Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DangerKat posted:

I used the rocket launcher so that helped with no needing to get right up next to the ones at the airport or in Bellevue Park. Hell, Staunton in general was real quick since like 3 blocks between 4 of the 5 using the rocket launcher.

:aaa: I had no idea you could do this. Should have at least tried, so shame on me. Oddly enough the GTA Wiki says nothing about it, so I presumed you'd have to use a car.
Now on to S.A.M.

bort posted:

You might not want to play Liberty City Stories, then...

I can't say it's a priority anyway, mostly because it's not out on the PC and I lack a controller.
I do appreciate the warning though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Is there some fix for San Andreas that allows you to remove the frame limiter without breaking all the poo poo that doing so normally breaks?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

The rear end Stooge posted:

Is there some fix for San Andreas that allows you to remove the frame limiter without breaking all the poo poo that doing so normally breaks?

Use this to change the frame limit to 55 or 60. Don't set it at 105 (60 in game) because that will just cause things to stutter horribly. 55 (40 in game) is high enough.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Are there mods for GTA4 to fix the little annoyances? I keep trying to give it another chance but it drives me nuts:

- Niko walks everywhere so slow, but if I sprint he has the turning circle of a firetruck
- Cars don't seem to have no weight (hitting a curb at speed seems to send them spinning) and all the ones I've tried understeer so I end up smashing into buildings.

I've reinstalled San Andreas and the differences are like night and day. I just don't feel like I have control over Niko at all compared to CJ.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Finally working on San Andreas again. I was somewhat demoralised after switching from the DVD version to Steam, and finding that my 30 or so hour savegame wouldn't carry over. I couldn't keep playing the disc version though, I think it was the copy-protection on it that was causing it to crash constantly (because I would often see that securerom mouse cursor or whatever it was while the game was in the process of crashing). The Steam one works perfectly.

I would love if someone updated the character models, and there was higher-resolution loading art. Everything else could stay the same and this game would still be amazing.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

nexus6 posted:

Are there mods for GTA4 to fix the little annoyances? I keep trying to give it another chance but it drives me nuts:

- Niko walks everywhere so slow, but if I sprint he has the turning circle of a firetruck
- Cars don't seem to have no weight (hitting a curb at speed seems to send them spinning) and all the ones I've tried understeer so I end up smashing into buildings.

I've reinstalled San Andreas and the differences are like night and day. I just don't feel like I have control over Niko at all compared to CJ.

Unfortunately, this is just a problem with the GTA 4 series of games. I will say Johnny moves SLIGHTLY better in EFLC compared to Niko. I haven't been able to find a mod for this exact problem and I can never play the game for long without quitting because of this. The movement on foot and in cars is very clunky and loose and tanklike. You steer niko like a vehicle rather than control him.

Thankfully, they're obviously improving this for GTA V which you can tell easily from playing Max Payne 3 and seeing how tight the euphoria movement has become. But hey, if anyone finds a mod that fixes this let me know.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
That's a pity, I sure hope they do fix it in GTAV. Until then I'll just stick with Saint's Row.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Are there any decent graphics overhaul mods for San Andreas? I already enjoy the game thoroughly the way it is so I don't need some experimental crysis graphics that make the game unstable, just enough to possibly bring it a few years closer to now.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Avocados posted:

Are there any decent graphics overhaul mods for San Andreas? I already enjoy the game thoroughly the way it is so I don't need some experimental crysis graphics that make the game unstable, just enough to possibly bring it a few years closer to now.

There's ENB Series, or the newer SweetFX.
http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/sweetfx_shader_suite_download.html

This was with ENB.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 27, 2013

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
Just a heads up, Amazon is running some crazy PC sales right now. You can get GTA IV, Max Payne 3, and LA Noire for $12. The sale ends tomorrow (5/31)

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I just grabbed GTA4. Are there any must have mods/mod packs for it?

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Has anyone gotten the wireless 360 controller to work with GTA IV & EFLC? For some reason this game really doesn't like mapping the controls the way they are shown in the control menu. I searched around and it seems the common answer is to buy a wired one but I'd rather not do that. Just would like to have the controls work normally, as it is now start is accel and the rt/lt bumpers only move the camera horizontally.

I noticed that the Microsoft drivers installed correctly but Xboxstat.exe fails to run that is under C:\Program Files\Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessories. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the controller not playing nice with GFWL GTA IV & EFLC.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

-Troika- posted:

I just grabbed GTA4. Are there any must have mods/mod packs for it?

Simple native trainer for sandboxing after you finish and first person mod because it's cool.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Okay here's a kinda weird :spergin: question.

Are there any cool self imposed challenge ideas for GTA SA? That game seriously has the best cheats and the gameplay is still a lot of fun. Lately I've been setting waypoints in far away places and trying to get there with homicidal pedestrians with guns.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Every cheat that makes npc's have guns, hate you and eachother.
You have one car to get from the airport to grove street.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Avocados posted:

Are there any cool self imposed challenge ideas for GTA SA? That game seriously has the best cheats and the gameplay is still a lot of fun. Lately I've been setting waypoints in far away places and trying to get there with homicidal pedestrians with guns.

The next step is to try a speedrun. Some have beaten San Andreas in one sitting.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Avocados posted:

Restrict yourself to the weakest weapon in each category (you can find this out by using the lowest tier weapons cheat), and try to beat the story using only those weapons. You can give yourself an exception if a mission you do requires you to use a stronger weapon for the category, but after the mission you have to ditch it and replace with the weakest one.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Avocados posted:

Are there any cool self imposed challenge ideas for GTA SA?

Jump in the water and try to find a way out without killing yourself in real life.

Edit: that game is like... You can swim, but we didn't make any ramps for you to get out.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Avocados posted:

See how far you can drive a Vortex off of Mount Chiliad.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Try to jetpack onto the highest points in the game. Try to get police helicopters to spawn underground or in carparks. Get up to 3/4 stars and see how far out you can get that huge dump truck before it explodes or you die.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I've decided to check out the "San Andreas in GTAIV" mod, so I downloaded it and GTA4 both. Ran the mod first, and it prompted me to run the game. Tried to do so... but it wouldn't launch. Clicking play, double clicking or whatever just does... nothing.

Everything google turns up talks about issues with games for windows live or rockstar social club, but I don't even get a prompt to install either, just... nothing.

I tried verifying the file cache and restarting steam. Neither helped. I'd really hate to have to download GTA IV all over again, because it took forever on my lovely connection.

Any idea as to what the problem is and how can it be solved? Windows 7, absolutely no error messages to share.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Holy goddamn is handling ever obnoxious in GTA4. Are there any handling mods that make cars handle more like in GTA SA?

I made the mistake of installing a "realistic driving" mod but it made everything handle WORSE not better. If I wanted a driving simulator I would not be playing GTA.

I just want to be able to chase cars down dammit :(

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
With the advent of UAC, it always helps to try running as admin as a first step to troubleshooting in W7.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
This being summer, I actually managed to read through the entire thread! I've been playing the series for a long time and there are quite a few things to talk about.

Most recently I've been replaying San Andreas and IV, both on the Xbox. I've done everything necessary to get 100% on SA, apart from the taxi missions because of the glitch where no passengers spawn :(. I think the games have steadily gotten "easier", if not just easier to pick up and play, which isn't necessarily a negative point for me. I'm awful at the early games but seem to be moderately good at SA and IV. Don't get me started on The Chiliad Challenge though...

I feel like I've always been comparatively kind to IV, I like it. It's not a "perfect" game and I think some comments are reactionary according to the early reviews that stated as much. It has obvious problems but. There were some fun interpretations of Niko many, many pages back and I think what I like about the character is that he's the most psychological GTA protagonist yet, a real sadomasochist in denial. He at least seems more consistent when he's read that way.

I also feel like partially defending what seems to be an unpopular part of the game, the Mafia segment in Joisey... I think what I like about it is that the Mafia has long been at the centre of the series, but IV gives you a family that is frankly incompetent and unimportant to work with (some of the mission dialogue with the Pegorinos borders on farce really), while the only significant Mafioso we see is a frail old man who's dying before our very eyes in a hospital. IV was a departure from lots of things in the series and I feel like the story reflected that there.

I really like the "random encounters" and I think they go a good distance in colouring the city and culture. Red Dead Redemption did a lot with this too so I've got high hopes for V!

There was also talk a long time ago about IV's soundtrack not being good or at least not varied. I simply cannot agree with that, I think it's superb and broad. My only real gripe is the resetting issue that seems to happen more often with certain radio stations (e.g. The Classics).

Finally, I don't think IV's tone clashes with the Viz-esque humour that's still there. I still laugh at that banner advertising a restaurant in Alderney that reads "Get stuffed!", because I'm a child I suppose :v:.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I don't think this was posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-xHcvug3WI

Edit: and that's because there's another thread which I never new about :cripes:

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 20, 2013

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
Nevermind. I'm bitter now.

HotCheetoChallenge fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 23, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Assuming you have the Steam version, google how to downgrade it. The Steam one is "v3.0" and breaks save compatibility for some reason. I ended up just starting over myself when my old saves wouldn't carry over from my DVD copy. It was worth it to have a stable game. My DVD was defective or something.

John Dounce
Jan 17, 2012

Is this only about completing flight school? I could do that if you upload your save file somewhere.

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou

konsum posted:

Is this only about completing flight school? I could do that if you upload your save file somewhere.

I can't run downloaded save files, because the steam version is stupid. I have to downgrade to an earlier version in order to do that. Which I've been trying to do for like two hours. It won't work, and I've tried everything short of a crack, which I'm not going to do because it would take all day to DL and in that time I might as well beat flight school myself. And I don't want to beat it myself, because by the time I do that, I will thoroughly hate the game. Which I already kind of do. Sorry for the rant. gently caress this game.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If you can't complete flight school you must be unimaginably terrible at video games, and you also have no chance of finishing the game because a bunch of the missions require the same sort of basic flying a plane poo poo.

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
Maybe it's easier on a controller? Oh well.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The PC flight-control mapping was definitely crap. Some friendly goon used to have a whole custom way of setting up a 360 controller (RoboHobo?) that made the San Andreas controls work vastly better. You could manually remap the keyboard/mouse controls at least though.

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

lady blue shanghai posted:

Maybe it's easier on a controller? Oh well.

Make sure you're raising your landing gear after takeoff because it'll slow the handling of your plane down. I had that problem years ago when I started a PC GTA:SA playthrough then took a long break and forgot all the controls when I came back and couldn't beat the flying through the rings part.

Scope fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 23, 2013

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

I think the only part of San Andreas that I actually felt I needed the PC controls for was on that one mission for Zero.

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
Yeah, I remember the Zero missions being bad, but aren't they optional? I also have the game on PS2 and I remember doing one Zero mission and being like "nope." The shooting on consoles is awful too, so I was happy with the PC version and kbm controls 'til I got to flight school. Maybe I'll finish the game on console someday. It doesn't even matter. GTA5 is coming :3:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I'm playing through the GTA games to prepare myself for V, and I'm doing some of the side stuff. To be honest, I can do without ever having to race on a bike through Alderney Beach ever again. I'm not sure if I can win that race.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Just remember that you don't have to gun it at all during races except during the final couple of turns. Take it easy when you're on the beach.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I seem to have not gotten a trophy for the mission Lowest Point in GTA4, despite completing the entire story. Is there a reason why I didn't get it? I imagine it's too late to fix now.

Edit: Played through the story on another saved game and still didn't get it. What the hell?

thehustler fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 16, 2013

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktbE0woDFo4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Does anybody have the links to the YouTube videos of the gang of fat guys in GTA 4 who go around causing chaos like all of them shooting out their car windows and then stumbling into the strip club and shooting their pistols around?

Searching doesn't seem to be helping me.

• Locked thread