Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's not strange. Most guard units try to have a good relationship with the local community. You could most likely knock on the armory's door and set up a little photo op and Q/A if you want to go that far. Worst they'll do is give you contact information for public affairs and send you on your way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I was going to suggest the same thing. If you call their PA folks they can probably set you up with something cooler than the bedazzled billboard-mobile.

Edit: That'll probably be the highlight of the PA guy's day, honestly.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Only because it says, "Support our troops by enlisting" which isn't exactly the same as sending care packages down range.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
How do I cancel my SGLI plan?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Rude. posted:

How do I cancel my SGLI plan?

Just curious-are you active duty and why?

My guess would be see the yeoman but it seems like a fairly alright deal. Haven't looked at term life insurance quotes though either.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
pretty sure either s1 or finance can do it. Or the next time you update your DD93. Way to save 27 bucks a month.

Now if only I could stop giving my .50 to AFRH

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
drop your sgli to the minimum amount and your monthly payment is like 4 bux. I have no dependents or debts so I did that and rolled the savings into booze

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
For those of you guys who get custom patches done in low-volume/one-off, any recommendations? I know there used to be a goon who did it in SA Mart, but pretty sure he closed up shop.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Either find a local shop (there's one near any Air Force base, the one in OKC is on 29th called Tailor Made). Or Mardon, but I think they had a min order of 50 or something like that.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

For those of you guys who get custom patches done in low-volume/one-off, any recommendations? I know there used to be a goon who did it in SA Mart, but pretty sure he closed up shop.

I used Tailor Made as Godholio suggested. They take orders over the phone provided it's a simple design. Anything more complex is best left to Mardonco.

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
So I just found a MILPER message about reclassing into a certain MOS and, at the same time, saw that it expired 2.5 weeks ago.

Gooble Gobble fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 9, 2014

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
go ahead and talk, worst they can do is say no?

Carnival Rider
Apr 23, 2006

A civilian guy working at a vehicle self service center went WAAAAY across the line with racist comments and I want to get him crushed. Is there anything else we can do other than talking to his supervisor (ignored, he's been there a while and just got shrugged off with a what can you do attitude) or an ICE comment?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
ICE comments totally get listened to. If that's your first step that's a good one.

Don't do like what one of my sergeants did and make a joke one, he had sergeant major knocking on his door Friday afternoon for a friendly rear end chewing.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Carnival Rider posted:

A civilian guy working at a vehicle self service center went WAAAAY across the line with racist comments and I want to get him crushed. Is there anything else we can do other than talking to his supervisor (ignored, he's been there a while and just got shrugged off with a what can you do attitude) or an ICE comment?

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly did this turd say?

I'm always interested in where everyone's individual threshold for taking action in these situations are..

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Only time I ever did an ICE was for someone's boss who interrupted one of my out-processing appointments to chew the rear end of the person I was getting the brief from, in public. gently caress that clown.

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The only time I did an ICE review is when I was forced to lose my BAS for chow hall purposes and they shut down dinner and midnight chow at the chow hall in my area, and basically told everyone living in those dorms to either buy a car or gently caress off, we weren't getting partial BAS (closest chow hall was 3-4 mi away and no shuttle between those areas)

e: the commander of the fss called our shop to speak with the 6 of us who filled out ICE forms, and complained to one of the airmen that he wanted fss squadron of the year, and couldn't get it with that many negative reviews (yes, seriously). gently caress that place lol

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

When staying in a barracks as an enlisted, what's the main expenses to plan for out of your pay?

How much would an E-1 (2, 3) plan to have left after main expenses each month?

Finances scare and confuse me, and the first thing I learned when looking into the military is never believe what anyone who talks to you before you're actually shipped out says, if it sounds too good.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

KittyEmpress posted:

When staying in a barracks as an enlisted, what's the main expenses to plan for out of your pay?

How much would an E-1 (2, 3) plan to have left after main expenses each month?

Finances scare and confuse me, and the first thing I learned when looking into the military is never believe what anyone who talks to you before you're actually shipped out says, if it sounds too good.

Hahahaha, financial planning? As lower enlisted? As long as my phone and internet are paid, the rest goes to fuel raging alcohol and Steam addictions.

Yeah I put away like $300+ a month, but still. I'll be damned if anyone tells me I can't act like a soju-soaked manchild for a few years.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

KittyEmpress posted:

Cell phone and internet. Car insurance and gas, as appropriate. Probably a good idea to get some no-monthly-fees credit card, use it for those, and pay it off every month, preferably automatically, to build credit history. Don't use it for anything else and if you don't trust your good sense, don't even carry it with you. Remember that the military has you covered for room and most food

Otherwise, try to keep expenses to emergencies, and don't buy anything big without thinking about it a few days. Don't buy anything you would be heartbroken about a barracks-mate peeing on, because it will happen.

Don't buy a new car. Don't buy a car from a buy-here-pay-here or pretty much anywhere right near base.

For the love of gently caress don't get married and don't knock up any base-trawling skank, use your own condoms.

It's best to start saving money as soon as possible but that's beyond the scope of your question.

Do use your money to have fun, especially outside the US, just don't be that guy who rang up a $3k weekend bill on a single stripper and didn't even get a handy.

Pretty quickly you'll see how those around you fail at money responsibility, and you'll figure out moderation pretty quick.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Lower enlisted that keep their poo poo clean and don't blow money are like unicorns apparently. Also don't abuse alcohol, holy poo poo.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Monitor your credit report to because when you deploy/PCS/are ordered to move rooms for no reason your Internet will probably try to give you made up charges for no reason.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Don't knock up a girl. Condoms: they will save you.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

WOMEN DESERVE RAPE posted:

Hahahaha, financial planning? As lower enlisted? As long as my phone and internet are paid, the rest goes to fuel raging alcohol and Steam addictions.

Yeah I put away like $300+ a month, but still. I'll be damned if anyone tells me I can't act like a soju-soaked manchild for a few years.

This was not what I was expecting to hear, and likely wont be what I'll do. I'll try to remember to have fun though.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Cell phone and internet. Car insurance and gas, as appropriate. Probably a good idea to get some no-monthly-fees credit card, use it for those, and pay it off every month, preferably automatically, to build credit history. Don't use it for anything else and if you don't trust your good sense, don't even carry it with you. Remember that the military has you covered for room and most food

If I don't have a car and don't plan to get one am I okay? Building the credit score is a very good idea, and I never thought of it.

quote:

Otherwise, try to keep expenses to emergencies, and don't buy anything big without thinking about it a few days. Don't buy anything you would be heartbroken about a barracks-mate peeing on, because it will happen.

What are navy barracks like anyways? What I found on them (on About.com) seems a bit too good to be true.

quote:

Don't buy a new car. Don't buy a car from a buy-here-pay-here or pretty much anywhere right near base.

Wont be happening because gently caress driving I hate it?

quote:

For the love of gently caress don't get married and don't knock up any base-trawling skank, use your own condoms.

Well, I've never had much of a sex drive, so anything sex related isn't likely to go wrong. Especially for other reasons. :v:

quote:

It's best to start saving money as soon as possible but that's beyond the scope of your question.

Do use your money to have fun, especially outside the US, just don't be that guy who rang up a $3k weekend bill on a single stripper and didn't even get a handy.

Pretty quickly you'll see how those around you fail at money responsibility, and you'll figure out moderation pretty quick.

I'm pretty sure I'll stick to using about $500 a month on entertainment in the end, and save the rest.

Rude. posted:

Lower enlisted that keep their poo poo clean and don't blow money are like unicorns apparently. Also don't abuse alcohol, holy poo poo.

Yeah gently caress alcohol, I'm underage (18) anyways. What do you mean by 'keep their poo poo clean' though?

gleep gloop posted:

Monitor your credit report to because when you deploy/PCS/are ordered to move rooms for no reason your Internet will probably try to give you made up charges for no reason.

Wow, that's something I've never heard of, so thanks for that information!

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 29, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Navy barracks vary widely from base to base and your experience with them can vary based on the command(s) inhabiting them. I can't remember if you're a nuke or not. Charleston barracks were as nice as any college dorm; Groton's were on paper good (big rooms, one roommate, kitchen etc) but in reality awful (holes in walls, plumbing questionable, one side of mine had the heat on full blast 365 days of the year, etc.) I've not heard good things about Norfolk barracks. Puerto Rico barracks were concrete slab floors / go outside to take a shower in a big open bay, but that base has been closed for nearly a decade.

Getting a car (since it sounds like you don't have one) is up to you. Some bases have convenient locales and good public transit, some don't. Don't sit around in the barracks. Discover women (or men, whatever.) Discover the outdoors, discover the city, discover something. Live it up when you're attachmentless and resilient at 18 because at 30 you'll wish you had. Don't be that guy who plays video games and never leaves his barracks room outside for work. The best investment you can make at the ripe old age of 18 and independent with an income is in life experiences.

If you want details on a specific duty location (and whether you'd want a car there) ask in the Navy thread.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
If you don't have a car you really shouldn't have much of any bills at all. Bum rides off your buddies and if they ask say you're saving up for a sweet Mustang or a big-rear end truck or something. Be cool and throw them gas every once in a while but don't let people bully you into paying for their mistakes. You will need a cellphone so budget I guess about $90 a month, maybe more if you yap a lot, in every month for that. You probably wont eat every single meal at the DFAC and even if you do you'll want snacks and such in your room. Internet varies a lot depending on where you are and those assholes love to force bundles with TV and phone so $50-$100 there. Beyond that you will, or at least really should, go out and have fun sometimes. It's ok to spend money but MAKE A PERSONAL BUDGET EVERY MONTH! This will be easy, you aren't some hourly retail worker making between this and that every month. You know to the dollar what you will make month to month. Budget X for bills, Y for loving around, and Z for savings. Don't go ever Y. Don't be scared to say no when people try and make you do dumb poo poo with them.

Emergencies happen and so do surprise bills and pay problems. DFAS accidentally paid you only $1.50 this month and it wont be fixed until next month at the earliest. You need to be able to survive this. Your dumbass lost part of your dress uniform doing something stupid and you need to buy a new one and pay for alterations. This is why you need to build an oh poo poo fund of a couple hundred to a thousand dollars. poo poo happens.

You'll see your friends fuckup. Buddies of yours in the barracks who make the same as you will come up a week after payday begging for money to turn their cellphone back on. They wont be able to go get wings with you because their car insurance, payment, and gas is about a thousand dollars every month. Don't be them.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Christ learn how to drive and get a shitbox car.

Can't explain how much everyone hates that barracks rat who can't drive anywhere, and bums rides all day to medical, work, home, the store. Unless you are a hot female, all your friends will hate you and you will be bored. And possibly starve.
Navy bases are big, spread out, and in the middle of nowhere. Get a crappy car.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Laranzu posted:

Christ learn how to drive and get a shitbox car.

Can't explain how much everyone hates that barracks rat who can't drive anywhere, and bums rides all day to medical, work, home, the store. Unless you are a hot female, all your friends will hate you and you will be bored. And possibly starve.
Navy bases are big, spread out, and in the middle of nowhere. Get a crappy car.
Yeah, you can get a crappy old car for cheap ($2-4k will buy a driveable car) and sell it later for pretty much what you paid for it. Learn to work on it, and you'll have one more valuable life skill. (Take advantage of the base auto hobby shop!)

This is doubly true if you end up somewhere like Sigonella or Guam.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

How long is an Enlisted expected to go without becoming an alcoholic? Not rules or regulations wise, just 'this is when they crack down and finally drink their problems away' wise.

Looking through GiP, it doesn't seem to be a long time.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

How long is an Enlisted expected to go without becoming an alcoholic? Not rules or regulations wise, just 'this is when they crack down and finally drink their problems away' wise.

I got to my first unit when I was 18, around mid November. I had what would be considered a drinking problem to the outside world before valentine's day.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Vasudus posted:

I got to my first unit when I was 18, around mid November. I had what would be considered a drinking problem to the outside world before valentine's day.

Getting sent overseas accelerates this, or at least being in Korea does.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I was by any reasonable standard a severe alcoholic before enlisting and the service largely dried me out.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

My first day at my first unit was a Friday. My "welcome to the barracks" event was my squad leader handing me a can of Steel Reserve, and instructing me on how to properly shotgun said beverage.

I was 18.

Alcoholism was not very far away.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I made it a couple years. I guess that's a considered a long time in comparison.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

KittyEmpress posted:

Left for basic training as an 18 year-old, got to my first duty station (Andersen AFB, Guam) at 19, bought a handle of Jack Daniels that same night.

So ya pretty quick.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

In the New Navy they will actively seek out underage drinkers, especially in the barracks. If you want to stay off restriction I suggest not drinking anywhere that's not safe. The barracks are not safe.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

KittyEmpress posted:

I got drunk for the first time at 17 a couple weeks after getting to my unit. Drinking was definitely a huge part of life in the barracks but it was mostly kept to the weekends outside of a few dudes who were already hardcore alcoholics. For myself and my close friends this is how it stayed until a few years later when we got back from our first deployment and said gently caress it and began drinking everyday as soon as we were released.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
What is the reimbursement per pound for a DITY/ PPM?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

http://ditymovecalculator.org/dity-move-calculator/

I can't guarantee the accuracy, but I just entered in roughly what I did on my last DITY move and it was within about $50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

Godholio posted:

http://ditymovecalculator.org/dity-move-calculator/

I can't guarantee the accuracy, but I just entered in roughly what I did on my last DITY move and it was within about $50.

Aww poo poo that's awesome. I tried this link yesterday and it wouldn't work. Right about what I was guessing.

• Locked thread