Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I just saw a Miiverse post where a guy had the full team assembled and was taking on Lilliput Steps.

Still, wouldn't it be more satisfying to do them all in order as opposed to doing them out-of-order?

It depends on how many times you have played through the game. I hate Lilliput since those freaking moles destroy my bears (and Paula is too weak to withstand more than one fight), so if you can come back with a fully decked team it's very satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you don't know about the health bar thing before you get to the Peaceful Rest Valley, you'll learn while you're there. gently caress trees. Also talk to the moles, they have a lot of good info I've been finding useful as another first-timer.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I just saw a Miiverse post where a guy had the full team assembled and was taking on Lilliput Steps.

Still, wouldn't it be more satisfying to do them all in order as opposed to doing them out-of-order?

Nothing is more satisfying to me in a JRPG than going to an optional dungeon from earlier in the game and completely wrecking it. This is also why I love NG+ in Persona 4.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Last time I played the game through legit means I never got past Titanic Ant, though this was back in... 2002 or something when I was able to rent Earthbound from a local video store (that went defunct in 2007 I believe, unfortunately when they had their going-out-of-business sale they had already sold that along with a ton of other great SNES games they had.) And the last time I played it seriously I had gotten Paula, though that was through a huge mess of avoiding those loving trees. Didn't help that I was using a Slingshot at the time.

Anyway, I've always been curious about this, do those loving Spiteful Crows always require you to fight them when you run into them or do they eventually get instakilled when you come into contact with them? I recall getting really annoyed with those fuckers always requiring me to fight them only for me to somehow miss and have them steal some food I had.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

RMZXAnarchy posted:

When I did it, it wasn't my intention. I think I completely forgot about some of them thinking that I would get to them later in the game.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Anyway, I've always been curious about this, do those loving Spiteful Crows always require you to fight them when you run into them or do they eventually get instakilled when you come into contact with them? I recall getting really annoyed with those fuckers always requiring me to fight them only for me to somehow miss and have them steal some food I had.

Any and all enemies can be instant killed. The game determines if you should instantly win by seeing if you can wipe the enemy team with regular attacks before they would get a chance to attack. Accuracy, evasion, and critical hits aren't taken into account, it's just your potential round 1 damage vs their max HP.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
People playing Earthbound for the first time. Look up the sword of kings and try to get it. It's a very good item.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Spacebump posted:

People playing Earthbound for the first time. Look up the sword of kings and try to get it. It's a very good item.

You vicious bastard.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I remember managing to completely skip Lilliput Step by accident. I was so confused at why I was missing the second part of the melody, but that just made the revisit all the more magnificent.

Spacebump posted:

You son of a bitch.

Your scheme's probably not going to work though, since if people are looking up the sword and how to get it, they'll probably see what makes it so infamous.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nothing could ever compel me to grind for something in a game with that low of a chance of dropping.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Any and all enemies can be instant killed. The game determines if you should instantly win by seeing if you can wipe the enemy team with regular attacks before they would get a chance to attack. Accuracy, evasion, and critical hits aren't taken into account, it's just your potential round 1 damage vs their max HP.

Getting a surprise attack helps with this a lot, I was insta-killing sprouts and Lil' UFOs as soon as I got the Peaceful Rest Valley.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

njsykora posted:

Getting a surprise attack helps with this a lot, I was insta-killing sprouts and Lil' UFOs as soon as I got the Peaceful Rest Valley.

Yeah, because then your party gets more turns before the enemy gets one, and the game takes it all into account.

Also worth noting is that items like the Casey Bat with huge attack ratings and terrible hit ratings will increase the instant kill threshold significantly, since accuracy isn't considered. Whenever I farm for the Sword of Kings, I put the Casey Bat on and go for back attacks, and it speeds things up a lot because you don't have to actually fight anyone. (If you accidentally end up in a fight, going into Ness' Goods menu and using a different bat will equip it, so you don't have to deal with the constant missing)

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Yeah the game definitely gets easier after you get Pauls and Jeff. It's worth it to spend a little time grinding in oneett and twoson. You don't even need to do it for that long either. Maybe 15 minutes or so. You also need to be cautious and heal early.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

My big learning point is you have a lot more PP than you think you have. Paula can fire out PSI attacks very often and stay in good range, then she can just use PSI Magnet to restock, or you can use Pray if you're desperate. Jeff's Spy ability is becoming drat awesome to use as well.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Nothing could ever compel me to grind for something in a game with that low of a chance of dropping.

The real kicker is that it only gives Poo +30 offense, which helps a lot at that point in the game but Poo's attack power goes back to being measly really quick. If it were something like +100 or gave Poo more Guts, it would be totally worth it would still suck.

All of the other 1/128 items are even worse, especially the Gutsy Bat. It maxes out Ness' guts stat, so he'll deal tons of crits, except when you get it there's only one fight left in the game and damage doesn't matter a whole lot there. It's also a loving nightmare to obtain because there's no place to rest and the enemy that holds it is probably harder than the final boss.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 24, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Cross-post from the Pikmin thread:

Yo PAL dudes: apparently GAME UK is sending out the Pikmin 3 eShop codes ahead of time, so if you don't wanna wait you can buy a code from their website and download the game right now!

EDIT: and they're £35, so they're even a little cheaper.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jul 24, 2013

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Cross-post from the Pikmin thread:

Yo PAL dudes: apparently GAME UK is sending out the Pikmin 3 eShop codes ahead of time, so if you don't wanna wait you can buy a code from their website and download the game right now!

EDIT: and they're £35, so they're even a little cheaper.

I'm tempted honestly, but I have a preorder slip sitting in my wallet downstairs so I guess I'll just wait until Friday, if I can wait years for the game a couple more days means naught.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Got lucky with my Amazon order :woop:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Caved and bought Earthbound despite having a copy on the SNES. I never beat it on the original because I got busy with student teaching when I got it. Time to rectify that without hogging our tv screen...

drat I love the wii u virtual console. :swoon:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Anyone know how large the download size is for Pikmin? Asked in the Pikmin thread but didn't get an answer.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
3942 MB, it seems: https://twitter.com/TiLMEN/status/355687773937754112/photo/1

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

3850MB according to the eshop download page, though.
Currently sitting at 1:20 left for me, so it's only downloading at some 800KB/s, but it's all good. :toot:

e: wait no, the actual download says 3954 MB.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

My pre-order didn't arrive today. :negative:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Moonside is really short but man those fire hydrants are loving brutal. Really cool part of the game though. The way people speak to you is downright eerie.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So can you do Save States in Earthbound? I'm starting to love that feature on the 3DS VC. Would be nice to have that going into some of the bigger boss fights.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Astro7x posted:

So can you do Save States in Earthbound? I'm starting to love that feature on the 3DS VC. Would be nice to have that going into some of the bigger boss fights.

Yea, you can create a restore point. I do it since saving and quiting requires an application reset.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
First trailer for Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpNjiFt7Xgw

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Sort of, whenever you leave a virtual console game, it remembers exactly where you left off. It's more like an extended pause, since you can't reload from an earlier save.

Anyway, you don't really lose progress by dying in Earthbound, you just lose half the money you're carrying, plus the cost of reviving your other party members. Since money you earn is automatically put into the bank, you won't lose any if you set off to a dungeon with everything stored in the bank.

Besides, the next time you go in you'll be at the same level as the point you died, so if it was at the boss, then you should hopefully be strong enough that the enemies won't be as much of a threat the second time.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

That loving Sned posted:

Sort of, whenever you leave a virtual console game, it remembers exactly where you left off. It's more like an extended pause, since you can't reload from an earlier save.

You can also make a savestate that you can load whenever

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That loving Sned posted:

That's how it worked on the original Wii, but Wii U and 3DS VC games also let you store one saved state that you can reload without restriction.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Rawrbomb posted:

Yea, you can create a restore point. I do it since saving and quiting requires an application reset.

Your dad is probably going to have some stern words for you about playing the game too much.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
There's an EarthBound thread now. Captain Yesterday made it!

SwimmingSpider fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 25, 2013

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

After fifty hours, I finally got my last two shiny gold stars in Nintendo Land. I am very, very bad at Octopus Dancing, and finally slaughtered the last stage. I also got the Ninja Castle gold star this morning, but that was less to do with my actual ability and more like actually using the special abilities the games gives you.

Those were some of the cooler credits I've seen.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

AngryCaterpillar posted:

First trailer for Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpNjiFt7Xgw

This looks like the kind of poo poo Microsoft usually puts out so people have something to do with their avatars.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I am really impressed with the earthbound VC. I love that a quick tap on the screen brings up the extended console options. I can't remember if Super Metroid did that, and if it doesn't, it should. And the easy button remap is a god send. I set up EB so that X is L and Lz is A. Commence one handed play!

Quick question to anyone who is a video :spergin: color person like I am. Are the colors on the pad "true"? I noticed in earthbound that the pad colors are way different than what is set on my TV. Greens and reds are brighter on the tv. And the you won message is purple. While on the pad the you won message is blue.

Trying to figure out if I need to fix my TV's color to match the game pad better.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 25, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Kilazar posted:

I am really impressed with the earthbound VC. I love that a quick tap on the screen brings up the extended console options. I can't remember if Super Metroid did that, and if it doesn't, it should. And the easy button remap is a god send. I set up EB so that X is L and Lz is A. Commence one handed play!

Yeah every VC game has that, and you can assign the console options to a button if you want.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kilazar posted:

Quick question to anyone who is a video :spergin: color person like I am. Are the colors on the pad "true"? I noticed in earthbound that the pad colors are way different than what is set on my TV. Greens and reds are brighter on the tv. And the you won message is purple. While on the pad the you won message is blue.

Trying to figure out if I need to fix my TV's color to match the game pad better.

All the Wii U VC games do this and it's awesome. :D

The YOU WON is indigo so in this case the truth really is somewhere in the middle.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

All the Wii U VC games do this and it's awesome. :D

The YOU WON is indigo so in this case the truth really is somewhere in the middle.

indigo like the Dye or the web color? cause they are different. Basically the TV is showing as indigo (dye) and the pad is showing up as indigo (web).

as compared to the two found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I've noticed if the controller isn't plugged into power the brightness is lower. Could that be it?

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I just bought a Wii U, overall I'm actually quite pleased with it. I was however sad to learn that I missed out on Super Metroid, Kirby's Adventure and F-Zero for .30.

Oh well. (I hate Monita.)

Anyway, is New Super Mario Bros Wii U better than the one on Wii?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Syfe posted:

I just bought a Wii U, overall I'm actually quite pleased with it. I was however sad to learn that I missed out on Super Metroid, Kirby's Adventure and F-Zero for .30.

Oh well. (I hate Monita.)

Anyway, is New Super Mario Bros Wii U better than the one on Wii?

General consensus is that it's at the very least an improvement, I think it's vastly better.

• Locked thread