Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
How do the cobalt sound? More like steel or just a different sound altogether?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've never played steel, but the Cobalts are really loving bright and midrangey and metallic. Imagine Messhugah as a guitar string. But without the negative connotations

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Yeah so pretty much steel but slightly different. I used to use the Marcus miller 5 string set but tossed out the high string for when I played bass for a death metal band in C standard and they were amazing for drop tuning, but the D'adarrio standard gauge steel set sounded like rear end in concert pitch. Those are pretty much my only forays into different materials though, I may try the cobalts or those cryo strings if I'm feeling bored this weekend.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Is there a good way to cut springs? the springs holding up the bridge pickup on my jag are too long and make it just bounce back and forth at heavy angles

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
http://www.amazon.com/home-improvement/dp/B006H8QJB8

Or do you mean like where to cut them?

Edit: I seriously use those things to cut 8mm-10mm bolts at work instead of using a grinder.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 20, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
yeah like at what angle and if anyone had any tips. I'm pretty sure I could cut these things with like my fingernails. I don't a (really badass) tool or anything.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Oh I'd just cut the spring then crimp the last turn and solder it so it'll double up like how they always are at the end.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

muike posted:

I've never played steel, but the Cobalts are really loving bright and midrangey and metallic. Imagine Messhugah as a guitar string. But without the negative connotations

This is completely accurate. They're really tough, grindy, mean strings. The feel is rough and grippy, the sound is cutting and aggressive. Cobalts are so unique that I think everyone should try a set once just to test them out. Definitely the tech/prof metal dudes.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Stainless strings wear frets, right? Do Cobalts wear frets?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah but so far it hasn't been that much of an issue for me. Besides the guitar I use them on really needs an excuse for some new frets at some point

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Well it's official no stock for the Viper-330FM in the UK for the next several months. Considering I'm trying to downtune to ADGCFA Would I be better buying a Viper-256 for £300, Epiphone G-400 pro for £260 or an Ibanez RG8 for £350 and tuning it to EADGCFAd?

I'm leaning towards the G-400 pro and saving the cash for a new set of pups OR a professional setup but the glued neck has me worried. Any pickup recommendations are also welcome, mainly looking for a fuzzy or grinding tone as my current guitars handle cleans ok.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 20, 2013

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Kilometers Davis posted:

This is completely accurate. They're really tough, grindy, mean strings. The feel is rough and grippy, the sound is cutting and aggressive. Cobalts are so unique that I think everyone should try a set once just to test them out. Definitely the tech/prof metal dudes.

I tried them ONCE, and only once. I hated everything about them, the sound, the feel, even the way they look. They looked and felt dead right out of the package, then sounded completely the opposite but in a terrible way.

Different strokes and all that, I guess I could understand why metal players would use them I guess.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

The feel is rough and grippy,

Oh man thank you for saving me money because I was so ready to buy some for a soundcheck. I religiously use fastfret on all my guitars and fuckign hate when my strings get all sweaty and sticky. Oh well I'm having a lot of fun with the black winter with a high mid focused EQ so everything's cool.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

muike posted:

Try some coated strings or something. I think there's an entire market for hypoallergenic strings. I like the EB Cobalts too, but they have a really powerful sound of their own that some people just loving hate.

Well I did go out yesterday planning to get some of those colour coated strings by DR, I figure if I'm already paying out the rear end for fancy strings, I may as well have a little fun. However, according to some guitar tech, it turns out whoever was importing them to Japan before has stopped and you can only get them by paying double out the rear end for a special order.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Francostein posted:

Oh man thank you for saving me money because I was so ready to buy some for a soundcheck. I religiously use fastfret on all my guitars and fuckign hate when my strings get all sweaty and sticky. Oh well I'm having a lot of fun with the black winter with a high mid focused EQ so everything's cool.

They're not sticky but they keep a very dry feel. They are very grippy in a sharp roto bass strings way. I can do slides fine but you never get a smooth feeling, it's like the string is scraping/grabbing your finger the entire time. Sounds awful but it really has it's appeal. I have them on my 7 string with a 26.5 scale and they give me a bit more control over wide interval riffs and big stretches that are easily ruined by slipped fingers. It's funny how I use those on the 7 and DR pure blues on all my others. The DR feel buttery smooth and much more loose and wobbly in a good way. Anyway I'm glad I saved you some cash over these.

HollisBrown posted:

I tried them ONCE, and only once. I hated everything about them, the sound, the feel, even the way they look. They looked and felt dead right out of the package, then sounded completely the opposite but in a terrible way.

Different strokes and all that, I guess I could understand why metal players would use them I guess.

Haha see I love that. It's like steel forged in the dungeons of hell. I'm sure they could be used for jazz, blues, whatever but they're obviously made for throwing on your favorite metal guitar and fighting the riffs and junjuns out of it.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Kilometers Davis posted:

Haha see I love that. It's like steel forged in the dungeons of hell. I'm sure they could be used for jazz, blues, whatever but they're obviously made for throwing on your favorite metal guitar and fighting the riffs and junjuns out of it.

Well I also firmly believe that you need to match your strings to your instrument. On a Tele those cobalts are just high end overkill, I use pure nickel on my tele because it keeps the high end just a little in check.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

muike posted:

Yeah but so far it hasn't been that much of an issue for me. Besides the guitar I use them on really needs an excuse for some new frets at some point

Going to go for stainless frets when that happens? I don't understand why more guitars don't use it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Either that or that Evo stuff.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Warcabbit posted:

Going to go for stainless frets when that happens? I don't understand why more guitars don't use it.

As with any guitar innovation, the answer is the same: tradition

That and I think it might be more expensive than nickel

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It tears through traditional fretworking tools like crazy, the material itself isn't really that much more expensive.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

muike posted:

It tears through traditional fretworking tools like crazy, the material itself isn't really that much more expensive.

Correct. I've talked to a few luthiers who do custom work and only those with specific tools/CNC machines will do stainless steel frets. Corksniffers will insist that stainless steel is brighter an nickel and therefore inferior, which I think is silly. It's the same argument against GraphTech String Saver saddles, which are such a better idea than the typical stuff. I have them on my LP Custom and I've never broken a string since installment.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Argali posted:

Correct. I've talked to a few luthiers who do custom work and only those with specific tools/CNC machines will do stainless steel frets. Corksniffers will insist that stainless steel is brighter an nickel and therefore inferior, which I think is silly. It's the same argument against GraphTech String Saver saddles, which are such a better idea than the typical stuff. I have them on my LP Custom and I've never broken a string since installment.

If you think about the physics involved, I think it makes more sense for the frets to effect the overall sound more than the neck wood, body wood, or nut material since every note but open strings vibrate against the frets.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
It's true. Just play a guitar with a zero fret versus one without and you can tell the difference. That was the whole point in having a zero fret anyway.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I thought this was interesting- I've had this strat since '92, I think- it was my first electric guitar.

I always thought it was probably a '91, but it turns out, this might be an '86 or '87:

(Aftermarket pickguard and seymour duncan antiquitys- the original, stock pickups were awfully lifeless.)

Notice the serial: E4xxxxx. My understanding is that after '85 Fender was making guitars in Corona, and used a bunch of older decals from '84(?)

The color of the guitar seems to be in line with what was available (Pewter, I think) from '85-'88.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

jwh posted:

...I think- it was my first electric guitar....

Must be nice to have an American for your first. :argh:

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Sockington posted:

Must be nice to have an American for your first. :argh:

Eh, the irony is that I had no basis for comparison, so I wouldn't have known a MIM from a US.

The neck is in bad shape on this guitar- apparently the necks from the mid to late eighties Fender Corona factory had some "issues," not the least of which was the dual truss rod with the micro-tilt. This rod has more tension on it than any I've ever seen, and I know it's just a matter of time before I have to replace it. Until then, I've tuned it down to D standard to try and take some of the pressure off the rod.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Aww, I thought you were about to show some closeups of the rod

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
drat, I've only read about micro-tilt but liked the idea of a shim-free shim, didn't realize it dragged in more issues. Not surprising I guess.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Well the micro-tilt, by itself, isn't the end of the world, but the bi-flex truss rod is a weird animal. I'm no authority, but the best explanation I was given by my dearly departed luthier, was that while it was a good idea in theory, in practice it meant you only had half the travel you'd normally have to correct a concave bow in the neck. Which seems to be the more likely problem, and is the problem with mine.

I have a hard time imagining a situation where you need to correct a convex bow with a rod adjustment, but hey, maybe it happens.

The micro tilt feature, though, apparently they were more of a problem on the basses. I'm not sure why. I wonder if it isn't because the contact area of the micro-tilt is (by necessity) smaller than the area of the neck pocket, and using it would mean taking contact area away from the neck and the body.

I don't know, the general consensus seems to be, "if you have a neck with a micro-tilt, don't use it."

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Might as well just slap a Mighty Mite neck on it and call it a day.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Declan MacManus posted:

Might as well just slap a Mighty Mite neck on it and call it a day.

Hey now, he wants fewer neck problems.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Warmoth does nice work. I have a Warmoth neck on my '83 pbass and its light years better than the stock neck.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Aww, I thought you were about to show some closeups of the rod

lol

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
From what I understand, Micro Tilt was a concession to players who didn't want a completely parallel neck/string angle.

I can't think of anyone who would have used it. I imagine if that was a big deal to a player, they probably weren't using Fender to begin with.

I dunno if there were any Micro Tilts on the first run MusicMan instruments, but they were on the first run G&Ls, and Leo Fender wanted to cut into Gibson's market with a few early G&L models.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 23, 2013

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
I'm in a total rut and I have no idea what to do. Usually I just put my guitar down for a few days, indulge in my other hobbies, and then come back fresh but I got nothing. Any recommendations? I guess I should learn something new, but I'm not sure what or how

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

TopherCStone posted:

I'm in a total rut and I have no idea what to do. Usually I just put my guitar down for a few days, indulge in my other hobbies, and then come back fresh but I got nothing. Any recommendations? I guess I should learn something new, but I'm not sure what or how
Try Rocksmith, it got me going again bigtime.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Time for a weird tuning!

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TopherCStone posted:

Are you talking about guitar or music in general? If you are stuck on composition, try pulling out a scale diagram and writing music from it without referring to the guitar to check anything. (Then play it later on, sometimes you can come up with actually really cool stuff this way).

Oh yea, and different tuning. There are so many to try, but really just tune it to some strange chord using your ears.

coolbian57 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 24, 2013

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TopherCStone posted:

Learn something fairly challenging that you have no real interest in or at least don't usual dabble in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

jwh posted:

Time for a weird tuning!

I've got a guitar in ostrich tuning and I pick that up to noodle around with possibly more than my Tele these days.