Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If it really is as good as you say, it'll get a fansub eventually. Until then, back to MuvLuv.

I'm gonna try once again to hop on this crazy train, but oh god is it painful to get through the intro. From the part where Meiya shows up at school, how long is it till I get to the good, or at least marginally better, parts?

e: It hasn't gotten technically better, but... Takeru just got handed a license for "Impure Sexual Relations" that's signed by his dad and the Prime Minister.:stare:

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

If it really is as good as you say, it'll get a fansub eventually. Until then, back to MuvLuv.

I'm gonna try once again to hop on this crazy train, but oh god is it painful to get through the intro. From the part where Meiya shows up at school, how long is it till I get to the good, or at least marginally better, parts?

Honestly not until Unlimited for things to get better. Extra is just a slog the entire way through. Alternative is only when it gets really really good.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012

Susurrus posted:

I'll just say this right now, if you can read Japanese, get the game. Now. It's goddamn insane, and it's meant for people who read visual novels.

How complicated is the language in it? I've been meaning to pick up a japanese VN to help with my reading skills but everything I sort of wanted to play had translations either available or coming soon™. I considered the VN of H2O: Footprints in the Sand, but I didn't like the anime adaptation. Which isn't a very good indication of VN quality in most cases, but whatever.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So people has been asking for Umineko talk? Good thing I just finished Ep 6 and my friend I tend to talk with about Umineko is gone for a while.

I haven't read the Tea Party or ??? so I might come back yelling "gently caress this poo poo"

(Ep 6 Spoilers)
So we are given a huge hint towards Beatrice's person finally. I was already thinking towards that direction, though it still makes no sense.

So I think the idea is that Beatrice we know is basically a made up personality for Battler, because apperently he likes crazy psychopaths or something. The one who made it up, I'm pretty sure, is Shannon, altough that would also mean Kannon is a made up personlity for Jessica, that however brings a lot of problems. Like, how did no-one notice? And I'm pretty sure there were multiple scenes we see them both, even with Battler present. Like last episode, when everybody is in the same room to greet Erika, even if we cannot rely on Battler on that point, we can rely on Erika since she is the detective, she saw them both in the same room (although she never actually spoken to Kannon, and he and Shannon were together pretty much the whole time, so that might mean something). What about the first twilight of the very first game? There were six bodies including Shannon, her corpse was even recognizable. Kannon was obviously there. Similar in game 3, but it would explain the lack of corpse in game 2 and 4. Also, using Kannon and Shannon, I could solve a couple of mysteries in the first 2 episodes (though for that Genji also need to be an acquittance for them, but that's quite reasonable for nothing else that he is a suspicious motherfucker). Oh, and they lowered the number of people on the island... AGAIN.
Or Kannon is a ghost... a real ghost... that can only be seen with love...
I don't know maybe they explain it better, since I'm pretty sure the Tea Party will start with Ange going "the gently caress just happened?"

Oh, and while Dlanor is the best character, gently caress Erika! Every time she tries to be sympathetic, she turns back into a evil bastard. Doesn't help that she, along with Bern and Lambda don't care about the actual answer to the mystery, they're just loving around.

And why the hell does this episode's theme sound like a rap song?

It's still my most favorite episode yet.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The best five Seacats are, in ascending order: Natsuhi, Eva, Kinzo, Erika, and Classic Beato.

People who don't like Erika just can handle all those mad detective skills and/or are literally Battler :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's time for me to :spergin: about Umineko!

And anyways, yes, that's pretty much right. Shannon and Kanon are the same person. And she's also the culprit and "Beatrice."

As to how no one ever noticed? Beatrice is constantly called the "true Master of Rokkenjima" Add in who Beato's friends in the fantasy narrative represent and think about what this means for who Shannon actually is.

Also, in Episode 5 we never see anything from Erika's POV, just Battler's which is unreliable in that episode. In Episode 1 Battler never sees Shannon or Kanon die, he's just told they do so. Think about how the Episode 3 closed room chain is set up, anything interesting about it?

Also Erika owns. :colbert:

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 25, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bholder posted:

So people has been asking for Umineko talk? Good thing I just finished Ep 6 and my friend I tend to talk with about Umineko is gone for a while.

I haven't read the Tea Party or ??? so I might come back yelling "gently caress this poo poo"

(Ep 6 Spoilers)
So we are given a huge hint towards Beatrice's person finally. I was already thinking towards that direction, though it still makes no sense.

So I think the idea is that Beatrice we know is basically a made up personality for Battler, because apperently he likes crazy psychopaths or something. The one who made it up, I'm pretty sure, is Shannon, altough that would also mean Kannon is a made up personlity for Jessica, that however brings a lot of problems. Like, how did no-one notice? And I'm pretty sure there were multiple scenes we see them both, even with Battler present. Like last episode, when everybody is in the same room to greet Erika, even if we cannot rely on Battler on that point, we can rely on Erika since she is the detective, she saw them both in the same room (although she never actually spoken to Kannon, and he and Shannon were together pretty much the whole time, so that might mean something). What about the first twilight of the very first game? There were six bodies including Shannon, her corpse was even recognizable. Kannon was obviously there. Similar in game 3, but it would explain the lack of corpse in game 2 and 4. Also, using Kannon and Shannon, I could solve a couple of mysteries in the first 2 episodes (though for that Genji also need to be an acquittance for them, but that's quite reasonable for nothing else that he is a suspicious motherfucker). Oh, and they lowered the number of people on the island... AGAIN.
Or Kannon is a ghost... a real ghost... that can only be seen with love...
I don't know maybe they explain it better, since I'm pretty sure the Tea Party will start with Ange going "the gently caress just happened?"

Oh, and while Dlanor is the best character, gently caress Erika! Every time she tries to be sympathetic, she turns back into a evil bastard. Doesn't help that she, along with Bern and Lambda don't care about the actual answer to the mystery, they're just loving around.

And why the hell does this episode's theme sound like a rap song?

It's still my most favorite episode yet.
RK07 basically pulled a fast one in EP5 with the perspectives and "detective's authority". Umineko has a lot of misdirection overall but it is most prominent in that chapter.

And another comment, remember this blue truth from EP5: "It may be true that all corpses, no matter whose, would not lead to a mistaken autopsy, ......but it has never been said that there was a rule against something other than a corpse being called a corpse." That actually opens a huge can of worm for a lot of the previous EPs when you think about it.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

It's time for me to :spergin: about Umineko!

Virgilia is Kuwasama, shown in Ep 3 and I guess commented on in numerous occasions. Ronove is Genji because... well the credits sequence was kind enough to remind us how his full name is Genji Ronove. Also he calls Genji his brother or part of himself or something, they are not very subtle about this. I don't know who Gaap is, it's the representation of her knowledge of closed rooms? She's Shannon herself? I really want her to be Nanjo, so he could be part of Team Beato, that would make solving a number of mysteries easier... but that would be weird. Natsuhi maybe?

But yeah, with Kuwasama's ninja tricks they could fool the people living there, still I would think they would realize after all these years, how they never saw both of them at the same time.

EDIT:

Nate RFB posted:

RK07 basically pulled a fast one in EP5 with the perspectives and "detective's authority". Umineko has a lot of misdirection overall but it is most prominent in that chapter.

And another comment, remember this blue truth from EP5: "It may be true that all corpses, no matter whose, would not lead to a mistaken autopsy, ......but it has never been said that there was a rule against something other than a corpse being called a corpse." That actually opens a huge can of worm for a lot of the previous EPs when you think about it.

poo poo, you are right, and I was thinking about using life-sized dolls back in those episodes. Though it makes me thinking, can we call a doll "dead"?

Bholder fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 25, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I really need to buckle down and finish reading that sometime.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think my favorite thing in Episode 5 is that the story just flat out tells you who the culprit is, and nobody noticed.

Natsuhi says "I never told anyone except Shannon that I like Fall" in red. But she says that after she had told The Man From 19 Years Ago that she likes Fall. In other words, for her words to be true, Shannon and The Man From 19 Years Ago have to be the same person.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'm plugging along in Tsukihime. Things are popping up I recognize. Those knives the priesthood has. Someone keeps saying magic circuits. I don't know what I'd think if I hadn't played Fate/stay first with all the added graphics of circuits powering up and such. Someone just mentioned the source so I get what that whole wanting-to-get-there was about. Will be about.

I don't know, I knew it was the same writer but I guess I expected the worlds to be more separate but they're pretty intertwined in lore.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Something else that occurred to me that is probably not going to be apparent to new Umineko readers... Back when it was coming out EP by EP, 07th Expansion occasionally released some new TIPs either online or in IIRC pamphlets at comiket. A bunch were just comedic, but some were very insightful. Back in the original Umineko-specific thread it was in the OP as a recommendation for when readers should read them. A bunch of them are collected in Tsubasa and Hane, but I don't think a lot of new fans read those.

In particular, all three under "EP3" and the Witch's Tanabata are must-reads in my opinion. Though their impact may be lost if you're already deep into Chiru.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha

Susurrus posted:

Sorry to interrupt Muvluvchat, but I just need to chime in for a second.

Recently, Nitroplus released a new game named Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi. It's usually referred to as Totono because that is a longass name.

It's really truly a shame that it's only in Japanese. But maybe someday after I'm done with my other projects, I can fix that.

If you would ever like any help with that, I would love to. I have experience translating VNs, just no experience with the actual programming/script ripping parts.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Susurrus posted:

Stuff about Totono

Huh. Well that's quite a bit different from what I expected it to be from the trailers (School Days with marginally better writing).

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I was debating on whether or not to write about Totono, but since someone did a bulk of the work for me, I'll add my two cents on it.

It is one of the more enjoyable things I've read this year, but what annoys me is that it's just so close to being "masterpiece" instead of simply "good"

MLA is an interesting comparison, because Totono's structured pretty similarly.

1st Act: Extra generic childhood friends romance story. Made extra aggravating because the main character is a billion times more passive than Shinji Ikari. Honestly, if I didn't already know that this game was going to pull a twist somewhere it would have put me to sleep. At least ML Extra was completely over the top.

2nd Act: I find this slightly more interesting than the 1st Act, because the game drops all those little hints that something is not right with the game world.

I guess the "problem" with this act is that it's an NTR story. If you're unfamiliar with the term, it's a genre about the drama of knowing your girlfriend is cheating on you but you're unable to do anything about it (for multiple reasons, such as the audience knowing what is happening but not the main character).

So yeah, it's one of the most rage-inducing genre to ever exist and most people can't stand it.

3rd Act: The best part, but I can't type anything without spoiling, which is the frustrating thing about it. "Guys, it's so great, but I can't tell you what makes it great, because that would ruin it."

Like MLA, the game is basically saved by the 3rd Act. Would have been nice to have the first two parts be good and develop the characters enough to make me like them, because I think a huge part of what the game is trying to do would be making you like the characters as if they were people in real life rather than fictional characters.

Which I don't. I like them both as character concepts, but if they existed in real life I would think they are both huge assholes.

As far as "it's meant for people who read Visual Novels", I don't entirely agree, because I believe a lot of the meta elements are aimed at a rather targeted criticism at a subset of VN players rather than "just VN readers in general".

Specifically, it's a criticism of VN readers who treat the genre like... well, the closest example would be people who are obsessed with "achievements" in regular videogames. The kind that clinically plays these games with a walkthrough in hand and whose goal is to achieve "100%" completion of CG and Scene collections rather than being immersed in the story etc.

I think people might still enjoy the meta aspects of it, but it would probably be done while being 1 step removed (sort of like Metal Gear Solid 2).

The game is rather short overall, which is a nice change of pace from F/SN trench warfare length VNs, which I guess would make a process of a translation much easier (but on the other hand, it also does some things which I don't want to spoil that would complicated the effort.)

Ottumon posted:

How complicated is the language in it? I've been meaning to pick up a japanese VN to help with my reading skills but everything I sort of wanted to play had translations either available or coming soon™.

Totono's pretty easy as far as things go. It's set in contemporary Japan (i.e no archaic Kanji and ancient grammar users), and it's not really a very Prose-focused VN in my opinion. I think the only two things I would worry about is there are areas in the game where you get voice-only/no text, and one of the characters speaks entirely in Katakana which is always annoying as hell when it shows up (it's sort of a common thing in fiction to portray eccentric people/foreigners).

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Oh god what MuvLuv Alternative I did not expect that surprise tentacle scene, and now this attack on Yokohama?!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
In MuvLuv, is the winner of the cooking competition also the route you continue on? If so, that's both really dumb and really convenient at the same time.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ViggyNash posted:

In MuvLuv, is the winner of the cooking competition also the route you continue on? If so, that's both really dumb and really convenient at the same time.

Not necessarily, but it is a decent amount of points toward whatever route you want to be on. I'm not sure if this is true for the side routes, but for the Sumika/Meiya route its possible to have Sumika win then choose Meiya at the end.

Most of the date scenes are pretty entertaining though, so its worth going back and looking through all of them sometime.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

OH MAN I was so hoping to see (MLA) Tsukuyomi and the three idiots join for the Original Hive, but giving up their Takemikazuchis is so much better, those things look WAY COOL

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

I think my favorite thing in Episode 5 is that the story just flat out tells you who the culprit is, and nobody noticed.

Natsuhi says "I never told anyone except Shannon that I like Fall" in red. But she says that after she had told The Man From 19 Years Ago that she likes Fall. In other words, for her words to be true, Shannon and The Man From 19 Years Ago have to be the same person.

That's a pretty finicky interpretation. Taking the red so literally is usually a bad idea. I don't think that statement is intended to exclude the person she was talking to at that time. Even worse, I don't know if the conclusion is actually true.

The main problem is that I'm not actually sure the person who called Natsuhi claiming to be the man from 19 years ago is necessarily even Yasu. Regardless of the red, the trick with the cards is a really common sleight of hand, so there's absolutely no need for the caller to need to know Natsuhi's favorite season. I kind of figured Battler's blue about himself was actually mostly right; he's not actually the baby from 19 years ago, of course, but he certainly could have been the person claiming to be. After all, he was at the center of the faked death plan that episode, which was clearly a plot directed at making Natsuhi look bad and exposing the death of Kinzo. On the flip side, Yasu has no real motive here. She's never cared about revenge against Natsuhi, and I'm not even sure she knows Natsuhi almost killed her. Her intentions on October 4th-5th are way more concerned with the epitaph, and since Battler solves it long before the time of the fake deaths, this convoluted scheme has no value to her. We'd expect her to abandon her plans once the epitaph is publicly solved.

I could be completely wrong in these interpretations. It'd be easier to just say that the caller was the person he said he was. The most serious issue with my idea is that the people involved with the fake death plan don't know about Natsuhi's child from 19 years ago, but Nanjo or Kumasawa could have suggested it easily enough. Nanjo, at least, was definitely in on the fake death plan. Still, this makes more sense as a motive than for Yasu to be the person involved here. This just fits better into the narrative.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Some of those observations veer into EP7 territory, just as a warning. As does this...

At any rate, you also need to keep in mind who the Game Master was for EP5 and the criticisms she incurred by other characters about her interpretations of Beatrice's game. LD's take is clinical and almost sterile, or "obvious". So of course her Man From 19 Years Ago is a moustache-twirler who wants revenge against Natushi, even though Lion/Beatrice don't seem to care. The culprit where you remove the "heart".

Most people would have dismissed Dr Pepper's notion at the time for the reason you bring up, however. That treating the red truth too literally can cause all kinds of problems and wild possibilities. At the same time though, it was likely true. Or at least in retrospect we are led to believe it was true considering LD's take on the game.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Muv-Luv Alternative finished. I really enjoyed the epilogue with all those characters, so now I really do want to play Altered Fable.

As for how the game was, I really do value this is as the best VN I ever played. Then again, this is the fifth I've ever played. I've lost unknown amounts of sleep due to forgetting the time and being awake for two days straight playing. Hell, I stopped theorizing (like I always do for everything) about what was going on after a while too, since the game just threw every possible cliche to the wind and did its own thing. I can't even imagine how it would have been going at this series while also having work to consider. Vacation saved me I guess.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

ilifinicus posted:

Muv-Luv Alternative finished. I really enjoyed the epilogue with all those characters, so now I really do want to play Altered Fable.

As for how the game was, I really do value this is as the best VN I ever played. Then again, this is the fifth I've ever played. I've lost unknown amounts of sleep due to forgetting the time and being awake for two days straight playing. Hell, I stopped theorizing (like I always do for everything) about what was going on after a while too, since the game just threw every possible cliche to the wind and did its own thing. I can't even imagine how it would have been going at this series while also having work to consider. Vacation saved me I guess.

I still have to get through Muv-Luv before playing this. :negative:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
So after finishing Hanako and Emi's routes in Katawa Shoujo, I felt vaguely dissatisfied about something - enough so that it actually soured my opinion on the entire game. And just now, I realized exactly why that was, and it might be for the most petty and bizarre reason i've ever even considered. Neither of those routes end at the end of the school year. That's it. When I realized that this sole reason was why I felt like the routes lacked something, I pretty much just stared at my monitor for a good minute. It's kinda interesting, and it's not really a feeling i've experienced outside of this medium, but there have been so many of these goddamn games that take place in schools, and almost all of them have their narratives coincide with the school setting. Everything gets set up at the beginning of the year, things come to a head in the middle, and then the end of the year is when it winds down.

So when it didn't happen like this, something in my mind said "this is bullshit" and got all pissy. Regardless of the fact that both of the routes were like 10 hours long, it felt like they didn't have enough content in them. It just struck me as really weird, because I felt dissatisfied for a really long time without knowing why, and this is absolutely the most stupid reason i've ever had for feeling that way. They were fun stories though!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'd say Emi's route is pretty average, which is interesting since its also the easiest route to get and ends up being the beginner route.

Lilly and Hanako's routes are by far the two best routes. Rin's was well written, but ended up going nowhere. Shizune's I never finished.

As far as your insight, I guess it is a pretty standard thing to end a high school romance story with the beginning of summer vacation. I guess its a bit of symbology that's been overused to the point of cliche, so to see it play out differently would be quite refreshing. Katawa Shoujo was the first VN I ever played so that point didn't really hit me, but having seen plenty of other HS romance stories afterwords it is quite an obvious thing. Good on you for figuring that out instead of remaining irrationally pissy.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
There is a route that ends at the end of the school year. Mouse over spoilers here if you don't care about finding out which one it is Shizune's but also generally considered to be the worst route in the game..

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

As far as your insight, I guess it is a pretty standard thing to end a high school romance story with the beginning of summer vacation.

The Japanese school year starts in April and ends in March.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Am I mistaken in the belief that this game was the one made by a 4 chan collaboration?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Nope, this is indeed that.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
That's somewhat misleading. IIRC, it sort of started out at 4chan and similar boards but pretty quickly became its own thing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

MagicalDuck posted:

The Japanese school year starts in April and ends in March.

I meant end of the school year. As someone from the US, my brain is wired to associate the end of school with summer vacation.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Suleman posted:

That's somewhat misleading. IIRC, it sort of started out at 4chan and similar boards but pretty quickly became its own thing.

Well that's the narrative they came up with to try and downplay the connection anyway.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rodyle posted:

Well that's the narrative they came up with to try and downplay the connection anyway.
It's fair for them try to downplay it, though, since the development after the very earliest stages was all done offsite from 4chan, eventually by a mostly-different group of people than those who originally came up with the project, and if you were told to imagine what a 4chan-created game about dating girls with disabilities would be like what you would come up with is very different than the actual game.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Met on 4chan, posted progress updates and other announcements on 4chan, and development was plagued by drama as all 4chan projects are, then they dissolved back into 4chan after getting the game out the door because they couldn't stand each other anymore.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
drat Higurashi Matsuribayashi-hen has a crapload of TIPs :stare: Though I'm not sure if they count as TIPs anymore.

Also is there any reason why Oryou Sonozaki lacks a sprite? Just about named reoccurring character with some level of importance gets one, so her lacking a sprite is kinda strange.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

planetarial posted:

drat Higurashi Matsuribayashi-hen has a crapload of TIPs :stare: Though I'm not sure if they count as TIPs anymore.
They're called "Pieces" this time around, actually. Though there is one final TIP once you finish the game. And if you complete the Pieces in a certain order, you will get a bonus ending! Which segues into Saikoroshi quite nicely.

quote:

Also is there any reason why Oryou Sonozaki lacks a sprite? Just about named reoccurring character with some level of importance gets one, so her lacking a sprite is kinda strange.
Keep in mind that in the original game RK07 basically did everything himself (besides the music). It's probably just a case of time/money/effort not being worth it in his eyes at the time. That character, among several others, got a sprite in the DS games.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Grisaia no Kajitsu complete patch released: http://tlwiki.org/index.php?title=Grisaia_no_Kajitsu

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

PaulC posted:

Grisaia no Kajitsu complete patch released: http://tlwiki.org/index.php?title=Grisaia_no_Kajitsu

Hoping this is going to be as good as people say it is.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Hoping this is going to be as good as people say it is.

It's a funny game and some of the routes are very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Slowly working my way through Heaven's Feel. I just finished day 5, and I can already tell things are going to hell. Already, three servants are dead, and this True Assassin has emerged. I don't know anything about it, but it is such a monster. With it eating bodies to get stronger, I don't want to imagine what'll happen as more people die.

I'm just wondering what the gently caress caused it to burst out of Assassin in the first place. My gut says that it's whoever was in that first intermission (Grandpa Matou?), but I really don't know. Either way, Grandpa Matou must be up to something. There's no way they'd introduce him in this route and not have him do anything, especially given how much of a focus is on Sakura. I worry that he's doing something that's hurting her, either directly or indirectly :ohdear:.

Right at the end of the day, though, what the gently caress was with that random sex scene?

• Locked thread