Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chair Huxtable posted:

I can't remember the last time I was shocked or appalled by a Nazi themed anything. I get angrier at tuk tuk drivers making that obscene ping pong show noise at me when I walk past.
My favorite random thing are the blue waste buckets in wet markets with yellow stars of David on them. I didn't see them for a while after moving here, but once I noticed them I see them all the time. It's like Thai people are unintentionally obsessed with anti-semitism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I have yet to meet a Thai person here in New York who doesn't enjoy saying "Kill the Jews 5555555!" especially if Jews are around. In English. They get away with it too, probably because they look like they're having a lot of fun and they don't do it around old Jews

E: I think Asia saw the "+6 to Genocide" on the Caucasian character sheet and went "Hey that's a cool perk to have!"

raton fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 21, 2013

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Note to self: don't try to go anywhere in Phnom Penh when the election campaigning is in full swing. :suicide:

Just in case anyone is planning on passing through, most bars etc. will be closed next weekend due to the election. Time for me to stock up on booze and barricade myself in my apartment.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Is this going to be the same for Siem Reap?? Surely not, I'll be off the bollock pills by then and need to get drunk.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
It's a countrywide thing, yeah. Although to be honest it shouldn't be too difficult to find somewhere still serving, at least a few of the more low-key places will probably still be open.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
I guess when Westerners have no problem with making light of Mao then Asians figure Hitler must be fair game, too.

There are lots of hostels in Indonesia that openly advertise that Israelis aren't allowed.

And regarding double pricing in Vietnam (or anywhere in Southeast Asia), it's generally still so much cheaper that the only people who get bothered are those who say it's out of "principle." A lot of people get screwed in Vietnam because they don't make any attempt to haggle despite it being a haggler culture. Most cases where there's a significant absolute markup they will give local prices to expats who have legal paperwork (museums, national parks, etc).

Smeef fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 21, 2013

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Smeef posted:

There are lots of hostels in Indonesia that openly advertise that Israelis aren't allowed.
Yeah but isn't that because they cause trouble? I've heard a bunch of bad things about israelis in SEA.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Rapsey posted:

Yeah but isn't that because they cause trouble? I've heard a bunch of bad things about israelis in SEA.

I think it's because lots of them are coming after finishing their military service, so you've got waves of drugged-out youths who've just been trained to use force.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

It's the same in South America too, or it was when I went a few years ago. It was amusing to see no-smoking signs just in Hebrew.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Smeef posted:

I think it's because lots of them are coming after finishing their military service, so you've got waves of drugged-out youths who've just been trained to use force.

This. God I've had some really bad experiences with Israeli backpackers, the bad ones have got all the ego of American frat bros with a violent streak and a persecution complex to boot. Really unpleasant.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Israelis are very handy because when people start bitching about Americans you can say, "What about Israelis, though?" and then slink away from the conversation. The Mainland Chinese and Russians are also useful in this situation ^__^

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug
At least Russians are pretty good at staying in the seediest, nastiest places that no one else would ever want to go.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, actually the backpackers barely cross paths with the Russians and Chinese, they almost exclusively bitch about Israelis. Only locals and expats really cross paths with Chinese and Russians and complain and, man, the Thais are loving up in arms about the Russians right now in Phuket. A lot of that's crocodile tears related to the foreign embassy complaints, but there's a kernel of truth to their complaints.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Yeah, the mainland Chinese get it bad. With good reason, though, they blow the Ugly American stereotype out of the water. A lot of the people spotted leaving the Asiana Airlines crash the other week toting bags that they stopped to grab in the middle of evacuation were recognized as Chinese travelers and it sparked a lot of anger, especially at home.

I think I even read an article a month or two back that said the ministry of Foreign Affairs in China conducted a study to figure out basically why Chinese travellers are so reviled and how much they gently caress up while traveling, it made for a great read.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

At least mainland Chinese don't put their carry ons in the overhead bins in the first few rows. Flew on China Eastern today with a connection in Shanghai and I was kind of impressed with all of the available bin space because I knew if it was a flight in the states, the first 5 or so rows plus first class bins would be filled with bags from people in row 50. Then some poor guy in row 3 would have to go back like 10 rows to find some empty space for his bag. This always leads to a clusterfuck when exiting but people still do it.

But god, queuing is a warzone. Was waiting in the line for the check in counter to open in Shanghai and two ladies tried to cut in front of me when the staff showed up. I was cranky and tired so I told them to get in the line. They just cut in behind me instead. Not my problem anymore. :colbert:

I think my best mainland Chinese story is when I did a tour of the Citadel in Hue. Here's a scenario, guess what the guy did? :haw:

While on a tour, you're walking around and notice that there are yummy-looking fruit on trees. What do you do?
A. Ignore them and keep walking.
B. Say something about how much you like the fruit, but otherwise do nothing and possibly buy some from a vendor later.
C. Throw your nearly full water bottle at a cluster of fruit and miss, losing your bottle in the process as it went over a wall into an area that tourists don't have access to.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Russians are the most absurd at queuing, bar none. They will separate a group of 10 into 5 lines and cut back and forth constantly until the last second. I think the only altercation I've ever been involved in in Thailand was when I and an even-larger Aussie guy had to physically back down a Russian guy and his family when we were all already in the fast track queue trying to get through in a hurry because the airline queue was hosed and we'd been given fast track passes to try to make the gate. The guy just kept ramming his kid in a stroller into our legs and trying to plea and shout. Of course that's just the most extreme example I've seen, but every single time I'm at the airport or a border crossing (Good God, Cambodian border crossing Russians are horrendous) I run into this poo poo with Russians and it drives me nuts. Otherwise, outside of queues, they seem fairly innocuous.

The Chinese also have massive queuing issues, but they seem to recognize when they're in a foreign country and everyone's pissed and they settle down a bit. Once on the plane, though, Jesus Christ. I've drat near come out of my seat to plant an Auntie and buckle her in because standing up during takeoff and landing, which they are unstoppable at, is a no-loving-poo poo serious safety hazard and they give no fucks. If you get a chance, shoot the poo poo with the cabin crews about this topic, they will fill your ear with stories. Cathay's the best for stories, but if you live in Bangkok, the world's most touristed city where mainland Chinese are the #1 arrival group, you don't need a lot of third-hand anecdotal evidence.

EDIT: Random Thai trivia. It's against the rules for Thai Cabin Crew to call in sick for flights to/from India. Use your imagination as to why.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 21, 2013

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug
There are signs in Ninoy Aquino International that say something to the effect of "Don't make a fool out of yourself and look like a country bumpkin by being rude in the queue." Much more concise, of course.

Mainland Chinese travelers have never bothered me. Yeah, so they travel in packs of 400 and sound like one of those "rabbles" from South Park, but it's not like they're out picking fights or causing any trouble, unless you need to buy a Louis Vuitton bag right when 5 coaches pull up to a mall and unleash the hordes. From what I've seen a lot of them even bring their own freakin' instant noodles and barely eat out while traveling!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The airplane safety is my main issue, and it's very real, though a friend of mine who was caught in a mudslide with a gas tanker along with a bus full who refused to not smoke after being warned in their language has stories to tell. Otherwise they're mostly just a curiosity here. I've yet to see street-making GBS threads and all that. I see much worse public behavior from Brits and what have you.

I think the fact that China's Foreign Minister publicly admonished his country's own tourists and then the country passed laws allowing tour operators to legally repatriate them speaks for itself, heh. I've also been to tourist parts of Mexico, our closest neighbor, and I can tell you that American's don't come off so well in places like Cancun. The border, mainly the locals come off poorly, but Cancun was full of Pattaya types who don't know about Pattaya.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Smeef posted:

From what I've seen a lot of them even bring their own freakin' instant noodles and barely eat out while traveling!
Read an article a week or two ago about Chinese travel groups that go to Europe. They eat only in Chinese restaurants and most don't even try any European food.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
I used to live near a Chinese restaurant in Amsterdam that keeps it head above water by feeding six busses of Chinese tourists every week. They probably have some deal cause it's an otherwise totally uninteresting part of the city.

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007
Im just going to leave this here.

REDACTED

On the plus side for me I have a bunch of local friends whenever I get back to SEA so I really don't have to worry too much about getting ripped off.

Edit: Redacted photo because I am an idiot who posts his friends personal information.

uinfuirudo fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 22, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
"the more bigger JEW LOL"

What I wouldn't give to peek inside her mind.

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007
Keeping Southeast Asia free of the Zionist conspiracy is a big job.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Requires khakis, anyway.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug
Women can't post on Facebook in Asia without some creepy white guy clicking like or forcing in a comment. I'm looking at you, Mr. Orj.

Smeef fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 22, 2013

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Smeef posted:

Women can't post on Facebook in Asia without some creepy white guy clicking like or forcing in a comment. I'm looking at you, Mr. Orjasaeter.
I had a guy from Mandarin 101 who added me on Facebook, and he spends all his time leaving comments on photos of random Chinese girls. "You look like a princess," etc. I think that's the whole reason he wanted to learn Chinese.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Rapsey posted:

Read an article a week or two ago about Chinese travel groups that go to Europe. They eat only in Chinese restaurants and most don't even try any European food.

It's not just the tour groups, my co workers were like that too when we went to Europe.

Instant noodles were a life saver when dinner starts at 8 :eng99:

But food can be really subjective. I do a lot of hosting for couch surfers/goons/parents/etc. In my experience, the older folks or people who don't travel as much tend to stick with bland western/McDonald's. Even your dirty hippie back packer swears by banana pancakes or some sort of smoothie/hamburger/pizza.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

ReindeerF posted:

EDIT: Random Thai trivia. It's against the rules for Thai Cabin Crew to call in sick for flights to/from India. Use your imagination as to why.

I don't know why please elucidate.

Sheep-Goats posted:

I have yet to meet a Thai person here in New York who doesn't enjoy saying "Kill the Jews 5555555!" especially if Jews are around. In English. They get away with it too, probably because they look like they're having a lot of fun and they don't do it around old Jews

E: I think Asia saw the "+6 to Genocide" on the Caucasian character sheet and went "Hey that's a cool perk to have!"
I've never heard of this before. Crazy. Whenever I tell a Chinese person I'm Jewish they're like "oh my god you're so smart, you're so good at business" it's like only the positive stereotypes made it here. I guess I should stay away from Thailand.

Also despite being Jewish I find Israelis the most obnoxious people ever. As long as we're airing our prejudices. They're just insufferable people.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
As a non-Jewish American who lived in Israel for a year, I can say that in my experience Israelis are very caring people but the local culture does not include some normal conventions which may come off as rude to Americans. Please, thank you, and excuse me are not typically used in Israel, for example.

I did not meet many Israeli backpackers, however. I think part of the problem is that, as someone mentioned, they are typically fresh out of the military. They most likely are what we would consider college age but have not started on an advanced education. This leads to a weird sort of hybrid maturity level somewhere between adulthood and highschool.

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007

Smeef posted:

Women can't post on Facebook in Asia without some creepy white guy clicking like or forcing in a comment. I'm looking at you, Mr. Name.

Hey could you delete that name or change it, because I am a big dumb idiot who posts friends' photos. Full disclosure they were actually friends in college, I met the girl through him.

I will post an edited photo when I have free time.

Orillion
Jun 14, 2011

Tytan posted:

Note to self: don't try to go anywhere in Phnom Penh when the election campaigning is in full swing. :suicide:

Just in case anyone is planning on passing through, most bars etc. will be closed next weekend due to the election. Time for me to stock up on booze and barricade myself in my apartment.

Thank you for this information. I'm currently in Cambodia as well and will take that into account. :)

Got a completely unrelated question: has anyone of you gentlegoons had any recent experience of crossing the border at Ban Pakard/Psar Pruhm towards Thailand? Is it possible to go from Battambang to Ko Samet in the same day?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Senso:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KEAUgcY9yA#at=256

wham bam thank you vietnam

(idiots riding minibikes around a HCMC roundabout for like four hours plus)

Play fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 22, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bloodnose posted:

I've never heard of this before. Crazy. Whenever I tell a Chinese person I'm Jewish they're like "oh my god you're so smart, you're so good at business" it's like only the positive stereotypes made it here. I guess I should stay away from Thailand.

Also despite being Jewish I find Israelis the most obnoxious people ever. As long as we're airing our prejudices. They're just insufferable people.

They don't actually want to kill any Jews they just think genocide is funny.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

They don't actually want to kill any Jews they just think genocide is funny.

Yeah you can't ascribe too much hate to any of it its mostly just ignorance and enthusiasm making a really really bad combination..

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Play posted:

Senso:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KEAUgcY9yA#at=256

wham bam thank you vietnam

(idiots riding minibikes around a HCMC roundabout for like four hours plus)

I posted that on FB before you. :v: Made me laugh, even though they're aussies!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Hey divers whassap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ut7wK9l9mk&t=20s

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Smeef posted:

Women can't post on Facebook in Asia without some creepy white guy clicking like or forcing in a comment. I'm looking at you, Mr. Orj.
This is true, heh. Every time I get some shared post from a friend that's originally by a Thai female it's got at least one leering comment by some skeevy dude. I know it's all creepy, but the worst is the 60+ guy who always has a profile pic of him with Nan from Nong Khai that says, "u look hot babe" or something.

Bloodnose posted:

Thai people have a historical stereotype beef with Indians and then some issues revolving around how people act in service staff situations that don't help, heh. I've heard plenty of "white people stink, but black people stink worse" and "white people are like cockroaches haha!" and all the other stereotypes, but the Indians are the only non-neighbors that I've heard like historical sayings for that all Thai people know. According to the cabin crew members I knew, you weren't allowed to pull a no show or play schedule games with flights to/from India and this was something they'd been told was a rule as there'd been some non-zero number of issues with it. Last minute no-shows are kind of an art form here, though, so it's hardly confined by industry. Other rules I can recall included no eating white rice, only brown rice, and very little.

Bloodnose posted:

You're safe, they just think Hitler cute same same cartoon na ka and very handsome dress ja!!! >-<

EDIT: I've heard this about North/East Asia and looked it up. Thailand's part of that weird Greater Mekong Region orbit where people to the north write weird 7-11 books about Jews being good with money and people to the South write weird 7-11 books about Jews stealing money. Here we just put Swastikas on everything, pose with Hitler and no one knows what a Jew is. My closest Bangkok friend, who I flew over with when I moved here (without knowing him at the time), is Jewish. We lived door to door for the first couple of years and basically learned how to live here together, so we'd go everywhere all the time to eat. He pretty quickly figured out to just tell people he was Muslim, because "I don't eat pork" without just saying you're Muslim is like a five minute conversation since A) if you don't eat something everyone has to ask why and B) no one knows what "khon yiew" is here. AH YIEW LUH? YIEW? BPEN ARAI? "Okay fine I'm Muslim" AHHH OK OK OK MAI GIN MOO BPEN MUSLIM KRAB!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 23, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Flood Palestine with Thai people, fix Middle East.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Senso posted:

I posted that on FB before you. :v: Made me laugh, even though they're aussies!

Yeah iIlike the part where he does the "customary lap of high fives" and all the vietnamese are visibly disturbed by his high five attempts. Haha I've seen that before except I taught all the old men on my corner how to do the swipe and pound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Looks like there was a really nasty bus crash on the Bangkok to Roi Et route today. I keep telling myself I'll stop taking night buses.