Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Do you want to play a ridiculous pastiche of 80's action heroes who tend to make things blow up and benefit greatly from narrative causality? Do you want a sweet rear end gun loaded down with tactical options? Do you want to look at a mostly complete class that's still missing a few moves because those last few always seem to take the longest? Then you should check out...
The Maverick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Wisecrack is an amazing move, poo poo. Love it

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
Sorry to bring this us again, but could I get some feedback on The Bound?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Figured I'd share the AAR for that Planarch Heroes hack I listed upthread.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

unzealous posted:

Do you want to play a ridiculous pastiche of 80's action heroes who tend to make things blow up and benefit greatly from narrative causality? Do you want a sweet rear end gun loaded down with tactical options? Do you want to look at a mostly complete class that's still missing a few moves because those last few always seem to take the longest? Then you should check out...
The Maverick!

I'm not quite sure, but why do the pistols only hit barely four feet past arm's reach? Close is awfully short for any sort of bullet.

Handgun Phonics fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 21, 2013

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Ah, yes, that was a mistake on my part, the ranges for the shotgun and pistol should be similar, let me fix that right away.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

unzealous posted:

The Maverick!

+2 or +3 to a roll, on top of a stat bonus, is kind of huge. I'd consider taking a different tack with it, like making the base move like the Mage's Cast a Spell (choose two downsides on 7-9, one on 10+), and pattern the advances after Prodigy (no downside on 12+) and Archmage (one less downside).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Forgot to post these:

Latest and final version of the City Thief: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B30fzv28XdrYNjRwTXN6TzhWZ1E/edit

The item list that goes with it: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B30fzv28XdrYdjhjSThnZmhNSXM/edit

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
I just now discovered the rules for making and tagging towns and villages, and they seem a bit more... complex than the other systems. Does anyone else use them, and if so, is there a good example of completed ones?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The problem isn't that *World can't work with a modern setting (it can), it's that half of designing a *World system is about creating moves that embody the kind of fiction you're dealing with, and so trying to make a generic *World game is a waste of time. You can make ModernWorld, you can even make your basic moves, but you won't get ten playbooks unless you've got a specific idea of what PCs are going to be doing in ModernWorld and can build your playbooks towards that. ModernWorld doesn't work, but SpyWorld or SoldierWorld or even TownHallWorld would work just fine.
If you were to hack in Fate mechanics into the *World yeah I can easily see it working as you would eliminate the need for playbooks, eliminate the need for a drastic number of moves, and actually remove a lot of the weird problems that the *World game tends to have like the concept of the racial move. Admittedly, with the advent of Fate Accelerated I'm not entirely sure if there is such a big difference between the two systems outside of the dice rolling which honestly is still pretty much couched in the same philosophical underpinnings that the *World engine uses.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

MadScientistWorking posted:

If you were to hack in Fate mechanics into the *World yeah I can easily see it working as you would eliminate the need for playbooks, eliminate the need for a drastic number of moves, and actually remove a lot of the weird problems that the *World game tends to have like the concept of the racial move. Admittedly, with the advent of Fate Accelerated I'm not entirely sure if there is such a big difference between the two systems outside of the dice rolling which honestly is still pretty much couched in the same philosophical underpinnings that the *World engine uses.

Racial moves are more of a Dungeon World rather than a *World thing, aren't they? And for that matter, I'm seeing an increasing trend of replacing race moves with "talents" or "origin moves."

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Are you saying using the 2d6 method in fate or using fudge dice in DW?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

MadScientistWorking posted:

The biggest difference is using the single roll as both the PC's roll and their opposition's roll. In *World, the GM rolls no dice. In Fate, the GM very much does.

This is the one major division in my currend DungeonWorld group, actually, and why they want to get back to playing some Fate. Half of them don't like what they described as the feeling that there is "an unreasonable chance of failure when performing actions that burns you when you try to do things," even though we've had plenty of fun and exciting sessions now that should have shown them otherwise. The other GM in the group even feels that way, although he can't explain exactly why it is, since he understands the mechanic. He just doesn't like the feel as much.

[Edit:] to expand on that a but more: They don't like the idea that their character trying to accomplish things is what causes bad things to happen and prefer that the enemies doing things is what should cause things to happen instead. In their heads, the person to do the rolling apparently makes that distinction, or something. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it fully.

vvvvv No, no. Not at all. But I like letting the players roll it. In the same way that many editions of D&D has had players roll saves, I feel like it puts the final event happening to your character in your own hands.
... plus it's cool to sit down at a gaming table and have no dice, no DM screen, and hardly any notes.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 23, 2013

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Blasphemeral posted:

In *World, the GM rolls no dice.

I roll dice for enemy damage. Am I doing it wrong?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Boing posted:

Eh I roll damage the few times I ran dungeon world/hacks because its more fun that way for me as a GM because I like rolling dice.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Boing posted:

Yes, technically. You're supposed to make the players roll for everything.

Not that it hugely matters for this specific case though.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm not sure if any of my group read this, but if any of you currently in the Iron Road are reading this, know that there are minor spoilers ahead.

My group recently acquired a dwarven-made autonomous/clockwork combat mole (about the size of a car). This wasn't originally intended, but through player input earlier in the session it was essentially established how to reprogram dwarven automatons and, one thing leading to another, the last fight ended with a terrifying new pet. The wizard reprogrammed it to take commands, essentially.

This is too awesome to say no to, of course. Plus the party definitely fought a hard and dangerous fight to get it. However, I don't want something that will overshadow the barbarian or other melee combatants in the party. I decided to make a move that anyone in the party could use.

I don't have much experience writing moves, so could I get some critiques on it? Also, if anyone has general advice on the party acquiring some awesome new thing/power/ability and balancing it with not trampling on another player's shtick, it'd be much appreciated.

Molematon Acquired!
Your ancient molematon is active again and now under your command. Some of its obscenely complex inner workings were damaged during the combat, requiring constant (albeit barely understood) upkeep. If Repair is reduced to zero, the only commands that can be understood and carried out are "follow" and "stop."

Go!
When you give the molematon a command (aside from "follow" or "stop"), roll +Repair. On a 10+ your command is executed exactly (to the best of the molematon's abilities). On a 7-9 your command is carried out, but choose one:
* Reduce Repair by 1.
* Your command is slightly misinterpreted or misunderstood by the molematon.
* The molematon causes undesired damage or attention in carrying out your command.

Amusing Repair Reference Here
When you spend a couple hours or so working to repair your molematon, roll +INT or +DEX and remove any remaining repair. On a 10+, set Repair to 3. On a 7-9, set Repair to 2. On a 6-, set Repair 1, but an unseen flaw has been introduced by your bumbling attempts which will reveal itself at an inopportune time.

Alternative repair idea:
Simply reset repair to 2 with a couple hours work, no roll required.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe take a look at this?

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.
So, I watched The Conjuring last night...

I was wondering if we have any classes available that work about like a Demonologist?

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Sort of? There's KillerQueen's Diabolist, and also Fenarisk's Pariah, though that one is unfinished.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Huh, I got confused for a second when I read my name attached to a class. By the way, that class is mostly done, I just haven't really gotten the chance to make it into a proper playbook.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

The Warlock is and will always be the best of the third party classes (and was also one of the earliest :kiddo: )

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.
I guess not quite what I was looking for. I'll think it over. Thanks!

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Mikan posted:

The Warlock is and will always be the best of the third party classes (and was also one of the earliest :kiddo: )

Love the class, hate the layout :(

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

When you're the first major third party class and nobody's made a decent template to work from yet (or you hadn't yet made your own, since that's exactly what I had to do) you work with what you have.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Mikan posted:

When you're the first major third party class and nobody's made a decent template to work from yet (or you hadn't yet made your own, since that's exactly what I had to do) you work with what you have.

Yet still it's one of the best/most balanced classes too.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Fenarisk posted:

I'm not sure I can agree with that, honestly. The Warlock has always felt boring and a bit underpowered to me. It has really cool fluff but I don't feel like the rules fully support it or go as far as they should with it.

I would offer to rewrite/improve it, with Mikan's permission, but he keeps rubbing it in that it's sold more copies alone than all of my individual playbooks put together. :colbert:

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

You can't improve on perfection and I think the 550 people who bought it on DrivethruRPG would agree :colbert:

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

Mikan posted:

You can't improve on perfection and I think the 550 people who bought it on DrivethruRPG would agree :colbert:

I still think the Mage is funner to GM for if you're improv heavy.

Especially when a player decides to do something like say "make the world mine"

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Speaking of the Mage, I have one of my players using it and I'm having some trouble figuring out what to do with him. He chose 'the Clock' as his focus. He said he wanted to attempt to look forward/back in time, and I felt that given his focus, that was a perfectly appropriate thing to try to do with his magic. But now I'm having issues trying to figure out what appropriate backlash/moves to make on him when I pick bad stuff to happen as a result.

Edit: Perhaps I'm approaching the whole thing wrong. It depends. If he's trying to figure out something that happened in the past, is it a Discern Realities move using his magic, or is it a Cast Spell move?

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 25, 2013

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Let him see in the past, but he sees it from a different view point, sees it changed, gets confused or maybe just remembers wrong. Also alternate timelines.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
Moves that let you see the future are kind of tricky for the GM in DW. I've always had trouble with the Augur at my table, walking a fine line between empowering the player and "play to see what happens".

That said, those are usually perfect opportunities to reveal ugly truths and impending dooms.

In your case, I'd definitely go with Cast a Spell. For possible stuff to go wrong, what about saying something like "Your perception is stuck in the future and having trouble reconnecting with your past, -1 ongoing to Spout Lore until you can re-focus on normal temporal cognition."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Johnstone Metzger (the who did Adventures on Dungeon Planet) just released [url="https://"""]a new Dungeon World module[/url].

quote:

Lair of the Unknown is an introductory adventure module for the Dungeon World fantasy role-playing game. Inside you will find:
  • A complete dungeon, full of traps and horrors, ready for you to explore.
  • New monsters, characters, and magical items to vex or aid the PCs.
    Dungeon fronts—dangers that lie dormant and only activate when the PCs discover them.
  • Customized starting procedures and advice about asking the players questions that contribute to the setting.
  • Three new compendium classes and a new base class: the Dungeoneer.
  • Fantastic art by Nate Marcel and others.

It’s 110 pages, 6×9 in print, 5.5×8.5 in pdf. As far as adventure modules go, it’s not revolutionary or anything, it’s just tailored to Dungeon World, and I believe it will be an asset to both experienced GMs and novices. So, for example:

• If you are uneasy about improvising everything, this module provides you with a fully-stocked dungeon of no small size. This being Dungeon World, there’s also fronts and dangers. Some of the monsters wait around in rooms underground, but only until the PCs find them—then they are free!
  • If you want your players to contribute more but don’t know what to ask them, this module gives you customized lists of questions. Use the answers they give you to add new elements to the adventure that will actually mean something in the context of the dungeon and the town nearby. These setup procedures are written to help you get the PCs and the setting to mesh together, so the world makes sense to everyone at the table, while still preserving that sense of going into the unknown to confront dangerous things.
  • If you’re worried that my monsters won’t be bizarre or exciting enough for your game, there is also a section with procedures to create new monsters that will surprise your players.

And of course, this isn’t a linear plot—there’s no story here. There’s lots of little stories, characters, agendas, secrets, and dangers, which all add up to an overpopulated dungeon environment, bursting at the seams with opportunities for adventure. You can leave out or add as much as you want, drop pieces here and there into other games, or use this module as the starting point for a longer campaign.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Speaking of the Mage, I have one of my players using it and I'm having some trouble figuring out what to do with him. He chose 'the Clock' as his focus. He said he wanted to attempt to look forward/back in time, and I felt that given his focus, that was a perfectly appropriate thing to try to do with his magic. But now I'm having issues trying to figure out what appropriate backlash/moves to make on him when I pick bad stuff to happen as a result.

Edit: Perhaps I'm approaching the whole thing wrong. It depends. If he's trying to figure out something that happened in the past, is it a Discern Realities move using his magic, or is it a Cast Spell move?

You can always model it after other hint-getting or future-describing moves. On 7-9s they get weird, cryptic, or less relevant visions, on 7-9 and 6- they take take -1 forward, get stunned or- if it's really serious- take an Int or Wis debility as a vision goes bad.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Moves that let you see the future are kind of tricky for the GM in DW. I've always had trouble with the Augur at my table, walking a fine line between empowering the player and "play to see what happens".

That said, those are usually perfect opportunities to reveal ugly truths and impending dooms.

In your case, I'd definitely go with Cast a Spell. For possible stuff to go wrong, what about saying something like "Your perception is stuck in the future and having trouble reconnecting with your past, -1 ongoing to Spout Lore until you can re-focus on normal temporal cognition."

With looking into the future, you could put certain contraints on it to keep it consistent with the world.

The first big one is "This is what the future would have looked like if you didn't look at it." It's the bad outcomes of something coming that the Charscter is, up until now, unaware of. Simply by looking, and acting on that knowledge, the player reshapes the future.

The second limitation might be that he doesn't 'see' what happens, but gets some kind of prophecy that can easily be interpreted. "It will rain steel" "A secret will be revealed" "Water shall flow before Wine, Wine before Blood" You could attach jumbled images to the words, or just have the images themselves "You see a fist rushing in at you, but the details are fuzzy. The fist connects, and your vision goes black"

Make a note of the stuff you said, and then just use it when it seems to fit what is actually going on. "You're in the tavern, looking for information. A huge burly fellow with scarred knuckles orders a cup of water and a cup of wine. He gives everyone in the bar a sour, disgusted look as he glares about."

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Handgun Phonics posted:

You can always model it after other hint-getting or future-describing moves. On 7-9s they get weird, cryptic, or less relevant visions, on 7-9 and 6- they take take -1 forward, get stunned or- if it's really serious- take an Int or Wis debility as a vision goes bad.

No on a 6 or less you give them blatantly false info and they get a +1 forward when following it. :getin:

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Fenarisk posted:

I dunno about that. Is there any other way in the entire game to get +10 damage? (Human warlock with maxed +Warrior at level 6. Or hell, the +7 at level 3 is pretty nuts too.)

Though it's really easy to get it killed/hurt for the day, so it's not really reliable either. And after it's dead you're left with a bunch of moves that seem pretty situational.

I dunno, I'm with gnome7. It feels like it's missing something.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

ImpactVector posted:

I dunno about that. Is there any other way in the entire game to get +10 damage? (Human warlock with maxed +Warrior at level 6. Or hell, the +7 at level 3 is pretty nuts too.)

Though it's really easy to get it killed/hurt for the day, so it's not really reliable either. And after it's dead you're left with a bunch of moves that seem pretty situational.

Well, a vanilla Fighter can always get 1d10+2d8+2 normal damage at level 7 by multi-classing into Ranger, and that's not counting any bonuses from hirelings, forward, or anything else. They can also pull off 5 armor by one level later, assuming they invested in full plate by that point.

A level 8 Fighter is statistically more lethal than a trio of ancient and powerful dragons strapped together.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I'm pretty sure that conversation happened earlier in this thread or the previous one, almost verbatim, with the comparison of the damage potential. Class owns, moves are a lot of fun, no regrets. When you design a new Dungeon World class, roll +yolo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wrl
Sep 17, 2004
omg<3kittens
I had a couple issues with the variations of Swashbuckler I had seen, so I started working on this, The Swashbuckler. Let me know what you think. Still working on language issues and advanced moves.