Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Hey man. You know how people hate bugs.

What if the bugs were huge, and also demons.

This is how I imagine Lovecraft thought of everything. Just brought in a bunch of homeless people, asked what they are scared of, realized people REALLY HATE BUGS more then squid, and then decided to gently caress with us.

Pretty sure the Ak'ab were not inspired by Lovecraft, but by some obscure central American and/or Mayan legend. Possibly even something Ragnar thought up when questioning homeless people about what scared them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Thanks to HughGRect's sage advice, I managed to reach the next mission in issue 7's chain via the ancient tradition of taking off all my gear and running like gently caress past the nasty men who were blocking my path in Carpathian Fangs. If anyone else got that far and was getting murdered by orange pillocks, I advise you to do the same.

I have to say I've been super impressed with the quality of the issues so far.

Edit: Where do I go to spend sequins of Transylvania?

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 23, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

Edit: Where do I go to spend sequins of Transylvania?

Shadowy forest in the dracalesti trailer park.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

HughGRect posted:

Pretty sure the Ak'ab were not inspired by Lovecraft, but by some obscure central American and/or Mayan legend. Possibly even something Ragnar thought up when questioning homeless people about what scared them.

The Ak'ab are a weird outlier as far as monsters in the game go, in that they're less of a specific mythological creature, and more of a combination of folklore and Lovecraftian creatures. They're most likely denizens of Xibalba, the Mayan underworld, and share resemblances to both the Byakhee and Mothman. 'Ak'ab' is allegedly the Mayan word for 'night', so that also lends credence to the idea that they aren't based on anything specific, they're more of a generally inspired original creation.

It really bothers me that the Ak'ab are outliers like this. They're more of a hodge-podge of different aspects of American myths than anything specific, but they aren't straight-up Lovecraftian like mainline Filth creatures.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Western monsters aren't the only ones wanting a piece of human flesh, you racist.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

HughGRect posted:

Shadowy forest in the dracalesti trailer park.

There's not much on there that seems worth buying, should I just spend them on those crazy grab bags?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Cleretic posted:

The Ak'ab are a weird outlier as far as monsters in the game go, in that they're less of a specific mythological creature, and more of a combination of folklore and Lovecraftian creatures. They're most likely denizens of Xibalba, the Mayan underworld, and share resemblances to both the Byakhee and Mothman. 'Ak'ab' is allegedly the Mayan word for 'night', so that also lends credence to the idea that they aren't based on anything specific, they're more of a generally inspired original creation.

It really bothers me that the Ak'ab are outliers like this. They're more of a hodge-podge of different aspects of American myths than anything specific, but they aren't straight-up Lovecraftian like mainline Filth creatures.

They're related to the Mayans, so I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out they're Filth infected somehow. It's not like they'd be the only pseudo-mythological race to end up infested. They're kind of an outlier either way though, in that they show up for like one part of a zone in a notable way then fade into the background as a group you mostly kill quest your way through. I don't even remember seeing much about them past the tree house and its surrounding area.

Though if they're supposed to be denizens of the Mayan underworld, that raises some odd questions. Like what the gently caress is going on in the Mayan underworld that'd cause a horde of giant evil bugs to start swarming the surface.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 23, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Archonex posted:

They're related to the Mayans, so I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out they're Filth infected somehow. It's not like they'd be the only pseudo-mythological race to end up infested. They're kind of an outlier either way though, in that they show up for like one part of a zone in a notable way then fade into the background as a group you mostly kill quest your way through. I don't even remember seeing much about them past the tree house and its surrounding area.

Though if they're supposed to be denizens of the Mayan underworld, that raises some odd questions. Like what the gently caress is going on in the Mayan underworld that'd cause a horde of giant evil bugs to start swarming the surface.

The Mayan underworld has a building full of sentient blades that attack people who enter it. What do you think razor house is? The bugs probably wanted to get as far away from it as they could.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

Pilchenstein posted:

There's not much on there that seems worth buying, should I just spend them on those crazy grab bags?

Pretty much. They added those grab bags because there's nothing better to spend them on.

I guess you could stock up on casting toolkits, if you think you're likely to recast all of your custom weapons. That's some real endgame poo poo, though.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
My latest crappy build idea is Shotgun/Elemental, looking to leverage Strikes and Weakness.

- Both Shotgun and Elemental are ranged, both have Strike builders and consumers
- There is an outer ring Shotgun passive to make all Strikes proc the Weaken effect (3% damage debuff per stack, up to 10 stacks)
- There are a bunch of 'extra damage on Weaken' or '+7.5% Crit on Weaken' and IIRC a '+30 Hit rating (stacks 8 times) on Weaken' type passives

It'll probably turn out horrible like every other build I've tried though. :downsgun:

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

WarLocke posted:

My latest crappy build idea is Shotgun/Elemental, looking to leverage Strikes and Weakness.

- Both Shotgun and Elemental are ranged, both have Strike builders and consumers
- There is an outer ring Shotgun passive to make all Strikes proc the Weaken effect (3% damage debuff per stack, up to 10 stacks)
- There are a bunch of 'extra damage on Weaken' or '+7.5% Crit on Weaken' and IIRC a '+30 Hit rating (stacks 8 times) on Weaken' type passives

It'll probably turn out horrible like every other build I've tried though. :downsgun:

Strike builds don't pan out that well for several reasons, the primary one being that the attack abilities are just too weak for whatever reason (the reason is Funcom). Flame strike (or whatever the 2-resource consumer from ele is) is the exception and is fairly nice damage. "Weaken" is a general class of debuffs; the passive you're talking about applies "Debilitate", a specific type of weaken that reduces damage. "Exposed" (increased damage on the target) is a much better type of Weaken for solo content that you can get from the Breakdown passive and melee weapons.

Final general advice: the static stat buff passives ("+30 hit", etc) are already bad a fraction of the way through the solo content, and are awful in the endgame. Pick up percentage-based damage boosts instead.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Smith Comma John posted:

Strike builds don't pan out that well for several reasons, the primary one being that the attack abilities are just too weak for whatever reason (the reason is Funcom). Flame strike (or whatever the 2-resource consumer from ele is) is the exception and is fairly nice damage. "Weaken" is a general class of debuffs; the passive you're talking about applies "Debilitate", a specific type of weaken that reduces damage. "Exposed" (increased damage on the target) is a much better type of Weaken for solo content that you can get from the Breakdown passive and melee weapons.

Final general advice: the static stat buff passives ("+30 hit", etc) are already bad a fraction of the way through the solo content, and are awful in the endgame. Pick up percentage-based damage boosts instead.

Most of this is just flat out wrong.

Striker is a very reasonable builder. Flame Strike is an ok consumer, but suffers a lot of flaws compared to Blaze. And Raging Bullet is ususally equal to or superior to Out for a Kill for Solo play.

The stacking hit buff is abaolutely pheomenal (although the weakend one is, unfortunately, harder to stack than the Frenzy one) all the way up through early Nightmare instances since you have haphazard itemization and Hit is point-for-point the god king stat until capped.

We can provide you with a proper Shotgun/Ele group build when you are ready to do elites/nightmares, and you can even run a strike build there without crippling your grou[ since you can Social Dyname to boost the better geared players' damage and they'll appreciate it.

But until that point, yeah, your build seems pretty reasonable. Miight want to grab a passive healing skill or Turn the Tables for some sustain, but you should be fine. Also, grab a Manifestation of some type from Elemental's outer ring. They are all good in their own ways, and it's best to get adjusted to using them since they are pretty much required in endgame Elemental builds.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

HughGRect posted:

Posted some more of the unreleased lore on the offsite forums: Added a little background on the Ak'ab, Revenants and Jack. I am not too impressed with the Ak'ab and I hope it gets fleshed out a little, but how Jack, the Will-o-the-wisps and the Revenants are connected is pretty neat.

Where did you post it?

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

So is it worth doing Polaris at all? Just about finished all the quests in the first zone, wondering if it's worth finding a group for this early on.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Booblord Zagats posted:

Where did you post it?

Here and here.

rizzen posted:

So is it worth doing Polaris at all? Just about finished all the quests in the first zone, wondering if it's worth finding a group for this early on.

If your in sub QL3 blue gear, then a quick run through Polaris will be nice. You can walk away with a blue QL3 weapon of your choice and a handy ring just from doing the instance and turning the mission in, whatever drops you pick up are just gravy on the potatoes. See if any of the lazy and bored higher ups would be willing to run you through it, a good chunk of us can solo the dungeon so you can have all the fat loots.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

rizzen posted:

Yes. Polaris is awesome. Do it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

rizzen posted:

Yes. Polaris is cool as gently caress and the loot is good.

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

Where did you post it?

The enjin forum.

http://everythingisgoon.enjin.com/

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Don't get run through Polaris by goons, nor any other dungeon. If you want to be run through after the first time, fine, but the first time through you should go in blind with a group that's level-appropriate. It's way more fun that way, TSW dungeons are cool as poo poo and deserve to be experienced properly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

guppy posted:

Don't get run through Polaris by goons, nor any other dungeon. If you want to be run through after the first time, fine, but the first time through you should go in blind with a group that's level-appropriate. It's way more fun that way, TSW dungeons are cool as poo poo and deserve to be experienced properly.

Yeah I second this. Do the dungeon with people in the right QL and THEN let goons run you through them so you can get all the loot.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
With regard to Polaris, do I need to optimize my build before doing it? I just came back to secret world after a long hiatus and my character's build sucks (blade/blood and I placed SP into both track of blade and blood... sigh). thanks.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I second that. Did PUGs of Polaris and Hell Raised with at level pubbies this Sunday and no one was a dick, every wipe was, "Oh well, let's try again!" and pretty much it was a completely positive experience. I never wanted to do dungeons with anything other than an at-level group and those runs just reinforced that feeling. Had a TON of fun doing them, even in our 10+ attempts at Machine Tyrant.

I'd say go with goons if you can find other goons to do them blind at-level, but no one else who's done it before.

e: ^ We did Polaris with an elem/blood and an AR who wasn't spec'd to heal and was our primary healer with only slight problems, so don't stress about minmaxing this early on.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 24, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Just added some classy information about Vlad, its a fun read.

Click Me

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
So did nobody know about the raid exploit? What is the raid exploit?

I want to try the raid exploit :(

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Turns out we can raid after all. We just won't get the bullion from the mission.

So the raid is still happening.

I am really curious as to what the exploit could have been. Apparently something to do with the actual mission part, which is odd.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Boooooooooooooooo. I want bullion. Although my housemate might want me to take him suit-shopping for a fancy party for the weekend, so I might miss tomorrow's.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Boooooooooooooooo. I want bullion. Although my housemate might want me to take him suit-shopping for a fancy party for the weekend, so I might miss tomorrow's.

Good thing the raid isn't tomorrow.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Good thing it is, seppo.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
You guys aren't on a Wednesday/Sunday schedule anymore?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

guppy posted:

You guys aren't on a Wednesday/Sunday schedule anymore?

This is what happens when you treat bogans like real people.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Cheers for the Polaris info. I'll try and get a blind group for it then.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Do any of the later areas or issues due with, or give hints as to who Cassandra is? I get the vibe that Beaumont is Loki, but Cassandra escapes me. Since he does not know who she is, I presume she is not part of Norse mythology.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
Pretty sure Cassandra is Loki. The dialogue before Cassandra whacks Beaumont hints that she is in fact the real Loki. That line 'it's not you, it's me!' is a double entendre. It's also known in Norse mythology that Loki is a shape-shifting trickster and has posed as a woman on occasion.

I was kinda hoping she would come back later on with the techno excalibur.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Seemenaked posted:

Pretty sure Cassandra is Loki. The dialogue before Cassandra whacks Beaumont hints that she is in fact the real Loki. That line 'it's not you, it's me!' is a double entendre. It's also known in Norse mythology that Loki is a shape-shifting trickster and has posed as a woman on occasion.

Didn't he get knocked at one point? Hell wasn't that how his brothers horse was born?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

lethial posted:

With regard to Polaris, do I need to optimize my build before doing it? I just came back to secret world after a long hiatus and my character's build sucks (blade/blood and I placed SP into both track of blade and blood... sigh). thanks.

I'm not sure if you need an optimized ability setup, but it's pretty hard if you're in QL1 gear. I was glnacing all over the bosses, and when we got to the rear end in a top hat that electrifies the water we ended up wiping. One dude got his purpled-out friend to come in and blaze us through it. At least I got a QL3 talisman and elemental focus out of it (plus QL3 shotgun from the mission turn in).

VVV: Wait, I thought people had hinted that Cassandra and Bauemont were just really, really old beelords? So now it's not that beelords are immortal (or at last unaging), but there are actual immortals separate from the PC's type?

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 25, 2013

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
No one is certain who Cassandra King is. There is (was) a 14 page thread filled with various theories over at the TSW forums.

I like the idea that she might be Morgan Le Fey. Mostly this is tied up with her pursuit of Excalibur above the Filth and the fact she leaves for Scotland afterwards (Scotland having a mythology of both Witches and Faeries). Not the strongest theory, but its one I like (particularly if it leads to more Arthurian legend in TSW).

I also like the Loki idea, though it does raise questions about who the hell Beaumont is. Some deranged immortal that happens to believe he is Loki and also posses relatively obscure knowledge of Norse mythology? As a random aside, Frederick means "Peaceful Ruler" and Beaumont "Beautiful Mountain", as a friend pointed out.

Unfortunately, I think any further Cassandra reveals will be after Tokyo. She doesn't appear to have any Orochi connection, nor does she appear interested in aiding or fighting the Filth, so I can't see here showing up in Tokyo with her fancy sword.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Pinely posted:

No one is certain who Cassandra King is. There is (was) a 14 page thread filled with various theories over at the TSW forums.

Re: Cassandra, I hadn't noticed her surname is King. There's a bit of graffiti in Hell Raised, in the chamber where you fight Recursia, which reads "KING RETURNS" (specifically "King" and not "The King", because otherwise that would be Elvis...), and I was wondering what the gently caress that meant. Probably coincidental and unrelated, but who knows?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

WarLocke posted:

I'm not sure if you need an optimized ability setup, but it's pretty hard if you're in QL1 gear. I was glnacing all over the bosses, and when we got to the rear end in a top hat that electrifies the water we ended up wiping. One dude got his purpled-out friend to come in and blaze us through it. At least I got a QL3 talisman and elemental focus out of it (plus QL3 shotgun from the mission turn in).

VVV: Wait, I thought people had hinted that Cassandra and Bauemont were just really, really old beelords? So now it's not that beelords are immortal (or at last unaging), but there are actual immortals separate from the PC's type?

You do not need to optimize your build for Polaris, but you will want to be in at least a mix of QL2-3 greens.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Seemenaked posted:

Beaumont is pretty clearly Loki, you can his trace appearances back to the 1700's at least, (as befits an immortal) plus all of his dialogue hinting at his origins. He makes clear references to the All-Father and Mjlonir for starters. Then there's the mission with Odin's Ravens clearly refers to Beaumont coming to the New World, (following the Mayans) matching up with what you hear on the Savage Coast while investigating the Fire. Cassandra is probably just a secret world wildcard, as she comes out of nowhere. "It's not you, it's me is clearly just her breaking up with him dramatically :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?
Yay, I finished my elites and got the gatekeeper (Healer) down in two tries last night! In scrubby greens and blues, no less. Time to gently caress up some 18s.

• Locked thread