Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

That's coming out of your paycheck.

C... posted:

More tours of airship hangars? ...Please?

Ah they finally tore down Hangar One in Mountain View, it's nothing but a 200 foot tall skeleton looming over the computer tech juggernauts below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
What are some good horror game LPs? I've already seen SS2, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Alone in the Dark, and whatever has already been LP'd by Niggaruth. I'm not really familiar with the horror genre so I don't really know what to search for.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

The Biggest Jerk posted:

What are some good horror game LPs? I've already seen SS2, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Alone in the Dark, and whatever has already been LP'd by Niggaruth. I'm not really familiar with the horror genre so I don't really know what to search for.

All the intriguing and polished Unity horror games being one-offed by Habermann :getin:

But skimming the archives Metro 2033 by pannycakes is sort of survival-horror so you could take a look at that one.

There's Parasite Eves 1(by Mr. Swoon) and 2(by Crowetron) if you haven't seen that one yet either.

The Penumbra Collection by Khad is also here, entirely horror based, and the first game was done by Crackle.

The Siren Series by Egomaniac which I've heard were very high quality and might deserve a look. He also did The Suffering, another horror based game.

I consider the STALKER series a survival-horror type so if you like a blend of first-person shooter RPG with it, here ya go, by perochialjoe!

Naturally, Psychedelic Eyeball's System Shock 2 LP thread is still up so you should take a look at that if the above applies!

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

"D" and "D2". D2 in particular is completely insane ( I think Kenji Eno suffered a nervous breakdown or something during developement). If you don't like the slow pace of D (or subtitles), D2 begins at "Welcome to Canadddd". You don't really need to know the first game to... appreciate the second.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

That's coming out of your paycheck.
If you enjoyed System Shock 2 and are a fan of Sci-Fi horror, I think you will get a kick out of the Dead Space LP by The Man With A Hat. No voice at all, only subtitles. The atmosphere of the game is preserved and it is still pretty funny at times.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Research Indicates posted:

If you enjoyed System Shock 2 and are a fan of Sci-Fi horror, I think you will get a kick out of the Dead Space LP by The Man With A Hat. No voice at all, only subtitles. The atmosphere of the game is preserved and it is still pretty funny at times.

And for added comedy, there's the schadenfreude run there too! With live commentary! Live commentary done well, and it's extremely good schadenfreude. Not atmospheric or horror at all, but just pure entertaining pain and suffering. It's lovely.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Appreciate all the recommendations guys, guess I'll try to slowly build up my tolerance for jump scares with these LPs and hope one day I'll build up the courage to play a horror game :saddowns:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Appreciate all the recommendations guys, guess I'll try to slowly build up my tolerance for jump scares with these LPs and hope one day I'll build up the courage to play a horror game :saddowns:
There's also the current ongoing indie horror game thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554304 . Lot's of good stuff going on in there.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

Niggurath posted:

There's also the current ongoing indie horror game thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554304 . Lot's of good stuff going on in there.

Oh yea I've been checking that too, though it's more of a Let's Mock mostly terrible Indie horrors, which is awesome in a different way.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
supergreatfriend's Deadly Premonition playthrough is pretty great too.

SWMadness fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 18, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

SWMadness posted:

While I haven't seen supergreatfriend's playthrough, I wholeheartedly recommend anything that exposes you to Deadly Premonition. It's a horror game, but it's also wonderfully goofy.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Lizard Wizard posted:

While I haven't seen supergreatfriend's playthrough, I wholeheartedly recommend anything that exposes you to Deadly Premonition. It's a horror game, but it's also wonderfully goofy.

I recommend supergreatfriend's playthrough to EVERYONE, because he does such an awesome job showing off drat near everything in the entire game. Combine that with a wonderfully dry wit and neat little asides relating to all the references and tangents that York goes off on, and it's an immensely entertaining LP.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

SWMadness posted:

I recommend supergreatfriend's playthrough to EVERYONE, because he does such an awesome job showing off drat near everything in the entire game. Combine that with a wonderfully dry wit and neat little asides relating to all the references and tangents that York goes off on, and it's an immensely entertaining LP.

The only reason I'm not watching it is because I have a copy sitting around and need to play it for myself. :shobon:

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

SWMadness posted:

That LP is not reason I got an account on SA. That should tell you something about the quality of that LP.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Thesaya posted:

That LP is not reason I got an account on SA. That should tell you something about the quality of that LP.

Do you mean "the"?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Lizard Wizard posted:

Do you mean "the"?
probably "no.1"?

Also SGFs stuff in general can be fully recommended, although these days he doesn't run a dedicated SA thread for it (Rest in peace MODE), so you need to browse/follow his youtube account.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Also SGFs stuff in general can be fully recommended, although these days he doesn't run a dedicated SA thread for it (Rest in peace MODE), so you need to browse/follow his youtube account.

Strange Loves: Vampire Boyfriends is his best work yet, personally. That or Planet Stronghold.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

probably "no.1"?

Is it a fact that MODE is dead then? Was very interested in seeing where that was going.

I'll second following SGF's streams too, he uploads them all on youtube so you can't miss anything good.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

SWMadness posted:

Thank you for this. Just started to watch and its great. Never would have been exposed to this really interesting game if it wasn't for this thread.

e: the music for the game is so perfectly used. How did I never hear about this game!

Sneaky Fast fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 19, 2013

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
If you like Deadly Premonition check out the TV show it's largely a knockoff of, Twin Peaks, available entirely on Netflix.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Tha Duke posted:

e: the music for the game is so perfectly used. How did I never hear about this game!
It's probably because the game is really horrible and no one really liked it? While the story is quirky, the rest of the game is horrid and only gained recognition later when people got past the horrible to find a stupid story underneath.

SGF is great though and he can make even the worst game seem like a worthwhile experience.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Niggurath posted:

It's probably because the game is really horrible and no one really liked it? While the story is quirky, the rest of the game is horrid and only gained recognition later when people got past the horrible to find a stupid story underneath.

SGF is great though and he can make even the worst game seem like a worthwhile experience.

Do you have trouble living without a heart?

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Niggurath posted:

Speak for yourself dude. I, and many others, definitely genuinely enjoyed the game. Like, sure, the mechanics are a bit clunky, but I wouldn't have gone through the game if I wasn't enjoying playing it. Actually I think I got it to play along with the Giant Bomb Endurance Runs but then enjoyed it enough to just go ahead and beat it instead.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Deadly Premonition is almost unplayable because of the mechanics and it's really just a better idea to watch Twin Peaks. It's probably also a smaller time investment than watching the LP or playing the game to completion.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

scary ghost dog posted:

Deadly Premonition is almost unplayable because of the mechanics

It's really no worse to play than an old Resident Evil game though? Like, I played it to completion and the only issue I had was that York had to stop to shoot. Also the cars were kind of floaty, but it wasn't like driving was hard.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

scary ghost dog posted:

Deadly Premonition is almost unplayable because of the mechanics and it's really just a better idea to watch Twin Peaks. It's probably also a smaller time investment than watching the LP or playing the game to completion.

Please tell me what you define as "unplayable" because I can guarantee you now it doesn't actually mean "unplayable."

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I should point out that if you like Deadly Premonition and would like to have the excellent opportunity to play it yourself, it's coming to Greenlight. It needs your help!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah DP controls fine enough, the biggest problem is that the combat is tedious, but the game hands out infinite ammo/use weapons like candy so it really is not that big a deal. It definitely does not drag down the things that genuinely makes it a great game, the characters, the plot, and the quirky comedy interspersed with some real f'ed up poo poo that's actually effective because you grow to care for these bunch of likable goofballs. DP has charm that most games nowadays lack and its one of my favorite games because of that as well as why more people to need play it.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 20, 2013

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah DP controls fine enough, the biggest problem is that the combat is tedious, but the game hands out infinite ammo/use weapons like candy so it really is not that big a deal. It definitely does not drag down the things that genuinely makes it a great game, the characters, the plot, and the quirky comedy interspersed with some real f'ed up poo poo that's actually effective because you grow to care for these bunch of likable goofballs. DP has charm that most games nowadays lack and its one of my favorite games because of that as well as why more people to need play it.

The problem for me was honestly the awful, awful map system.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Niggurath posted:

:catstare:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

You guys are pretty defensive about a game with bland environments, lackluster graphics, clunky and repetitive combat, cars that handle like turds, and any number of poor game play decisions. Like I said SGF did a great job with the LP but having watched him do everything in the game I can honestly say that I would never have played it to that level of completion and it's cool if there are people out there that enjoy it, but charm was not enough to carry that game.

But instead of arguing, you guys should check out ritcheyz LP of Dead Rising 2 going on: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3545453 ; it's got some great commentary chemistry going on and ritcheyz is doing a good job of keeping things fun but also informative.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Relax, that's just niggurath not liking a thing others like. It happens. :)

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
Come on people you know better. Have this argument in some other thread.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I was watching a metal gear solid 4 LP a little more than a month ago, but I can't seem to find it now. With both search and archives. Anybody have a link?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I was watching a metal gear solid 4 LP a little more than a month ago, but I can't seem to find it now. With both search and archives. Anybody have a link?

Well who was it by? I know that TippingForties and Chip have done MGS4 and those are still available.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lunethex posted:

Well who was it by? I know that TippingForties and Chip have done MGS4 and those are still available.

You don't want to watch the T40s LP of MGS4 though. I love the guys, but they were unbearable during it. They were not having any fun at all.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
^^ wtf how is that even possible.

I found it through Chip's site. Thanks everybody!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

^^ wtf how is that even possible.

I found it through Chip's site. Thanks everybody!

Well, when they weren't whining about literally everything in the story, they were making the same dumb cutscenes and nano machines jokes everyone used to make when MGS4 came out.

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!
I'll recommend a T40's LP I really enjoyed: Shenmue. I mean, you'll only like it if you like the laid-back T40's style though, but I think it's probably their best LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The OP has had to resort to double posting updates now, so even though there's only three of them so far I'm going to have to recommend Yoshi's Island by Double Date. It's a four-person commentary and they have fun group dynamics. Additionally two of the commentators have very little experience with the game which is rare in these days so their reactions to the game can be pretty fun. It's really a pretty good laid back LP and it makes me feel bad that there's like seven posts in the thread so far.

• Locked thread