Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Matlock posted:

RT mail app, at Surface launch, did support POP3. I know this, as I was able to properly set up a Roadrunner email address on one of the devices.

Win8 proper's mail app never supported it.

It's a strange division.

You must have had a different Surface than everyone else on the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

CharlesM posted:

You must have had a different Surface than everyone else on the planet.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfwinrt-surfusing/windows-rt-surface-to-support-pop3/edcf3be5-53cc-4d24-b0d4-c379cd0bed95

Microsoft Surface supports POP, IMAP, and Exchange ActiveSync (EAS).

RT. Not Pro.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I was able to set up a POP3 account on my VivoTab while I had it. I had to plug a lot of settings in manually, but it definitely worked.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

You didn't even read the whole post.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

What the gently caress :psyduck:

No, that's cool. I don't actually want to read the question I clicked on the link to read or anything, just block it out completely with two separate boxes as soon as I open the site just to make sure.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Matlock posted:

RT mail app, at Surface launch, did support POP3. I know this, as I was able to properly set up a Roadrunner email address on one of the devices.

Win8 proper's mail app never supported it.

It's a strange division.

It never supported it. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/pop-email-accounts

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

It was likely set up as an IMAP account, not POP.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Roadrunner does not support IMAP.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hey man, keep on rocking the free world, I guess you managed to do what nobody else can do. I guess those 13 pages of people complaining about it that you linked to must be idiots, in addition to Microsoft who published that support article that beefnoodle linked to.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
If the mail app did POP3 then I would've been able to set my Mom's Juno account up on it since it only supports POP3. But alas I could not, and she's never forgiven me.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero posted:

On the other side of the coin, I recently sold my Touchpads and got an XPS 10 through the discount Dell program at work, and I like it. The only thing I needed was the Cisco Anyconnect client, which is apparently in limbo. The network guy here said he can set it up directly using the VPN thing in Windows though.

My usage is mostly browsing around various websites, so RT works out fine for me. And having Office and being able to RDP into things is a good bonus.
....Annnnnndddd it's dead. Was working great, had no issues with it aside from a couple of IE crashes when I had a lot of tabs open. Picked it up yesterday and it's completely unresponsive, no charging light or anything. Returning it and stepping up to a Latitude 10 that I managed to snag even cheaper than the XPS. RT, I hardly knew ye.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Microsoft just dropped the price of the Surface RT to $349 if anyone's not going the pro route.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Is there any word on when Haswell tablets would start being announced?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

evilweasel posted:

Is there any word on when Haswell tablets would start being announced?

I hope you don't mean for RT, considering Haswell is x86 and RT wouldn't run on it. There are rumors of a new Surface RT using a Qualcomm chipset, though. Haswell machines have been slowly rolling out for the past few weeks and will probably continue to do so for a month or two.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Protocol7 posted:

I hope you don't mean for RT, considering Haswell is x86 and RT wouldn't run on it. There are rumors of a new Surface RT using a Qualcomm chipset, though. Haswell machines have been slowly rolling out for the past few weeks and will probably continue to do so for a month or two.

No, but I believe most Surface Pro discussion was here despite the name so I figured I'd check.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

evilweasel posted:

No, but I believe most Surface Pro discussion was here despite the name so I figured I'd check.

Ah. Well, I haven't heard anything official from Microsoft about a Haswell Pro, and a quick Google search confirms it. My personal bet would be before the end of the year, but that's also ~5 months worth of time, which could be an issue if you need the machine soonish.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
My university has a deal with Microsoft that I can get a 32GB Surface RT with Touch Keyboard for $249. That seems like a great deal to me. What do you guys think?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

AgentHaiTo posted:

My university has a deal with Microsoft that I can get a 32GB Surface RT with Touch Keyboard for $249. That seems like a great deal to me. What do you guys think?

Is it your only computer, or something to augment what you have today? As an only machine, no way since you'll probably need a real Windows machine to run different programs from classes. As a second machine to just take to class for notes or whatever it's probably not too bad.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

AgentHaiTo posted:

If you only want to use metro apps (and desktop office) it might be worthwhile.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I already have a Thinkpad x120e with Windows 7 that I absolutely love.

I was thinking of it as a secondary machine or for my wife so she'll stop stealing my laptop, and she only needs Skype, Office, and streaming video.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

AgentHaiTo posted:

It's a pretty good deal. Worst case you can sell that on ebay for cost/minor profit. (Seem to be running about $380 for that config on ebay right now).

Get it, try it, sell it if you don't like it.

Should be a good note taking platform. You might like it enough for that alone, the rest of the apps are only so-so.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

AgentHaiTo posted:

I already have a Thinkpad x120e with Windows 7 that I absolutely love.

I was thinking of it as a secondary machine or for my wife so she'll stop stealing my laptop, and she only needs Skype, Office, and streaming video.

Should handle that use case well. 8.1 might really improve the usability.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

AgentHaiTo posted:

My mother uses her RT for office, Skype, email, web and facebook, and she's delighted with it.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Now with the surface @ $349, is there really a better 10 inch tablet? The surface has a full desktop web browser right? So aren't most of the "apps" redundant since I can just go to Hulu (and not pay for plus) or Amazon Prime directly through IE?

E: Amazon is selling a Lenovo Ideapad Lynx tablet which has full Windows 8 and is also $349.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The old Nexus 7 is Tegra 3 with an actually well-developed app market and on the cheap. For $350 get a real laptop or x86 tab like the Lynx you posted. It'll be slow but it's full Windows.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Zarfol posted:

Now with the surface @ $349, is there really a better 10 inch tablet? The surface has a full desktop web browser right? So aren't most of the "apps" redundant since I can just go to Hulu (and not pay for plus) or Amazon Prime directly through IE?

E: Amazon is selling a Lenovo Ideapad Lynx tablet which has full Windows 8 and is also $349.

iPad 3, iPad 4. The refurbs should run about $350. Please love the N7 and N10. The BN Nook HD+ is selling for $149 directly from BN right now.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook/379003208??cm_mmc=AFFILIATES-_-Linkshare-_-lw9MynSeamY-_-10:1&r=1

If you get the Nook the suggestion is to put a custom ROM on it to make it faster. The Nook HD+ has a significantly better screen for less than have the price.

At $349 the Surface still is not a great value proposition unfortunately.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Protocol7 posted:

The old Nexus 7 is Tegra 3 with an actually well-developed app market and on the cheap. For $350 get a real laptop or x86 tab like the Lynx you posted. It'll be slow but it's full Windows.

Atom stuff is roughly comparable performance wise to ARM RT tablets though, if I recall.

Honestly Microsoft should really just woot these things and if they want to make smaller runs with more updated hardware, look at doing that. Nothing really wrong with the design/form factor from what I've seen, the Surface RT was just old tech when it was released, and it hasn't really aged super well.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah, Microsoft absolutely had the capital to sell the things off for $300 apiece when they were released, and they should have been bundled with the touch cover since that's apparently an integral part of the experience. Not subsidizing a product you want to successfully enter an already well-established market full of technological zealots is a mistake.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah, Microsoft absolutely had the capital to sell the things off for $300 apiece when they were released, and they should have been bundled with the touch cover since that's apparently an integral part of the experience. Not subsidizing a product you want to successfully enter an already well-established market full of technological zealots is a mistake.

I think if they had scrapped the Windows on ARM plans and launched an atom-powered Surface RT alongside the i3/5/7 powered Surface Pro they might have seen more adoption.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Naffer posted:

I think if they had scrapped the Windows on ARM plans and launched an atom-powered Surface RT alongside the i3/5/7 powered Surface Pro they might have seen more adoption.

Although windows on ARM is a nice stick to keep Intel working on Atom.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Or http://slashdot.org/topic/cloud/a-radical-plan-for-saving-microsofts-surface-rt/

quote:

But if Microsoft decides to continue with Surface, there’s one surefire way to restart its (metaphorical) heart: make it the ultimate bargain. The company’s already halfway there, having knocked $150 off the sticker price, but that’s not enough. Imagine Microsoft pricing the Surface at a mere pittance, say $50 or $75—even in this era of cheaper tablets, the devices would fly off the shelves so fast, the sales rate would make the iPad look like the Zune.
Speaking for myself, I have zero interest in an RT at the current (reduced) price.

But for $50? I don't think I'd even blink before clicking "Order".

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Ballmer: hey shareholders! Come watch us burn these huge piles of (your) money!

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
If Microsoft were seriously interested in the RT ecosystem, I think it'd be very much to their advantage to price the Surface RT at absurdly cheap (like $150-200), just to increase adoption rates.

That said I don't think they're seriously interested in the RT ecosystem.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

waffle posted:

If Microsoft were seriously interested in the RT ecosystem, I think it'd be very much to their advantage to price the Surface RT at absurdly cheap (like $150-200), just to increase adoption rates.

That said I don't think they're seriously interested in the RT ecosystem.

That would gently caress over any partners they have left.

doomtuba
Jul 1, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

That would gently caress over any partners they have left.

Maybe they should just keep Windows RT to themselves then so they can price it dirt cheap and let their partners rumble with full Windows 8 tablets. It isn't like OEMs are making RT tablets.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

doomtuba posted:

Maybe they should just keep Windows RT to themselves then so they can price it dirt cheap and let their partners rumble with full Windows 8 tablets. It isn't like OEMs are making RT tablets.

That has the unfortunate side effect of all the consumers who just want cheap poo poo, as well as the tech illiterate buying your product. Partner products with full Windows 8 won't sell because people will be upset that RT can't do whatever they want, and think that all windows tablets must suck, because even the Microsoft one sucks.

They're in a pretty no win situation right now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's obvious at this point (and fairly obvious back when RT launched) that RT was a hedged bet by Microsoft that Intel wouldn't be able to move into the low power mobile space quickly.

To put it bluntly, they lost that bet.

ARM competitive low power x86 is a reality today and will only be stronger by the time next generation hardware will launch. There's no market for an ARM based neutered Windows variant with you could ship the same product with the full OS and hit the same power and price targets.

There's not much point in any OEM pursuing a next gen RT product at this point. Microsoft will end up liquidating existing product and RT will fade away in the next product cycle. It will likely not officially be "killed", but I doubt you'll be able to buy a refreshed product based around it.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

bull3964 posted:

It's obvious at this point (and fairly obvious back when RT launched) that RT was a hedged bet by Microsoft that Intel wouldn't be able to move into the low power mobile space quickly.

To put it bluntly, they lost that bet.

ARM competitive low power x86 is a reality today and will only be stronger by the time next generation hardware will launch. There's no market for an ARM based neutered Windows variant with you could ship the same product with the full OS and hit the same power and price targets.

There's not much point in any OEM pursuing a next gen RT product at this point. Microsoft will end up liquidating existing product and RT will fade away in the next product cycle. It will likely not officially be "killed", but I doubt you'll be able to buy a refreshed product based around it.

The best Microsoft can hope for is that they'll be able to use some of the arm ported code on windows phone, since its clear mobile device s aren't moving to x86 anytime soon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Naffer posted:

since its clear mobile device s aren't moving to x86 anytime soon.

Don't be so sure. I'm not saying they are going to take over tomorrow or anything, but products exist and they are competitive.

Motorola launched the Razr i last year on x86 and it's competitive across the board with the Razr M (the Krait based counterpart.) Samsung announced last month that the Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 will be using an Atom Z2560 (Clover Trail+ platform).

The fact of the matter is, ARM is supply is constrained by fab capacity at this point and the next iteration of mobile growth is likely going to REQUIRE significant entry by Intel into the market to meet SoC demand. This is probably the reason why Samsung went with Intel for the Tab 3 10.1, it needs its own fab capacity pumping out Exynos chips for the international SGS4.

Intel is a natural fit for Microsoft for at least the tablet space (the argument could be made that the phones should move there too in the future.) At any rate though, RT does't have a purpose anymore and will die from market attrition alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, I went by the Microsoft Store today, and with my university discount, snagged a Surface RT 32GB for $214. I like it ok especially for that price, but I didn't get either of the keyboard covers for it, and I'm still on my x120e typing this post.

My wife is using it now, and her being a new tablet user, she is not in love with the on-screen keyboard, but it's working fine for her to browse the web and Skype(which worked great, and was better quality than my x120e).

She is also new to Windows 8 and is still learning how to navigate it. I may go back next week and get the Touch Cover for $49.99 if she decides she cannot learn the on-screen keyboard.

EDIT: I should say that even with this great discount, the sales staff had no idea what I was talking about when I said my university had a bigger discount than the current sale of $349. They had to make a couple of calls before they would give me the $199 price. It made me think that not many people are taking advantage of this special sale at all and it started June 17th. I'm going to spread the word around campus and maybe they'll get more sales.

AgentHaiTo fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 25, 2013

• Locked thread