Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Is there any way to tell how big a patch is or how close it actually is to completing? The patcher is useless, the progress bar jumped to 50% in a few minutes and hasn't moved since, and the numeric counter just shows files currently downloaded, with no indication of how many there are total. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Keene
Dec 20, 2012
Running CBB with two full parties of Goons is easily the most fun I've had in PSO2 yet. For half an hour we put the city to the sword and built of mountains of trash mob corpses. Bosses didn't fare much better, they just evaporated under the hail of gunfire, magic, and laser swords. :black101:

P.S. Persona is a dick.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is there any way to tell how big a patch is or how close it actually is to completing? The patcher is useless, the progress bar jumped to 50% in a few minutes and hasn't moved since, and the numeric counter just shows files currently downloaded, with no indication of how many there are total. :cripes:

Using PSO Tweaker you can get total file numbers/files downloaded, as well as it shows progress on individual file downloads. Bear in mind that if you don't know how to finesse your computer just right, and or dumb luck, it can be buggy as poo poo (it just crashes randomly for people it doesnt like), apparently. I have never had any problems with using it, except for when I was trying to download updates over tethered cell-phone internet, with expected results.

E: Tux, if you need help with that stuff just hop on GF mumble and I'll help you out with it.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 23, 2013

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I started playing this at the insistence of my dumb friends and am having an interesting problem. Hans doesn't want to give me client orders. At all. I'm a male cast, level 20 Tekker/30 Force(5 ranger, 15 hunter too) and have completed all of Afin's nonsense, all of Jean's tutorial stuff, two matter boards, like 8 Arks Road cards, the act 1 story quest, and have every area up to the tundra unlocked. My level 15 Braver alt I made can take client orders from him fine despite having done basically nothing at all.

I've run the file check multiple times, reinstalled my english patch, etc. and nothing doing. This is really bugging me. :(

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kanos posted:

I started playing this at the insistence of my dumb friends and am having an interesting problem. Hans doesn't want to give me client orders. At all. I'm a male cast, level 20 Tekker/30 Force(5 ranger, 15 hunter too) and have completed all of Afin's nonsense, all of Jean's tutorial stuff, two matter boards, like 8 Arks Road cards, the act 1 story quest, and have every area up to the tundra unlocked. My level 15 Braver alt I made can take client orders from him fine despite having done basically nothing at all.

I've run the file check multiple times, reinstalled my english patch, etc. and nothing doing. This is really bugging me. :(

You aren't missing much :v: Seriously, Hans's CO's really suck, no-one goes out of their way to do them.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

Cockblocking Jerk posted:

You aren't missing much :v: Seriously, Hans's CO's really suck, no-one goes out of their way to do them.

Prowling Oceanids alone is like 26000 EXP that can be funneled into subjobs. He's pretty handy to have for client orders for stuff like Border Break. Having no access to Hans is pretty crippling. Please try to keep your snark away from someone who is having a real technical problem.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Garin posted:

Prowling Oceanids alone is like 26000 EXP that can be funneled into subjobs. He's pretty handy to have for client orders for stuff like Border Break. Having no access to Hans is pretty crippling. Please try to keep your snark away from someone who is having a real technical problem.

I apologize, last time I looked at Hans' COs they were pretty trivial and mostly junk, if they've changed when EP2 came out, I apologize.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
also almost every other week doing a specific Hans CO will net you good stuff like 99 grinders, risk reductions, rare drop boosters etc.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
For a little context, if there's any Japanese speakers in here this is what Hans says when I talk to him on my Cast:

I assume that's just his general "Hey go do Afin's starting CO, idiot" line, but I've already done Impact of One's First Battle.

Jowy
Dec 4, 2007

Jesus Christ, it's a Pyro!

I apologize, last time I looked at Hans' COs they were pretty trivial and mostly junk, if they've changed when EP2 came out, I apologize.

Their requirements have all gone down by a lot, and even before then they were really good in many cases. The Vardha one (was 5 kills, is now 2, either way is trivial with Lilipa emergencies) is an easy 12k or so, you can get 10k for two Transmizers, orrrr something like 16k for killing Fang Banther and Banshee once, among other things. Dragonkin Challenge is piss easy and gets you nearly 30k now too, I believe, and the Ruins monsters related ones are also super easy. Prowling Oceanids, as noted, is fantastic.

The early ones suck dick but they get really really good and are massively useful, especially with Border Break around.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
Yeah, COs overall are a hell of a lot easier to do now, and the rewards are better. The only odd ones out are the Wopal weather observations weeklies, which give totally poo poo XP similar to Volcano area ones.

The only new melee PA I haven't tried yet is Deadly Circle, but the other ones all totally own. Here's a quick rundown.
Sword — Guilty Break: homing rush attack, two hits for good damage, chargeable
Partisan — Sacred Skewer: perfect accuracy multi-hit range attack with slight AoE, hits from above, gear increases damage, infinite range is a bug though
Wired Lance — Deadly Round: fast, hard-hitting close range area attack, low PP consumption
Knuckle — Backhand Smash: extremely short range and high PP cost, but insanely brutal damage and huge knockback
Twin Dagger — Bloody Saraband: short range, wide area(for daggers), very high damage flurry, with long i-frames before the final two hits, insane hang time

I haven't gotten the D-saber or Gunslash ones yet, so anybody who has, please tell us what you think!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
My comments on the Launcher one:

Flame Bullet: While you hold the PA button, you can walk around damaging everything in front of you with a flamethrower. I feel like this PA is really bad (unable?) to do weak point damage, the damage is too low, the damage ticks are too few and far between and you don't even get super armor like with TMG's infinity fire which causes you to always get interrupted within a milisecond of the rather long setup animation. Man, I was so pumped for this one.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Nabarta is an ice flamethrower and is also pretty poo poo.

I'm really getting into mechguns now since the roll bonus is so beefy and Heel Stab gives them the AOE I've always wanted since I used the katana's knockdown circle slash PA.

Laksa
Sep 25, 2012
Would a tech/gunner or gunner/tech combo work?

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

There are a lot of problems with that involving poor stat and skill synergy making it hard to equip weapons and having incompatible damage bonuses, combined with the lack of machine guns with T-ATK, so it's just not very well supported with the current itemization and skill trees. They might do something with the idea at a later time, since guns that shoot magic is a cool concept, but who knows?

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
Deadly Circle is Deadly Archer but instead of the Double Saber staying in one place it travels around you in a circle. each hit is about the same or a little less than each hit of DA, so it is DA spread over an AoE. Not much else to say but I guess that makes it inherently inferior since you can only hit any given enemy about 3-5 times with it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Which option should I use to pause the download with the PSO2 Tweaker so I can resume later -- "cancel current download" or "cancel process?"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Which option should I use to pause the download with the PSO2 Tweaker so I can resume later -- "cancel current download" or "cancel process?"

I just close the thing, it's a resilient downloader, it remembers where it was when you restart the download. It still has to do a file-check each time you restart the download though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I just close the thing, it's a resilient downloader, it remembers where it was when you restart the download. It still has to do a file-check each time you restart the download though.

Yeah, the first time I tried this it crashed everything and I had to restart my computer and the download from scratch. :v:

"Cancel process" seems to let it shut down gracefully, though.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Laksa posted:

Would a tech/gunner or gunner/tech combo work?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: there's no reason it would work, unfortunately. Techer/Gunner doesn't work because Gunner can't possibly offer much to Techer because ZRA only applies to ranged damage (so neither wands nor techs would get +damage), and Aerial Advance is a lot more tedious to keep up as a Techer. S Roll JA Bonus should increase tech damage after a roll, but that'd mean you have to use a TMG so your T-ATK would suffer and it's very likely to not be worth it unless you're using Namegid or something. I believe Perfect Keeper would work too but again, that's just +10-20% damage, but if that's all your subclass is providing it's kind of garbage. Chain Trigger is also trash.

Gunner/Techer doesn't work because Techer doesn't offer much to Gunner. PP is a non-issue (PP Convert and PP Restorate aren't worth it then) and Element Weak Hit is just a 20% damage boost to a portion of your weapon's damage, so not really that much. Everything else is about boosting Wind/Light/Dark which you'd probably be better off just using an appropriate element TMG for than switching to an Umblla Stick and casting.

Every class combo "works", but hybrids are rarely ideal. The only reason people sub classes that don't "match" their main class is because their respective stances (Fury, Brave/Wise, Weak) are ridiculously strong. If you want to play RAmarl support gunner then by all means go ahead. Just know that if your damage feels low and your support feels a bit weak there's a reason for that. Unless you're doing TAs I sincerely doubt anyone will call you out on it.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I would personally say Gunner/Force is the best bet for this situation. You would ideally use Techs to cover ranged AoE via a Talis (Duel Gaze), and while Techer's PP regen skills are nice; PP Charge Revival and Bolt PP Save help a lot more in that department. Not to mention the fact that Force actually has skills that boost your tech's damage better than elemental weak hit. The idea here is that you use your mechguns on single targets, but then you toss a talis into a wave of smaller enemies to thin them out with Gigrants/Zondeel/Gifoie. Also remember that Techs cannot be boosted by Chain Finish.

Laksa
Sep 25, 2012
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation umberger. It is much appreciated. I suppose i will concentrate on leveling my force/techer for now.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Some words on subclassing, class by class:

Hunter: great synergy with any melee or ranged class through Fury Stance, extremely tough with Iron Will, good range of PAs for any situation, lots of zone control options, and some hard hitting attacks for bosses, though the best ones are rare enemy drops, decent options for all class weapons at 8-9 stars makes it easy to use the PAs as a subclass

Fighter: great synergy with literally everything through Brave/Wise Stance, but dependent on positioning, so less useful for ranged dudes who will want to move around a lot, excellent single target damage with D-saber and Knuckle PAs, decent anti-air with Daggers, Chase Advance gives a huge damage bonus against enemies with status effects, which combos well with tech classes, decent itemization for tech hybrids as Fighter main, but hardly any good all-class fighter weapons

Ranger: excellent synergy with Gunner and Hunter,great mid and long range AoE damage, single target damage is comparatively mediocre, but Weak Bullet is the best debuff in the game and will make you welcome in any party, itemization favors Gunner, since most all-class rifles and launchers suck

Gunner: combos best with Ranger, since they can use rifles and the ranged damage bonuses stack, or Hunter, for the flat bonus to all ranged attacks from Fury Stance, machine guns do incredible damage with S Roll JA Bonus, best anti-air ability hands down, less area damage options than Ranger, all-class machine guns are really weak

Force: extremely self-contained, you go Force if you want to blast dudes with techs, since that's all it does, Lightning and Fire trees give you top notch area damage at all ranges, combo with Fighter gives top tech damage dependent on position, a few decent options for all-class rods and talismans, but tend to be pricey

Techter: already sort of a melee/tech hybrid, combos best with Force via Element Weak Hit and Fighter via Brave/Weak Stance and Chase Advance, Light, Dark and Wind have their uses, but don't have the raw power of Lightning and Fire, all-class wands are either really weak or super rare

Braver: Combos well with anything due to stances affecting all damage types, but works best with melee or ranged due to Braver Mag and their class weapons, katana PAs have great zone control, decent anti-air, so-so single target damage, and bows have a good mix of single target and area attacks, and Gravity Point is decent ranged zone control, Katana Combat can do absurd area damage with its finisher if you're doubled up on melee, there's a dearth of weapons period, and the only decent all-class Braver weapon for VH level content is the quite rare Agito, so going Braver-sub means having crappy weapons, obviously subject to change as more PAs and weapons are added

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah, the first time I tried this it crashed everything and I had to restart my computer and the download from scratch. :v:

"Cancel process" seems to let it shut down gracefully, though.

Like I said I haven't had any problems, but I guess I am an edge case. Use tweaker at your own risk apparently.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor
If PSO2 were Marvel vs Capcom, then this guy would be well on his way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQLArYNUHH4

Oh, another one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJQza63Co_Q

Aenslaed fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 24, 2013

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

New Client Order campaign features everyone's favourite grumpy elf:
http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=1863

You have until the end of this month to clear Black Slaughter I and Eraser Report I.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Which skills should I be aiming to get as a bow-wielding Braver?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
I would say primarily weak stance and all of the skills relating to it save for weak hit critical.
You also would probably want the pre-reqs for maxing out rapid shot mastery since that's at least a 15% damage boost.

You will definitely want to grab RA as a subclass though if you're focusing on weak point hits and weak point hits alone.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Maintenance extended four hours: http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=1874

edit - maintenance is done

Kessel fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 24, 2013

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Busey is ready for action.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
The summer fun has begun.

Now all we need is that beach teamroom.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Herb's majestic figure really has to be appreciated in person. Be sure to ask to see it if Herb's on.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

I found one of the new 10 star rares, Flamme Revolver, 640 R-ATK req twin machine guns. They look really cool and come with built in Burn IV. Not really my first choice for the new 10 stars, but hey, it's a notch below Pandora Extreme, so nothing to sneeze at.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Someone please tell me alternative costumes are available for NOT scratchoffs. I loved being a fashion disaster in PSU and demand satisfaction in PSO2.

Also I've been trying to find info on GU/HU builds, generally I've found that ZRA and other bonus stacking is the way to go instead of focusing on combo triggering (still getting at least one point for bosses) and just JA flipping and killing poo poo. Any other advice?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Someone please tell me alternative costumes are available for NOT scratchoffs. I loved being a fashion disaster in PSU and demand satisfaction in PSO2.

Also I've been trying to find info on GU/HU builds, generally I've found that ZRA and other bonus stacking is the way to go instead of focusing on combo triggering (still getting at least one point for bosses) and just JA flipping and killing poo poo. Any other advice?

"New" costumes are only available through AC scratch tickets (microtransaction/real money). Fortunately the amount of players who use AC scratch is very high and you can buy pretty much any fashion item on the player market for a reasonable price within a week or two of them being available.

Chain Trigger is generally worthless. It costs a lot of points to make it useful and in a lot of cases the mob will not sit still long enough for it to matter. My only other Gunner advice is that Perfect Keeper gives +10% damage with 1 SP but +20% for 10, so make of that what you will and decide if it's worth the full investment.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
This is a fine update.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 24, 2013

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Inexplicably, the price of Lambda Helfrets have crashed on Ship 1. I saw a +10, latent 3, Light 30, Quartz/Power 3 for 3 million and snapped that up on the spot. Low element rolls in crappy elements are going for over 1.5 million. Strange.

Jowy
Dec 4, 2007

Jesus Christ, it's a Pyro!

Umberger posted:

Chain Trigger is generally worthless. It costs a lot of points to make it useful and in a lot of cases the mob will not sit still long enough for it to matter. My only other Gunner advice is that Perfect Keeper gives +10% damage with 1 SP but +20% for 10, so make of that what you will and decide if it's worth the full investment.

I'm gonna have to disagree.

Even with a single point invested, a single hit chain is a respectable 50% damage boost for a PP bar's worth of Satellite Aims (or one elder rebellion or whatever if you'd rather flip into that) which is not a terrible deal even if it's only once a boss fight.

With a competent party, even on bosses who like to be obnoxious (hello, Banther running around and not being aggressively chain stunned) it's pretty trivial to get a 20 chain for 300%, or at least 10 for 200% (before factoring in Finish, anyway, which makes things get really silly) so long as you're paying attention. If you're soloing, firing off a one hit chain with max finish is still just over 200% damage to your PAs while it lasts which can be really drat great on weak points that you don't have a lot of time to deal with.

It's also worth noting that unless you really want to get Showtime or Attack PP Restorate, or have some other weird unnecessary SP spending habits like Automate Deadline or whatever, you can still get 5 Trigger and 10 Finish while getting the essentials (max both ZRAs, max S Roll JA Bonus, at least 1 point in Perfect Keeper but you can nearly max it).

That said it's still pretty god drat terrible against a couple of bosses if you try to pop it randomly like Quartz or whatever, and it's not as big of a deal now that Gunners can basically run 200% damage all the time forever, but I wouldn't call it worthless. It's definitely a preference thing, I will admit.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

kirbysuperstar posted:

This is a fine update.

Herb and me, paragons of physical beauty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
Schu looks about to fall over backwards at any moment.

This update is great.

• Locked thread