Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Rap posted:

I think in Denver the Post shreds local TV completely. Beats them to stories and does them better, to the point that just yesterday a reporter for the Denver Post-owned Boulder Daily Camera caught a TV news channel stealing Daily Camera photos without credit because the TV news site was so far behind the story.

I haven't lived in Denver for quite some time, but the Post is my go-to site for Broncos news over anything else. Although I enjoyed Paige's articles for what they were when he was a Post only writer (especially once Schefter showed up as his counterpart, although that couldn't last), so my opinion is suspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

jackyl posted:

I haven't lived in Denver for quite some time, but the Post is my go-to site for Broncos news over anything else. Although I enjoyed Paige's articles for what they were when he was a Post only writer (especially once Schefter showed up as his counterpart, although that couldn't last), so my opinion is suspect.

I read the observer every now and then and I'm not even american. I find it funny they have "religion" as one of the topics for their news site.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Here's Bleacher Report and Yahoo! Sports guy Adam Waksman's (@AdamWaksman) smear piece on Palestinian-American NY Jet Oday Aboushi. Waksman essentially calls Aboushi anti-Semitic for speaking at a Palestinian society conference and having the gall to tweet about Israeli occupation.

My favorite part:

quote:

As one last detail, Kaufman comments that Aboushi has been associated with IR (Islamic Relief), an organization that is believed to serve as a front for Hamas and Al-Qaeda. However, as a piece of fact-checking, it is important to note that IR is a legitimate charity, while IRRO (International Islamic Relief Organization) is the one that is believed to be a front for terrorism. Since it is not clear at this moment whether the reporter got the acronyms mixed up or the event itself confused, this last bit should be taken with a definite grain of salt until further evidence is available.

"Oday supports charities connected to Al-Qaida. Actually, that's another charity, but still" :ughh:

The lone source for Waksman's article? An even more disgusting piece from extreme right-wing rag FrontPageMag, written by Joe Kaufman, the same man who advocated nuking of Muslim countries after 9-11

Since Kaufman isn't a sports writer, or any sort of reasonable journalist, I won't get into how lovely and racist his piece on Aboushi is, but some young nitwit from Yahoo!/Bleacher apparently thought it was enlightening and important enough to repackage and share.

The Nation's Dave Zirin (@edgeofsports) has already written a good response to Waksman's article: http://www.thenation.com/blog/175216/slander-ny-jet-oday-aboushi#axzz2YlbiTCgK

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

quote:

A stunning tweet just came across the wires from Major League Baseball’s recently hired “new media coordinator” Jonathan Mael. It reads, “The @nyjets are a disgrace of an organization. The Patriots have Aaron Hernandez, the Jets have Oday Aboushi.” (Mael has since deleted his account, making him a rather ineffectual “new media coordinator”.)

Ahahahaha. gently caress You Jonathan Mael.

I mean, technically he's right about the Jets being a disgrace of an organization but not for that idiotic, non-existent reason.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 11, 2013

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
That article's first two sentences, for those wondering just how intellectual the article is going to be:

quote:

Do NFL players have freedom of speech?

It is an interesting question.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Rap posted:

That article's first two sentences, for those wondering just how intellectual the article is going to be:

You can even tell before that:

quote:

This article was created on the Yahoo! Contributor Network, where users like you are published on Yahoo! every day.

Published. Every. Day.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Rap posted:

Is that because of what the answer should be, or what the answer is?

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Yes hm good question, I suppose it comes down to if you would consider football players to be "people"... I shall have to think on this

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
That entire article is disgusting.

Badfinger posted:

Is that because of what the answer should be, or what the answer is?

They have the right, that's actually not a tough question. Is the right sometimes violated, yes, but that doesn't mean they "don't have it" and confusing those two things is not a good sign for Adam Waksman's think parts

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I just went to Waksman's article again and it has been taken down by Yahoo. I am not very computer literate so I don't know what 'caches' and stuff are but if someone wants to do that thing and quote it here

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Dammit I knew I should've grabbed a screenshot.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Could Oday Aboushi Jeopardize His NFL Career with Anti-Israel Activism?
Yahoo! Contributor Network
By Adam Waksman | Yahoo! Contributor Network – 13 hours ago

Email
Share79

COMMENTARY | Do NFL players have freedom of speech?

It is an interesting question. Legally they do; they cannot be jailed for what they say. But as part of the NFL, they are employees of a private organization. Beyond that, they are role models receiving media coverage, and their words carry more weight than those of most other people.

New York Jets' backup rookie offensive tackle Oday Aboushi is starting his share of controversy right off the bat, not even waiting for his first NFL snap. As reported by Joe kaufman of FrontPageMag.com, Aboushi has been accused of playing an increasing role in anti-Israel and anti-Semitic activism. It is vital for the Jets and the NFL to discover precisely how accurate these reports are and what they signify (if anything) about Aboushi's future.

The Power of Words

If Aboushi believes he can simply state his own opinion quietly to the winds, he is sorely mistaken. He is currently wearing a New York Jets uniform and represents (like it or not) the NFL. We have seen this same issue crop up in all areas of culture and politics. While freedom of speech allows for all kinds of derogatory speech, including anti-gay, anti-black, anti-immigrant, sexist and anti-Semitic, when NFL players start saying these things on a national or international scale, it becomes a very big deal.

And rightly so.

Does the NFL want its image associated with prejudice, violence or fundamentalism on any level? Do NFL teams want massive disruption in their locker rooms because a player has let politics become bigger than the team? The answer is a resounding no. This is exactly what Aboushi needs to not do and exactly what the Jets need to make sure can never happen. The organization need to be 100% sure that either these reports are fallacious or that Aboushi will be turning over a new leaf, because from both a football perspective and a broader perspective, the type of behavior being reported could be disastrous.

Who Is Oday Aboushi?

Oday Aboushi by all accounts should be a success story, and an inspirational one, if he can handle himself in a reasonable fashion. He was drafted in the fifth round of the 2013 NFL draft and looks like he has the ability to earn a roster spot as a backup offensive tackle. Down the road, he could develop into a quality starter.

As a Palestinian-American in a major professional sport, Aboushi could become the most well-known positive Palestinian face in America. He has the opportunity to be a major role model, and if he were to call for peace in Israel (or simply say nothing), that would mean something.

Instead, Aboushi has reportedly taken the opposite approach, supporting an anti-Israel organization. As Kaufman writes, "Lest anyone believe this was an honest misunderstanding on Aboushi's part, Aboushi solidified his extreme anti-Israelism late last month when he was a featured speaker at a conference run by an organization which denies Israel's existence and associates with those involved in violence against her citizens."

Kaufman is referring to the Al-Bireh Palestine Society, where Aboushi was recently a speaker. Aboushi has also reportedly gotten into trouble for inflammatory comments on social media (also via Kaufman). I note that as this story is early in its development, everything should be taken with somewhat of a grain of salt. While Aboushi's Twitter account does confirm that he attended the conference, and while his activism is a well-known situation, we do not currently have access to exactly what he said at the conference.

It is important to realize that FrontPageMag.com is an openly political news source and thus should not be viewed as an entirely objective source of information. In the end, nothing in the Kaufman piece is sufficient proof of much except for activism of a general sort. Nevertheless, this is the NFL, and the Jets and the league should not take unnecessary risks. The important thing is that the Jets organization do their due-diligence and find out every shred of information about this subject.

A Role Model (For Better or Worse)

The real issue here, and the reason that the Jets might in the end have to cut ties with Aboushi if the reports are accurate, is that Aboushi truly is a role model in New York and around the country. As Linda Sarsour of the Arab-American Association of New York said (via CBSLocal.com), "[Aboushi is] a role model for young Arab-American and Muslim people who are trying to find their roles in the community... I can't remember the last time post-9/11 that I've felt this proud and so triumphant and victorious as when Oday was drafted by the New York Jets."

The metaphorical megaphone of the NFL projects loudly across the world. Any opinion, any opinion, gains awareness when loudly advocated by a well-known NFL player. The danger here will come in full if it turns out that the reports are true and that Aboushi knows what he is doing. If he chooses to make politics and anti-Semitism his calling card, it will negatively affect the Jets, the NFL and all the kids who look up to Aboushi as a role model.

Connecting the Dots

As one last detail, Kaufman comments that Aboushi has been associated with IR (Islamic Relief), an organization that is believed to serve as a front for Hamas and Al-Qaeda. However, as a piece of fact-checking, it is important to note that IR is a legitimate charity, while IRRO (International Islamic Relief Organization) is the one that is believed to be a front for terrorism. Since it is not clear at this moment whether the reporter got the acronyms mixed up or the event itself confused, this last bit should be taken with a definite grain of salt until further evidence is available.

Whatever the case is, Aboushi will no doubt have ample opportunity this summer to decide who he wants to be and how he wants to be heard. If he decides he wants to be an advocate for peace, it is by no means too late for that. If he decides he wants to make politics and controversy his calling card in the NFL, then that should become plainly visible in the coming months.

At the moment, this is a story the Jets organization should be thinking about. Even if only from a football standpoint, they need to find out where Aboushi stands and whether or not he can be a cohesive piece of the organization. This is not simply a fun story to poke at and laugh about (like headbands, tattoos, running with bulls, dance parties, etc.). This is a potential disaster that needs to be dealt with before it becomes anything real.

Adam Waksman is a Yahoo! contributor in sports. He also covers the New York Jets for Bleacher Report, where he is a Featured Columnist and award-winning blogger.

You can follow Adam on Twitter here.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Honestly what is most irritating about Waksman's article is how he couches it in very guarded language and mentions that FrontPageMag is not objective, but still parrots everything they say on Aboushi. He isn't critical of Kaufman at all, and basically reprints his poo poo with the "Muslim Extremist" language taken out, and then plays the objective observer with little warning statements like

quote:

It is important to realize that FrontPageMag.com is an openly political news source and thus should not be viewed as an entirely objective source of information. In the end, nothing in the Kaufman piece is sufficient proof of much except for activism of a general sort.

Why even write the article then, Adam? Why?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Pron on VHS posted:

Honestly what is most irritating about Waksman's article is how he couches it in very guarded language and mentions that FrontPageMag is not objective, but still parrots everything they say on Aboushi. He isn't critical of Kaufman at all, and basically reprints his poo poo with the "Muslim Extremist" language taken out, and then plays the objective observer with little warning statements like

He's just asking questions?!

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....
He is just using it to get a guest spot on Fox News so he can launch his career. Hatred and Ignorance can make you a lot of money in this country if you are loud enough.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I'm actually impressed, most of the Yahoo comments are kind of good.

quote:

Eman

So the article indicates that he's an anti-semite, but doesn't include anything to support that...."journalism" at its finest

john

It is the right of every American to hold any stupid opinion he wants;

Ronnie James Dio

Anti-Israel does NOT equal anti-semitism. Much as some would like us to believe otherwise.

C Lloyd

As long as he is not white. It is politically correct for him to say anything he wants. It is only whites that are forbidden from having civil rights. [OK this one is poo poo]

John

This is an outrageous, irresponsible, utterly shabby article. Waksman does not even quote anything from Aboushi. Instead, he relies entirely on a crazy, far-right website. (That's exactly what it is; this is rather polite: "FrontPageMag is an openly political news source and thus should not be... More

Carlos Villarreal

If he's done something anti-Semitic than publish it. If the Al-Bireh Palestine Society is anti-Semitic than tell us how. Otherwise this is just a pile of libelous nonsense. Criticizing Israel (something done by plenty of Jewish Israelis among others) is not inherently anti-Semitic and the idea... More

Pron on VHS posted:

That's extremely irresponsible and is basically a way to get an article that he loves more visibility. Which is pretty clearly what he's doing.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

"Yeah I just completely poo poo over some guy I don't even know, so what? I'm busy naming desserts now."

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
"considering both sides"

Also the shitstain MLB social media guy @jdmael who compared Aboushi's Palestinian activism to Hernandez's murders is back on Twitter after taking his account down for several hours.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Just tweeted at him. Maybe we can get some good ol fashioned goony twitter stuff going on. Last thing I remember was Fiz and Jimmy Clausen and that owned.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rap posted:

I'm actually impressed, most of the Yahoo comments are kind of good.

Yahoo comments are just focused on hating something, anything

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
And if you were wondering if the MLB guy's apology on Twitter was sincere, he calls him Obay (it's Oday)

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I hope he develops into a Pro Bowler and keeps up his activism just to piss off the subset of Jets fans who are also dumbshit racists

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Rap posted:

That entire article is disgusting.

They have the right, that's actually not a tough question. Is the right sometimes violated, yes, but that doesn't mean they "don't have it" and confusing those two things is not a good sign for Adam Waksman's think parts

Of course they have the right. Just reading those first two sentences without context could suggest a lot of things though. For example, if the article was written by Patrick Hruby and it started with those sentences I would assume the article's about gross censorship on the part of the league. It doesn't ask if they have the right, it asks if they do which can go in a completely different direction.

The question's academic though, because of lovely people writing lovely things.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Elotana posted:

I hope he develops into a Pro Bowler and keeps up his activism just to piss off the subset of Jets fans who are also dumbshit racists

It's New York/NJ. Home of Peter King, Christine Quinn, Michael Bloomberg, Anthony Weiner, Chuck Schumer, etc., I'm sure Aboushi has become very used to anti-Arab/Muslim hate since being drafted

VVV I was referring to his support of NYPD surveillance of Muslim groups in NYC but you're right, he did defend the Ground Zero Mosque plans. Sorry to derail this thread into a very contentious topic guys

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 12, 2013

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Bloomberg's an rear end in a top hat for other reasons but he's not really in that group

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hey get ready for some serious hand wringing from some pathetic shitheads over the next few days thanks to Roddy:

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

Kalli posted:

Hey get ready for some serious hand wringing from some pathetic shitheads over the next few days thanks to Roddy:

Roddy White does need to shut the gently caress up, in fairness.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This could be interesting. Nate Silver is moving to ESPN.

quote:

@fivethirtyeight
Very excited to announce that FiveThirtyEight will be moving to @ESPN.

538 will still provide plenty of elections coverage at ESPN. There will be more sports than before, but the site will have a broad focus.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Peter King's site design is horrible (in my opinion)

http://mmqb.si.com/

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh my god that loving headline

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/07/20/manti-teo-junior-seau/

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

My God it's all puff pieces

midwat
May 6, 2007

Deadspin interviews Peter King: http://deadspin.com/the-deferential-spirit-how-peter-king-became-the-nfls-867071583

Revealed:

- Peter King is churlish about being interviewed by Deadspin

- This sums up King in a nutshell, I think:

PK posted:

"But the whole thing about today's day and time, especially with a team like the Patriots, there's a certain element of CIA to the Patriots. There always has been under Belichick, there always will be."

He leverages his unparalleled access to the league to deliver a statement any casual fan could come up with.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
If that quote ended with a story about how the most recent hotel King was staying at didn't have the pillow mint brand he prefers so he called a manager to call their attention to this and she was polite, said she would look into it but had a little bit of a tone, then it would be a perfect summation of Peter King.

midwat
May 6, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

If that quote ended with a story about how the most recent hotel King was staying at didn't have the pillow mint brand he prefers so he called a manager to call their attention to this and she was polite, said she would look into it but had a little bit of a tone, then it would be a perfect summation of Peter King.

"Hire better people, Indianapolis Marriott. This totally deserves space in a column ostensibly about football."

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Why would a man with a website built in his own likeness approve a headshot for his bio that horrendous?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Badfinger posted:

Why would a man with a website built in his own likeness approve a headshot for his bio that horrendous?

A fleeting, ephemeral moment of self-awareness?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
That site design is poo poo and i'm not reading a loving word on that website

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Declan MacManus posted:

My God it's all puff pieces

I mean, did you really expect anything different

I do like Andrew Brandt though, hearing a dude speak frankly about his time as both an agent and a front office exec is really interesting to me. If he puts up regular columns for King I'll probably begrudgingly visit the site to read them.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
MMQB's problem is not the writing talent; Vrentas is great and Bedard has his moments although like most of the Patriots writers for the last 5-8 years he's an enormous Belichick sycophant. Though that's not his fault, nobody else actually survives on that beat because the Patriots dole out morsels of info for positive coverage and freeze out anyone who is neutral to negative, which they can do because they say nothing publicly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

what

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/07/23/tom-brady-3q/

quote:

PETER KING: What’s your reaction to Aaron Hernandez’s being arrested and cut from the team, and how will his absence affect your offense?

TOM BRADY: I’ve seen a lot of things over 13 years, and what I have learned is that mental toughness and putting aside personal agendas for what’s in the best interest of the team matters most. My job is to play quarterback, and I’m going to do that the best way I know how, because I owe that to my teammates regardless of who is out there on the field with me. I have moved on. I’m focusing on the great teammates I have who are committed to helping us win games. The only thing I care about is winning. Nothing is going to ever get in the way of that goal. I’m just excited to report to camp and see what we can accomplish as a team. The fate of our season will be determined by the players in our locker room—nothing else.

KING: You turn 36 in August. Five years ago you said you wanted to play until you were 40. Now?

BRADY: The way I feel now, it’s beyond 40. I have a lot of goals, and I am in this for the long haul. I don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel. Whether the team wants me, or whether something [like an injury] happens tomorrow to stop me from playing, that remains to be seen. But my training, my nutrition, the bodywork I do—I can’t see not playing at any time in the near future. There’s nothing I love to do more. Whether the New England Patriots want me, or anyone wants me, I know I want to play for quite a while.

KING: You’re unusually friendly with Peyton Manning. Will you still be friends when you’re 70?

BRADY: Yeah, I hope so. We’re pretty good friends. I like that. It’s important to me. Peyton has two brothers he’s really close to; I don’t have a brother. We’re competitors on the field, but there’s no reason we can’t be good friends off it. There’s not many people who understand what our jobs are really like, on and off the field. Over the years, I’ve taken my cues on how to act as a player and a leader from lots of guys I respect around the league. Peyton’s one of those. He always knows how to act, what to say, how to represent the game right way. That’s how I want to be.

• Locked thread