Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

univbee posted:

Unfortunately, no. International shipping on the U.S. side has gone completely insane and due to their physical dimensions it's impossible to ship them cheap. Carrmclean sells bootleg UGCs within Canada but they're even more cheaply made and don't have plastic on the front to hold case art.

Dang, the whole reason I'd get the cases is to put in case art!

Hmm I might just have to bite the bullet and pay. I guess I'll see. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Seconding Sunsoft, but I've also got a soft spot for David Wise/RARE. Capcom and Konami have nostalgia going for them, but if you never played Journey to Silius and just heard the music itself, you'd be floored to find out it was an NES game.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I managed to snag a 32" Sony WEGA Trinitron on Craiglist for $20! I know this thread generally poo poos emulation, but if this TV has a DVI input, would there be a largely appreciable difference between an emulator outputting to a CRT via DVI over an actual console? I'm thinking especially of MAME. I like collecting old consoles, but arcade cabinets are a whole other thing.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Running emulators via my fat xboxen out to my CRTs via component/composite looks pretty cool. DVI is probably going to make everything sharper or cleaner, but I imagine it being a trinitron, you're going to be looking at 480p or 1080i, right?

Now, emulators via HDMI out to my LED TV... pixels so sharp I'm in danger of cutting my eyes on them. :v:

e. and I've said it before but Neo Geo emulation with a nice scanline setting output via HDMI to a giant TV == incredibly awesome. Yes, yes, there's a lot to be said for using real hardware, but that poo poo looks good.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Imagined posted:

I managed to snag a 32" Sony WEGA Trinitron on Craiglist for $20! I know this thread generally poo poos emulation, but if this TV has a DVI input, would there be a largely appreciable difference between an emulator outputting to a CRT via DVI over an actual console? I'm thinking especially of MAME. I like collecting old consoles, but arcade cabinets are a whole other thing.

It'll look fine. You do still run into lag issues as if you were using an LCD since you have the conversion from digital to analog happening in the display.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

The NES-sounding music at the beginning isn't from Mother 1 or something, is it? That's just so bad-rear end. :allears:

Wait, are you saying the linked video is the source of the 8bit intro to Pokey Means Business? Or are you just posting that song? I'd definitely like to know where that part comes from, too, if anywhere.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Huh, so I download a couple covers off thecoverproject.net, just to see what kind of quality people are uploading.

Do all of them have this horrible jaggy logo on them?

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
I know I've seen covers on that site that have much better looking logos, but it's gonna vary a lot depending on who made the cover. I just bought a bunch of UGCs to throw most of my older carts in and was pretty annoyed with the quality of the covers on The Cover Project. I wasn't looking to have covers that mimicked the originals so much so I just started working on my own:

(This is an older version that had some spacing and size issues that have since been fixed. Also I really need a wide format printer so I can actually print the covers full-size.)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah I was gonna say, if I do end up getting a batch of UGCs I'm definitely going to make my own covers. But I'm a graphic designer, so I'd find it lots of fun!

If anyone is using a cover off that site with a horrible logo on it and want me to fit it, let me know. I came up with this after like 3 seconds of Googling:

I'm really anal about using high-rez sources though, maybe no one else has ever noticed.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Oh hey, I'm a graphic designer too! Although I live in an area where graphic design jobs are pretty rare, so this whole cover project is what I'm using to at least keep myself busy. I've pretty much decided to do entirely original covers instead of using any already available assets because it's pretty much impossible to find anything that's high enough in resolution for print.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Chip Cheezum posted:

Oh hey, I'm a graphic designer too! Although I live in an area where graphic design jobs are pretty rare

Well I may know why the jobs are rare for you...

That's the best mushroom and turnip design you could come up with? The mushroom looks like something one of my pothead friends would doodle in the margins of their textbook in high school. Also that's incredibly yellow and red... when I think Mario, I think overpoweringly yellow with red accents.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

I'll take that criticism to heart even though it probably could have been phrased in a way that made you sound less like an rear end in a top hat.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Yea, I realized after I posted it that I came off a bit like a dick... sorry about that! Still love the LPs.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

zenintrude posted:

Yea, I realized after I posted it that I came off a bit like a dick... sorry about that! Still love the LPs.

And to be fair, it's not like Mario has never had yellow box art before

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Chip Cheezum posted:

I'll take that criticism to heart even though it probably could have been phrased in a way that made you sound less like an rear end in a top hat.

Oh god I love your avatar. That VR mission :argh:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Chip Cheezum posted:

I know I've seen covers on that site that have much better looking logos, but it's gonna vary a lot depending on who made the cover. I just bought a bunch of UGCs to throw most of my older carts in and was pretty annoyed with the quality of the covers on The Cover Project. I wasn't looking to have covers that mimicked the originals so much so I just started working on my own:

(This is an older version that had some spacing and size issues that have since been fixed. Also I really need a wide format printer so I can actually print the covers full-size.)

Not saying this just because someone was ripping on it, but I liked it. Represents the four games well and it's minimal without being stupid minimal. I'd use the Super Nintendo logo that triplexpac provided and even though you were probably just doing this as a hobby, trust me, it's way more satisfying to goto a decent printer shop and get it printed in high quality. You'll just feel better about yourself every time you look at it and it's a few bucks you might have wasted on a coffee or something. As for the yellow, I think of black when it comes to Super Mario Bros., blue when it comes to Super Mario Bros. 2 and yellow when I think of Super Mario Bros. 3 so unless you went with something wildly different, going with one of the designs is fine. I would have probably went with a more first generation NES box cover design like how the Mario/Duck Hunt boxes looked but hey I'm not the artist. Yellow is fine by me!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I only get the original box art for my UGCs. It's the only way to create the authentic video rental store look when you have rows upon rows of games. The only proper retro gaming room is one that also LOOKS like the proper time period. :colbert:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I think of black when it comes to Super Mario Bros., blue when it comes to Super Mario Bros. 2 and yellow when I think of Super Mario Bros. 3

So it's not just me!

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Heran Bago posted:

Just remembered this. I only discovered it recently but Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventures has some good SNES
music. Short track but it's just like 'you have a big ol' adventure ahead of you on SNES platform.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2aF1FZRBCA

Wow this game looks fun as poo poo, why wasn't it released in the US?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Stanos posted:

Sonic the hedgehog 2 with a hammer.......

Analogue Kid
Jan 4, 2013

DeathBySpoon posted:

Wait, are you saying the linked video is the source of the 8bit intro to Pokey Means Business? Or are you just posting that song? I'd definitely like to know where that part comes from, too, if anywhere.

Just posting. Didn't need to quote a video only two posts above

The OST to Earthbound took me by surprise completely, of all of the good things I hear about it the OST is rarely one of them. The home theme, twoson, hospital, winters, onett and most of the battle themes are great.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

flyboi posted:

Not to brag or anything but krikzz is going to use that pulseline N8 label that one of you guys vectorized and then I converted into a masked psd for the new everdrive N8 case :smug:

It is? that's awesome :neckbeard: (it was me) Keep me posted when the new case comes out. (Think I can get a free everdrive out of it? :P)

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 23, 2013

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Praseodymi posted:

So it's most likely dirty games? Awesome, trip report by Thursday.

Me again, I've cleaned the contacts, but all I'm getting are weird scanning images, but they are different for different carts. Imagine these flashing and moving around the screen.

Because it does the same broken image every time I put a cart in I feel like it might be the TV, so I'm trying to get a chance to test it on another one to see if it acts the same. In the mean time, any ideas on what's causing it anyone?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Praseodymi posted:

Me again, I've cleaned the contacts, but all I'm getting are weird scanning images, but they are different for different carts. Imagine these flashing and moving around the screen.

Because it does the same broken image every time I put a cart in I feel like it might be the TV, so I'm trying to get a chance to test it on another one to see if it acts the same. In the mean time, any ideas on what's causing it anyone?

How are you connecting to the tv? I know the RF adapter for my NES has to be just right or it doesn't send video to the tv right.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

juliuspringle posted:

How are you connecting to the tv? I know the RF adapter for my NES has to be just right or it doesn't send video to the tv right.

Composite video, through a scart adapter. The RF adapter is lost to the mists of time, unfortunately.

EDIT: Did it direct into the composite ports on the TV, same thing. Though I know the adapter works anyway as I use it with my PS2.

Praseodymi fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 23, 2013

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Imagined posted:

It'll look blurry as poo poo. There's a huge difference between a progressive scan CRT television and a CRT VGA monitor. If you want to run emu on a CRT, use a CRT computer monitor.

Arcade monitors may have been low res, but they had a sharp picture. If you had the real hardware, the arcade boards will look much better and sharper supergun-ed out to a SD CRT via S-Vid or component than emu running on your laptop output to a 480p TV.

You could try out 720p and 1080i modes, but the TV will letterbox those resolutions to display them.

A CRT computer monitor will be much sharper and look more accurate with the proper emu settings.

For reference, I have a 36" HD Wega CRT and have already gone down this road.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master
Let's not forget Rob Hubbard. Another composer who got his start on the C64 and was responsible for a lot of awesome tracks in early EA games. Skate or Die 2 is by and far my fav but he's the guy behind all the awesome tracks in the Road Rash series and that fantastic opener in the first Madden game on the Genesis. You gotta love the use of the DPCM channel to make heavy guitars happen in an NES game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8TmIxHSBcU

In fact that seems to be kind of his trademark during this era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5EdjcJuiQQ

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Stanos posted:

I don't know, it's fun as poo poo.

Baldrash posted:

But yeah, the Sega CD is a good idea in general, especially if you already own a Genesis. The 32x, though, is kind of a waste. (Watch, now someone will be all :eng101: on the 32x and make me look stupid.)

I love the 32X and I was one of the first ROM hackers to try taking the games apart. The color and pallet format is straight up lifted from the SNES's RGB555. The new audio format is raw wav playback. In the official SDK floating around both of these are promoted as Sega's own new format.

During the early success of the Genesis the regional three branches of Sega got together and wondered what they should do with the add-on slot for the system. In Sega's infinite business savvy they decided to each make their own addon and reconvene. Sega of Japan's Sega CD was a powerhouse but overpriced. Sega of America's 32X had two beefy processors years before multiple processors was a thing and was completely impossible to program for reliably. Sega of Europe's addon let you play old 8-bit Sega games on your system and was actually a small success. Before the 32X (CD too?) even hit the market Sega of Japan shot themselves in the foot and announced their next system, the Saturn, and took over all hardware operations from then on.

Nintendo watched all this and said "gently caress that" to using addons or CDs for the foreseeable future. Phillips and Sony, all miffed that their CD addon tech was dropped by Nintendo so far in development, went off to make their own systems. Phillips still had the rights to Nintendo's IP and boy did they gently caress that up.

The whole Sega 32X addon thing and library is hilariously terrible and there is no excuse for it. The monster of a tower it assembles is a powerful symbol for what it did to gaming.
Its flagship Sonic game is port of a rejected Genesis game that doesn't have Sonic in it and loops were cut during development.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/22/more-atari-ip-auction-winners-announced-stardock-plans-star-con/

Star Control and MOO (and Total Annihilation!) sequels are coming. Not sure how Stardock is gonna do with the Starcon IP, but Wargaming doing a MOO game will probably be awesome.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Baldrash posted:

There's also the Working Designs games (Vay, Popful Mail, the two Lunar games.) Vay is pretty optional, but the other three are legit good games aside from their eBay price tags. The Sega CD also has the best versions of NBA Jam and NHL '94 for sports fans, as well as having the best-sounding versions of several games, including Flashback, Final Fight (with Guy AND Cody!), and the Ecco titles. Sonic CD is fun, and I'm convinced everyone should own a couple of the bad FMV games like Double Switch and Night Trap for historical purposes. There's also good FMV games, like Road Avenger and Time Gal. Even the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers game is pretty playable. And of course, Snatcher. I know several other Sega CD games have a decent number of fans, but my personal collection isn't that big, so I can't speak on them authoritatively.

But yeah, the Sega CD is a good idea in general, especially if you already own a Genesis. The 32x, though, is kind of a waste. (Watch, now someone will be all :eng101: on the 32x and make me look stupid.)

drat it, I had no desire for a Sega CD and now all the talk about it makes me want one. I'll just check how much they're going for on Amazon...

I'm cured! :dance:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Quiet Feet posted:

drat it, I had no desire for a Sega CD and now all the talk about it makes me want one. I'll just check how much they're going for on Amazon...

Well that's not very :retrogames: !

:haw:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Stanos posted:

For whatever reason Konami has always been really hesitant to bring Twinbee in any form to the US. I think the only Twinbee game we ever got was the first sequel which was retitled to Stinger.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Quiet Feet posted:

Now is a great time to order a full Genesis+CD+32X bundle on eBay. It just happens to be coincidence that one of the ones up is mine of course. :o:

Heran Bago posted:

The whole Sega 32X addon thing and library is hilariously terrible and there is no excuse for it. The monster of a tower it assembles is a powerful symbol for what it did to gaming.
Its flagship Sonic game is port of a rejected Genesis game that doesn't have Sonic in it and loops were cut during development.

Hey at least the games that required 32X and CD at once had actual full screen full color FMV instead of half frame with 64 colors at once. :v:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

Consider a 32X!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
To add to the Sega CD discussion, Eternal Champions on it was the best version, Earthworm Jim: Special Edition had more levels and Shining Force CD I beat over a weekend at my sister's and nearly fried her Genesis/CD doing it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
OK so I've made good progress on acquiring at least one version of every single good exclusive Nintendo console game ever(Megaman and megaman X collections are on the PS2, and castlvania is on playstation portable).

All in all it's 300+ games in total, not too shabby

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 23, 2013

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

For whatever reason Konami has always been really hesitant to bring Twinbee in any form to the US. I think the only Twinbee game we ever got was the first sequel which was retitled to Stinger.

Probably because it was seen as "for girls" back when a lot of video game execs in the US were toy industry veterans who still saw their products in such strict black-and-white terms.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

OK so I've made good progress on acquiring at least one version of every single good exclusive Nintendo console game ever(Megaman and megaman X collections are on the PS2, and castlvania is on playstation portable).

All in all it's 300+ games in total, not too shabby

Spiritual Warfare was also on the SEGA. Since you won't be needing that NES copy you can just pass it this way.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

juliuspringle posted:

Spiritual Warfare was also on the SEGA. Since you won't be needing that NES copy you can just pass it this way.

Never, my mother forbade me from ever getting Zelda so I had to settle for SW. I've had that game since I was 6 aggravated the hell out of me, treated me like poo poo, but I will never let it go I'm too attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

Never, my mother forbade me from ever getting Zelda so I had to settle for SW. I've had that game since I was 6 aggravated the hell out of me, treated me like poo poo, but I will never let it go I'm too attached.

Settle hell, that game is great. I was raised going to church and stuff so I can usually nail the religious trivia and get extra souls.

• Locked thread