Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I loved the hover van segment. It was probably a lot of fun to film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Pretty much the entire hover van parts had me giggling like a mad man, pretty great.

Hovercrafts are a blast.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
If you build something that has 3 engines and requires you to shout to talk to the person sitting next to you, that's a successful build as far as I'm concerned.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
It was hilarious, even the SIARPC segement was good.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

beedeebee posted:

It was hilarious, even the SIARPC segement was good.

Hah, yeah, Hugh Jackman talking about walking around a japanese spa or whatever with his junk hanging out was pretty funny.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

My favourite bits of this show are always them building something. Sure, it's scripted to hell and most of the jokes you can see coming a mile away, but I just like them so much.

Although I'll admit I was kind of disappointed the first switch to hover mode to find out it took 90 minutes to sort the skirt out. I was hoping for some sort of "press button, hover mode engaged" sort of thing. Been watching too much sci-fi stuff recently I guess. :v:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I was worried that they weren't going to give as much time to the HoverVan. I was thinking they were going to try to slip in another little segment as well. Glad to be wrong, that episode was fantastic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

blk posted:

I wonder how wearing the Union Jack in Britain is taken compared to wearing a giant Stars and Stripes jacket/shirt/whatever in the States.

It's probably still something that lower class PATRIOT type people wear.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

neckbeard posted:

I was worried that they weren't going to give as much time to the HoverVan. I was thinking they were going to try to slip in another little segment as well. Glad to be wrong, that episode was fantastic.

Hopefully they'll do something like they did with the amphibious vehicles and do a second segment with a more ridiculous challenge and fix some of the faults with the HoverVan. Actually some of my favorite segments is when they buy a car to turn it into something else. Like the van turned into a convertible, amphibious cars, the minivan race car, the BMW diesel race car, etc.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

blk posted:

I wonder how wearing the Union Jack in Britain is taken compared to wearing a giant Stars and Stripes jacket/shirt/whatever in the States.

We don't really do that creepy American-style flag worship. It's just fashion. Slightly naff trashy fashion, but still just fashion.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 22, 2013

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When they knocked the guy into the water I had tears pouring down my face. The Hovervan segment was absolutely hilarious.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hope we'll see a whole segment about that thing this season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe5ldu2jB2E

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I was dying when they got stuck on the tree and it came through the window. Because I'm pretty sure that wasn't faked and it was hilarious as hell a whole drat branch came through the window.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

OptimusMatrix posted:

I was dying when they got stuck on the tree and it came through the window. Because I'm pretty sure that wasn't faked and it was hilarious as hell a whole drat branch came through the window.

That happened to me about twenty times when I decided to go canoeing for the first time in the Everglades. I looked exactly like them, bouncing back and forth into trees and spinning in circles.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Yeah, trying to dock at the restaurant and knocking the man over were too funny. What a great segment.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

OptimusMatrix posted:

Yeah to hell with range I'd rather have it than the black series.

Really? You'd like roughly 15 minutes of full out driving?

The electric SLS is a stupid toy for stupidly rich people. Of course Clarkson likes it.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's a stupid toy for stupid rich people right now, but anyone who is even remotely interested in automobiles knows halo cars can breed innovation for future lineups.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Backov posted:

Really? You'd like roughly 15 minutes of full out driving?

The electric SLS is a stupid toy for stupidly rich people. Of course Clarkson likes it.

And how often would you get the chance to do 15 minutes of full out driving? At regular highway speeds the thing has a range of 200ish miles. It would be dumb on a track, but great on the street/highway.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Exactly. A lot of the technology that's in your standard econobox started first on a Mercedes or another high end automaker.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Top Gear did say the S class always gets the fancy things first. So the SLS is probably just for Mercedes to test out electric vehicles before they start bringing out other models.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I find it a bit poetic that some of those who will buy the electric SLS will undoubtedly do so with oil money.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Backov posted:

The electric SLS is a stupid toy for stupidly rich people.

This is different from the Black SLS in what way?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's an awesome toy for slightly less rich people.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Look this is stupid no one wants to wait 20 hours to refill their electric car, the best thing to do is use standardized batteries across all car brands and when at a petrol station, you pay x monies and they whip out your batteries and slap in a full charged set in seconds, then your batteries goes on to be charged for the next customer.

This is the only way to make electric cars work.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Then you have to either take the batteries out one by one and put them back in, or create a standardized sled type thing that you slide out.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sweevo posted:

We don't really do that creepy American-style flag worship. It's just fashion. Slightly naff trashy fashion, but still just fashion.

Yeah, they seem to tend more to a weird obsession with a bunch of inbred Germans.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The SLS has a 60 kWh battery. That's an hour or two at a high-current fast charger, or overnight (~9hrs) at home with a dedicated charger. All Clarkson's doing is basing numbers off of plugging into a normal household socket, for the sake of hyperbole. It doesn't really need a 20hr charge.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Not to mention that's for a 200 mile charge. On most days I don't drive much more than 16 and whenever someone says "but I live 100 miles from work!" what I hear is "I'm an idiot who bought a house in the wrong area and/or hate myself."

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Living in Los Angeles you certainly see enough charge stations in parking ramps and so on. So if you were a in town (town being the city of Los Angeles) driver you can certainly charge and often get preferential parking treatment (For now) across the city.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

OptimusMatrix posted:

Exactly. A lot of the technology that's in your standard econobox started first on a Mercedes or another high end automaker.
That's why the BMW i stuff is interesting to me. i3 is coming out starting at $41k iirc, which is expected for an electric car I guess, but I think it's a big deal when you consider that a good chunk of the body is carbon fiber (in the form of CFRP). It'll be pretty nice if/when (hopefully) they start using it on other models, less weight is good for any car.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Not sure if I've posted this - this is at one of the propmakers we use.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

blk posted:

]

No one gives a poo poo because the only people who obsess about the flag in the UK are National Front facists. Most people couldn't even tell you if it was upside down or not. Oh, and it's the Union flag if it's not on the back of a ship :eng101:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That was a pretty fun episode, the best one so far. Love the SLS segment, Hugh Jackman was great and the HoverVan was great. Loved the pissed off look on the restaurateurs as they got sprayed.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

drgitlin posted:

Oh, and it's the Union flag if it's not on the back of a ship :eng101:

I learnt that from Doctor Who :britain:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I don't know why, but I laughed so much at the Hovervan ruining people's lunch. Just the massive failure of the thing made it funny.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In particular, I liked where this was going before they cut away:

But yeah, it was a fun episode - I usually enjoy their "build" challenges when they're taking it seriously. So this or the stuff like the diesel BMW race car are among my favorites, while the random "lol won't it be funny..." things are less so. SIARPC was cool too, as was the review. Hopefully they can keep up the momentum with the rest of the series.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Next week looks pretty solid Jeremy and James test different crossover SUVs and their caravan towing capabilities • Richard is in Italy testing two Lamborghinis • James is on the track testing a modern recreation of the classic Porsche 911

Can't imagine James testing something besides the Singer 911
SIARPC is Steven Tyler, hoping they talk about his Venom GT a bit

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

It's not standardised across different manufacturers, but Tesla have developed a system to switch out battery packs in 90 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5V0vL3nnHY

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I just realized one of the hovercraft's fan blades is missing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Was that before or after it was fished out of the boat ramp? And that was the first iteration, so not all that surprising given its performance.