Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'll probably just get a new Nexus 7 and not a Chromebook. It's nice to know the new 7 will be pretty good.

For those who have the original Nexus 7 and just got it recently, how are screen lift issues?

bull3964 posted:

What kills me is these stores have inventory right now but won't be able to sell till the 31st.

All of THAT is probably due to Google wanting to ensure the first orders from Play hit at the same time of retail availability. I really wanted to snag a new Nexus 7 before I left for vacation on Friday, but it looks like I'm going to come up a few days short.

Can you order one now and ship it to your vacation spot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Eh, if I was that crazy about getting one, I would just run to a B&M store to get one then. I'm just mildly annoyed at all the hype and buildup which causes a product ready to be sold from going out as soon as it's available.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Eh, if I was that crazy about getting one, I would just run to a B&M store to get one then. I'm just mildly annoyed at all the hype and buildup which causes a product ready to be sold from going out as soon as it's available.

The sad part is, the only hype and buildups are coming from the leaks from Reddit and the Android blogs. Google doesn't have to do anything but say it's a thing (which we all know it is) and that's it.

The stores releasing before they should and the Android blogs overhyping the poo poo out of things will cause it to sell out and popup on eBay for hundreds of dollars more than what it originally sells for.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Have they made mention as to whether or not the new N7 will have fixes for the old screen lift problem? Also, what're the odds it stays at $200?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Soul Glo posted:

Have they made mention as to whether or not the new N7 will have fixes for the old screen lift problem? Also, what're the odds it stays at $200?
They figured out the screen lift issue in later runs so I'd hope that it wouldn't be a problem in the new one. It's going to be $230 and $280 for 16GB and 32GB, respectively. We find out more tomorrow!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What timezone is the event in tomorrow? Is it at Mountain View?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Soul Glo posted:

The new nexus 7 is a completely new device. So any fixes for the old nexus 7 would have nothing to do with the new nexus 7.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

They figured out the screen lift issue in later runs so I'd hope that it wouldn't be a problem in the new one. It's going to be $230 and $280 for 16GB and 32GB, respectively. We find out more tomorrow!

$229 and $269.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

But you'd think hope really like to believe Asus'd have learned something from the first one. And the jump to 32GB is only $40? Nice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

They figured out the screen lift issue in later runs so I'd hope that it wouldn't be a problem in the new one.
It's Asus, so they'll find a new, different way to have hardware problems.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Tunga posted:

What timezone is the event in tomorrow? Is it at Mountain View?

Works out to 5PM British summer time (though you've probably long since got that answer).

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

any opinions on those MOGA Pocket controllers? Just got a %50 off email, kinda tempted...

Do they work with emulators and such or is it just special supported games only?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/07/23/some-lucky-dude-already-picked-up-the-new-nexus-7-here-is-the-retail-box/

Looks like the new box will be blue.

I wonder if the new 10 and Nexus 5 (?) will be blue too.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/07/23/some-lucky-dude-already-picked-up-the-new-nexus-7-here-is-the-retail-box/

Looks like the new box will be blue.

I wonder if the new 10 and Nexus 5 (?) will be blue too.

Seems fitting considering that in one form or another there's going to be a lot of blue balls tomorrow.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hey, HBO Go finally updated their app today and it no longer runs like poo poo on the Nexus 10!

Just in time for 4.3 which will probably break it again.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZzS6BxHEns

Stream for the 9AM Pacific/12PM Eastern/5PM British Summer event today.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
PC Connection shows in stock and ships today on the new nexus 7.

http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=15976153

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Overnight shipping, eh?

Wonder if that's something they'd actually do.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Best Buy has it "coming soon." I guess maybe they're not going to light up the buy button until the official unveiling.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Best Buy has it "coming soon." I guess maybe they're not going to light up the buy button until the official unveiling.

I wonder if the July 30 availability date is wrong?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

Earlier this morning, the "coming soon" was actually a pre-order button.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.
I sold my iPad a few months ago when I made the switch to Android, and am dying without a tablet lately. I'm definitely picking this little sucker up but you guys seem to mention that if willing to wait a few days, ordering from the Play store will result in a better customer service experience if there are issues with the tablet. Am I hearing that correctly? Are you guys planning on going the Play store route or the first big box retailer that lights up their button?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

not to squash the N7 talk, but is there a charger made that will let the Nexus 10 operate without draining?

I'm just keeping the thing on daydream with an ipad charger (the big one, not the small one) and the battery slowly drains all day rather than maintaining or actually charging.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Just buy an alarm clock.

The daydream crap just seems like a way to prematurely age your device.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Schmoli posted:

Are you guys planning on going the Play store route or the first big box retailer that lights up their button?
I think most people here are going to buy it from a retail store but I'm getting it from the Play store because I can wait and I've read too many bad stories about Asus' customer support.

Telex posted:

not to squash the N7 talk, but is there a charger made that will let the Nexus 10 operate without draining?
You can get a pogo cable. http://www.amazon.com/MagNector-N-10-Nexus-Pogo-Cable/dp/B00B2166BS

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've personally been burned by Asus' horrible quality control one too many times. The N7 has attractive internals but I don't want another piece of poo poo Asus tablet that's literally falling apart out of the box.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Telex posted:

I'm just keeping the thing on daydream with an ipad charger (the big one, not the small one) and the battery slowly drains all day rather than maintaining or actually charging.

The battery is going to do that some. The charger should let it charge, then run off the battery, and top it back off. If its never topping back off, then try a different charger.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Telex posted:

Why don't you use the one that came with the device?

The iPad charger is probably only giving it 500mA since most Apple marketed chargers won't negotiate a higher amperage with a non-Apple device.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Just buy an alarm clock.

Nah, phone LCD screens are generally expected to get at least 30,000 hours of life. That's over three years of continual use. You'll probably have a new device by then. Don't worry about it.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

bull3964 posted:

The iPad charger is probably only giving it 500mA since most Apple marketed chargers won't negotiate a higher amperage with a non-Apple device.

Yes, that is probably it because the N10 charger that comes with the device has 2000mA

Tigren posted:

Nah, phone LCD screens are generally expected to get at least 30,000 hours of life. That's over three years of continual use. You'll probably have a new device by then. Don't worry about it.

It seems like a bad idea on AMOLED devices but everything else should be fine.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Just buy an alarm clock.

Yes, I am going to set up an alarm clock on my desk at work to watch tweets and flipboard all day.

That is an excellent suggestion.

bull3964 posted:

The charger that came with the device sits at home. I'm at work. I didn't realize the Apple charger could tell the difference in USB cables plugged into it, which still brings me to the question of what exactly is out there that I can buy (google does not appear to actually sell chargers) that will maintain a charge on the device while I sit with it all day and occasionally use apps when I'm not doing my actual work.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

It's starting.
http://live.theverge.com/google-android-chrome-sundar-pichai-summer-announcement/

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Ars Technica has a nice liveblog going as usual.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Somehow the official Youtube stream is slower than the journalists who are liveblogging it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

True 1080 HD or in other words, not 1080p, but 1920x1200.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Thinner, lighter, higher DPI, wider color gamut, dual speakers :gizz:

Also no stupid faux metal rim.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

LTE available and wireless charging.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
4g LTE, I finally have a job that gives me a free ATT SIM card for me to use, so want the LTE unit.

Anyone want a Nexus 10 w/ smart cover for $350? I need to dump it to get this guy.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

LTE is nice i guess but honestly, i get free tethering from tmobile. No reason to not just use that.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't have sound here so I'm sort of combining the video stream with the commentaries on Verge/Ars.

Did they say that the LTE version is US only. I can't upgrade my N7 3G unless there is a new 3G/4G version of this so I'm going to be pissed if they don't release it in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

What bands will the new Nexus 7's LTE antenna support?