Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
In addition to everything else people have mentioned, P3P gets rid of fatigue which is a terrible mechanic for the first 3 months of FES. If they found a way to put the cutscenes and in-engine stuff back in it would be no contest because mechanically it's a much more approachable game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nuebot posted:

Alright, thanks a ton guys I'm gonna grab myself a copy of FES if I can find one. If I like it I might play through portable if I feel like replaying it at a later date!

If you have a PS3, you can get it digitally for $10! :v:

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Firebert posted:

In addition to everything else people have mentioned, P3P gets rid of fatigue which is a terrible mechanic for the first 3 months of FES. If they found a way to put the cutscenes and in-engine stuff back in it would be no contest because mechanically it's a much more approachable game.

What was wrong with the fatigue mechanic? It seemed like it was just there to pace out the dungeon crawling more. But I stopped playing at the part where my character was studying for exams for weeks straight and haven't started again so maybe I missed something or just got lucky that my guys never got fatigued so much I couldn't get to the first couple bosses.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ChaosArgate posted:

If you have a PS3, you can get it digitally for $10! :v:

Oh poo poo can I? I might have to look at PSN if local shops don't have one.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

What was wrong with the fatigue mechanic? It seemed like it was just there to pace out the dungeon crawling more. But I stopped playing at the part where my character was studying for exams for weeks straight and haven't started again so maybe I missed something or just got lucky that my guys never got fatigued so much I couldn't get to the first couple bosses.

Fatigue goes away basically immediately. After your characters gain a few levels you're likely to never see that mechanic again unless you have to do an absolute shitload of dungeon crawling in a single day.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Firebert posted:

If only they could do that AND remove Aigis forever.

It would be perfect. :iamafag:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

King of Solomon posted:

Fatigue goes away basically immediately. After your characters gain a few levels you're likely to never see that mechanic again unless you have to do an absolute shitload of dungeon crawling in a single day.

I did that. I didn't mind it that much since I intentionally stayed in the dungeon till I got sick anyways for free courage-ups from the doctor. Got everyone else sick too just to artificially rotate my party members, leading to random imbalanced parties. Lead to an odd transition phase in P3P when I was left free to choose whoever I wanted without any consequences.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Alright, thanks a ton guys I'm gonna grab myself a copy of FES if I can find one. If I like it I might play through portable if I feel like replaying it at a later date!

The nice thing about Portable is that the female protagonist makes a replay legitimately worth doing. Playing FES first works out nicely that way.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

tooooooo bad posted:

The nice thing about Portable is that the female protagonist makes a replay legitimately worth doing. Playing FES first works out nicely that way.

Yeah that's basically why I did it this way, that and I guess the changes people talk about would be more noticable if I went through FES first, then I'd be able to appreciate them more since as people mentioned the atmosphere in FES might be better? So it seems like it might be better for a first full playthrough.

Either way grabbed a copy, didn't get very far yet but I am loving the music so far. Thanks again for weighing in everyone.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Alteisen posted:

Remove Aigis forever.

It would be perfect. :iamafag:

You and me needs to talk outside, I think.

Get rid of Ken. Now that's a character that needs to go.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RadicalR posted:

What did Ken really add to the story aside from being the reason Shinji left and rejoined SEES and being the person who indirectly caused his death?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Her S. Link was kind of creepy but I've never had a problem with Aigis. Thought she was pretty swell in P4Arena even. Ken was the worst though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aigis just always felt weird and out of place to me. Like, I know Persona 3 is what it is, but Aigis felt like this weird hyper-marketable thing jammed into the middle of the game to sell, right down to Maaya Sakamoto voicing her. It just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason, even in the game about dating your schoolmates so you can summon demons.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RadicalR posted:

Small child who acts like an adult or creepy stalker robot who wants you to diddle her robo hole.

This ain't a tough choice, Aigis was pandering otaku bait, Metis was somehow worse to my surprise.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Why not just take them all out? Then everyone can be happy. :)

I don't think I've seen a single person that actually likes Ken. One of the only times I've seen a character so universally hated.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I sure wish we got to see more of Shinjiro. I liked him, he looked like a Persona character.

It's me. I'm the guy who spent a lot of money on gear for him and put him in my party. Thanks Ken.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Aigis might be blatant pandering, but Ken is worthless as a character. Even his Social Link is sluggishly bland in addition to potentially being really loving creepy.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TK-31 posted:

Aigis might be blatant pandering, but Ken is worthless as a character. Even his Social Link is sluggishly bland in addition to potentially being really loving creepy.

Only with the FeMC, he's perfectly fine beyond that, you'll forgive me if I don't care that he caused the death of a throw-away character.

I also liked him as a healer by virtue of him not being Yukari, he also learns Mediarama right away which is nice AND he has no elemental weakness, he's tied with Koro for me most usefulness. Only gripe is that he has element overlap with Akihiko.

quote:

Why not just take them all out? Then everyone can be happy.

I know this is typical :goonsay: but at least the other chars acted relatively normal, Aigis was just creepy nerd bait.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
As much as I hate Aigis, at least she contributed to the plot. Ken was just a worthless character in every conceivable way.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

The problem is the most efficient way to play Persona games is to do as much dungeon crawling as possible in one session to maximize your time improving your stats and doing S-links. I hope they some how change that sh
itty situation in P5...

Policenaut posted:

I sure wish we got to see more of Shinjiro. I liked him, he looked like a Persona character.

It's me. I'm the guy who spent a lot of money on gear for him and put him in my party. Thanks Ken.

I did that, then played portable years later after forgetting the plot and did it again :v:

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 23, 2013

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I liked Ken because he got the healing done while still being less of a boring shitheel than Yukari.

Shinjiro, though? He was the MAN. I want to see a beat-em-up spinoff game where Shinjiro, Reiji, Eikichi and Kanji all go around and wreck face.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Dorroile posted:

I liked Ken because he got the healing done while still being less of a boring shitheel than Yukari.

Shinjiro, though? He was the MAN. I want to see a beat-em-up spinoff game where Shinjiro, Reiji, Eikichi and Kanji all go around and wreck face.

Add in Yukino, or TANKINO as I like to call her as a poo poo wreaker and Maya to go around breaking into buildings and troll everyone and Atlus can take all of my :10bux:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Replace every character with Koromaru, problem solved.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Shinji was way better in P3P on the female route. They actually drew new portraits for him where he smiles!

(Also if you max out his S.Link he goes into a coma instead of dying)

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
My copy of Mayonaka Arena finally arrived from across the ocean. Still can't get over the fact that CharlieYu is voiced by Adachi.

Somehow managed to get a joke ending the first time I sat down playing, so that was loving confusing, especially since the next path I played was actually intense and involved. At first I thought Yukiko just got a short shrift when it came to story paths, but according to the Gamefaq, there's more to see. Kind of enjoying this so far!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Man seeing all of you guys complain about the characters in P3 made me really happy that Atlus got their poo poo together for the P4 cast. Because the P4 cast is loving BALLIN and are just way better than the P3 cast (and social links as well).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really feel like Yukari gets a lot of misdirected hate, especially since I like her S. Link so much and she was probably my favorite character until Shinjiro got his S. Link in P3P.

gently caress YOU KEN

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I really feel like Yukari gets a lot of misdirected hate, especially since I like her S. Link so much and she was probably my favorite character until Shinjiro got his S. Link in P3P.

gently caress YOU KEN

I've noticed that a lot of very teenagery teenage type characters seem to attract hate. Yeah, she's catty and whiny. She's a teenage girl, and a teenager struggling with some serious issues.

I'm not a fan of her and tend to use someone else, but.

Ken can go jump off a bridge because man, his S. Link has the potential to get creepy fast and - yeah.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Mitsuru for example is infamous for the way her AI seems to work.

I used her the entire time in FES and never had a problem with it. :shrug:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ken is necessary because it means my final party can consist of a 10-year old, a dog, and a robot. Aint none of that happening in P4 (Fox should have been a party member :colbert:)

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Yo I'm gonna throw this out here right now but all the characters in Persona 3 are really detestable individuals to me. That's right, even the dog. They're all really obnoxious, and seem to get progressively more obnoxious the younger and/or more robotic they are.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Amppelix posted:

Ken is necessary because it means my final party can consist of a 10-year old, a dog, and a robot. Aint none of that happening in P4 (Fox should have been a party member :colbert:)

Nanako should've been a party member! Dojima while we're at it!

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I think Dojima was supposed to, at a time. And to be the killer, but that was ultimately deemed too dark for the storyline.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Amppelix posted:

Fox should have been playable in P4 Arena. :colbert: And Daidara. Come on, why else would they have scars on their faces if not for that grueling battle experience!?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Iceclaw posted:

And to be the killer, but that was ultimately deemed too dark for the storyline.

I'm glad they didn't do that, Dojima was great. But it would have at least removed the 'the killer was the only main character without a social link' problem P4 had until Golden.

Does the dialogue at the choice scene not absolutely make it sound like he did it before they dismiss it out of hand? Or am I remembering that wrong?

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 23, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Fox is so much better than the dog it's not even funny.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

King of Solomon posted:

It's not a "few" levels. More like 15-20. I am in June on FES playthrough and I am still hating fatigue after playing P3P. It also makes maxing S.Links a lot harder on first playthrough.

That said, so far I do like the presentation a lot more, 3D models are pretty good compared to P3P and just those small touches that get animated (for example you see more people in restaurants or during student council meetings) make it worth it. One note though, I am playing on my PC with 4x the internal resolution, presentation on a TV from PS2 is not nearly as nice and sharp.

Edit: Not having a lot of issues with AI as long as tactics are properly used. I was actually surprised that it wasn't that bad. Also forces you to be a bit more sharp in your persona utilization and fusion. You could get a bit lazy in P3P.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The Fox is so much better than the dog it's not even funny.

Most untrue statement ever. When does the fox ever have the most adorable victory pose ever?

Also, I never really found fatigue to be a big problem in FES. Sure, I didn't like it when it happened, but sickness was much worse. Of course, I always just ran up Tartarus to get to the next checkpoint, so I never really grinded up a lot. P4's a lot more punishing about this, because apparently enemies on the field are larger and faster and ignore your premptive strike when you're lower leveled? That game was just so unfun.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure I could go back to it now, but Marin Karin was the only aspect of the AI that I truly hated.

Momomo posted:

P4's a lot more punishing about this, because apparently enemies on the field are larger and faster and ignore your premptive strike when you're lower leveled? That game was just so unfun.
I don't really remember this being the case (regarding preemptive strikes). Not starting a battle with the advantage was quite rare, even more so in P4G.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Chickenfrogman posted:

As much as I hate Aigis, at least she contributed to the plot. Ken was just a worthless character in every conceivable way.

Take both out and keep Shinjiro , problem solved. Both Ken and Aegis are just annoying and Ken is almost as creepy in FMC route as Aegis is in MC's. Everyone else is at least serviceable and not that bad. Yukari is all right, as mentioned, just put her in context (16 - 17, a lot of poo poo going down, her family life sucks).

That said, I absolutely agree that P4 cast is absolutely head and shoulders above P3, especially in P4G and its extra content. Even if you don't like say Teddie or Marie they are much, much better then say Ken or Aegis.