Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Ungh. How did you do this? It looks stellar. I need to do something similar for my car's bumper, did you follow a guide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Installed the flyscreen today, maybe go for a ride later!

[/URL

[URL=http://s271.photobucket.com/user/unsoberman/media/DSCN11511_zps33c82ae2.jpg.html]

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bye bye :(

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Went for a sunset ride to the refinery at the edge of town. Sat and watched.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Nice shots.

Put my friend's CX back together this weekend after the dreaded charging system refresh. We also replaced a bunch of misc gaskets and seals while we were in there because we were in there.
~14 hours to replace a stator :sweatdrop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rX85hyhP1Q

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Fixed my speedometer (by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery). :confused:

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Halo_4am posted:

Assuming it doesn't promptly fall off, I will say it is a great improvement. I threw those bolt LED's in the mix and spliced them into the running lights so the plate gets lit and all is legal here in plate light requiring Illinois.

Hundred or so miles later and there is no sign of the tape or caulk giving at all. Mod complete until winter when I have time and inclination to have something fancy fabbed up to bolt on to the remaining subfender.

Better before/after pics.

Sooooo much cleaner.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That looks pretty good.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Pregen ninja 250s came out of the factory with these two empty brake light pods next to the regular brake light. A lot of people wire in extra lights to make the bike a little more noticeable. That's what I did!

Also changed the center bulb to something brighter. For whatever reason it doesn't look as bright in the picture, dunno why.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Easy to wire up? Happen to take any pics while you did it? I really want to do this and get rid of most of the stupid rear fender bullshit, just looks weird.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It was relatively easy, and I've never even done electrical work before. I took two pics, one when I had just cut the original wires and one when I was done.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

M42 posted:

It was relatively easy, and I've never even done electrical work before. I took two pics, one when I had just cut the original wires and one when I was done.

Yo dawg, we heard you like quick connects, . . .

No solder to combine the brake light wires into that 3-prong?

:D

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Nah, I didn't feel like buying a soldering iron. Plus, it's easier to take out the bulb socket if you want for some reason (one of the two I got was defective)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
A soldering iron is like 20 bucks and you'll inevitably need it for something, but wire nuts are probably the better non-permanent solution for connecting wires like that.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Oh sweet, I didn't know that. Thanks! I didn't mean a soldering iron was expensive, it's because I'm moving out in like 4 days and won't be at the new place till the 9th, so delivery would be awkward and I wanted to get this done beforehand.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
If you feel like playing around with the wiring, you can make them double as turn signals too. It lets you clean up the rear if you don't like the big stock mudguard.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Buy weatherproof posilocks. Makes a watertight connection, and is braindead easy to install. That or some heatshrink, heatshrinkable splices, a crimp tool, and a lighter.

Anything is better than just mashing wires into a connector, electrical taping it, and calling it good.

Posi-locks and posi-taps are my goto though because they make great connections and are easily undone or added to.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Dang, now I wish I had asked before I did the job. At least that isn't electrical tape, it's heatshrink pre-shrinking. Though now I will probably get some posilocks or wire nuts and swap the connectors out after I move. Could have been a lot worse for a first go! :)

M42 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 27, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
As a BMW owner :smug:, I started up my 1955 R50 today which hasn't run for about 10 months and hasn't been synced since a new throttle gear install. Second kick. Suck it, plebs.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

As a Suzuki owner I warmed up my bike then went down stairs and played videogames. :smug:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
As a big-inch cruiser owner, I looked at my bike then went back inside because it was only Friday. :smug: seriouspost

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

As a 31 year old turbo bike owner :smith: I loathe the day it goes boom.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 27, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
As an air cooled 2 stroke owner, I tried to kick it over but it probably needs a new spark plug. Also why did it stop leaking oil from the pump? :iiam:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I did my steering head bearings :toot: The old ones were so bad it was extremely notchy and difficult to turn the triples without the bars adding leverage.

Also swapped in hyperpro springs and the accompanying fork oil. They supplied 15w, the factory spec is 10w.

I've only briefly ridden it around the block a couple of times and it honestly does feel like a different bike. As in I can't tell if it's better or worse because it feels like a completely different model of bike, it doesn't handle remotely similarly and I'm bad at judging handling on first impression.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

I did my steering head bearings :toot: The old ones were so bad it was extremely notchy and difficult to turn the triples without the bars adding leverage.

That's a pretty bad case of false brinelling. Use a better lubricant for the new one.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
As a vintage Thumper owner I put more loctite blue on every fastener remaining and made a list for home depot for the ones that fell off the last ride.

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale
As a Ducati owner I replaced the piece of cardboard I keep under my bike to keep oil from dripping on the garage floor.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
As a complete retard, I realized I'm lucky I didn't crash when I neglected to include one of the rear wheel spacers on my SV650. Seriously. The bracket that holds my rear brake caliper was ground down to basically nothing (I could see light through it on one spot).

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
As another SV650 owner, I [activity] and my bike was moderately well suited for it, along with [activity] and [activity] that it was also ok at.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

After I re-did the exhaust cam sensor O-Ring on my C14 (for the second time) last month, it started leaking again.

I manned up and made the over-sized ring I sized up before (but couldn't get it to fit) actually fit.

It was a pain in the but, but I got a nice thicker viton O-ring in place of the slightly too-small Buna o-ring from the factory. Bonus is since it was the 3rd time I did the job, I got it down to a 2 hour process :smuggo:

Anyone here with a C14 or ZX14 that has this common issue, let me know. I'll fix you up with an O-Ring.

Edit: To be clear why I did this 3 times

#1: Initial leak, known issue so I ordered up what I thought would work. O-Ring was just too big and I couldn't get the sensor back in the head with it on so I put in the next closest I could find.
#2: That o-Ring leaked, so I ordered in a brand new OEM ring.
#3: As to be expected, OEM ring leaked. So I persevered and put in the o-ring I actually sized up in #1 :downs:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 29, 2013

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

AncientTV posted:

As another SV650 owner, I [activity] and my bike was moderately well suited for it, along with [activity] and [activity] that it was also ok at.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?88535-fernley-vet-national-and-GP-pics

I messed around with the needle clip position on my DRZ's Mikuni and decided that the only solution is to order an FCR.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Sweet slam-job dude, needs an extended swing arm tho.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Hahaha that's amazing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That helmet. :rolleye:

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008
I destroyed the rear brake on the Buell. It actually locked up around Roswell, NM but I "fixed" it by bleeding some of the fluid. I guess my two minute fix was only good until around Oregon, somewhere along the road to crater lake, I felt it start to bind again, then I lost all brake feel on the rear. When I pulled over and got the caliper off, I was greeted by this:

Pretty sure I am going to need a new disc as well, until then though, front brake only.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Got to work today feeling like the rear was really vague and wallowy. Found this:

Along with about 12PSI in the tyre. Great. So this was my lunch break:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ReverendCode posted:

I destroyed the rear brake on the Buell. It actually locked up around Roswell, NM but I "fixed" it by bleeding some of the fluid. I guess my two minute fix was only good until around Oregon, somewhere along the road to crater lake, I felt it start to bind again, then I lost all brake feel on the rear. When I pulled over and got the caliper off, I was greeted by this:

Pretty sure I am going to need a new disc as well, until then though, front brake only.

Ouch! How did that happen? Did you misjudge how much pad was there before you left for the trip? I did that and ended up with a poor front brake from approximately Monument Valley to western Washington and a ruined rotor when I got home. Next time I am adding extra brake pads to my spergkit.

Crater Lake is near Bend by the way; not sure what your itinerary is or anything but if you like beer, a night there is well spent. We stopped there for our last night on the road on the way home from Texas.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I washed the bike and took off the cover over the front sprocket before cleaning and lubing the chain. Really glad I did as there was probably some years worth of sand/dirt/oil gunk inside there. One place had a good inch deep deposit. Sprocket looked okay, worn, but not done.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

I washed the bike and took off the cover over the front sprocket before cleaning and lubing the chain. Really glad I did as there was probably some years worth of sand/dirt/oil gunk inside there. One place had a good inch deep deposit. Sprocket looked okay, worn, but not done.

That goo will be back in about two months. The only clear space in there, on every bike I've owned, has been the cavity carved out by the sprocket/chain itself. Bieks :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Tuono had a flat, small puncture but enough to drain about 10 PSI a day. Apparently motorcycle shops do not patch tires due to liability. Awesome.

Went to harbor freight, got 40 dollars worth of tools and did it myself. gently caress getting rid of a brand new PR3.