Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I thought it was a fairly easy final Jeopardy, but the woman who bet 0$ had me cracking up with her expression. Sometimes you just know it isn't your category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/2013/07/19/jeopardy_audition_puts_toronto_star_reporter_to_the_test.html

I AM SO FAMOUS OH MAN

Three 'facts' about me, two of them are incorrect, and he clearly missed the whole tone of the audition process. I even said to him "It's not about being smart, I have no notion that I'm smart. I just remember stuff."

SentSix
Jul 19, 2001

Holy poo poo. At the first commercial break. Please please please win. Your delivery is perfect.

EDIT: YES! VICTORY!

SentSix fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 24, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Apparently we're getting an "It's Not Matt Lauer" category this week. I'm pretty sure they're just promoting it to capitalize on *~*speculation*~*, but I've been convinced we'll find out who the next host will be ever since Alex told a contestant that he was the new host of Jeopardy at the end of an episode.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I know the dates don't really work, but Trebek was driving me crazy implying there aren't two male actors named Fonda on that Final Jeopardy question.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I was thinking Douglas myself.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

http://deadspin.com/jeopardy-flummoxes-contestants-with-tough-sports-movi-902329017

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

This comment:

quote:

[hears "ding!" from computer]

[gets nervous]

[walks to computer]

[opens Compuserve]

[opens e-mail with subject "One new result for your news alert for "*lummox* AND 'double jeopardy'"]

[clicks link]

[reads this article]

[lets out enormous sigh of relief]

-George Zimmerman

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My PVR went nuts a few days ago and I wasn't able to watch the episode where Alan ended up champion... what was the story behind that?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was a really easy answer, I thought. Three names, buried in special section of Westminster Abbey. Westminster Abbey has a place for poets.

I came up with the answer immediately and couldn't think of anyone else who would've fit the criteria.

I would've won like 30k on that episode.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

escape artist posted:

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was a really easy answer, I thought. Three names, buried in special section of Westminster Abbey. Westminster Abbey has a place for poets.

I came up with the answer immediately and couldn't think of anyone else who would've fit the criteria.

I would've won like 30k on that episode.

I knew that it was a poet, but I thought it was Ralph Waldo Emerson too. Edgar Allen Poe is also another three-name poet from the same time period, but I knew it wasn't him. I also considered Henry David Thoreau, but he was born slightly later.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Mnemosyne posted:

I knew that it was a poet, but I thought it was Ralph Waldo Emerson too. Edgar Allen Poe is also another three-name poet from the same time period, but I knew it wasn't him. I also considered Henry David Thoreau, but he was born slightly later.

The reason I discounted those names was because I was thinking of someone who was almost exclusively a poet. Whereas, all the others you mentioned do short stories, novels, essays, etc.

What's weird is I know literally nothing about Longfellow. Just the name. But it just came to me instantly.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
So we've got Kids Week next week followed by 6 weeks of repeats. Man the summer hiatus sucks.

Let's take this time to discuss how stupid it is that in the year 2013 there is no online Jeopardy game.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Well there is that iOS jeopardy game that nobody plays because multiple choice jeopardy blows.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

God help me, I watched a Kids Week episode today. :negative:

Final Jeopardy: The Civil War
"Abraham Lincoln called this 1863 document 'a justified war measure'" or something like that.

"What is the 2nd Amendment?"

:smithicide:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zakharov posted:

Let's take this time to discuss how stupid it is that in the year 2013 there is no online Jeopardy game.

Seeing as the choice between the existence of online Jeopardy and Google is mutually exclusive, I'll take the latter.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zakharov posted:

The internet of the 90s was so much cooler. Sony had online versions of all their games, bullshit-free.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
None of them got Invader Zim. Between that and Ruthie from 7th Heaven being in Maxim, I'm feeling mad old this week.

Cordyceps
May 16, 2011

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

God help me, I watched a Kids Week episode today. :negative:

Final Jeopardy: The Civil War
"Abraham Lincoln called this 1863 document 'a justified war measure'" or something like that.

"What is the 2nd Amendment?"

:smithicide:
I thought spelling didn't count in FJ if the answer was legible? That kid was pissed as gently caress.

Literally guffawed out loud at "the second amendment," holy poo poo little girl.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
E: ^^ Never knew there was a spelling rule either. I thought it was a bit harsh to penalise a little kid over spelling (not that it would have mattered). It wasn't so wrong that it ruined the meaning or understanding, and these are the general knowledge smart kids not the spelling ones. Those are waiting for a kids WoF.

Yesterday was kinda great because of the kids, Sally in particular and the way Alex had to gently tell her stuff like when she kept hitting the buzzer because she was so excited. Towards the end I texted someone not to think of it as Jeopardy but rather a reality show about a kindly grandfatherly babysitter who makes the kids in his charge compete in trivia rounds for his attention.

Also, asking these kids about 2009 is like asking my grandma about 1970.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 1, 2013

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
$66,000. :stare:

I felt bad for the emancipation kid. He clearly knew what it was. Also, Sallie from last night was just adorable.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Yeah, 66000. I've noticed in a lot of the kids and teen tournaments, the contestants sometimes end up with higher yields. I think it has a lot to do with these kids being willing to lose everything. They don't seem to care a whole lot about the money, but then, when I was 12, I don't think I'd have cared either. I'd have wanted to make an impact.

And yeah, totally agreed. Sallie yesterday was great. I don't think anyone who was watching wasn't rooting for her. I wanted her to overtake that poncy little poo poo that won so bad, but it was not meant to be.

I've been watching Jeopardy every day since late January when my grandpa died as it's kind of become a thing I watch with my widowed grandma, and I'm starting to think I might actually have a shot at the show. I may try and get in next time online registrations open up.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

zakharov posted:

So we've got Kids Week next week followed by 6 weeks of repeats. Man the summer hiatus sucks.

There's a version on Xbox (and probably PS3) that has online play, and medium/hard difficulty has you type your answers, but online is a ghost town and I imagine the categories get pretty stale after you've played it for awhile. Only downside is there's auto-completion lists, so sometimes if you kinda know the answer ("oh man, its Bob something...",) you can use the list to cheat a little.

Still, if people have the Xbox version, haven't run through all the categories already, and want to play a few matches sometime, I'm down.

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010

jscolon2.0 posted:

None of them got Invader Zim. Between that and Ruthie from 7th Heaven being in Maxim, I'm feeling mad old this week.

What was the Invader Zim question? That's one of the last cartoons I would expect to see referenced on Jeopardy.

Man, now I feel old too. :smith:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Death Bear posted:

What was the Invader Zim question? That's one of the last cartoons I would expect to see referenced on Jeopardy.

They did an all Kids Shows category just on account of it being Kids week. Stupid little kids, with their iCarly and Phineas and Ferb. :corsair:

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 2, 2013

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010

jscolon2.0 posted:

They did an all Kids Shows category just on account of it being Kids week. Stupid little kids, with their iCarly and Phineas and Ferb. :corsair:
I turned that episode off before it got to that category, so I totally missed it. Kids' week bores me and they never manage to finish the entire board, which drives me crazy. I can handle Teen Tournament though, probably because I never got to fulfill my dream of being a contestant then. :(

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
It was one g! Just give her the money!

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
The bad news: today begins a multi-week stretch of reruns
The good news: Colby is back up in dis bitch

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Wait, Colby was in the Teacher's Tournament too? Was this before or after his regular Jeopardy run and then the Tournament of Champions? Or did he get a place in the Tournament of Champions because he won the Teacher's Tournament?

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wait, Colby was in the Teacher's Tournament too? Was this before or after his regular Jeopardy run and then the Tournament of Champions? Or did he get a place in the Tournament of Champions because he won the Teacher's Tournament?

The latter.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Death Bear posted:

J-archive says it's: Irk is the home planet of this title "invader"

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

DaisyDanger posted:

$66,000. :stare:

I felt bad for the emancipation kid. He clearly knew what it was. Also, Sallie from last night was just adorable.

Jennings spoke up on this. Spelling rule is based on plausible pronunciation. Emencipation would be OK. Emancipitation would not.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They've always used the phonetic spelling rule and being a test of knowledge and quick thinking how to spell words or at least how to make a pretty good guess at writing a pronunciation are part of the challenge. I don't know why this is so controversial. I know they're supposed to go easy on the kids but they aren't giving out participation ribbons here.

Myst Hat
Jul 10, 2004
What kind of a delay is there between taping and airing of an episode?

It must have been at least a few weeks since he made the mistake, but he (and his parents) somehow think it's appropriate to have been stewing over it this entire time. Great missed opportunity to teach your kid to accept his mistakes and learn from them. Nope, let's wait until the show airs and then make a huge stink about it because :qq:.

e: Aha, found a source saying it was taped in February. Also it seems to mostly be "the internet" making a big deal out of it. But still, he got an answer wrong 6 months ago and would have won the same $2000 if he'd gotten it right.

Myst Hat fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 6, 2013

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I can't feel too sorry for the kid, it was a lock game and he would have still lost regardless of spelling. It just seems odd to have a kids FJ be a relatively complex word to spell.

BTW, this occurred in the teachers game that re-aired last night too.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Island Nation posted:

I can't feel too sorry for the kid, it was a lock game and he would have still lost regardless of spelling. It just seems odd to have a kids FJ be a relatively complex word to spell.

BTW, this occurred in the teachers game that re-aired last night too.

A teacher who can't spell waiting correctly doesn't deserve to get the points.

And she would have finished in third anyway I believe.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
If they made a stink beforehand they'd also have to deal with Jeopardy suing them for violating an NDA

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

jscolon2.0 posted:

Jennings spoke up on this. Spelling rule is based on plausible pronunciation. Emencipation would be OK. Emancipitation would not.

The way I saw it is that "The Emancipation Proclamation" is the title of the document, and titles must be exact, including spelling. Like the episode played yesterday with the response of "Waitin For Godot".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
Also I wasn't saying they should've given it to the kid, just that it sucks for him. Same with Waitin last night. Both knew the right answer and misspelled it, but them's the breaks.