Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CK2's wikipedia links should be functional for all characters, not just historical ones. For non-historical characters it should create a brand new page for them, and automatically fill it out with their exploits, like the report you get when you resign from EU3.

In Swenglish, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ofaloaf posted:

Warr-cess-terr-shy-err. Pretty straighforward.

I will punch you.. :D

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

This would be cool if it was optional. India would be a nightmare, though. Sending a merchant from ವಿಜಯನಗರ to കൊച്ചി to raise money for soldiers to put down a rebellion in சென்னை before marching on मुंबई. And that's just in the south :shepface:

I'm hoping Google translate works well enough for just the names of individual cities important to the area those languages are spoken in.

How about have the local name written in its local alphabet but with English in a smaller font below it?

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
Does anyone have any slightly gamey strategies for Vic2 HOD? I'm just getting into it now, as someone who has been Paradoxing games since EU2. As pretty much any European power I tend to go and invade Tunisia for the cheap somewhat populous colony to use up my early BB and let BB reduction not go to waste.. not sure if that's still the right call. What's the typical tech strategy to go for? And where else should I go given the new conference mechanic that annexes all of my sphere uncivs in Africa? And are there any new, more viable minors (that can, with a bit of gameyness, go on to fight GPs.)

I've played all of CK2/Darkest Hour/EU3 and now Vic 2 in the last month. Speaking of which, what did HOI3 end up like, with expansions? After playing the original, I felt it was way too sandboxy and every country was too similar for my tastes.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
And a rating of one to five Johans depicting the suitability of the region for planning summer vacation.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

rhazes posted:

I've played all of CK2/Darkest Hour/EU3 and now Vic 2 in the last month. Speaking of which, what did HOI3 end up like, with expansions? After playing the original, I felt it was way too sandboxy and every country was too similar for my tastes.

For my sins, I've bought every expansion to Hearts of Iron 3, and I try it from time to time, but I've never really been satisfied by it.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Use glory holes instead!

Gort posted:

For my sins, I've bought every expansion to Hearts of Iron 3, and I try it from time to time, but I've never really been satisfied by it.

Okay, Thanks. I loved HoI/HoI2, but HoI3 was just... blah.

I'm so excited of how big CK2 (And Paradox) have gotten: my steam friends are filled with people I would have never imagined playing "historical" games. I was a CK1 alpha tester back when it was developed by that absolutely miserable 3rd party developer, and loved the crap out of CK1. CK2 is what I was hoping HOI3 would do to HOI2, but it was just a more freeform version of HOI2 without any historical grounding, pretty much like Vanilla EU3 before the expansions made it amazing. I think I still played EU2 sometimes/preferred it until they released the 2nd or 3rd expansion for EU3. Pity that HOI3 hasn't had the same treatment. Thankfully Arsenal of Democracy and Darkest Hour came to be.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

CK2's wikipedia links should be functional for all characters, not just historical ones. For non-historical characters it should create a brand new page for them, and automatically fill it out with their exploits, like the report you get when you resign from EU3.

In Swenglish, of course.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Dukebutte_II_The_Great

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Ofaloaf posted:

Joking aside, I seriously don't know how to pronounce "'s-Hertogenbosch".

http://www.forvo.com/word/%27s-hertogenbosch/ (the 2nd one)

Alternatively, Den Bosch.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Gort posted:

I've tried so hard to love HoI3 but it just doesn't love me back. :smith:

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates
Playing EU3, 1453 startdate as Muscovy in order to get ready for EU4. I forgot how insufferable hordes can be, and it's even worse with Kazan, Nogai, Sibir and a hundred more, rather than just the Golden horde and Kazakh. Hope they've been fixed or mother Russia will almost never form.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dj Vulvio posted:

Playing EU3, 1453 startdate as Muscovy in order to get ready for EU4. I forgot how insufferable hordes can be, and it's even worse with Kazan, Nogai, Sibir and a hundred more, rather than just the Golden horde and Kazakh. Hope they've been fixed or mother Russia will almost never form.

I wouldn't play EU3 to get ready for EU4. That is like playing CK1 to get ready for CK2. Some of the basics are still there, but so much has changed that you're probably making it harder to learn EU4 instead of just trying it from scratch.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Dj Vulvio posted:

I believe they've tuned the horde mechanics (ie they're not hordes in the EU3 sense any more). Also, Paradox have said that one of the things they're really gunning for in EU4 is to increase the chance of the AI forming nations that existed during the timeline, such as Spain, Russia and the Netherlands.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
As a side note, if you participated in the Europa Universalis IV newsletter campaign a few months back, they're emailing out the prizes. I got my EU3 steam key, the art of war, The Prince, the EU4 strategy guide and the EU4 primer, with the promise of the DLC later (probably at launch).

tombom
Mar 8, 2006
The SWMH mod for CK2 gives every province, barony and title localised names (although not in a different script) with some changes for different cultures owning them. It's an interesting mod but it's pretty hard to keep track of where everything is.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
What's a fun small country to play in Vicky 2?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

De Oranj Vrystaat, broer!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I found Dai Nam to be pretty fun. You're in a good position to dominate Indochina.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
Steam code for Europa Universalis III: Chronicles: KAAPI-85297-GF88M

Normally I'd post this in PGS, but I love you guys more <3

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

aqu posted:

Steam code for Europa Universalis III: Chronicles: KAAPI-85297-GF88M

Normally I'd post this in PGS, but I love you guys more <3

Thanks a billion! I'll give you something in return. Whats your steam ID?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
I was really disappointed in V2 when I was playing as the Zulus. I conquered the Boer states in before the UK declared war on me. I had enough research for foreign weapons and actually managed to beat the UK back. I had conquered all of South Africa but I guess since I was a unciv I could ask no concessions. I couldn't even ask for a white peace, I had to wait for them to offer one. It just felt really dumb.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 23, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you're fighting a defensive war, you have to actually set a war goal if you want to demand concessions. You should be able to offer white peace by clicking the offer terms tab of the peace screen.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Johan posted a little sneak peek at Ethiopia's national ideas in the EU4 subforum today:

quote:

Ethiopian Ideas
Starts with +20% manpower and -20% land attrition.

Solomonid Claim: +1% Prestige
Nagusa Negast: +25% Heir Chance
Hostile Borders: +20% Defensiveness
Diplomatic Demeanor: +2 Diplomatic Reputation
The Ark of the Covenant: +1% Missionary Strength & -10% Stability Cost.
Expansionist Policy: -20% Core Creation
Reformed Armies: +10% Discipline

And with all ideas, they get +1 yearly legitimacy.

Enjoy!

This has caused the opinion of Johan to drop among the members of the 'Poland for the next dev diary faction'.

quote:

You tease old iwanow, with saying Ethiopian NI's before polish are known... Evil Johan, want to annoy me...

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Its nice seeing them start to focus on non-European nations more. Hopefully it isn't like in EU3 where my Pacific Japanese empire can be easily conquered by a small German nation from across the globe. Its also amusing to see nationalists whine that their very own special snowflake nation isn't getting attention.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Use glory holes instead!

Fister Roboto posted:

De Oranj Vrystaat, broer!

How do you actually expand early? In A House Divided, I would just mobilize or promote soldiers with max spending to get a second division and annex transvaal over the course of 2 wars, but now I can't because it takes until 1850 to get a second soldier division that way..

Also, Oranje doesn't seem to have that ridiculous pop growth rate any more (along with Two Silicies, I think) that made you balloon to ridiculousness if you could get some territory early on.

rhazes fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 24, 2013

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Its nice seeing them start to focus on non-European nations more. Hopefully it isn't like in EU3 where my Pacific Japanese empire can be easily conquered by a small German nation from across the globe. Its also amusing to see nationalists whine that their very own special snowflake nation isn't getting attention.

Well, to be fair, Poland was kind of a big deal in Eastern Europe at this time.

vvv Yeah that guy sure is something else.

Rannos22 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 24, 2013

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything

I'm sure Johan is very sad to have angered the biggest idiot sperglord in Eu3.

Deception
Nov 6, 2004
Your an idiot
My an idiot
I've always played CK and CK2 but never really gave EUIII a chance because I didn't like it when it first came out, what are the major difference's between the two, besides dynasty vs nation?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What is this "Iwanow" funny business? Is this a Polish word. I googled it and I don't know what the hell it is supposed to be.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

rhazes posted:

How do you actually expand early? In A House Divided, I would just mobilize or promote soldiers with max spending to get a second division and annex transvaal over the course of 2 wars, but now I can't because it takes until 1850 to get a second soldier division that way..

Also, Oranje doesn't seem to have that ridiculous pop growth rate any more (along with Two Silicies, I think) that made you balloon to ridiculousness if you could get some territory early on.

I never played Victoria 2 before AHoD, but after hearing the suggestion that Oranje is fun, or that it's a great nation for beginners I tried to give it a shot a while back. But, I think that it must have just been a country that worked well in vanilla or AHD and doesn't really work well anymore. Case in point, they start with 2 unique decisions and one of them doesn't even actually do anything.

It sounds like this decision is supposed to draw Boer culture pops from British South African provinces into your own provinces.

My provinces get the modifier from it.

The British provinces get the modifier from it.

But, whatever it's actually doing isn't enough to get them to come to your provinces, or even leave the British provinces at all.

The modifiers last for 10 years, but even after a full year passes the only migration I'm seeing is small internal movements.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything

YouTuber posted:

What is this "Iwanow" funny business? Is this a Polish word. I googled it and I don't know what the hell it is supposed to be.

It's a Polish dude on the Eu3 forums.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Deception posted:

I've always played CK and CK2 but never really gave EUIII a chance because I didn't like it when it first came out, what are the major difference's between the two, besides dynasty vs nation?
All military units are more like retinues from CK2. You can control exactly how many types of units you put in each army, but the actual number of unit types are fewer than in CK2. There isn't anything akin to CK's levies or Victoria 2's mobilization. Naval combat and naval attrition is a thing. You can't indiscriminately dump soldiers off anywhere you want with ease unless you can fight off hostile battle fleets and handle the attrition if it's a long distance.

Diplomacy is more straightforward. You can generally just pick another nation that you'd like to cooperate with, shower them with gifts, and then set up a military alliance or other treaties with them.

CK2 is kind of samey throughout the game, but EU3 takes on distinctly different feels over the years. Everyone starts off on more or less equal footing, but the technology gap will grow so far between the west and the east that western nations will feel like playing with cheats on near the end if you focus on picking on low tech rivals. There's also the turmoil of the reformation, the age of exploration, and a growing (although ultimately kind of anemic) revolutionary sentiment near the end date with more dangerous republican rebels in Europe and rebels in colonies that may attempt to break away and form independent nations.

The spoils of war aren't necessarily tied to wargoals. CBs will make it cheaper in warscore and infamy costs to take a particular thing, but someone may declare war on you for insulting them (or for no reason at all) and end up demanding a province in the middle of your country in a peace bargain which has nothing to do with why the war was declared.

YouTuber posted:

He's a Paradox forums poster.

Kersch fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 24, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

This is going to sound racist as hell, but what is it with Poles and strategy games? You don't see anybody else losing their loving minds over how/if their country exists as a faction. Is there just a really big strategy game fanbase in Poland?

(please do not probate me, I am not racist against Poles. :ohdear: )

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

rhazes posted:

Don't worry about expanding early. Taking Transvaal for their diamond mines is good. But your main advantage is that you've only got one state so you can very quickly ramp up your literacy and max out your research and get way ahead in tech. Focus on prestige and industry techs - you have coal and iron mines so you can easily make to secondary power status. Then when 1880 rolls around you can get a head start in colonization and block the UK and other powers from taking a fairly hefty portion of the continent.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

DStecks posted:

This is going to sound racist as hell, but what is it with Poles and strategy games? You don't see anybody else losing their loving minds over how/if their country exists as a faction. Is there just a really big strategy game fanbase in Poland?

You forgot Serbia.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Strategy Games just have a huge following in Eastern Europe that's all really. Poles really love Civilization too so it was basically Christmas when Casimir III was announced for Civ V.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

DStecks posted:

I don't really think there are more Poles complaining. I just think that Paradox is just purposefully trolling Iwanow by saving Poland's dev diary for last :v:

Johan should post a joke update that Poland is a wasteland by default and can be unlocked as playable with a post-launch DLC.

Kersch fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 24, 2013

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

RagnarokAngel posted:

Strategy Games just have a huge following in Eastern Europe that's all really. Poles really love Civilization too so it was basically Christmas when Casimir III was announced for Civ V.

Which always struck me as strange since Warsaw was already in the game as a city-state, but then the famous city-state of Warsaw was already kinda nonsense anyway :v:.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It was not the first civ to do that. Seoul was a city-state I believe, and Jakarta definitely was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

RagnarokAngel posted:

It was not the first civ to do that. Seoul was a city-state I believe, and Jakarta definitely was.

Along with Stockholm, Copenhagen, and Vienna. If nothing else, it's a decent way to throw a bone to all those oft-requested nations that can't reasonably be fit into the game without making it even more Euro-centric.

As for eastern European nationalism, I imagine it has to do with having relatively little representation in world (i.e. American) media, so you cling to whatever you can get.

Walliard fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 24, 2013

• Locked thread