Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I would bet that we're going to see several of these a year. There will be the HEX convention. You'll probably see them at PAX. Probably a couple other obvious ones I'm missing. I just hope that the AH will accommodate selling mercs so that you don't have to eBay everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Chances are they'll also do events for major holidays, like other MMOs do. Things like Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and so on.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Zurai posted:

Chances are they'll also do events for major holidays, like other MMOs do. Things like Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and so on.

I assumed those were different than this program. I think this is specifically focused on getting con and event promos for real world events you can't attend.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Karnegal posted:

I assumed those were different than this program. I think this is specifically focused on getting con and event promos for real world events you can't attend.

Why would they be different? Is there some reason I'm missing why they can't use the exact same system for distributing the inevitable holiday event loot? It's exactly the same thing.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Zurai posted:

Why would they be different? Is there some reason I'm missing why they can't use the exact same system for distributing the inevitable holiday event loot? It's exactly the same thing.

I would imagine that holidays that are all in game will have events and such as opposed to just buying packs and hoping. I'd actually be pretty disappointed if this was the holiday system.

The system outlined in the post is a good way to deal with the fact that a large portion of your player base can't get to the event where you're handing out the cool limited edition merc. For in game holidays, you can do much more interesting stuff than "maybe your boosters will have something limited in them"

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

You mean "your boosters are guaranteed to have something limited in them". According to the article, the event replaces the normal loot table.

Also, chests are confirmed to (potentially) contain literally every known collectible game object from currency to booster packs. What can they add that isn't already covered? I mean, sure there'll be stupid holiday quests and such, but as far as rewards go, everything they can give is already covered by this system. It'd be really stupid to duplicate effort.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.

Go RV! posted:

Have they said if you get chests for packs opened via draft?

Yes. The chests just go to your inventory when the pack is opened, regardless of whether it's for a draft or otherwise.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Zurai posted:

You mean "your boosters are guaranteed to have something limited in them". According to the article, the event replaces the normal loot table.

Looking at the phrasing ("modified loot table to include special items"), it sounds like not every item on the normal loot table gets replaced.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

pumpinglemma posted:

Looking at the phrasing ("modified loot table to include special items"), it sounds like not every item on the normal loot table gets replaced.

Yeah, this was my reading.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
I'm sure they will have holiday quests and other standard mmo holiday fare. I just couldn't also imagine them saying "Modified loot table for pack chests on Halloween? We could add some ghost AA cards fo- ABSOLUTELY NOT. THIS IS FOR GENCON ONLY." I'm sure there will be handouts for everyone who does X, Y, and Z on the holiday and I'm equally certain that during a few days or a week around that holiday, there will be a modified loot chest for packs opened during.

If that doesn't happen, no big deal. I just can't think of a better way to get us nerds to rapidly draft/shred through boosters than a chance at :pcgaming: limited holiday EXCLUSIVES! :pcgaming:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Exactly. I never meant holiday stuff would only be treasure chest loot, just that there would be holiday events with treasure chest loot. It's an existing system which encourages people to spend money on the game (packs can generate more packs via treasure chests, but it seems safe to assume that 95% or more of the packs opened in the game will be a result of money being spent, either through direct purchases or paid tournament winnings).

Also, mea culpa on the loot table replacement thing. I mis-remembered it.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm sitting hear reading this article on "Whales" in F2P games and starting to think that I should work out an actual entertainment budget for myself rather than just going balls to the wall on digi-cardboard :stare:

On the other hand it'll be way cheaper to buy GenCon promo codes than plane tickets / etc, so really it's like I'm saving money :shepspends:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Grim posted:

I'm sitting hear reading this article on "Whales" in F2P games and starting to think that I should work out an actual entertainment budget for myself rather than just going balls to the wall on digi-cardboard :stare:

On the other hand it'll be way cheaper to buy GenCon promo codes than plane tickets / etc, so really it's like I'm saving money :shepspends:

If you think that's interesting, check out this extra credits episode and part two of it. There's definitely a fine line between passion and addiction.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I know this isn't the right place for it, but I don't see a general TCG thread. Has anyone played Solforge? It's on steam for $20 dollars, apparently it's free to play and that $20 dollars gets you early access and some boosters later. I've already exhausted the fun from Dotp 2014 and Scrolls so I'm looking for something else to hold me over until Hex.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

I know this isn't the right place for it, but I don't see a general TCG thread. Has anyone played Solforge? It's on steam for $20 dollars, apparently it's free to play and that $20 dollars gets you early access and some boosters later. I've already exhausted the fun from Dotp 2014 and Scrolls so I'm looking for something else to hold me over until Hex.

It's not great. Combat feels incredibly uninteractive and it's basically all combat.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Would anyone really be confused if that just read +1/+1 without the axe and shield icons? They are needless clutter and cause a little brain fart every time I see them when I'm expecting just plain text.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

+1/+1 in Hex terms is +1 mana in your mana pool and +1 tapped land in Magic terms.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

katkillad2 posted:

It's a fun tablet game. I kickstarted it for more than I wish I did given it's slow development pace. The $20 isn't really a sale, and the features that let you make a F2P collection aren't implemented yet (deck building only arrived a week ago). The release version is still a few months away and that won't be fully featured either. I'd check back up on it in 6-8 months if you don't already have money in it.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Zurai posted:

+1/+1 in Hex terms is +1 mana in your mana pool and +1 tapped land in Magic terms.

I wish they would have used a set of symbols for the shards available/shards owned instead of att/def. You can be sure att/def adjustments will come up more often than shard fixing. It's a petty gripe though and really won't matter either way in the long run.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd be shocked if they don't have symbols in the final release.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Game preview I found via the official Hex forums -> http://www.pcgamesn.com/hex-preview-brilliant-new-collectible-card-game-mmo <- has a new card spoiler as well!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Blazing Zero posted:

If you think that's interesting, check out this extra credits episode and part two of it. There's definitely a fine line between passion and addiction.

On this note, there was an article I read awhile back about Korean Freemium games, one which specifically had a 'chest opening' competition each day, where the person who opened the most chests (at roughly 10 cents apiece) in a day would win a special ultra prize. The article was following one woman who invested I believe a thousand USD in one day and she still didn't win the ultra prize. Anyone know the article I'm thinking of?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I'm a "whale" in Puzzle and Dragons and I don't feel bad about it. I think buying energy is a pretty big "gently caress you" from the publisher, and I definitely feel that I should be able to play the game more often considering the amount of money I've spent on it. But I also get that being able to run some of the crazy bonus XP dungeons freely would also be imbalanced, and I feel that I get a great value for the money I do spend. So long as I'm having fun, I'm going to keep spending money on it. I mean, I just dropped $40 to see Pacific Rim (2 tix) for a little over 2 hours of entertainment, plus whatever residual enjoyment I get out of the movie. I play PAD for probably 2 hours every single day.

So, I'm pretty happy that HEX doesn't have energy and people can play it as much as they want. We must have some features in the game to generate revenue to reinvest in the game and to attract top talent. You'd be surprised how difficult it is to find a top-flight TCG developer or designer; the people who are smart enough to do it are smart enough to make way more money in a different field. Most people who work in the TCG field do it because they love TCGs and want to work in games.

Considering the choices we've made-- no energy, allowing people to trade cards (I think MODO players take this for granted and don't understand how huge this is for digital collectible games)-- I think we've shown that we've actively made choices that are very far away from squeezing poopsockers for every single penny they have.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Grim posted:

This article is a little ridiculous (I just skimmed it). Addiction is certainly a problem, but the problem isn't the games. Plenty of people can play those games without losing their houses. If you can't, than you need to take the steps to avoid playing those games, period. It sucks, and it's probably really hard without a support network, but the people calling for an end to a form of entertainment that isn't generally harmful need to not engage with that sort of entertainment in the first place.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Yea as long as you aren't running yourself beyond your means, you're fine. You should be budgeting anyway though.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

PJOmega posted:

On this note, there was an article I read awhile back about Korean Freemium games, one which specifically had a 'chest opening' competition each day, where the person who opened the most chests (at roughly 10 cents apiece) in a day would win a special ultra prize. The article was following one woman who invested I believe a thousand USD in one day and she still didn't win the ultra prize. Anyone know the article I'm thinking of?

It was a Chinese game but I don't remember the name either. It was really popular in China, and they did poo poo like hiring attractive girls to go to internet cafes and convince guys to try the game or egg on guys who were playing but not spending enough to be powerful, things like that. hosed up business. I don't think it'd really work here though, too much back lash on any kind of perceived Pay2Win type stuff.

Edit: I lied here it is: http://www.danwei.org/electronic_games/gambling_your_life_away_in_zt.php

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Blinkman987 posted:

Considering the choices we've made-- no energy, allowing people to trade cards (I think MODO players take this for granted and don't understand how huge this is for digital collectible games)-- I think we've shown that we've actively made choices that are very far away from squeezing poopsockers for every single penny they have.
Oh definitely, Hex isn't in the same category as some of the games discussed in the article - just a personal evaluation that I gotta remember to be more mindful before handing over the cash that I'm not going overboard, the point being that I totally want to hand over cash for a good game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Blinkman987 posted:

The lack of trading and drafting is why I'll never think of Duel of Champions as a serious game. It exists in a sort of unhappy medium between constructed and limited.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

I wouldn't lump Hex in with the f2p games that are predatory and money grubbing at all. The discussion of TCG's and other digital games with collectable aspects that do is interesting. I'm glad to see one that doesn't want to suck my wallet dry for the amount of good content it gives though. It's hard to find games of any business model worth the money or time.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Karnegal posted:

It's a fun tablet game. I kickstarted it for more than I wish I did given it's slow development pace. The $20 isn't really a sale, and the features that let you make a F2P collection aren't implemented yet (deck building only arrived a week ago). The release version is still a few months away and that won't be fully featured either. I'd check back up on it in 6-8 months if you don't already have money in it.

They just rolled out the ability to play against others online, so it's more of an actual game now. It's fun. Not terribly deep, but fun.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

rinski posted:

They just rolled out the ability to play against others online, so it's more of an actual game now. It's fun. Not terribly deep, but fun.

The massive card changes have totally killed all my decks. I'm trying to figure out what's good all over again.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Is there a campaign or anything in Solforge or were people just playing against the AI before they could play each other?

I've been playing the poo poo out of this game called Card Hunter. It's kind of like a TCG and a RPG board game combined. You build your deck of cards by gathering equipment that have cards associated with them. It's pretty fun, it has some pretty glaring issues but it's probably the funnest free to play game I've tried so far out of the ones that have been coming out lately. It's in closed beta, but only took me a week or two to get in http://www.cardhunter.com/.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

katkillad2 posted:

Is there a campaign or anything in Solforge or were people just playing against the AI before they could play each other?

I've been playing the poo poo out of this game called Card Hunter. It's kind of like a TCG and a RPG board game combined. You build your deck of cards by gathering equipment that have cards associated with them. It's pretty fun, it has some pretty glaring issues but it's probably the funnest free to play game I've tried so far out of the ones that have been coming out lately. It's in closed beta, but only took me a week or two to get in http://www.cardhunter.com/.

SolForge will have a campaign when it finally comes out (who knows when) right now it's just you vs AI or you vs human

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Since it's in open/paid beta I made a thread for SolForge (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560617&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post417609171). We can move the SF talk there.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Dunno where to put this, but has anyone played Duels of Champions? Just trying to itch my online TCG niche before Hex comes out.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I played a little bit of it, and really didn't enjoy it. The games tended to be very drawn out for a couple reasons. One, the lane based combat system makes it easier to force troops to fight other troops. Two, each player constantly gains an additional resource point each turn for free, and can then, once per turn, either raise one of their 3 threshold values to play better cards, or, more often as the game drags on, spend a piddling one resource point to draw an extra card. So you can draw a ton of cards easily, and not too long in the game, will probably have the resources to play out your entire hand.

I found what tended to happen was that one player would get an advantage, but would have a lot of trouble actually finishing the other player off, because they can just nearly free card draw their way into a bunch of chump blockers, which doesn't actually get them back in the game so much as just waste a bunch of time. There's still a "summoning sickness" effect where their troops can't attack immediately, so they always get smacked half dead before they can do anything. There's a retaliation damage mechanic, but half the troops in the game ignore it, and it doesn't even get applied if the defending troop dies.

So yeah, some stuff in it just rubbed me the wrong way. Mostly, 1 resource card draw as a base ability given to every hero seemed to turn out pretty poorly.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

There's also no trading (or there wasn't when I tried it), so if haven't opened many or any removal cards, you are hosed.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Not having trading is an incredibly major downside, since it means you could sink literally hundreds of dollars into the game to try and get a competitive deck and you're still hosed if the RNG doesn't like you when you're opening your boosters. Apart from that, the game seems fun.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So uh, this game has Force of Will now:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Only in PvE. It's also a bit more limited, you have to discard the equivalent of an island rather than any blue card. On the other hand, it's a straight upgrade to Cancel even without equipment: same cost, stronger effect.

• Locked thread