Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Tornhelm posted:

You know nothing, Daric.

16 years and counting for Melanie Rawn to write The Captal's Tower.

Edit: I still hold out hope. :smith:

It's never going to happen - she's writing other things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Dravs posted:

This is why I generally try and stick with Sanderson these days. He seems to be some kind of robotic book generation matrix. I have even heard that when he needs to take a break from writing, he relaxes by writing something else!

Butcher does this, too. That's why, during Alera, his Dresden books kept a tighter schedule. Now he's got Cinder Spires started, so maybe it'll work the same way.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

VanSandman posted:

Felix Castor, dammit! Although it lacks a proper resolution.
Not that you shouldn't also read Rivers of London. And the Rook.

The Rook should be required reading for this thread.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

ConfusedUs posted:

And there will be a quiz at the end of the thread.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ConfusedUs posted:

Just make sure it's The Rook by Daniel O'Malley and not The Rook by Steven James. You're in for a lot of "How the gently caress is this Urban Fantasy" if you make that mistake.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dravs posted:

That's it, just finished Cold Days.. *boosh*

The ending was pretty epic. Real good to see another side of Mab. She's not always a terrifying banshee.

All caught up now. Am I part of the gang?

Have you read the spinoff short stories yet?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Dravs posted:

That's it, just finished Cold Days.. *boosh*

The ending was pretty epic. Real good to see another side of Mab. She's not always a terrifying banshee.

All caught up now. Am I part of the gang?

Yeah I loved the ending of cold days.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ConfusedUs posted:

No, it shouldn't. I've tried three times, and it's just too dumb to get past the stupid initial premise.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

torgeaux posted:

No, it shouldn't. I've tried three times, and it's just too dumb to get past the stupid initial premise.

You're going to need to explain how The Rook is any more ridiculous than anything else recommended in this thread.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ornamented Death posted:

You're going to need to explain how The Rook is any more ridiculous than anything else recommended in this thread.

Easy. Magic? Suspend disbelief, same for mythical creatures. Amnesia, zero knowledge, but go to work, at an Intel type agency, with zero prep? Pretenfding to be someone known to lots of people? The whole premise is unworkable, and the author does a poor job of trying.

mister
Dec 18, 2011
I don't think its that bad. Her past self did a whole bunch of prep work and left her tons of notes. Plus, she wasn't social at all before. She's not pretending to be someone who knows everyone and has a bunch of inside jokes with them; she's pretending to be the quiet one who sits in her office and makes sure the numbers line up all day. Also her coworkers do realize that something happened to her. Most of them just come to the wrong conclusion and two of them are actually helping to cover for her.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

torgeaux posted:

This is the most incorrect statement I've read in a while.

I keep selling people on this book because I keep telling them that it is the single best use of an amnesia plot.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

cbservo posted:

This is the most incorrect statement I've read in a while.

I keep selling people on this book because I keep telling them that it is the single best use of an amnesia plot.

I'm in the minority here,I know. Three tries because of the love here. Still a terrible, unbelievable job. Just not seeing how people get past it.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Anias posted:

It's never going to happen - she's writing other things

My hope at this stage is that she's gonna do what she did for The Diviner and is just working on it (even in part) while not talking about it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

From what I understand the manuscript for The Captol's Tower was destroyed or something at some point by her, so I wouldn't keep waiting if I were you.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

torgeaux posted:

Easy. Magic? Suspend disbelief, same for mythical creatures. Amnesia, zero knowledge, but go to work, at an Intel type agency, with zero prep? Pretenfding to be someone known to lots of people? The whole premise is unworkable, and the author does a poor job of trying.

Zero prep? Did you miss the part where she had an entire luggage set + safe house full of info because she knew the amnesia was coming in the first place?

And as for the second part, pretty much everyone thought something was up the second she came back.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

torgeaux posted:

I'm in the minority here,I know. Three tries because of the love here. Still a terrible, unbelievable job. Just not seeing how people get past it.

I feel your pain. I've tried the Malazan books half a dozen times because of all the love they get in EVERY fantasy thread, but I just can't like them.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I've never heard of anyone being just okay with the Malazan books. Its always a strong hate or love.

I am firmly in the hate column.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I like some of the malazan stuff, but don't love it - so put me in the middle? I think it's an interesting structure for epic fantasy, but it's not always the best delivery and I certainly skimmed the poo poo out of some of it when I first started them.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

404GoonNotFound posted:

Zero prep? Did you miss the part where she had an entire luggage set + safe house full of info because she knew the amnesia was coming in the first place?

And as for the second part, pretty much everyone thought something was up the second she came back.

No, I didn't miss the part where she spent one day reading files before going to work.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Whoever recommended the Metro 2033 books in this thread must have been desperate for a book. I'm about halfway through it and my brain hurts so bad, but now I need to know what happens to this poor little guy living in the sewers under Moscow after a total nuclear war + 40 years :(. The Russian > English translation leaves a little bit to be desired.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Kwyndig posted:

From what I understand the manuscript for The Captol's Tower was destroyed or something at some point by her, so I wouldn't keep waiting if I were you.

Believe me, I know all about the whole saga of her mental issues, losing the plans she had for the third book, getting contracted to write other books instead, etc.

I still hold out hope though, because at this stage I've been waiting for the book half my life. It also helps that I'm well past the GRRM stage, now the wait has aged like the 30 year old bottle of port that I bought when I got book 2 and have been aging ever since while waiting for its release. And as a bonus, if the book never comes out, I'll have a bloody amazing drink waiting for me for when I finally crack it open.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 19, 2013

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006
Odeipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.

Wade Wilson posted:

Just make sure it's The Rook by Daniel O'Malley and not The Rook by Steven James. You're in for a lot of "How the gently caress is this Urban Fantasy" if you make that mistake.

I put Nocturnal on reserve at the library, Scott Sigler does some awesome horror and when I went to pick it up I was given some romance novel. I bet there's a lot of crossover titles.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Virigoth posted:

Whoever recommended the Metro 2033 books in this thread must have been desperate for a book. I'm about halfway through it and my brain hurts so bad, but now I need to know what happens to this poor little guy living in the sewers under Moscow after a total nuclear war + 40 years :(. The Russian > English translation leaves a little bit to be desired.

Metro 2033 is a fantastic book and while the translation leaves alot to be desired, a large portion of the book is missed by not knowing its political commentary on the current political and social climate in Russia which ties heavily into Artyoms seemingly complete lack of personal agency. Also it has a awesome unreliable narrator and amazingly creepy atmosphere even if the pacing is all over the place.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Virigoth posted:

Metro 2033 gave me a serious bummer upon having finished reading it. So far I haven't found an English version of the sequel, but I need to know what happened afterwards. Those Dark Ones :smith:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

torgeaux posted:

Agreed. I've made it through both The Rook and Iron Druid, and neither were worth pushing myself through the bad writing for.

(The Dresden Files has piles of awful writing too, but its payoffs are worth the pain)

If we're gonna chuck urban fantasy recommendations around, the only two I'm sold on so far are Rivers of London and Child of Fire. drat shame the latter is never gonna get a fourth book :(

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

coffeetable posted:

Agreed. I've made it through both The Rook and Iron Druid, and neither were worth pushing myself through the bad writing for.

(The Dresden Files has piles of awful writing too, but its payoffs are worth the pain)

If we're gonna chuck urban fantasy recommendations around, the only two I'm sold on so far are Rivers of London and Child of Fire. drat shame the latter is never gonna get a fourth book :(

Try kate griffin's books. The midnight mayor is a good, very different series.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

coffeetable posted:

Yeah but the fact that Aaronovitch is already writing a 5th makes up for a lot.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

coffeetable posted:

I recently binge-read Seanan McGuire's October Daye series. Once she hits her stride around book three and realizes that Toby is a lovely detective, the books turn pretty great. I love her characters and her worldbuilding. The first two books contain a lot of faffing about and the author being a little too pleased with her setting, but they're still entertaining and worth going through to get to the better stuff.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I just finished the series as well, and love the world building. My main complaint is that all the favor's and prices Toby is supposed to pay for help never amount to much, and a tendency to reuse over reuse plot devices. The world is interesting enough that I'm willing to over look it.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Cheers for the recommendations :)

Speaking of Aaronovitch, Broken Homes is out on Friday. Do we have enough readers to justify a thread for it?

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

torgeaux posted:

The whole intelligence agency/amnesia plot seems really clunky and like a really hamfisted attempt to rip off the Bourne Identity at first. What I've come to realize is that The Rook has a healthy dose of Cabin in the Woods style genre homage / parody vis a vis Bourne style spy thrillers. I think The Rook sticks a little too close to spy thriller stuff and becomes indistinguishable from what it's riffing on sometimes, but the premise becomes a lot less jarring when you realize that it's supposed to be pretty absurd because the story is partly a parody of the Bourne Identity and it's ilk.

Grouchy Fish
Aug 24, 2006

Skellen posted:

You should all read this, it's fantastic.

http://parahumans.wordpress.com/2011/06/11/1-1/

I want to thank you for this recommendation. Really great read

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Verloc posted:

The whole intelligence agency/amnesia plot seems really clunky and like a really hamfisted attempt to rip off the Bourne Identity at first. What I've come to realize is that The Rook has a healthy dose of Cabin in the Woods style genre homage / parody vis a vis Bourne style spy thrillers. I think The Rook sticks a little too close to spy thriller stuff and becomes indistinguishable from what it's riffing on sometimes, but the premise becomes a lot less jarring when you realize that it's supposed to be pretty absurd because the story is partly a parody of the Bourne Identity and it's ilk.

Yeah I think taking The Rook to task for having a derivative premise is kinda missing the point, by about 1/3rd in it becomes pretty clearly farcical in tone, there's constant dumb and hilarious poo poo happening every chapter from that point on. The 'bad impostor' angle is directly addressed by one of the characters in a pretty funny manner anyway.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
If you're still caring about the plausibility by the time the duck shows up, you're reading the wrong drat book.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Iacen posted:

Metro 2033 gave me a serious bummer upon having finished reading it. So far I haven't found an English version of the sequel, but I need to know what happened afterwards. Those Dark Ones :smith:

Just finished the first one. Now I feel compelled to read the 2nd one due to that massive cliffhanger.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

404GoonNotFound posted:

If you're still caring about the plausibility by the time the duck shows up, you're reading the wrong drat book.

If the book intends to mine absurdity, that could work, but it's not apparent that it is doing so in the first 100 pages. I could have used the intervention of a tongue in cheek sensibility...or a duck.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My copy of Broken Homes has shipped! And it will get here from Amazon.co.uk sometime next week =(

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

torgeaux posted:

If the book intends to mine absurdity, that could work, but it's not apparent that it is doing so in the first 100 pages. I could have used the intervention of a tongue in cheek sensibility...or a duck.
What I was trying and failing to say above is: The book's premise isn't just absurd because of things like omniscient waterfowl, but because it's also a subtle parody of spy thrillers in general and the Bourne Identity in particular. The first hundred pages or so get little too close to the spy thrillers it's trying to riff on, so the story kind of faceplants right out of the gate and it can be a big turnoff to a lot of readers. However, much like the protagonist, the story picks itself up from the hamfisted Bourne cliche opening, and soldiers on to become something both awesome and pretty hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.
Hey so I just got back from SDCC.

Here's a link to the Urban Fantasy panel Butcher was on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtNLbHh1Wd8

Also, I got to meet Jim (he grabbed one of those little Dresden Files Character booklets I give out at cons) and he was cosplaying Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China

• Locked thread