Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

alcharagia posted:

The door is a Fal'cie and it's in a bad mood so she apologizes to it.

I hated that scene because it made it seem like Lightning knew something but then it never comes up again. Just more terrible direction I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Sex_Ferguson posted:

EDIT: This isn't directly towards you, but there are so many bad characters in FFXIII and Lightning is not among them. She's got a pretty clearly defined goal, personality, and reaction towards characters. Her and Sazh are probably the most well built characters in the game in terms of motivation, character development, and overall not being complete loving idiots. Lightning's not the best main character, but she's hardly one of the worst or even remotely in that echelon of quality.

Lightning was the only character I liked at the beginning. Sazh is much better once you realize he isn't just a giant stereotype, and Fang & Vanille are good in relation to eachother, which means not til later in the game. Snow & Hope I could have done without. Snow for being a hard-headed moron all the time (and getting away with it), and Hope for spending the whole good development part of the game being wholly obsessed with killing a guy. The scene with Hope looming over Snow with the knife just evokes all the stupid of his character in that game. He's one of the cooler parts of XIII-2, though.

Snow reminds me of an irresponsible Wakka. Wakka was chill, but he knew how to handle himself. Snow just kind of runs around getting hit and not listening to anyone while being all chill about it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, and DQ9 had some great buffs too. The only issue was multi-target attack increases, but eventually you got Gritty Ditty and that took care of anything attack-wise.

Only thing I'd have ever asked for was a Kablunt or something (MT attack decrease) and maybe for Sages to have access to either Blunt or Acceleratle.

Kyros you're making me want to replay DQ8. Maybe I should drop FF13 for it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Snow was great because he was a Shonen Hero that neither any of the cast or the story wanted to put up with.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Kyros you're making me want to replay DQ8. Maybe I should drop FF13 for it.

Drop FF13 for DQ7 instead :unsmigghh:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

Snow was great because he was a Shonen Hero that neither any of the cast or the story wanted to put up with.

You can't blame him. They all got powerups shortly into the series which made them stronger than drat near everyone else without having to work for it and they all scoffed at the idea of strategy or planning.

It almost is a shounen series but Snow wasn't the main character. Only main characters are allowed to get away with everything with little to no repercussions.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly can't think of the scene you mean, sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEcpEuHIUfY&t=5s

I don't get this one, either. It's still the funniest scene to me for how little sense it makes.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

EDIT: This isn't directly towards you, but there are so many bad characters in FFXIII and Lightning is not among them. She's got a pretty clearly defined goal, personality, and reaction towards characters. Her and Sazh are probably the most well built characters in the game in terms of motivation, character development, and overall not being complete loving idiots. Lightning's not the best main character, but she's hardly one of the worst or even remotely in that echelon of quality.

Lightning would make a great Chewbacca. I would totally buy a "Balthier and Lightning wreck poo poo in airships" game. In fact, that would kick some serious rear end, a FF / R-type / Sylpheed shmup mashup.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Spaceman Future! posted:

Lightning would make a great Chewbacca. I would totally buy a "Balthier and Lightning wreck poo poo in airships" game. In fact, that would kick some serious rear end, a FF / R-type / Sylpheed shmup mashup.

I've always wanted an Ace Combat like game with all the FF airships through the series. It would be fun to do a bombing run with the Highwind or dogfight with the Strahl.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
For as weird and experimental as Lightning Returns is, it looks to be the best of the trilogy by sheer audacity of the developers to just do whatever the gently caress they want. I feel like I'm more excited for LR than any other game in the trilogy.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Failboattootoot posted:

This was done in Ni No Kuni. It was pretty neat! The rest of the game not so much though.

I dunno I hear a lot of good things about Ni No Kuni, just that the game seems to drag in the middle.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Momomo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEcpEuHIUfY&t=5s

I don't get this one, either. It's still the funniest scene to me for how little sense it makes.

The only thing I can think of is that Lightning apologizes to her sister for acting like an rear end in a top hat. I have no idea why that would open the door, though. I'm pretty sure she doesn't tell Sazh to cover his ears because she knows something, but because she doesn't want him to hear her apologize to anyone :)

I had no problems with Vanille by the way, even at the beginning, because I was certain she was only putting up an act. I was correct, but then her personality didn't change all that much anyway :/

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 23, 2013

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I really don't mind cutesy characters. Vanille had her place in the story (a rather big one) and wasn't solely there to fill the Moe requirement.

Speaking of Vanille though and going back to start of FFXIII stuff I didn't understand, Narrator Vanille says something along the lines of "(about Hope) You said it makes you happy when I smile"
...he never said this when I played the game. Then I found out there are optional cutscenes. A relatively minor thing but I liked it.

I think HOpe and Vanille were good...uhm I dunno what the word is, or even if there is one. They were the best characters for interacting with other characters. Hope and Vanille had their little bit together at the start of course and then Vanille goes off to have her pretty neat section with Sazh which had a fabulous climax. (and a loving awful boss. GOddam Eidolons!) ANd then her relationship with Feng was nice. Hope meanwhile started off with Vanille, then had his section with Lightning, and finally had his own subplot finale with Snow. Both of them just...worked with everyone else in the party I thought, and all the characters were stronger for it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You know who's the unsung hero of FFXIII? Space Pope, Barty D. Throughout the entire game he's wearing this ridiculous get up and has the best voice in the whole game (S. Scott Bullock, a ridiculously underrated VA). On top of this he says the most Final Fantasy stuff and shows up like he's Gary Oak at random points just to screw with the party. "Oh hey Snow, it's me your girlfriend, but wait I'm actually Space Pope. SURPRISE!" He also had a pretty cool boss fight with some fun music.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sex_Ferguson posted:

You know who's the unsung hero of FFXIII? Space Pope, Barty D. Throughout the entire game he's wearing this ridiculous get up and has the best voice in the whole game (S. Scott Bullock, a ridiculously underrated VA). On top of this he says the most Final Fantasy stuff and shows up like he's Gary Oak at random points just to screw with the party. "Oh hey Snow, it's me your girlfriend, but wait I'm actually Space Pope. SURPRISE!" He also had a pretty cool boss fight with some fun music.

Man that game made no sense when you really think about it. What happened to that girl with him with the glasses?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man that game made no sense when you really think about it. What happened to that girl with him with the glasses?

Uh, he turned her into DLC for FFXIII-2.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's the most accurate way to put it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
poo poo, all this FF-13 talk is making me want to buy the games and play them again while I wait for Lightning Returns. Someone stop me!
Perhaps I should buy the collection... nah can't justify buying them at full price again.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Renoistic posted:

poo poo, all this FF-13 talk is making me want to buy the games and play them again while I wait for Lightning Returns. Someone stop me!
Perhaps I should buy the collection... nah can't justify buying them at full price again.

You can buy FFXIII for like 10 bucks, it's seriously not expensive. Unless you're from another not-US country? In which case I have no idea about that.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It's not about the price. It's about actually paying for and playing those games again. I can't believe I'm considering it - the FFXIII games are the only FF games I've ever sold.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

He killed her.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sex_Ferguson posted:

He did have a good voice, and good music. His entire intoduction was pretty good.

The problem is that he was literally no threat to the party after this. He outright said so. You...you can't do that! You can't have your big bad villain say "I will not harm you heroes. I will just kinda taunt you, and irritate you."

As befitting one of the worst characters in FF history, that girl was killed by Barty in a thoroughly forgettable way. lovely death for lovely character.

I was startled to get online and hear that Jihl had fans. Jihl didn't even have a personality beyond the most half-assed, cookie cutter Saturday Morning cartoon dialog. She was absolutely, 100% garbage.

There are like, three villains in this game and the only one I even kinda liked was Rosch.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

She had fans before the game came out because people thought she was gonna be a Quistis type character.

Also I don't even remember who Rosch was.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No one remembers who Rosch was, he's in the game for like 20 minutes and has two boss fights that are forgettable as all hell. After the second one he's like "Okay sure, do whatever the gently caress you want, I'll just chill here in my destroyed robot." Like, they obviously wanted him to be more involved, but there are so many unimportant characters in FFXIII because of how the story is that he might as well not even exist.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

No one remembers who Rosch was, he's in the game for like 20 minutes and has two boss fights that are forgettable as all hell. After the second one he's like "Okay sure, do whatever the gently caress you want, I'll just chill here in my destroyed robot." Like, they obviously wanted him to be more involved, but there are so many unimportant characters in FFXIII because of how the story is that he might as well not even exist.

I can't for the life of me remember what happened to him. Does he just sit in his robot for the rest of the game?

EDIT: Looked up the video: Silly Rosch, that won't actually hurt a Behemoth!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 23, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Renoistic posted:

I can't for the life of me remember what happened to him. Does he just sit in his robot for the rest of the game?

Two Behemoth Kings come after him and he blows himself up with a grenade.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Renoistic posted:

They leave him and Snow says "see ya later" only everyone forgot that Cocoon was overrun by monsters. And they left a crippled man all on his own.

Surprise, monsters appear and he blows himself up to take them out.

Rosch received about as much screentime as every non-playable character. He was a officer doing his job to ensure the stability of his nation. He's kinda the...General Leo maybe? I didn't finish VI. I'll just say he's like one of the nobler Judge Magisters in XII. He's working for the wrong side but for the right reasons.

Again, he has pretty much nothing in the way of competition. I just cling to him as the only thing even resembling a decent antagonist in the game.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 23, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

NikkolasKing posted:

Again, he has pretty much nothing in the way of competition. I just cling to him as the only thing even resembling a decent antagonist in the game.

I wanna say Cid's the best minor antagonist, but that's just because he's the only one I even remembered before now. Even then, I don't remember why you fight him. That fight was one of the best ones, though, and there should've been more bosses that were L'Cie. That was a real wasted opportunity.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Cid fought you because you were l'Cie whose goal was to destroy Cocoon and he didn't want that. He was probably the antagonist that made the most sense and also had a fun boss fight... then he went on to host the Indy 500 and he's never been seen again.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I don't like the way any of these characters have been used in the sequels. Apart from Hope, who somehow became the world's greatest scientist despite not appearing to be any more intelligent than an average teenager, each character is barely involved with the two main protagonists. Lightning, who is now Time Janitor, is doing something, somewhere, in a stupid feathery outfit with an exposed rear end, and whole game is based around finding her because Serah is still totally dependent upon her.

In Lightning Returns, we see Hope reusing his character model from XIII, Snow styling his hair like a Kingdom Hearts character, and Serah dressed as a goth. Whatever personalities, motivations and societies were introduced in XIII are just thrown out to have the characters do whatever they need to so they can fill whatever role the story requires. Instead of showing Sazh's life after rescuing his son, Toriyama wanted a bunch of gambling minigames, and just put Sazh there with some handwaved reason.

And yes, I know there's going to be some explanation for all of these sudden shifts in character between these games in some Japan-only Ultimatum, but it's clear that each of these characters are just pigeon-holed into completely different circumstances. The brilliant scientist with a passion for time travel could have been a brand new character, rather than a whiny kid shoehorned into the role. Noel and Serah could have done the gambling themselves, rather than it being Sazh's sole reason to be in the game.

Edit: Azure, you're always going on about how all of these plot points are hinted at in the previous game. Please prove this by telling us how Sazh, Vanille and Fang will be involved in Lightning Returns, along with the evidence backing this up.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 23, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Don't forget that the only way to play those mini-games is via paid DLC. I kept waiting for "new attractions" to pop up in the main game but that never happened :(

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I agree with this statement, wholeheartedly and unironically.

Barthandelus was just fun to watch, and his boss fights were really cool.

It's a shame he would never be in a Dissidia. Just planted there, his gigantic robot airplane sphinx self, rearranging his face and blasting everyone out of the sky.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Quick question about a totally different FF game, because I have played either of the XIII's yet. There are a few versions of FFV in existence, and I'm wary of just getting the PSN one because FFVI had such awful load times. Does the GBA game make significant changes? Is the iOS one serviceable?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

IOS has fugly sprites and may or may not fix all the fun bugs. GBA is almost a straight port (there's a couple bug fixes) with some bonus content and a modernized interface.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

That loving Sned posted:

Edit: Azure, you're always going on about how all of these plot points are hinted at in the previous game. Please prove this by telling us how Sazh, Vanille and Fang will be involved in Lightning Returns, along with the evidence backing this up.

Fang was actually confirmed in a recent Lightning Returns trailer and there's so much time fuckery going on in the game anything will happen. It doesn't really take a lot of justification to go "HEY HERE'S SAZH. He got spat out by a wormhole."

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That loving Sned posted:

Azure, you're always going on about how all of these plot points are hinted at in the previous game. Please prove this by telling us how Sazh, Vanille and Fang will be involved in Lightning Returns, along with the evidence backing this up.

Sazh will be turn out to be Bhunivelze, in a twist so ridiculous it will retroactively redeem the plot of the entire XIII series.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Sazh will be turn out to be Bhunivelze, in a twist so ridiculous it will retroactively redeem the plot of the entire XIII series.

The Chocobo in his hair is Bhunivelze's most perfect creation and it will turn out that Chocobos not Humans are God's chosen people. The whole cast is then turned into Chocobos and forced to explore numerous mystery dungeons within Sazh's afro.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
Fang and Vanille were rescued in crystal form from the Cocoon pillar right before it collapsed in XIII-2. Also goth Serah is a character named Lumina who might not even be related to Serah in any way except looking like her to screw with Lighting.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Barudak posted:

The Chocobo in his hair is Bhunivelze's most perfect creation and it will turn out that Chocobos not Humans are God's chosen people. The whole cast is then turned into Chocobos and forced to explore numerous mystery dungeons within Sazh's afro.

:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Doesn't XIII-2 confirm that Chocolina is the Chocobo Chick grown up and through ~space-time magic~ or something? I really don't think I'm joking either.