Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So does anyone here do a large amount of VDI-in-a-box?

The place I am at now has a decent amount of customers at 50 the user and below mark. Just at the tipping point of where a NAS/Servers/Switch project is out of reach from a cost perspective in most customers eyes. However my company and many of our clients are looking for some form of a solution for these 50 users and under clients can get affordable VDI. I realize you have to look at each client to see their needs and goals individually; but from a 50,000 ft level to have some sort of game plan. If for nothing more sales being able to say "oh yeah I think we might have something for that".

and I highly doubt any of these customers are going to want an UCS 3945...

Hadlock posted:

How dramatic of a speed decrease will I see if I store my VM on a network drive, which is a rotational HDD, if both machines are Gig-E?

Once the machine boots on the remote machine, it seems that there's no performance hit unless you're doing sustained data-intensive read/write ops.

This is for home use, not production.

Depends, is this like a WD NAS appliance or a shared drive(s) of a home server.

Correct, at idle there is minimal IO to disk most of it is running out of ram, when you start firing up programs, services, and things that do logging you'll start to notice it.

You can run IOmeter against it and it will tell you where your ceiling is in regards to performance.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Also the beauty is it's really easy to try both scenarios out, with minimal effort. I personally found gig-E to be plenty for throughput, and was more interested in eliminating thrashing. Hence my spergy posts earlier about going with iSCSI for general household use.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

The place I am at now has a decent amount of customers at 50 the user and below mark. Just at the tipping point of where a NAS/Servers/Switch project is out of reach from a cost perspective in most customers eyes. However my company and many of our clients are looking for some form of a solution for these 50 users and under clients can get affordable VDI. I realize you have to look at each client to see their needs and goals individually; but from a 50,000 ft level to have some sort of game plan. If for nothing more sales being able to say "oh yeah I think we might have something for that".

and I highly doubt any of these customers are going to want an UCS 3945...

As a Dell shop, I'd look at the PowerEdge VRTX that should be available next month. Single chassis, four blade slots, 12/25 disks, no exotic power requirements, tower/rack form.

VDI reference arch:
http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/555/business~solutions~engineering-docs~en/documents~dvs-windows-server-2012.pdf

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Nukelear v.2 posted:

As a Dell shop, I'd look at the PowerEdge VRTX that should be available next month. Single chassis, four blade slots, 12/25 disks, no exotic power requirements, tower/rack form.

VDI reference arch:
http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/555/business~solutions~engineering-docs~en/documents~dvs-windows-server-2012.pdf

Was just going to post this. Would be great for smaller sites/clients.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I was told at a presentation for the VRTX that they were even going to offer redundant RAID cards as an option later down the line. So, eventually you should be able to get somewhat decent resiliency even though it's not a true SAN.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Yeah I was looking in for something like that I just couldn't remember the name of it.

Many thanks, Might go a different way about it but that is definitely something I am going to evaluate

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The chassis also has PCI-e card slots where you can put a GPU.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl
So I'm taking the VCP at VMworld next month. I've been looking for a study app for iOS, does anyone have any recommendations? There's reviews on a few in the app store but those can be pretty meaningless sometimes.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
Well. Deep Security PSOD'd two of our ESXi hosts taking down our entire production cluster.

loving Trend Micro.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Well. Deep Security PSOD'd two of our ESXi hosts taking down our entire production cluster.

loving Trend Micro.

Are such things necessary for ESXi hosts? I haven't put any planning in place for anything beyond the guest OS.

Wizzle
Jun 7, 2004

Most
Parochial
Poster

I hate VDIiaB. I do a lot of Citrix consulting and the very mention of it makes my skin crawl. There are a small number of cases where it's a good fit, but most of the time it's very limiting and there are too many one-off cases where it doesn't fit a particular user. If you work closely with the Citrix field sales team, ask your SE what he/she thinks of it.

I recommend to most people that they go with XenApp and hosted-shared desktops. A good profile management suite goes a long way toward maintaining user personalization. Then use XenDesktop for the few user who need additional customizability or dedicated resources. It also saves you a ton of money on data center hardware since user densities are much higher and since you're getting perpetual RDS/TS licenses instead of annual VDA licenses. If you have access to good Citrix engineer, leverage Provisioning Services to keep your XenApp images maintained and pristine. It's a great solution and is very low maintenance once it's setup.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

demonachizer posted:

Are such things necessary for ESXi hosts? I haven't put any planning in place for anything beyond the guest OS.

It might have been inside a guest, I've had a guest OS quirk PSOD the host it was running on before.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

demonachizer posted:

We're doing the whole hyper-visor based AV thing since it's hot and cool and new and poo poo. I regret it and I'm wishing I could get management to regret it. Deep Security, which is supposedly the best of the hypervisor based AV products, has so many bugs. This isn't the first time it's caused a production outage. See some of my other posts in this thread.

:argh:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Goon Matchmaker posted:

loving Trend Micro.

Kaspersky <3 I have found a new love

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Goon Matchmaker posted:

loving Trend Micro.

Any more details on this? Currently have it running for our entire View deployment. :ohdear:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Goon Matchmaker posted:

loving Trend Micro.

I've had more problems with AV poo poo in production environments than problems from viruses. To the point where my last production environment that had AV was eight years ago.

It was a Symantec installation and we had a virus come in using a SEP exploit as the vector. Any server that had SEP installed rolled over and died while the AV-free ones hummed right along.

To recover from the outbreak we had to uninstall SEP and never bothered installing another AV suite. I haven't had an outbreak since in that environment or any other.

But count the times Trend or Symantec has toasted a SAN or a VM in our lower environments? loving meh.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Kaspersky <3 I have found a new love

Hahahhahahahahahah. We use Kaspersky and seriously, gently caress it.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Moey posted:

Any more details on this? Currently have it running for our entire View deployment. :ohdear:

Not really much in the way of details... I just deployed two new dsvas to the prod cluster and turned them on. BOOM. We're on 8.0 sp2 with all the latest patches. We'll be trying again tomorrow hopefully without the same result. I'll post an update tomorrow.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Alright to bite my own bullet I want to re-write the OP, taking suggestions on recomposing the OP and rewrite.

Keep in Mind I am mostly versed in VMware, if people want more Citrix and hyper-v let me know, I plan to close this thread by Friday, with a complete rewrite.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 20, 2013

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Don't let Veeam back itself up.

That is all.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Does $260 for VMWare Workstation seem a bit much? Can I get it cheaper?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

VMWare sells it direct on their website for $249.00

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
That's where I'm looking. I guess they bump it up because I'm in Australia and gently caress you we're VMWare.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Swink posted:

That's where I'm looking. I guess they bump it up because I'm in Australia and gently caress you we're VMWare.

Is that $260 downunda dollars? You're saving like $8 over what the exchange rate should put it at, no?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

It goes on sale all the time so if you can wait for a bit you'll be able to get a deal.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Swink posted:

Does $260 for VMWare Workstation seem a bit much? Can I get it cheaper?

Like them on Facebook, they give it 25-50% off all the time, and if you have an edu account it is even less.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Like them on Facebook, they give it 25-50% off all the time, and if you have an edu account it is even less.
God, VMware education pricing is almost as ridiculous as Microsoft education pricing.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

God, VMware education pricing is almost as ridiculous as Microsoft education pricing.

http://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/academicstore.html

Yeah it's a joke, I think the Facebook coupons work in combo too.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Erwin posted:

Is that $260 downunda dollars? You're saving like $8 over what the exchange rate should put it at, no?

You are spot on. I dont know why I thought I was being ripped so much.

This is what I was fishing for\The question I was trying to ask.

Swink fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 23, 2013

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
e: claimed

KS fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 24, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
HOLY poo poo YOU ARE IN VIRGINIA BEACH TOO? YES I WANT TO GO

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

This is either the worst bug or the best license enforcement ever: Due to our CFO being away unexpectedly we didn't get our vcenter license renewal approved in time, so right now we're sitting around without support for a few days until our reseller fixes it.

vcenter appliance, out of nowhere, has developed a thing where it lets anyone log in as an AD user with no password. This includes the web client from a linux machine with no knowledge of AD. It also ignores permissions. domain\administrator with no password gets you root. domain\newinternwithnoroles with no password? root.

I can't find anything on the googles about this and it doesn't appear in the known issues for vcenter updates, though some other AD stuff is.

I just snapshotted vcenter appliance so I can try upgrading it to the latest version as a hail-mary, but this poo poo always happens at the worst possible time.

Also, vcenter appliance is terrible and I regret ever deploying it, but vmware doesn't seem to have an upgrade path to the installable windows vcenter that actually lets me use an external database that isn't oracle.

Edit: hail-mary upgrade to 5.1.0 update 1a fixed it.

xarph fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 23, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

xarph posted:

vcenter appliance, out of nowhere, has developed a thing where it lets anyone log in as an AD user with no password. This includes the web client from a linux machine with no knowledge of AD. It also ignores permissions. domain\administrator with no password gets you root. domain\newinternwithnoroles with no password? root.

Me, reading this:

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I have a VM in Workstation 9 that I want to convert and upload to a hyperV server. Is there an easy process for this?

I'm about to upload to esx > convert with MSVM Converter > upload to hyperv

Edit : ended up using StarWind V2V Image Converter. Quicker.

Swink fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 25, 2013

microserf
Jul 11, 2006

Wizzle posted:

I hate VDIiaB.

That sums it up nicely.

I'm a Citrix consultant as well, and about the only customers that want VDIiaB are the type of customers that are unwilling to pay for a properly designed environment -- ie, the type of customers you generally want to avoid. It has it's niches, I'm sure, but it's like SBS where you have to acknowledge the limitations you're placing on yourself if you implement it.

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.
If I'm building a setup that requires many small instances of OSes running simultaneously, am I better off buying several 4-core systems with a bit of RAM in each, or would I be better suited by getting a large, monolithic system with dual 8-core processors and 128 GB of RAM? It's for a lab setup, so nothing mission critical, but it does change how I go about planning things. I'm mainly looking at the Dell T620 or T420, depending.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

How many is many? For a lab it doesn't really matter since you'll have very low transaction volume, just get flash storage so setup times aren't too painful.

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.
100-150 currently, with expansion happening in the next 6 months. It's hard for us to gauge usage right now, as new teams keep coming to us to add additional configurations and capacity to our current lab.

CanOfMDAmp fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 26, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Eh, depending on the host OS that might be tight on a single host. Get ram/compute metrics and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Is an SSD essential for a server where I plan on running a bunch of VMs? I currently have two SATA drives in raid 1 and for like $200 I could throw in two 120gb SSDs in raid 1. My server only has room for 4 drives because its only 1u and I wanted to have two 2TB drives and two SSDs.

Also the server is a cheap Dell CS24-TY and it doesn't support software raid with ESXi. Really lame :( I suppose I can just buy a raid card.