Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think there's still anomalies. As recently as 2009 I rented a little shitbox Kia in Utah and it had manual windows, manual locks, manual mirrors... and satellite radio. :wtf:

I own a 2013 Mazda 3 with manual locks and satellite radio (power windows).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I was going to say maybe the sat radio was a deal they had with the rental company as a way to entice people to sign up in their regular car. But if you own one.... ???

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
You've all heard of Google's research into autonomous driving, yes? Cadillac and Mercedes each have concrete plans to put a basic version of that technology (intended for highways and bumper-to-bumper traffic) into actual production cars that people will be able to actually buy (this fall, in the case of Mercedes):

http://www.slashgear.com/cadillac-super-cruise-self-driving-cars-hit-the-road-but-not-the-showroom-yet-29279748/

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/161832-2014-mercedes-s-class-review-the-best-most-technologically-advanced-car-you-will-ever-drive

The Mercedes system requires that drivers not take their hands off the wheel for more than 15 seconds at a time (presumably to avoid liability issues from people placing too much trust in their technology). I wonder if someone will try to find a way to defeat whatever sensor they're using for that.

Here's to hoping the technology will trickle down to non-luxury brands in a timely manner (5th gen Prius, perhaps?).

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
this is what I thought would happen. We'll have driverless in all but name due to a handful of "assist" systems that will either require basic input from the driver like touching a pedal (bmw) or something like the merc where you have to be at attention in case a system fails. Then in like 20 years they'll get around to "officially" making them legal and then 20 more years and they'll be mandatory.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Xguard86 posted:

I was going to say maybe the sat radio was a deal they had with the rental company as a way to entice people to sign up in their regular car. But if you own one.... ???

No, Kia has Sirius in all of its car models standard.

You can technically get a base LX Rio which would still have manual windows and no key fob or bluetooth. Its not fleet only, but Kia doesn't make a whole lot of them. They only exist so they can say they offer a Rio model for under $15k while the lowest package typically available retails for about $17k.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Devyl posted:

Weird enough, one time I was getting a small rental car from Enterprise for the weekend. Turns out they ran out of small cars so I wound up with a fully-loaded F-150 with only 39 miles on it. For the price of the small car. The truck was really nice and it made me want one. The only problem is the city I was using it in had some narrow-rear end roads and I felt like I was driving a tank down a bike path.

FYI, this was done because no one rents trucks on a regular basis and any vehicle sitting on a lot not rented costs the company money. It's easier for them to offer a "free upgrade" and put you in a truck which most likely rides if not worse, than as poorly as a compact car, than have you sit in their office and wait for someone to return a car (which may not even be the compact you reserved, but a mid, full-size, or luxury car that they'd then be obligated to give you).

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

sanchez posted:

US median household income is higher than just about anywhere, a handful of countries in western europe and australia beat it, not much else...

This is also ruining the new car thread

Yeah, last comment on this, honest. We can drag this to a political thread or PM if anyone wants to continue talking about it.

US median cost of living is also higher than just about anywhere.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Xguard86 posted:

this is what I thought would happen. We'll have driverless in all but name due to a handful of "assist" systems that will either require basic input from the driver like touching a pedal (bmw) or something like the merc where you have to be at attention in case a system fails. Then in like 20 years they'll get around to "officially" making them legal and then 20 more years and they'll be mandatory.

So I should try to die in the next 40 years? Neat.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Sinestro posted:

So I should try to die in the next 40 years? Neat.

This is why I smoke.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Don't worry, you could probably still drive yourself on the retirement home's private property.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Suspension walkaround for the new Corvette:
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-z51-suspension-walkaround.html
Nothing really that different from the last gen, so maybe all the handling magic really is down to that diff.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

Suspension walkaround for the new Corvette:
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-z51-suspension-walkaround.html
Nothing really that different from the last gen, so maybe all the handling magic really is down to that diff.

They've got their full test out too.

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/corvette-stingray/2014/road-test.html

0-60: 4.1 sec
60-0: 93 ft
1/4 mile: 12.0 sec/117.3mph
Skidpad: 1.08G
Slalom: 72.8 mph

0-60 with a rollout was 3.8 seconds.

:fap:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Xguard86 posted:

Half the rentals I seem to get these days have expired SatRad. Which is why I carry an AUX cable in my travel backpack. When theres no Sat and no USB/AUX input I go crazy.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

fknlo posted:

Alright, I'm gonna pay off my main car, then immediately start searching for used C7's. I'm just gonna buy the first one I see for around $30k and sell my C5. I realize that won't be for several years, but it'll be fun to torture myself looking at all the 40-50k ones for the next several years.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The new Corvette looks like the best one relative to its competition since, what, 1965?

That was when you could get a C2 with (deep breath) fully independent suspension, 4 wheel vented disc brakes, limited slip differential, fully synchronized transmission, lightweight alloy wheels, and fuel injection in a 3,200lb car in nineteen-sixty-goddamn-five.

Instead of being "fast but kinda half-assed" it looks like it's just plain great, period.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
The Corvette isn't the only impressive car Chevrolet is shipping: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2013/07/2014-chevrolet-impala-highest-scoring-sedan-consumer-reports/index.htm

quote:

2014 Chevrolet Impala is Consumer Reports' highest-scoring sedan
Published: July 25, 2013 06:00 AM

With the release of our latest road tests, the 2014 Chevrolet Impala becomes the highest-scoring sedan in Consumer Reports’ ratings. Among all cars, its 95-point score falls short of just the Tesla Model S ultra-luxury hatchback (99) and BMW 1 Series coupe (97). No other domestic car has topped the sedans ratings since we began tracking scores in that fashion over 20 years ago.

Consumer Reports’ engineers found the Impala rides like a luxury sedan, with a cushy and controlled demeanor, while delivering surprisingly agile handling, capable acceleration, and excellent braking. The Impala corners quite well for a large car, with prompt turn-in response and controlled body lean. Steering is nicely weighted; it’s light enough for parking maneuvers and provides decent feedback. When pushed to its handling limits, the Impala proved secure, responsive, balanced, and easy to control.

Inside, the spacious cabin sets a new standard for Chevrolet fit and finish, with generally high-quality materials and trim. The backseat is roomy and comfortable, the trunk is huge, and controls are refreshingly intuitive and easy to use. The 22 mpg overall Consumer Reports measured with the Impala’s 3.6-liter V6 engine and six-speed automatic transmission is competitive, but it’s not the best in its class.

Despite its high test score, this Impala is too new for Consumer Reports to have reliability data, so it can’t be Recommended. To be Recommended, a vehicle must perform well in CR’s battery of tests, have average or better reliability in CR’s Annual Auto Survey, and perform well in government and industry crash tests.

Along with the Impala, complete road tests were published online for the Acura RLX, Hyundai Santa Fe, Kia Sorrento, and Jaguar XF.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
What the heck is the Corvette's competition nowadays? Viper moved up to $100k territory, Porsche 911 moved out 25 years ago, Cayman/Boxster I guess a bit but not really so that leaves uh...small block Miata conversions? I'm not counting stuff like BRZ's, STI's, M3's or even top tier Mustangs/Camaros - they just seem in entirely different segments than Corvette.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 25, 2013

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

'vettes have always kinda had their own segment. Either you're "saving" money by buying one instead of a 100k car or you're splurging for one over like a mustang or Z car.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Keyser S0ze posted:

What the heck is the Corvette's competition nowadays? Viper moved up to $100k territory, Porsche 911 moved out 25 years ago, Cayman/Boxster I guess a bit but not really so that leaves uh...small block Miata conversions? I'm not counting stuff like BRZ's, STI's, M3's or even top tier Mustangs/Camaros - they just seem in entirely different segments than Corvette.

I think the 370Z car or Boxster S is the closest comparison, or how much does a Jag F-type cost?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

'vettes have always kinda had their own segment. Either you're "saving" money by buying one instead of a 100k car or you're splurging for one over like a mustang or Z car.

I think this was true going back to the 1960s when the Corvette first became a credible sports car instead of a fiberglass tub with a 2 speed automatic and the I-6 out of a base Bel Air or whatever.

e: It's probably more accurate to say that the Corvette is closer to delivering on the promise of really giving you more car for less money, instead of something that's comparable on paper but kind of not really.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 25, 2013

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Weinertron posted:

I think the 370Z car or Boxster S is the closest comparison, or how much does a Jag F-type cost?

a 370 is cheaper, unless you're going nuts with the nismo catalog I guess. Porsche is always misleading because every car has 10k in options so its sort of comparable but the second you check any box its going to shoot up like 20 grand. the Jag is ~ 75k so still more expensive.

You're either paying less or more than any real competitor.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Weinertron posted:

That’s kind of the point, price wise they're sort of in the same ball park but performance wise it’s not even close. A Cayman R for example will hit 0-60 in 4.7s, 1/4 mile in 12.5 @ 110mph, and according to C&D's lighting lap got around the VIR grand west course in 3:03.9 The C7 vette managed to circulate VIR grand in 2:51.8, does the 1/4 in 12.0 @ 119mph, and 0-60 in 3.9s and the cayman R is the most hopped up of the boxter/cayman line.

The Corvette has been a great performance value for a long time. Now that they've made the interior nice it’s that much more enticing.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

davebo posted:

Alright, I'm gonna pay off my main car, then immediately start searching for used C7's. I'm just gonna buy the first one I see for around $30k and sell my C5. I realize that won't be for several years, but it'll be fun to torture myself looking at all the 40-50k ones for the next several years.

The C7 is definitely going to be on my list when I start shopping for my fun car. Can't wait to see one in person.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

fknlo posted:

That's $200k supercar performance. What an amazing car.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
But you can push in the rear fascia with your fingers...Because thats an indicator of, something.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

angryhampster posted:

and god knows what sort of performance it will have when the next z06/zr1 comes out.

I'm already budgeting to pay my 2011 grand sport off early and how much it will cost me to get into my ideal c7 z51. Should be able to do it around 2016.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mighty Horse posted:

But you can push in the rear fascia with your fingers...Because thats an indicator of, something.

I can't wait for the LOL PUSHRODS AND LEAF SPRINGS poo poo talk about $55k cars that run 12.0 second 1/4 miles, get 30 MPG on the highway and pull 1.1G. :jerkbag:

e: I hope somebody writes a 2014 Corvette review something like this one from 1965. :chord:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 26, 2013

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

blah blah blah inflation I know but I chuckled:

quote:

After all, the Ferrari and the Aston Martin cost over $12,000,

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

sean10mm posted:

e: I hope somebody writes a 2014 Corvette review something like this one from 1965. :chord:

That was awesome, I can't believe I haven't seen it before.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

sean10mm posted:

I can't wait for the LOL PUSHRODS AND LEAF SPRINGS poo poo talk about $55k cars that run 12.0 second 1/4 miles, get 30 MPG on the highway and pull 1.1G. :jerkbag:

I love how this dumb metric has been around for so long:

quote:

One hundred more horsepower than the 250/GT? Sixty-eight more than the Aston Martin? That all may be true, but consider the vast advantage the Corvette has in cubic inches. Let's talk in terms of engine efficiency. The Ferrari produces 1.36 horsepower per cubic inch, the Aston Martin gives 1.6 hp per cubic inch and the Corvette 1.072 horsepower per cubic inch. See what we told you?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Cream_Filling posted:

I love how this dumb metric has been around for so long:

I love how even the author of that review knew it was dumb even back then.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Quick someone tweet that to Jeremy Clarkson.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

angryhampster posted:

I thought a GT-R was just under $100k?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

dissss posted:

I thought a GT-R was just under $100k?

I'll just go ahead and reductio ad absurdum this silly derail by mentioning that even the nuttiest BMW superbike (launch control, traction control, ABS, semi-active electronic suspension etc etc) is under 20 grand, other cheaper bikes are almost as capable, and those extra tens of thousands of dollars buy plenty of protective race gear and rain suits

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'll just go ahead and reductio ad absurdum this silly derail by mentioning that even the nuttiest BMW superbike (launch control, traction control, ABS, semi-active electronic suspension etc etc) is under 20 grand, other cheaper bikes are almost as capable, and those extra tens of thousands of dollars buy plenty of protective race gear and rain suits

I would like my go-fast to carry a passenger and some luggage. And keep me cool in summer. And have a usable stereo.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
The Audi TT RS comes pretty close to those numbers and is only ~$60,000.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Devyl posted:

The Audi TT RS comes pretty close to those numbers and is only ~$60,000.

Yeah but it still looks like someone sat on a Beetle.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

davebo posted:

Yeah but it still looks like someone sat on a Beetle.

Yeah, the new Corvette looks amazing. I showed a picture of it to a friend in red and he thought it was a Ferrari. I'm seriously considering buying a Corvette, something I never imagined I would do.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

And that new AMG A45(?) looks stupid capable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

G-Mach posted:

Quick someone tweet that to Jeremy Clarkson.

In fairness to the old ham he also named the ZR1 car if the year in his newspaper column.

What's amazing isn't that the new Vette puts up those numbers, but that it's apparently so much better as an all around car. It appears to just be super well thought through top to bottom when past models often sort of weren't.