Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
IDR?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Looks kinda hindu

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Cool ARMA gifs bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G30LKnm124

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011

Speaking of ARMA, This somehow got into a legit ITV documentary about the IRA.

XOXO
Mar 8, 2013

Ask me about being weaker than a 60 year-old British woman.
I was driving around in the middle of nowhere off a dirt road in Northwest Iceland and saw this:

Would any of you know what aircraft this is? It's a Navy aircraft that looks like it had 4 engines that had 3 propellers per engine. I know we had P-3s at Keflavic, but this isn't a P-3. I figured it might have been a cargo aircraft, but it didn't look like any I recognized. I hope it's not something obvious, and I'm just being dumb.

edit: it looks similar to a C-54, but the landing gear and windows on the sides of the fuselage aren't right.

XOXO fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 22, 2013

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

XOXO posted:

I was driving around in the middle of nowhere off a dirt road in Northwest Iceland and saw this:

Would any of you know what aircraft this is? It's a Navy aircraft that looks like it had 4 engines that had 3 propellers per engine. I know we had P-3s at Keflavic, but this isn't a P-3. I figured it might have been a cargo aircraft, but it didn't look like any I recognized. I hope it's not something obvious, and I'm just being dumb.

edit: it looks similar to a C-54, but the landing gear and windows on the sides of the fuselage aren't right.

It's a R5D, just a spotter version of the old C-54/DC-4 design and not a dedicatedcargo hauler, which is why the windows are different

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Isn't the R5D the Navy's name for a C-54, pre-1960s redesignation? Maybe it's the angle, but it looks like a short fuselage. I've been picking through navy aircraft, but the R5D was the closest I could find, too.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 22, 2013

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

Isn't the R5D the Navy's name for a C-54, pre-1960s redesignation? Maybe it's the angle, but it looks like a short fuselage. I've been picking through navy aircraft, but the R5D was the closest I could find, too.

My brother (a former Marine pilot and airplane loving human being) just said we're close, its the VC-54S, a VIP/ passenger only Navy transport plane, which would explain the plane being assigned to pilot by an O-6

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I was actually curious about that.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr6vUL2ThDQ

Glad that got sorted out.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Hahahaha, that is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqi3TpE0FGI

College Humor does some pretty good poo poo.

I'll be in that slut forever

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Booblord Zagats posted:

My brother (a former Marine pilot and airplane loving human being) just said we're close, its the VC-54S, a VIP/ passenger only Navy transport plane, which would explain the plane being assigned to pilot by an O-6

It looks to me like a C-117 "Super Gooney;" an updated version of the C-47/DC-3 from post-WW2. NAS Keflavik seems to have been awash in them. I'm guessing this based on the outline of the wing-it looks a bit too far forward for a C-54/R5D; plus, the curved gear door fairings were common modification to postwar DC-3's. The blisters on the tops of the engine cowlings match too.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Marines/Douglas-C-117D-%28DC-3S%29/2117621/L/&sid=2fd0be9505708f077e9501ac73102055

e: Checking my usual source, it's this one:

Joe Baugher posted:

17191 (c/n 12980) ex USAAF 42-93105. To storage May 1946. Converted to R4D-8
with new c/n 43379, returned to USN from Douglas December 1952. Retired from
service 1973; in 1987 was on display at NAF Keflavik, Iceland. Moved
Sept 2002 to Egils Olafssonair Minja-Og Fugminjasafn at Bjargtangar, Iceland.
It is now derelict without wings or rudder.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Navy/Douglas-C-117D-%28DC-3S%29/2157319/L/&sid=0ede087437c514cd15a9db599baea60f

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

this Owns

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

that brake disc

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 23, 2013

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
Looks more like a clutch you loving nerd.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Is that a Dutch F-16? The Dutch always have such sweet color schemes.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah it's the F16 Demo 'Team'. Hint: you can still go around the airshow circuit even if you've only got 68 fast jets.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yes.

My ~*Dutch Wife*~ walked by, saw this image and said, "That's OUR plane!"

cryingdutchman.gif

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Why do the Dutch have "One Team, One Mission" written in English on their jets? International audience or something?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Mustang posted:

Why do the Dutch have "One Team, One Mission" written in English on their jets? International audience or something?

International audience and high levels of English speakers in the Dutch population.

http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/ebs/ebs_237.en.pdf posted:

..in Netherlands where 87% reply to speak
English in addition to their mother tongue, 88% consider to do so at very good or
good level.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Looks more like a clutch you loving nerd.

..yeah, that is definitely a bike rotor/caliper assembly.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The vast majority of Dutch people speak English so it just makes it easier.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

LIke an Ace Combat color scheme, owns owns owns

hailthefish posted:

International audience and high levels of English speakers in the Dutch population.

The US is full of idiots; seems like every other country has huge percentages of their population as bilingual/trilingual. And they speak better English than some Americans do.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

movax posted:

LIke an Ace Combat color scheme, owns owns owns

ace combat.....sigh :(

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ahh this isnt yospos i can't probate for anime

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQxb-V-rZqA

:allears:

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho
^^ww2 planes sound badass

movax posted:

well 90% of us don't secretly like it so it isn't ever an issue

only like 70%

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

movax posted:

The US is full of idiots; seems like every other country has huge percentages of their population as bilingual/trilingual. And they speak better English than some Americans do.

Other countries learn English out of necessity not some love for language. Everyone speaks it because the British and Americans have been dominating the world for the last 3 centuries.

Spanish is the only language that you could make a strong case for the average American to learn and only for convenience sake.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

movax posted:

:getin:

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Veins McGee posted:

Everyone speaks it because the British and Americans have been dominating the world for the last 3 centuries.

:911::hf::britain:

Yeah, English is pretty much the trading language. Due to the number of Europeans who know English, my expierence has been that in touristy areas around the world, even ones that are more often frequented by Euros, English is the common communicate language.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

It looks to me like a C-117 "Super Gooney;" an updated version of the C-47/DC-3 from post-WW2. NAS Keflavik seems to have been awash in them. I'm guessing this based on the outline of the wing-it looks a bit too far forward for a C-54/R5D; plus, the curved gear door fairings were common modification to postwar DC-3's. The blisters on the tops of the engine cowlings match too.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Marines/Douglas-C-117D-%28DC-3S%29/2117621/L/&sid=2fd0be9505708f077e9501ac73102055

e: Checking my usual source, it's this one:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Navy/Douglas-C-117D-%28DC-3S%29/2157319/L/&sid=0ede087437c514cd15a9db599baea60f

You might be right, looks like the spacing between the engines isn't far enough so the crew could have just joined the engine/wing segments together which is what threw everyone off

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

This made me visibly giddy IRL

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

movax posted:

Get Vas to do it. If I were a mod I would.

Edit: Actually I've got some kind of weird animegirl Pak-FA transformer picture somewhere.

Booblord Zagats posted:

You might be right, looks like the spacing between the engines isn't far enough so the crew could have just joined the engine/wing segments together which is what threw everyone off

Yup, we were all looking for a 4-engine, not a twin. Nice find Plastic_Gargoyle!

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 23, 2013

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
We're missing some Bastille Day festivities in here.

The French Foreign Legion marching and singing (at 88bpm) in 2011: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfVo6uV5mbc. "gently caress you, we'll march as slowly as we please. If you have anything to say, say it to the old guy at 0:53."

Bonus video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeaGO85Z_Fk (The Pacific Batallion performs the Haka - also on the Bastille Day in 2011)

XOXO
Mar 8, 2013

Ask me about being weaker than a 60 year-old British woman.

Godholio posted:

Yup, we were all looking for a 4-engine, not a twin. Nice find Plastic_Gargoyle!

Yeah, thanks for IDing that Plastic_Gargoyle. It didn't occur to me for some reason that the wings out have been joined underneath the fuselage, so I thought that was just one wing with both engines. On the subject of Iceland and flight, have a picture of Thorsteinn Jonsson, Iceland's only ace:

Pretty good for a country with no air force.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lily Pond was a concept for a modular floating airfield; little hexagonal sections bolted together and covered with a heavy mat. I think we can all agree it's for the best it didn't see much service, but the footage of a Fairey Swordfish taking off using JATO bottles is pretty cool.

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675053379_Floating-Air-Strips_emergency-landing-field_Lily-Pond_hexagonal-segments

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Madurai posted:

Lily Pond was a concept for a modular floating airfield; little hexagonal sections bolted together and covered with a heavy mat. I think we can all agree it's for the best it didn't see much service, but the footage of a Fairey Swordfish taking off using JATO bottles is pretty cool.

I thought that was a pretty neat idea until I saw this:

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

kemikalkadet posted:

I thought that was a pretty neat idea until I saw this:

:stare:

If you had to choose between landing on that and ditching in the North Sea...

• Locked thread