Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Hes a 2nd generation Russian immigrant and he doesnt seem to know much about his own religion anyway so I really doubt it.
It doesn't matter as long as that religion gives him a big shiny stick to beat people with! :thumbsup: Oh well, gently caress him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

HEGEL CURES THESES posted:

It doesn't matter as long as that religion gives him a big shiny stick to beat people with! :thumbsup: Oh well, gently caress him.

To be fair I know a lot of rear end in a top hat atheists, so we should just call it a wash...

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Had a fun talk with him about integrating suburbs.

I responded by outlining what redlining and blockbusting are, telling him that suburbs have always been subjects of racist policies. I also showed him this article, which is a great read:
http://www.oprhc.org/2012/07/americas-racially-diverse-suburbs-opportunities-and-challenges/

He replied with this:

I will give you three guesses as to who these inner city people are...

edit also, he isnt Catholic. Hes Eastern Orthodox. My bad.

Double edit: more fun

My source was using data from a Chicago suburb :shepicide:

Like you'd ever get this guy to read a book with this title, but Robert Fogelson wrote a pretty good book called Bourgeois Nightmares about how the whole genesis of the American suburb is rooted in fear of change and difference. Less than :10bux: on Amazon!

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 24, 2013

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

AShamefulDisplay posted:

To be fair I know a lot of rear end in a top hat atheists, so we should just call it a wash...

This is the weirdest response.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Catholics are pretty good about taking care of the poor and don't have the prosperity gospel as a doctrine. If he is a Catholic he isn't a very good one.

This is going a while back, but I face palmed so hard during a dinner with my family and their church friends when my mom started talking about how the Hispanics in the church don't contribute their fair share, take more than they give, and some comment about how they have F-250s or something.

It's weird being the most Christian-like when you denounced your faith years ago. Catholics don't get a pass, but I do like what the new Pope is doing to expose corruption.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Any of y'all's Facebooks blowing up with this thing yet? I've seen it 5 times on my feed just today, after having seen barely any GZ posts at all.

http://www.dlas.org/questions-zimmerman-verdict/

It's pretty shameful. I especially love the parts where it asks if you had seen pictures of that black kid Trayvon hey look at these pictures did you know by the way how scary of a black guy he is? Oh my god he's BLACK! Oh and Zimmerman totally has black friends.

I tried to take the quiz, but there are SO MANY QUESTIONS. Especially considering that the answer overall is pretty much determined by the first question (do you think Zimmerman was guilty or innocent).

Should just be click "yes" or "no" for that one. "Yes" leads you to a screen that says "drat straight" and "no" leads you to a screen that explains why you are the real racist.

TheGrizzle
Jul 3, 2007

KillerJunglist posted:

I tried to take the quiz, but there are SO MANY QUESTIONS. Especially considering that the answer overall is pretty much determined by the first question (do you think Zimmerman was guilty or innocent).

Should just be click "yes" or "no" for that one. "Yes" leads you to a screen that says "drat straight" and "no" leads you to a screen that explains why you are the real racist.

What pissed me off was how many bullshit leading and loaded questions there were.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Someone on my facebook comments on this. This is the most :smug: thing I've ever seen.(especially since it doesn't list one source)
http://www.daveramsey.com/blog/20-things-the-rich-do-every-day

quote:

1. 70% of wealthy eat less than 300 junk food calories per day. 97% of poor people eat more than 300 junk food calories per day. 23% of wealthy gamble. 52% of poor people gamble.

2. 80% of wealthy are focused on accomplishing some single goal. Only 12% of the poor do this.

3. 76% of wealthy exercise aerobically 4 days a week. 23% of poor do this.

4. 63% of wealthy listen to audio books during commute to work vs. 5% for poor people.

5. 81% of wealthy maintain a to-do list vs. 19% for poor.

6. 63% of wealthy parents make their children read 2 or more non-fiction books a month vs. 3% for poor.

7. 70% of wealthy parents make their children volunteer 10 hours or more a month vs. 3% for poor.

8. 80% of wealthy make hbd calls vs. 11% of poor

9. 67% of wealthy write down their goals vs. 17% for poor

10. 88% of wealthy read 30 minutes or more each day for education or career reasons vs 2% for poor.

11. 6% of wealthy say what’s on their mind vs. 69% for poor.

12. 79% of wealthy network 5 hours or more each month vs. 16% for poor.

13. 67% of wealthy watch 1 hour or less of TV. every day vs. 23% for poor

14. 6% of wealthy watch reality TV vs. 78% for poor.

15. 44% of wealthy wake up 3 hours before work starts vs.3% for poor.

16. 74% of wealthy teach good daily success habits to their children vs. 1% for poor.

17. 84% of wealthy believe good habits create opportunity luck vs. 4% for poor.

18. 76% of wealthy believe bad habits create detrimental luck vs. 9% for poor.

19. 86% of wealthy believe in life-long educational self-improvement vs. 5% for poor.

20. 86% of wealthy love to read vs. 26% for poor.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Amused to Death posted:

Someone on my facebook comments on this. This is the most :smug: thing I've ever seen.(especially since it doesn't list one source)

Honestly, you could rephrase most of that as "rich have free time because they arent loving poor."

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

And how does number 9 differ from number 5?

Coelacanthian
Dec 23, 2008
Has anyone else been seeing a bunch of anti-vaccine BS on their FB lately? A really sweet girl I know posted this today and goddamn I wanna just scream at her. I gently probed the issue with her and it sounds like it's an issue near and dear to her heart; she says she would love to talk with me about it sometime and I just know I'm gonna end up breaking her poor little heart. Ugh.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

LowellDND posted:

Honestly, you could rephrase most of that as "rich have free time because they arent loving poor."

Either that or "poo poo I just made up".

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

quote:

15. 44% of wealthy wake up 3 hours before work starts vs.3% for poor.

Why the gently caress would someone wake up three hours before work on a regular basis??

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Why the gently caress would someone wake up three hours before work on a regular basis??

Wealthy people get to go to work at noon :smug:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

The Midniter posted:

67% of rich people live drastically far away from where they work with little actual benefit, 83% of poor people live within a reasonable commuting distance because gently caress that poo poo.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Midniter posted:

That number's clearly bullshit (well, all of them are, what's the loving source for this screed?) because poor people are the ones working graveyard shift. I woke up 8 hours before work when my work started at 8 PM.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The rich aren't worried about weather or not they are going to have food/shelter/clothing and don't live paycheck to paycheck. That's what I got from that list.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

quote:

Finally.............It is Said Publicly. I have never seen the white side explained better!
Pat Buchanan had the guts to say it. It is about time!!

BUCHANAN TO OBAMA
By Patrick J. Buchanan

Barack says we need to have a conversation about race in America .. Fair enough. But this time, it has to be a two-way conversation.. White America needs to be heard from, not just lectured to.... This time, the Silent Majority needs to have its convictions, grievances and demands heard. And among them are these:

First, America has been the best country on earth for black folks. It was here that 600,000 black people, brought from Africa in slave ships, grew into a community of 40 million, were introduced to Christian salvation, and reached the greatest levels of freedom and prosperity blacks have ever known.. Jeremiah Wright ought to go down on his knees and thank God he is an American.

Second, no people anywhere has done more to lift up blacks than white Americans. Untold trillions have been spent since the '60s on welfare, food stamps, rent supplements, Section 8 housing, Pell grants, student loans, legal services, Medicaid, Earned Income Tax Credits and poverty programs designed to bring the African-American community into the mainstream. Governments, businesses and colleges have engaged in discrimination against white folks -- with affirmative action, contract set-asides and quotas -- to advance black applicants over white applicants. Churches, foundations, civic groups, schools and individuals all over America have donated their time and money to support soup kitchens, adult education, day care, retirement and nursing homes for blacks.
We hear the grievances. Where is the gratitude??

Barack talks about new 'ladders of opportunity' for blacks. Let him go to Altoona ? And Johnstown, and ask the white kids in Catholic schools how many were visited lately by Ivy League recruiters handing out scholarships for 'deserving' white kids...? Is white America really responsible for the fact that the crime and incarceration rates for African-Americans are seven times those of white America ? Is it really white America 's fault that illegitimacy in the African-American community has hit 70 percent and the black dropout rate from high schools in some cities has reached 50 percent?

Is that the fault of white America or, first and foremost, a failure of the black community itself?

As for racism, its ugliest manifestation is in interracial crime, and especially interracial crimes of violence. Is Barack Obama aware that while white criminals choose black victims 3 percent of the time, black criminals choose white victims 45 percent of the time?

Is Barack aware that black-on-white rapes are 100 times more common than the reverse, that black-on-white robberies were 139 times as common in the first three years of this decade as the reverse?

We have all heard ad nauseam from the Rev. Al about Tawana Brawley, the Duke rape case and Jena . And all turned out to be hoaxes. But about the epidemic of black assaults on whites that are real, we hear nothing.

Sorry, Barack, some of us have heard it all before, about 40 years and 40 trillion tax dollars ago. This needs to be passed around because, this is a message everyone needs to hear!!!

I'm for a better America…
I am
Not racist,
Not violent,
Just not silent anymore.

I keep looking at this on my cousin's Facebook and I dont even know where to start other than just calling him racist

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
No you're right it's just racist. Really no way to attack any of it without being forced to admit that.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Wait how can it be racist since it says right in there that's it's not? :confused:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Jesus my ears are ringing from that loud rear end dog whistle.

Just call him a racist and move on.

Coelacanthian
Dec 23, 2008

quote:

First, America has been the best country on earth for black folks. It was here that 600,000 black people, brought from Africa in slave ships, grew into a community of 40 million, were introduced to Christian salvation, and reached the greatest levels of freedom and prosperity blacks have ever known.. Jeremiah Wright ought to go down on his knees and thank God he is an American.

YOU'RE WELCOME, BLACK PEOPLE.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
I did some Googling in search of a source, but all I could find was this Yahoo Finance article linked on Mr. Corley's page.

quote:

Financial planner Tom Corley spent five years observing more than 350 “rich” and “poor” people, how they live, work and even sleep and captured them all in his book, "Rich Habits: The Daily Success Habits of Wealthy Individuals." He defined “wealthy” as earning at least $160,000 annually and holding at least $3.2 million in assets. “Poor” was income under $30,000 a year and less than $5,000 in assets.

He apparently chose some serious extremes. There's an indication that some (possibly all) of his data was self-reported, ("79% of low-income people admit to gossiping") and the sample size is imbalanced (233 wealthy to 128 poor - likely due to attrition). I'd also be curious how he selected his subjects, but that would require buying the book.

As for waking up early, well...

quote:

Corley found that rich folks often take advantage of those wee morning hours. Specifically, 44% wake up three hours before their 9-to-5 job. In those hours they focus on self improvement, reading educational material, like trade journals or industry blogs. They’ll squeeze in a workout, too, which Corley says leads to a more productive day at work.

It's easier to go to the gym when you've slept well, have a babysitter to watch the kids, and don't have 8+ grueling hours of manual labor ahead of you. :rolleyes:

Nyarai fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 24, 2013

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

quote:

Second, no people anywhere has done more to lift up blacks than white Americans.

oh pat

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
That's not even a dogwhistle, that's just straight blatant racism.

I honestly want to punch people in the mouth when they say blacks should be grateful for poverty programs. It's loving blood money for decades and decades of slavery.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The gist of it seems to be "It can't be racist to say blacks are inferior because it's just the truth"

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
If you have to sign a letter with "Not racist," you're probably racist. Normal people don't have that problem, you'll never see a note like "Bob- Be sure to buy milk, we're almost out. Not racist, Jim."

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Did anyone else develop a twitch in their eye as they got to the end of the first point? That isn't dogwhistle, that's full-on loving racist. "You blacks should be glad we wrecked your homeland in the 1500's, forced your ancestors to work under us and be treated like livestock, and have a whole host of problems to deal with even after you were freed, because Jesus!"

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

If you have to sign a letter with "Not racist," you're probably racist. Normal people don't have that problem, you'll never see a note like "Bob- Be sure to buy milk, we're almost out. Not racist, Jim."

I might start signing normal, every day things to my friends like that.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Amused to Death posted:

I had to write a response to this when I saw it pop up:

me posted:

Oh, so you re-published a list of things wealthy people have the time, money, and education to do, then mock the poor for not doing these things. You're an immensely privileged rear end who has probably never known what it's like to truly live paycheck to paycheck, trapped by wage slavery.

The ignorance here is astounding. The first line about how much junk food people eat- clearly you have no idea what it's like to eat poor or you'd realize that 'junk' (AKA low nutrition) food is a lot cheaper. Where I live, Milk is $3.79 a 2L compared to soda at about a buck a 2L. And that's just one of a dozen examples I can use to show 'junk' food is more affordable, heck even a necessity, to get by when you're poor.

I'm fully willing to admit I'm a privileged guy too- from a solidly middle/upper-middle class background. I follow a lot of these good habits, and maybe some of the bad too. But I've had the luck of having wonderful friends from all backgrounds, rich and poor, who have taught me a lot about different walks of life. And buddy, you clearly have no idea what it means to be poor, and ignorant of the social and cultural causes of poverty, as if 'wealthy' and 'poverty' are both starting points that exist ex nihilo and you only rise or fall on your own merits. Just world theory is not only heartless, it is bunk.

Chances are, if you were born wealthy, you had access to a great school system, good education, good health care, you were encouraged to volunteer, read, participate in extra curriculars, eat well, etc... Pick some or all of the above. You were encouraged to do these things because you had the ability to. And you're wondering why the 'poor' don't do these things when you have a mother working 65 hours a week between two jobs just to keep the lights and heat on? So maybe she can't spend as much time or money on her children to encourage them to have the same healthy habits and lifestyle, or even the time or money to improve her own lot in life?

Punching down at poor people makes the author of this list a huge bully, and you an ignorant one for reposting this tripe. You have no empathy and likely have only the most distorted, absolutely crazy idea in your head about poor people being the infamous 'welfare queens' Reagan rambled incoherently about (and was debunked countless times on).

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 24, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Poizen Jam posted:

I had to write a response to this when I saw it pop up:

Yeah well my parents grew up poor and worked their asses off so I could get all those nice things. Maybe those poors should bootstrap themselves like my family did. QED libtard :smug:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yeah well my parents grew up poor and worked their asses off so I could get all those nice things. Maybe those poors should bootstrap themselves like my family did. QED libtard :smug:

Not that it's at all relevant but technically this is true for me, except it was my grandparents- poor primary industry (fisheries/logging) workers with 13 kids on one side, and a street-living-kicked-out-of-his-home-at-16-train-hopping-thief of a grandfather on the other who eventually enlisted, worked hard, was sponsored to go back to school, got a commission, and eventually rose to the rank of Major as a nuclear safety officer.

The latter is a bit bootstrappy in some regards, but on the whole, they all did all this so their kids wouldn't have to, and none of them believe that anyone should have it as bad as they did to start with. I'm second generation middle class.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Magres posted:

That's not even a dogwhistle, that's just straight blatant racism.

Its some serious white man's burden there. Conveniently, everything that went wrong for blacks was and is their own fault, while everything that went well is given to them by grace of the Anglo Saxons.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Poizen Jam posted:

Not that it's at all relevant but technically this is true for me, except it was my grandparents- poor primary industry (fisheries/logging) workers with 13 kids on one side, and a street-living-kicked-out-of-his-home-at-16-train-hopping-thief of a grandfather on the other who eventually enlisted, worked hard, was sponsored to go back to school, got a commission, and eventually rose to the rank of Major as a nuclear safety officer.

The latter is a bit bootstrappy in some regards, but on the whole, they all did all this so their kids wouldn't have to, and none of them believe that anyone should have it as bad as they did to start with. I'm second generation middle class.

Not that I'm knocking the diligence of your forebearers but it's also worth noting that, as hardscrabble as life could be in the last century, the possibility of advancement was greater (for whites).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
White washing doesn't even scratch the surface of all of that "Not Racist, but" bullshit. God drat.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

"America has been the best country in the world for black people."

Best country in the world. For Black people. Best country. Black People.

There are no loving words. Has he literally never heard of lynching? I can at least see how a loving retard could go "HURR SLAVERY WASNT THAT BAD", but how can you say Blacks have never been better treated than they've been in the country that not even a hundred years ago made sport of literally frying black people on a spit and literally feeding them their goddamn balls.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

There are no loving words. Has he literally never heard of lynching? I can at least see how a loving retard could go "HURR SLAVERY WASNT THAT BAD", but how can you say Blacks have never been better treated than they've been in the country that not even a hundred years ago made sport of literally frying black people on a spit and literally feeding them their goddamn balls.

Wat. Source? Holy gently caress that is beyond demented.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

I am not a book posted:

This is the weirdest response.

Not raelly. Hes Eastern Orthodox upset that one of his coreligionists uses his religion to be an rear end in a top hat. I replied that my coreligionists can also use their (lack of) faith to be assholes.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
You should quote the part that says

quote:

Second, no people anywhere has done more to lift up blacks than white Americans. Untold trillions have been spent since the '60s on welfare, food stamps, rent supplements, Section 8 housing, Pell grants, student loans, legal services, Medicaid, Earned Income Tax Credits and poverty programs designed to bring the African-American community into the mainstream.

And say "I agree. These are all great things. I think we should expand them even more" because I'm sure that's what the intention of this article was :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

"Hey man, my ancestors didn't own slaves and nobody does that now stop trying to hold me responsible for things I never did."
- a thing people actually say