playlist at all.

Do you have any solutions for this? It's very obnoxious to constantly have to catch the end of each podcast and click back twice in order to listen to the next newest episode.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I hope this isn't a dead thread... anyway, I've been thinking of getting into the iOS scene but an iPhone 5 is too expensive. Is there a case for the iPod touch that can take a SIM card and provide data functionality over wifi or through the dock Lightning® connector? If that case would also have GPS and a battery it would be perfect.

EDIT: Something not huge would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Mark Larson posted:

I hope this isn't a dead thread... anyway, I've been thinking of getting into the iOS scene but an iPhone 5 is too expensive. Is there a case for the iPod touch that can take a SIM card and provide data functionality over wifi or through the dock Lightning® connector? If that case would also have GPS and a battery it would be perfect.

EDIT: Something not huge would be great.

I don't know hardly anything about them, but I know some cellular providers offer a personal mobile wifi hub you could stuff in your bag and access with your iPod/any other wifi-only devices you have. Of course that means a cellular data plan, but it's a possibility.

• Locked thread