Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Verman posted:

In any league I've played in its an automatic stopped play for safety sake. The guy who took the shot after the helmet came off deserved to get hit.

Damned right.

There are few things more dangerous than firing a slapshot at an unprotected guy's head. I just don't see how any league could believe othewise in 2013. The only argument that _could_ be made is that goalies might 'lose' their mask on purpose. Any goalie that takes advantage of the "Stop play immediately, you morons" aspects of this should get at least a game misconduct for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Did the official notice the goaltender's mask missing? If so, This is the sort of thing a league director should be made aware of, I think. Missing an offsides call, this ain't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

oddIXIbbo posted:

Damned right.

There are few things more dangerous than firing a slapshot at an unprotected guy's head. I just don't see how any league could believe othewise in 2013. The only argument that _could_ be made is that goalies might 'lose' their mask on purpose. Any goalie that takes advantage of the "Stop play immediately, you morons" aspects of this should get at least a game misconduct for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Did the official notice the goaltender's mask missing? If so, This is the sort of thing a league director should be made aware of, I think. Missing an offsides call, this ain't.

I don't think he noticed during the play, we only had 1 ref for the game so he wasn't really ever in a good position. If we had a 2nd ref it probably would have been an immediate whistle. This is also the ref who lets fighting go in the higher leagues at another rink he works at in the area.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

dms666 posted:

So what's the rule about playing when a goalie loses their helmet? Ours did tonight for a good 10 seconds and was laying on the ground while someone on the other team skated the puck in and took two shots, with the third one going in. Someone on our team knocked him over if that matters.

e: Knocked our own goalie over that is.

I have about 8 penalty minutes in my beer league career, but I would most definitely sock that dude in the face.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

dms666 posted:

I don't think he noticed during the play, we only had 1 ref for the game so he wasn't really ever in a good position. If we had a 2nd ref it probably would have been an immediate whistle. This is also the ref who lets fighting go in the higher leagues at another rink he works at in the area.

If I were a beer league ref, I wouldn't step foot towards a fight because hey I'm not getting paid enough to deal with a bunch of dick swinging try hards who feel like pounding eachothers face in while playing a game.

Although refs that don't take action and precaution against it before hand can only blame themselves for games getting out of hand in most cases.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Verman posted:

If I were a beer league ref, I wouldn't step foot towards a fight because hey I'm not getting paid enough to deal with a bunch of dick swinging try hards who feel like pounding eachothers face in while playing a game.

Although refs that don't take action and precaution against it before hand can only blame themselves for games getting out of hand in most cases.

Well I mean more so that every other rink you will get suspended for fighting as long as the ref reports it, but there are usually at least 5 fights a game every week in that upper league, since there are no consequences.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I don't think I could defend a teammate who intentionally took a clapper at a mask-less goalie. That could be fatal, and the offender pretty much deserves to have their rear end beat.

In other news: I'd forgotten what a 9pm Sunday game feels like. I've got a caffeine drop going on right now. On the plus side, I got some good advice to switch hand position on my face-offs, which dramatically improved my face-off win percentage to something like 10% :feelsgood:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So the team that won the Colorado pond hockey tournament made a Go Pro video. They were the first team we played against and we gave up 38 goals. There's about a minute of footage of us getting schooled starting @ 2:15. There's one clip where our whole team just parts and lets the dude skate down the middle and score. I'm #19.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSj3Fiw80Ko

In other news, I got named A for one of my teams. Get ready for more chirping, Topo :unsmigghh:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I took a slapper to the nipple and no one stopped the play, goalies should just deal with it. :colbert:

But no that's pretty bad and I don't know why anyone would take a shot at a goalie without a helmet

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

I took a slapper to the nipple and no one stopped the play, goalies should just deal with it. :colbert:

But no that's pretty bad and I don't know why anyone would take a shot at a goalie without a helmet

Beer league is serious business and goals must be scored at all costs. :v:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

In other news, I got named A for one of my teams. Get ready for more chirping, Topo :unsmigghh:

What's up, fellow A :smug::respek::smug:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

I'm pretty much unable to ref this year (the ref seminar is almost certainly going to be during one of my tough rotations) so talk to someone else!

I got asked to C again for the tournament we're playing in in August, but I actually turned it down because I'm tempting fate to even say I can make more than half of the games for the tournament. I'm on a notoriously lovely clinical rotation that weekend where we have weekend duties and are at the whim of the residents and attendings. Gonna try to see if one of my classmates will cover any patients I have and sneak out the back door with my gear. :haw:

Verman posted:

That's about right. I'll skate up and be like "come on boys, settle down, we all gotta go to work tomorrow" or whatever, but I'm not putting myself at risk for that poo poo.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 23, 2013

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

Verman posted:

About the only time I've gone gung-ho into a fight (to stop it) was when I was reffing an E-level game and some ringer took a huge exception when a guy who could barely skate fell in front of him, tripping him, and stopping a breakaway. Granted, the ringer almost did a full front flip - but that's what happens when you play down. The ringer got 3 games for that.

I find a tap to the back of their skate with mine while I'm holding onto their shoulder generally settles things down really quickly if it's getting out of hand.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Be careful with any of that. The liability of those actions is pretty severe if they were to hurt themselves. And if anyone had video of it, that would be pretty bad.

It is safer all around to stay out of it unfortunately.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

quote:

To All Involved:

Most, if not all you, already know we have had some major mechanical issues over the past several weeks. This started in early May, with a small leak in the Rink A floor. Once that was successfully repaired, we had other issues that we have not been able to repair. At this point, It has been determined that the needed repairs will not be able to be completed in time for the upcoming season. To avoid a devastating loss of one of our rinks for this fall, the City of Nashville and Metro Parks has contracted Ice Rink Events, who specializes in portable and temporary ice rinks.

Starting this week, they will be installing a system that will go over our existing slab. This system will provide us with the ability to operate as planned for the 2013-14 season. We are going to operate both rinks this way. Some of the problems with our chiller plant could cause the same issues on rink B. We cannot risk that happening during the busy season.

After both temporary systems are in place, we will begin plans for permanent repairs. This will require major renovations and we could be closed for most of the summer of 2014. This is not confirmed yet, but plans will have to be in place several months in advance for a project of this magnitude. We will post updates to our web page as information becomes available.

During the past 3 months, we have had numerous unavoidable schedule changes and cancelations. We are truly sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.

Sincerely,

Frank Wright

Ice Arena Manager

:ohdear: The new rink in Nashville isn't supposed to be open until maybe August/September 2014 :(

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

YOU FUCKERS WANNA GO?

On a serious note I totally lost my cool at pickup this weekend, and I'm thoroughly embarrassed. I was having a lovely game, got a good 2 on 1 break in finally, went to rotate to get my forehand square and my skate kicked out from under me and I wiped out hard missing the puck and falling on my head. I got up and threw my stick across the zone and then threw it on the bench. The game just seems to hate me sometimes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I scored with 57 seconds left in our game last night to make it 1-1 and send it to a shootout. We lost, but with the loser point, we're only 1 point away from clinching first place seed for the playoffs.

Pretty crazy game. Shots ended up being 42-41, so both goalies got peppered. It was probably the closest and most even game we've played all season.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

Fingers McGee posted:

YOU FUCKERS WANNA GO?

On a serious note I totally lost my cool at pickup this weekend, and I'm thoroughly embarrassed. I was having a lovely game, got a good 2 on 1 break in finally, went to rotate to get my forehand square and my skate kicked out from under me and I wiped out hard missing the puck and falling on my head. I got up and threw my stick across the zone and then threw it on the bench. The game just seems to hate me sometimes.

Now I'm sorry I didn't go to Sat. night's game. That would have been funny to see :D

Seriously though, I feel your pain. I hate when nothing seems to go right and I feel like a complete idiot and oh god why do I even try...Being the beginner that I am I should be happy with just staying on my feet during a pick up game but ugh. Just remember that even if you have a horrible horrible skate that someone's still worse than you! (this guy).

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Just remember, people make dumb plays all the time so its common to see someone miss a pass, fan on a shot, or fall over their own feet and people forget about it nearly instantly. Its when someone gets so embarrassed and loses their cool is when people remember "oh hey do you remember that dude that missed a breakout pass, flipped out and threw his stick?" I know a lot of people beat themselves up over small stuff because they just want to get better, but everyone knows thats part of the game and its sort of just general understanding that its going to happen from time to time.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Yea I need to relax and be more loose, I always play better that way. When I get angry and try to make every play it gets worse.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

drat you assholes, I only needed like two more wraps. :argh:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Played an inline game last night and got hit twice in a no hit league. Or goalie is pretty bad and lets every long low shot go by.

I got four goals and we ended with seven but the other team had ten. Sucks rear end to have such a good game and still lose because our goalie plays without using his legs.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
People who hit in inline games are the WORST. That's all I really have to say about the subject. I do enjoy how they end up as a complete gongshow usually though, and I feel like it puts an emphasis on stickhandling which has helped me a lot in ice games. I wish there were more inline leagues around where I am. Any NoVA/DC goons play in an inline league? I've heard ok things about Dulles Sportsplex. I used to play at The Box in Chantilly but it closed down.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

20% off clearance items at Hockey Monkey with coupon code JULYBF20.
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/clearance.html

I just ordered a bunch of clearance poo poo earlier this week too :doh:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

20% off clearance items at Hockey Monkey with coupon code JULYBF20.
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/clearance.html

I just ordered a bunch of clearance poo poo earlier this week too :doh:

I'm seriously tempted to buy another clearance Widow but I don't really need it :sigh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Law of the internet, for anything to go on sale a goon has to buy it at full price first.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

xzzy posted:

Law of the internet, for anything to go on sale a goon has to buy it at full price first.

Looks like someone has been lurking around the camera threads.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Oh man I'm totally gonna get some new gloves and elbow pads.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had my finger on a pair of bauers, but the only 14" they have in 4-roll are red. :barf:

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Tron has around 10 different wheels for $1.50 each today
http://www.hockeytron.com/e-mail-2013-07-26/

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Anyone feel like taking a trip to Norway with gear so I can buy without having to pay for shipping? (No, I won't pay for your trip)

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Ok, so I joked with my team's captain about playing center last week and he said he'd consider it. Now I'm slotted as 2C and have only somewhat of an idea as to what the heck I have gotten into. Any pointers? I usually play left wing.
My idea of center is more or less filling in where the wingers or defense aren't at and directing the play. We play a zone system so it shouldn't be too hard as long as I skate my rear end off and get to the puck?

Also, faceoffs. I took 1 last week and was kinda caught off on what to do. Like, I know what to do, but when to put each part together and the mechanics is a lot harder than it seems!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Best thing I've found with faceoffs is to watch the puck in the refs hand, and try and guess when hes going to drop it and hopefully get the jump on the other guy.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If I were DC's size I'd try to sweep around and use my body to block the center and kick the puck back to my D.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Ok, so I joked with my team's captain about playing center last week and he said he'd consider it. Now I'm slotted as 2C and have only somewhat of an idea as to what the heck I have gotten into. Any pointers? I usually play left wing.
My idea of center is more or less filling in where the wingers or defense aren't at and directing the play. We play a zone system so it shouldn't be too hard as long as I skate my rear end off and get to the puck?

Also, faceoffs. I took 1 last week and was kinda caught off on what to do. Like, I know what to do, but when to put each part together and the mechanics is a lot harder than it seems!

I've played center the past two weeks, and the way I've been taught is that in the defensive zone you tail the puck in a support role so that if one of your defensive players gets beat, you can wade in and help out. You can also be second guy in the slot if they're stacking up guys in front of your goalie. For the offensive zone my coaches only teach F1, F2, F3 so being a center doesn't really matter.. all that matters is how close to the puck you are.

As for faceoffs, I had my best success when I watch the puck and grip the stick as hard as I can because the other guy almost always seems to want to slap the stick out of my hands. As for the technique itself, I was taught to put the stick on the ice in the white, and make a little U shape when the puck drops, to try and scoop the puck in the direction I want it to go. I like to switch my low hand to an overhand grip because it feels stronger, and I choke way up on the shaft of the stick for the same reason.

If all else fails on winning cleanly, tell a winger to come in to take the puck, and tie the guy up as best you can.

Just keep in mind I literally only have three games in total played as center. But I can regurgitate things coaches tell me like a pro. :v:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
In my roller game last night the guy I kept facing in the faceoffs would try and win the puck on his backhand every time, even when it was directly to his goalie.

On offensive zone right side faceoffs I'd just let him win it there, or give his blade a whack to help him out and then go to the net.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I once won a faceoff in my defensive zone and scored on my own goalie. Don't do that.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
Don't be too predictable with your faceoffs. If the other guys know what you're gonna try, they can start planning around that. Sometimes, you don't always have to win a faceoff cleanly by yourself- if you tie up the other guy or lift his stick and co-ordinate with your wingers, you can win a clean faceoff that way.

If your teammates know what you're going to try, they can better help you out and support you. Communication always helps.

And as HZ says, don't score on your own goalie. When you're taking a faceoff there, that's a particularly good time to change up your technique, switch hands, tie up the other center, etc.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Don't pay attention to the puck. Right before the ref drops the puck cross check your opponent in the teeth.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Only if by crosscheck to the teeth you mean spear him in the dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is new information to me, I think I need new coaches.