Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Essentially, the players should never get one, because they're meant to be super-duper-rare, centuries to construct, flagships of a sector, built only at the greatest forge world deals. A civilian in possession of one would probably be seen as a material threat to the stability of the region.

Off the top of my head, they should probably be about 120 Hull, 22 Armour, 4 turrets, speed 4, manoeuvrability -5, detection +10, space 100-110, SP 80-85.

Something like 1 Prow, 1 Dorsal, 3 Port, 3 Starboard slots? 3 or 4 void shields. Probably a bunch of bonuses against hit and runs and boarding actions due to the sheer size of it and redundant systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

It's not much, but in the back of the Only War rulebook there's conversion rules for turning Only War into Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Death Watch, and Black Crusade.

Huh, wasn't aware of that. Kinda neat though.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Asehujiko posted:

Are there any (decent) homebrew statblocks for Battleships for use in Rogue Trader anywhere?

There's the official Wurldbreaka in Edge of the Abyss. It is an Ork Battleship, of course, but it can serve as a decent base for what sort of size and arsenal a ship of this class should have.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

An RT getting a Battleship is like a Black Crusade character making it to Daemon Prince. It's the sort of thing that should be used as the goal of a campaign, and then probably enjoyed in one or two finale/epilogue sessions, because at the point where you're powerful and rich enough to acquire one, you've pretty much won at being a dynasty.

Now, if you intended for your players to fight one, perhaps as some kind of final boss to a long arc, that's a different story and they should definitely summon all their cunning, pluck, and ship-murder skill and have at it. As the others said, Da Wurldbreaka is a good template for how powerful a Battleship should be.

Zahrkon
Apr 2, 2010
Dark Reign seems to have some stated up here http://www.darkreign.org/content/ships-imperial-navy They also have stat blocks for space marine ships and a bunch of homebrew ship components there as well.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Night10194 posted:

An RT getting a Battleship is like a Black Crusade character making it to Daemon Prince. It's the sort of thing that should be used as the goal of a campaign, and then probably enjoyed in one or two finale/epilogue sessions, because at the point where you're powerful and rich enough to acquire one, you've pretty much won at being a dynasty.

Now, if you intended for your players to fight one, perhaps as some kind of final boss to a long arc, that's a different story and they should definitely summon all their cunning, pluck, and ship-murder skill and have at it. As the others said, Da Wurldbreaka is a good template for how powerful a Battleship should be.

I've never actually played a game of RT but I'm imagining somehow starting a campaign off with the RT really stupidly lucking his way into possession of one but having absolutely 0 way of supporting it. Then the rest of the game is basically just a constant series of misadventures getting rare (supersized) battleship parts to keep it (barely)working.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Not to mention all the people who will happily murder them to get their hands on the ship. Ranging from Chaos insurgents to the Sectoral Battlefleet itself.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
Well, getting a Battleship would be a badass reward for the culmination of a campaign. But we're talking about a "lead a crusade to reclaim the entire expanse and/or against a large alien empire" level of endgame.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 11, 2013

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Does anyone know of any good Deathwatch campaign AARs or reports? I'd very much like to read one.

Dershiva
Jun 8, 2001

My spoon is too big
Fun Shoe
So I've gotten back into running a Rogue Trader game, but I'm having some trouble with bad dudes for them to fight.

The RT book has just about nothing in the way of NPCs to throw at them. Is there a good resource for NPC generation and judging/scaling difficulty for fights?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Our OW game went... not as well as I'd hoped. The team gets sent to the resupply depot. I describe how the guardsmen there are all a little weird and eye them suspiciously, so they immediately go into adventurer-logic mode and assume everything is evil and out to get them. They park their Chimera in the depot's motor pool primed to gun it back outside at a moment's notice. They're greeted by the depot's commander and he has a lieutenant show the techpriest to the radio room where they're having problems. The lieutenant attacks and is killed by the techpriest, who finds signs of an earlier fight.

Meanwhile, outside, the squad is approached by a nervous guardsman. He tells them something's up with the base's garrison and that people outside the commander's chosen have been disappearing. He mentions his friend went to try to radio for assistance and never came back, and that only the commander's people are allowed in the warehouse. The squad moves to the radio room on foot.

The techpriest makes it back out and they regroup and share what they know and immediately decide to get the gently caress out of dodge. I realize that I hadn't prepared sufficient hooks to get them to investigate the warehouse, so I have a guard stealthily pass them an AA shell. They look it over and discover that it's been sabotaged - it will explode upon firing and render the AA gun inoperable - and that warehouse is full of them.

They mount up anyway and are met at the gate by the base's commander. The techpriest gives some BS about needing a particular part, the base commander replies that they do in fact have that particular (fictional) part, and he'll send for it from the warehouse. He convinces them to go into the warehouse to move the box from there to the radio room. The creepy warehouse crew brings up a big box and tells them to move it themselves to the radio room, but instead (thanks to their hyper-paranoid adventurer-logic) they open it up right there, and out pops a tyranid... thing. They kill it and break for the Chimera. As they're rolling out, the depot's commander meets them with a swarm of guards. A hectic fight breaks out, them trying to make it out of the base while being swarmed with and shot at by a mob of guardsmen.

I'd planned for them to investigate the warehouse and ultimately destroy the genestealer cult in charge there, but instead they turned tail and ran at the slightest hint of the enemy. We're coming from DH, so I think they're still in the mindset of "combat will kill you, avoid at all costs".

Not sure how to start next session either. There's an impending Tyranid invasion and their defenses are a lot weaker than they thought.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Maybe explain to them, or their PC comissar if they have one, in a tactful way that guardsmen aren't really meant to retreat in the face of an enemy.

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.
If there's an NPC in the group, such as a driver or something, have a Commissar execute him as an example.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

You might want to tell them, out of character, that guardsmen are tougher and deadlier than acolytes. Then give them a gentle reminder from the Commissariat that the Emperor expects as well as protects.

VVVVVVVVV
In that case, you have a doubly vested interest in having him drive them back. :v:

Ego Trip fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 15, 2013

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Marsol0 posted:

If there's an NPC in the group, such as a driver or something, have a Commissar execute him as an example.

The NPC driver was the character I rolled up to play when we rotated GMs :smithicide:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Or just have the Commissar get REALLY drat CLOSE to executing a PC. Guardsmen don't retreat in the face of danger, and they don't strategically withdraw to await for further instructions unless their orders are literally "Strategically withdraw to await for further instructions." Preferably signed and dated with the wax seal of their CO.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, I think that it's important to determine if this is a player error or character failure. If the player's were doing some mental math and figured that they were totally screwed to no benefit, then I think you need to talk to them about the differences in the systems and explain that you had designed an encounter they were capable of fighting through. If they realized that they could hack it and it was a case of the characters being all 'Nope, not happening' for whatever reason, then you settle it in the game.

Basically I think it's always a bad idea to try and handle OOC problems with IC solutions or vice versa.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Ashcans posted:

Yea, I think that it's important to determine if this is a player error or character failure. If the player's were doing some mental math and figured that they were totally screwed to no benefit, then I think you need to talk to them about the differences in the systems and explain that you had designed an encounter they were capable of fighting through. If they realized that they could hack it and it was a case of the characters being all 'Nope, not happening' for whatever reason, then you settle it in the game.

Basically I think it's always a bad idea to try and handle OOC problems with IC solutions or vice versa.

This is a really good point. I'm sure it's just the players not realizing the shift in game dynamics from DH. None of their characters have been characterized as cowards (one quite the opposite), so I'll start by laying out what OW is all about and stress how different it is from DH. Subtlety will get you nowhere in OW.

Anyway, that still leaves them 'strategically withdrawing' from the depot. They'd just made it into the Chimera and to the gate, but they've got half a dozen guardsmen/genestealer cultists and a trio of tyranid things hitching a ride when we had to call it a night. Not sure where to pick up after this.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Clanpot Shake posted:

This is a really good point. I'm sure it's just the players not realizing the shift in game dynamics from DH. None of their characters have been characterized as cowards (one quite the opposite), so I'll start by laying out what OW is all about and stress how different it is from DH. Subtlety will get you nowhere in OW.

Anyway, that still leaves them 'strategically withdrawing' from the depot. They'd just made it into the Chimera and to the gate, but they've got half a dozen guardsmen/genestealer cultists and a trio of tyranid things hitching a ride when we had to call it a night. Not sure where to pick up after this.

Pick up with them driving away with cultists hanging on for dear life and then introduce your new GMNPC, a Commissar who is more than willing to execute a couple Guardsmen for cowardice, as they arrive at their ship. Maybe have him give a rousing speech about dying for the Emperor. You could probably lift whole pages out of the Uplifting Primer.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Clanpot Shake posted:

Hey, if you really wanted to ram home the war thing, there's a military base that needs assaulting now. As the last 'recon group' to come back, they can have the honour of spearheading the assault by going ahead and using their intel to weaken the defences. Cynics might suggest they're being sent on a near-suicidal assault as a chance to redeem themselves rather than getting executed for cowardice, but cynicism is heresy.

Bonus: it means you don't waste the prep on the base, and they get to blow up an entire warehouse full of explosives with a demo pack (or basilisk bombardment flare or whatever).

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 15, 2013

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
The great thing about Only War is that, thanks to the new Comrade system, there's always an NPC that you should have no problem killing to make a point.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Dershiva posted:

So I've gotten back into running a Rogue Trader game, but I'm having some trouble with bad dudes for them to fight.

The RT book has just about nothing in the way of NPCs to throw at them. Is there a good resource for NPC generation and judging/scaling difficulty for fights?

Each of the lines has an 'enemies' book, there's also some random generators for aliens in I think the RT GM screen, something else and an array of random daemon generators.

In terms of balancing for fights, I mostly eyeball it. 5 warlocks with witchblades will murderise low level RT characters, unless they all bought X or Y as their starting acquisition, or the navigator goes eye of doom on them etc.

So, in essence, the array of stuff an RT can bring (my group dropped a couple of companies worth of troops down to secure their acquisitions on a recent 'plant flag, claim planet' trip and likewise the tough, powerful farseer I expected to be a challenging fight got one-shot by the Voidmaster when they made a last-minute change of plans and had her flying around in a guncutter) makes any comparison to the balancing you get in, say, 4e D&D impossible.

panzerbat
Jun 14, 2013

Talkie Toaster posted:

Hey, if you really wanted to ram home the war thing, there's a military base that needs assaulting now. As the last 'recon group' to come back, they can have the honour of spearheading the assault by going ahead and using their intel to weaken the defences. Cynics might suggest they're being sent on a near-suicidal assault as a chance to redeem themselves rather than getting executed for cowardice, but cynicism is heresy.

Spoken like a true Commisar.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Our Rogue Trader team can be horrible some times. Last session we
- sold a guy's soul to a demon (probably, we are not 100% sure whether it was a demon or not, but all signs point to yes). We also made a trading deal with him. He almost sold us a Halo Device but the people in the group who realized what it was went "Uh, hell no". We got Archeotech Juvenats and some minor artifacts instead. Still, pretty goddamn good stuff. Only our tech priest got any corruption, somehow, but he got a whopping ten.
- lured a small ork army to attack an Imperial mining outpost since we wanted to snatch that planet for ourselves by trying to show that the Rogue Trader that had a claim on that planet could not protect it properly, and we would be there to actually defend them by destroying the Ork Krooza (or whatever it was) while the Imperial forces dealth with the orks. We won the battle in space quite easily, crushing the ork ship. Problem is...
- ...the orks won the battle planetside, killing the majority of colonists and their defenders, despite their heavy defenses. Whoops.
- Well we scanned where the largest portion of them were and decided to try aerial bombardment. After several hours of misses that ended up destroying vast amounts of terrain near the mountain range the Orks were at, the Ork Kaptin figured out that we were trying to hit them and he evacuated with his nobs. After a couple more hours of shooting pretty much everywhere except at the largest concentration of orks our shooter missed so bad he hit the planet's moon, ripping a chunk out of it. Thankfully that fell on the orks, crushing the mountain range and causing a minor ice age! Too bad the ork warboss had already left with his nobs so while most of the orks are dead, their biggest, toughest and meanest nobs and the Kaptin himself are still alive.
- Now the planet is ours though, mostly thanks to the fact that almost everyone Imperial on the planet is dead. Still, there's still the small tiny problem of the heart of the Ork warband still being alive and kicking somewhere on the planet. And we have no idea where.

Rest of the session was mostly stocking up and hiring of mercenaries to go kill the last of the orks because a Warboss and Nobs are really loving tough opponents. We have a couple hundred conscripts, fifty trained mercs and twenty kroots, but I don't know if that's going to be enough against Kaptin and his nobs. Next session is going to be tough, though at least there are not going to be too many ork reinforcements born in the mean time thanks to the fact that we kinda sorta caused a minor ice age thanks to the giant rear end piece of moon hitting the planet. And by the way, the way we got the orks to attack the planet was trick them into chasing us there by mocking the Kaptin and calling him a pussy basically. So he's mad at us, more so than orks usually are. We also confused him by using big words when talking to him.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
In hindsight, a Tau Fire Warrior infected with the Obliterator virus was a tad much for my players at this point in the game, even if he was intended as a boss fight... :supaburn:

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Cythereal posted:

In hindsight, a Tau Fire Warrior infected with the Obliterator virus was a tad much for my players at this point in the game, even if he was intended as a boss fight... :supaburn:

That's a nice mix up, but yeah it's going to hurt.

I'm prevaricating on statting for a warp travel encounter.

Deserted transport ship, crew all dead save for the navigator who's locked himself in his navis chambers, eating through his supplies (it's been terrible, I ran out of goga berries 3 months ago).
The ship had the rest of the life support shut down meaning everything's covered in frost and bodies are still knocking around.
The curveball being that the Navigator is possessed.

I'm unsure whether to just work up a navigator and stack daemonhost from Dark Heresy onto it or something else. If I go straight down the general idea (Navigator got possessed, astropath failed to exorcise but that might have acted as a single binding for daemonhost type shenanigans) then he'd be running at Psi Rating 8.
Other alternative is to just stick a daemon on it.

It's intended to be a heavy atmosphere/horror scenario, turning into a desperate fight (assuming they don't just bring him back abord their own ship, in which case whelp, bad poo poo will happen to their crew).

They can end up with a second ship out of it (they have a half-broken down Repulsive GC at the moment), so I wanted a memorable acquisition for the chance of getting a second ship and starting to build towards a fleet.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Glitch the Gellar Field.

Have it up, but occasionally flickering so that sudden, weird changes can happen around them.

Dershiva
Jun 8, 2001

My spoon is too big
Fun Shoe

PST posted:

Each of the lines has an 'enemies' book, there's also some random generators for aliens in I think the RT GM screen, something else and an array of random daemon generators.
Yeah, between me and the dude who GMs 95% of the time we have just about every book and there is plenty of great stuff in them. It's just that the group is still in a just-fighting-regular-humans part of the opening of the campaign and I was hoping for something to help with that.

I thing I've ginned something up, but it's hard to test it when you forget that the party loves Krak grenades, which turned the [this will be an awesome aerial chase with lots of gunfire] encounter into a [man, the explosion of their vehicle really shook those bad guys up, guess we can kill them now] encounter.

It doesn't help that all my enemy NPCs have been rolling The Worst™: extra critical failure on missile launcher guy leads to ammo stockpile exploding and eliminating a third of an encounter. Meanwhile the players and allied NPCs have been rolling The Best: NPC pilot with Heavy Bolter gets 5 hits, 4 of which crit, against enemy transport, which (using the OW rules) leads to the pilot getting knocked out and thus auto-failing the out of control check and crashing & blowing up 40 stories below, eliminating another third of the encounter.

PST posted:

In terms of balancing for fights, I mostly eyeball it. 5 warlocks with witchblades will murderise low level RT characters, unless they all bought X or Y as their starting acquisition, or the navigator goes eye of doom on them etc.

So, in essence, the array of stuff an RT can bring (my group dropped a couple of companies worth of troops down to secure their acquisitions on a recent 'plant flag, claim planet' trip and likewise the tough, powerful farseer I expected to be a challenging fight got one-shot by the Voidmaster when they made a last-minute change of plans and had her flying around in a guncutter) makes any comparison to the balancing you get in, say, 4e D&D impossible.
Yep. I know that once my players get a hold of their actual ship that it's just a matter of time until a Lance Strike is used as a form of ground based conflict resolution.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PST posted:

Five out of the seven PCs dead. >_> The gist of this plot is an Obliterator virus epidemic in the underhive set loose when a Tau covert ops cadre seeking to destabilize the hive world broke open an Adeptus Mechanicus vault buried beneath the hive where the AdMech sealed away a failed attempt to cure the Obliterator virus.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Dershiva posted:

Yeah, between me and the dude who GMs 95% of the time we have just about every book and there is plenty of great stuff in them. It's just that the group is still in a just-fighting-regular-humans part of the opening of the campaign and I was hoping for something to help with that.

I thing I've ginned something up, but it's hard to test it when you forget that the party loves Krak grenades, which turned the [this will be an awesome aerial chase with lots of gunfire] encounter into a [man, the explosion of their vehicle really shook those bad guys up, guess we can kill them now] encounter.

It doesn't help that all my enemy NPCs have been rolling The Worst™: extra critical failure on missile launcher guy leads to ammo stockpile exploding and eliminating a third of an encounter. Meanwhile the players and allied NPCs have been rolling The Best: NPC pilot with Heavy Bolter gets 5 hits, 4 of which crit, against enemy transport, which (using the OW rules) leads to the pilot getting knocked out and thus auto-failing the out of control check and crashing & blowing up 40 stories below, eliminating another third of the encounter.
Yep. I know that once my players get a hold of their actual ship that it's just a matter of time until a Lance Strike is used as a form of ground based conflict resolution.

Use a DM screen and fudge rolls then. It's what I do. I make things just hard enough so the PCs start to contemplate their short, violent lives and then they ultimately triumph. 'Aww poo poo, an 82? I mean, 28? Rolling up some extra hits!'

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't really like fudging rolls, but an easy way to deal with difficulty stuff is to make sure people are using Fate points. For a long while I was playing it safe and my players almost never had to use their Fate points. Then I decided to ramp stuff up and reminded them that their Fate would refresh each session. It allowed me to throw rougher things at them without getting them flattened right off. And if you accidentally go too heavy and do pancake someone, that is what burning fate is for - if you feel like it happened because of your mistake, you can always reward them with an additional point at the end of scene/etc.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Ashcans posted:

I don't really like fudging rolls, but an easy way to deal with difficulty stuff is to make sure people are using Fate points. For a long while I was playing it safe and my players almost never had to use their Fate points. Then I decided to ramp stuff up and reminded them that their Fate would refresh each session. It allowed me to throw rougher things at them without getting them flattened right off. And if you accidentally go too heavy and do pancake someone, that is what burning fate is for - if you feel like it happened because of your mistake, you can always reward them with an additional point at the end of scene/etc.

Oh yeah. I use those too, it's not all fudging rolls, but sometimes I fudge so they use Fate points/bennies and it makes everything that comes after more real to them now that they have no safety net.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Dark Heresy 2nd Ed. My prayers are answered.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4265

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

PST posted:

I'm prevaricating on statting for a warp travel encounter.

Deserted transport ship, crew all dead save for the navigator who's locked himself in his navis chambers, eating through his supplies (it's been terrible, I ran out of goga berries 3 months ago).
The ship had the rest of the life support shut down meaning everything's covered in frost and bodies are still knocking around.
The curveball being that the Navigator is possessed.

I'm unsure whether to just work up a navigator and stack daemonhost from Dark Heresy onto it or something else. If I go straight down the general idea (Navigator got possessed, astropath failed to exorcise but that might have acted as a single binding for daemonhost type shenanigans) then he'd be running at Psi Rating 8.
Other alternative is to just stick a daemon on it.

It's intended to be a heavy atmosphere/horror scenario, turning into a desperate fight (assuming they don't just bring him back abord their own ship, in which case whelp, bad poo poo will happen to their crew).

They can end up with a second ship out of it (they have a half-broken down Repulsive GC at the moment), so I wanted a memorable acquisition for the chance of getting a second ship and starting to build towards a fleet.

What kind of Explorers are your players that they wouldn't just kill the Navigator as soon as they met him?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

S.J. posted:

This is the best god damned news I've had all day.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

S.J. posted:

*throws entire shelf of DH line into the trash*

Time to start all over, boys. :clint:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I had a minute and a half of edition rage and then realized I was really excited for this.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I doubt the supplements will be invalidated, I just want them to overhaul the poo poo outa the main book.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They've said it will not be compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

moths posted:

They've said it will not be compatible.

Pfft. It's the exact same core system. You'll be able to use them. I'm talking about monsters/adventures specifically here though not the character stuff.