Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NoUU posted:

Not your usual STDH.

Do I want to know what they mean by 'fae' in that story? Do they mean like, fairies? Or like, some girl he was stalking named Fae?

The bottom of the previous page posted:

A little over four years ago, I was working in QA at a large publisher testing a music title of note. We were working 7 AM to 7 PM Monday through Friday, and 7 AM to 4 PM on Saturday for about four months straight.

About a month into this overtime crunch, we got a build that implemented microphone input for the vocal sections (up till this point we had to use debug commands to automatically score 100%). I’m singing obnoxiously loud on a crowded floor where two testers share each cubicle when a lead comes up behind me and tells me through half-hidden chuckles to “shut the gently caress up.”

Still singing, I pause the game to turn around, only to realize that the game is looping about one second of what I was singing into the mic when I paused it. Nodding to my lead, I turn around, unpause the game, giggle, make a fart noise in the mic, and then immediately pause the game. Much to my excitement, the pause screen is looping the fart noise, creating an infinite fart.

The smile I had was one of pride as I watched the ensuing wave of laughter billow through the packed floor, leaving productivity utterly demolished, as if my fart noise was at first wind blowing through an open field, only to become a fart tornado of destruction.

Truly farts are the most devastating weapons of destruction. (Also, the person that wrote this thinking it made them look cool is a loving moron)

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:58 on Jul 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhizoids
Jul 4, 2009

by Ralp
I found a pretty nice goldmine of STDH: http://experienceproject.com

It's basically an entire website unabashedly full of poo poo that didn't happen to people. Here's a pretty choice example entitled "I Got Caught Naked - Lost Bikini Top"

meganxxo posted:

Me and my girlfriend were hanging out like we do every year for two weeks at her parents really beach house. It is awesome! I just graduated college ! Took five years, sorry! So this was my third year in school..Anyway, Ashley's brother, who is beyond hot and never gave me the time of day, and I went down to the beach, the house was a few blocks away, so we just walked down with a bag of waters, three chairs and threw our phones in the bag and went in the water, which was really cold! So Ashley and Seth left and went and sat on the beach.

I hung out by myself because there were a bunch of hot surfers nearby, and I just bought a new bikini, so I was showing off, one said hi, but he left and went back with his friends, the water was calm and they were getting bored. I had not went in past my knees, until all the sudden finally a huge wave came, I was not paying attention and it knocked me silly. While the wave was pulling away I could feel the freezing cold water on my boobs I immediately knew my top came off. Then I realized My top is Gone! I don't mean Off, I mean Gone! I tried not to panic, I figured how far could it have went. Now I had to go in the water, the surfer guys were not to far away, so I went up to my neck, I was freezing, there was no way I was getting out with Seth sitting out there, no Way ( I had pulled a horrible prank on Seth the last summer, it was mean and I did not know what he would do.!!!

Now about 10-15 minutes had passed, the water was freezing, I am just standing in the water in the least crowded area of the beach with my hands covering my little boobies! They are kind of small and that only added to my potential embarrassment. By now the two remaining surfers have noticed me and they are asking if I needed any help, laughing quite hard..I said no, my friend was coming. Finally I have to work closer to Ashley, go in the cold water swim in the cold water and scream her name. Still no way I'm getting out of the water.

By now I have been ducking in and out of the water for about a half hour, and it started to hit me that I am going to have to walk two blocks back to Ashley's house with my hands covering my little rack! So she finally came in I told her what happenned and begged her not to get Seth. She was cool and started helping me look for my top, which I lost closer to where her and Seth were. The water had started to clear out and the beach was emptying so things were getting better, until Seth appears!! Once I explained what took place he is laughing and offered to get some of his buddies to help! I begged him not to and he said, well I can at least go back to the house and get you a towel?
I agreed..This is where it gets bad..

By the time he returns with his friend Rick, and NO TOWEL! Keep in mind last year I wrote in his butt when he was passed out drunk and took photos, and shared them..I knew this was going to end badly! Rick, Seth and Ashley are all helping me look for my top, it is over an hour and I am freezing. Well Rick finally spots it, thank god washed up on the beach..One Problem, Seth runs to his bad and grabs his Camera! Seth gets a few good shots of me standing there very embarrassed covering my boobs with my hands.. Finally, Rick balls up my top and threw it over my head, like an idiot I reach up to grab it and the camera is ready to roll!

So there I am arms above my head with my little hooters on display for Rick, Seth and the Camera! My top landed behind me so before I could get it they got off four or five perfectly clear shots of my little rack!

We all went to the bar that night and I begged Seth to delete the photos, no luck he forwarded them everywhere, to everyone, I was beyond embarrassed, and there is not much I could do considering what I did to him cost him his girlfriend. Rick since apologized for sharing the photos with basically everyone we know, A very, very humbling lesson for me! So to add to five years of college, and a job waiting tables where every guy in the
restaurant has my boobs saved on their phones! They have a calendar of my Boobies ! I am a bit flattered but I need a real job quick!

Here is the cool ending, I am now dating Rick! Guess he liked the view!!! Rick begged me to post this story, plus the photo show, I may need to sleep on his second requestS

Oh hey let me tell you about this time when I, Totally A Girl, accidentally exposed my breasts!!! It even comes complete with the "and now we're dating" cliché. The best part is that the author teases to post the "photo show" ;). It reads so much like a stupid erotic fantasy, there's pretty much no way this is real.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My Life as a Teen Comedy Movie Protagonist: The I'm Totally a Girl You Guys, Really Story

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Rhizoids posted:

It reads so much like a stupid erotic fantasy, there's pretty much no way this is real.

Yeah the way the author keeps going on about little boobies it's quite clear it's all one big wank fantasy, and the actual author even gets the made-up girl at the end. Truly a touching story!

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

sticklefifer posted:

Not saying this didn't or couldn't happen, but there's no loving way it happened the way this guy claims it did:

http://chrisbrecheen.blogspot.ca/2013/07/changing-creepy-guy-narrative.html

-I'm a writer, you guys. I'm a writer. Did I mention I'm a writer? I'm a writer. Writer.

-She was totally reading A Storm of Swords, you guys. Can you imagine? A girl reading that? In this day and age when nobody's ever heard of Game of Thrones, let alone women?

-This meathead jock (here's a picture of a walking stereotype so you can imagine him) was picking on this totally hot defenseless girl with a wispy skirt and I'm lucky I was there to defend her.

-I totally saved her by creeping out the guy with my gay vibes.

-If he beat me up, I totally would've gotten sympathy sex.

-I understand this woman's plight because I'm a writer. Did I mention I'm a writer?

He's also deleting any and all comments that question the validity or details of his cliche white knighting story, and getting WAY too defensive by responding to every single comment that calls him out as being self-congratulatory. Again, could've happened, but no way did he not embellish the hell out of it. He IS a writer, after all.

WriterMan to the rescue! Or should it be PenMan, so he can...never mind, I'll stop.

Look at the underlying theme. "I'm such a good guy I can totally feel what it's like to be a woman. All because...I'm a writer. I'm a writer so it should automatically get me Cool Guy points with any and all females. I can relate to you about my courageous defense of a woman, because I'm a writer and I know how it feels to be a woman. I'm not saying you can't understand women, but I'm a writer."

This screams STDH, not only because it's cliched, but because of what it is meant to do: drive traffic to his site, in hope of making sales for his latest literary extravaganza. It hits all the right notes, in just the right order, in such a way as to permit others to live vicariously through his brave defense of the Fair Sex. He was so courageous! Why, that man might have had muscles! A detail which, incidentally, speaks volumes about the general condition of Our Hero. At the end, instead of sweet matrimony, she can only whisper a 'thank you' to our valiant writer. Truly, a man to admire, an example for us all of our Better Self.

Here's what happened. He got on BART, saw a cute girl, and all the way to his stop in Livermore fantasized what she was like under those filmy, diaphenous clothes, the ones that made her so delectable on a hot July day. Also on the train was a muscular man coming back from a day of manual labor. He, too, cast the occasional glace at the girl, then got off at his stop. For the rest of the trip our writer rolled the idea of a topical scene through his head, went home, played games, until he worked out the story to his benefit.

And now he's being rewarded by the Internet.

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*

CJacobs posted:

Do I want to know what they mean by 'fae' in that story? Do they mean like, fairies? Or like, some girl he was stalking named Fae?

Truly farts are the most devastating weapons of destruction. (Also, the person that wrote this thinking it made them look cool is a loving moron)

Remember how when Pirates of the Caribbean came out, all the pirate stuff was trendy in fashion? Like skulls and scarves? And how when Twilight's movie came out, it was all about dressing like you went to a high school in the northwest with skinny jeans and large green parkas? And there was more IRL STDH.txt with people claiming to be vampires? And there was a surge of wolf otherkin bullshit?

Well, "The Host" came out this year and so did "Beautiful Creatures". I think there's a new Percy Jackson movie. So, prepper stuff is now going to be trendier, and maybe tech gear (the movie's not really based on those trends at all though, it was written way back before Twilight). With "Beautiful Creatures", get ready for people romanticizing the South and magic and stuff again. Percy Jackson is a thing with a fandom, and it's about a teenager with powers. With all that is going to come lovely fandoms, and with that's going to come more loving STDH based on fairies and magick and stuff. "I totally healed myself magically", "I'm a 5/10 usually but I put on my Glamour Magicks and attracted Justin Bieber's attention!", "I was walking at night and saw a tall shadowy thing with tendrils, but then my own tendrils appeared out of nowhere and beat his tentacle things up! Ha-HA!"

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Rhizoids posted:

I found a pretty nice goldmine of STDH: http://experienceproject.com

It's basically an entire website unabashedly full of poo poo that didn't happen to people. Here's a pretty choice example entitled "I Got Caught Naked - Lost Bikini Top"

Oh hey let me tell you about this time when I, Totally A Girl, accidentally exposed my breasts!!! It even comes complete with the "and now we're dating" cliché. The best part is that the author teases to post the "photo show" ;). It reads so much like a stupid erotic fantasy, there's pretty much no way this is real.

This is genuinely nauseating. Why would anyone believe a real person would talk about themself this way, especially the "my little rack!!" junk.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Seth is the goatse guy and she wrote in his butt.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

moerketid posted:

This is genuinely nauseating. Why would anyone believe a real person would talk about themself this way, especially the "my little rack!!" junk.

They went to the beach, but no one brought a towel. To the beach. And none of the guys were wearing a shirt she could borrow. Sure.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Khazar-khum posted:

Look at the underlying theme. "I'm such a good guy I can totally feel what it's like to be a woman. All because...I'm a writer. I'm a writer so it should automatically get me Cool Guy points with any and all females. I can relate to you about my courageous defense of a woman, because I'm a writer and I know how it feels to be a woman. I'm not saying you can't understand women, but I'm a writer."

Christ. I'm a writer too, but there are many, many times when I have to tell my peers "Stop being such a loving writer". If I knew that guy, this would be one of those times.

Basically, writers are liars. Sometimes if we're lucky we're even paid to be. But we're supposed to be good liars. If this actually happened to me, I wouldn't be blogging about what a good guy I am for rescuing the damsel in distress, then be vehemently defending myself and continuously shaming anyone who doesn't believe me. If anything, I'd have written a social commentary piece on the behavior I observed, or a story about something I witnessed objectively rather than a self-insert/Mary Sue who swooped in for the rescue. If he were actually any kind of feminist (which I'm sure he believes he is), he would've refrained from describing the girl's appearance at all. More likely some chunky PUA neckbeard hit on a relatively plain girl (and who knows what she was reading because it was on her Kindle), and she told him to gently caress off while the author looked on from a few rows back, mentally masturbating about How This Scenario Could Be Better. Besides, when you're writing deliberately flowery prose, you should consciously avoid blatant stereotypes. Dude's just not that talented in the first place.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DrHerpington posted:

Remember how when Pirates of the Caribbean came out, all the pirate stuff was trendy in fashion? Like skulls and scarves? And how when Twilight's movie came out, it was all about dressing like you went to a high school in the northwest with skinny jeans and large green parkas? And there was more IRL STDH.txt with people claiming to be vampires? And there was a surge of wolf otherkin bullshit?

Well, "The Host" came out this year and so did "Beautiful Creatures". I think there's a new Percy Jackson movie. So, prepper stuff is now going to be trendier, and maybe tech gear (the movie's not really based on those trends at all though, it was written way back before Twilight). With "Beautiful Creatures", get ready for people romanticizing the South and magic and stuff again. Percy Jackson is a thing with a fandom, and it's about a teenager with powers. With all that is going to come lovely fandoms, and with that's going to come more loving STDH based on fairies and magick and stuff. "I totally healed myself magically", "I'm a 5/10 usually but I put on my Glamour Magicks and attracted Justin Bieber's attention!", "I was walking at night and saw a tall shadowy thing with tendrils, but then my own tendrils appeared out of nowhere and beat his tentacle things up! Ha-HA!"

Oh, so it's loving retarded. I guess I'm not surprised! Thanks!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Rhizoids posted:

I like to imagine that this was actually a hefty bi dude going on and on about his adowable widdle biddy tiddies and how all his customers desire his calendar moobs.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The worst part of that writer nonsense is that he double spaces after periods.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Apparently that's a thing, because my boss insist that we do that in all official documents. I was under the impression that that went out of style back around Office 2003.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I edited a short story for a kid who wanted to be a writer and did this. Didn't know what the gently caress until I found out he was homeschooled and his mother told him that was the correct way to space things. Apparently she learned it from typing class way back in the day.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I'm old, but not THAT old, and we were taught to double space after periods.

GaiaShell
Mar 11, 2002

Leon Einstein posted:

I'm old, but not THAT old, and we were taught to double space after periods.

Our teachers told us to do the same thing. In my infinite wisdom, however, I berated the sap for pushing an antiquated form of sentence writing by shouting "END OF STORY, PERIOD. NOT PERIOD SPACE SPACE" at which point the teacher fled the room and immediately retired and forfeited his pension while the whole room burst into applause. The teacher's wife who happened to be sitting in the class room complimented me, divorced her husband and we were married by the end of the year.

Or, in reality, my teacher said that they used to do that, but they don't anymore because it looks dumb, especially since the double space method was used for typewriters and their fixed spacing. Then he went back to his lesson which was basically "Quit trying to make your lovely essays look longer by using 24pt font and widening the line spacing and adding extra spaces everywhere, also cite your sources or its plagiarism"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Less style guide, more making fun of that rear end in a top hat! I don't like him.

angelfisher
Aug 15, 2011
Tumblr time. :woop:

Witty answers to a doctor always strike me as fake

Tumblr really wants to live in a John Green novel.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Bonk posted:

If he were actually any kind of feminist (which I'm sure he believes he is), he would've refrained from describing the girl's appearance at all.

The best part of his description is that he tries to hide behind it being his uncles description of the girl or some poo poo.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
I dated a guy who cultivated that "writer, poet, enlightened" persona and ugh god it was basically the worst thing ever. He was a walking STDH factory and "Whovianism is a way of life" guy so he fits the thread in multiple ways! He decided that he was going to change his major to creative writing so that he could become a college professor one day. I asked him why, and he put his chin in his hands, solemnly looked up at me, and said, "Because someone needs to teach them." He went on to explain that kids these days only like crap like Twilight and that they needed someone to guide them towards good literature. But this is the man whose only writing was a half-formed idea for a book series called "Li'l Cthulhu," which was supposed to be a children's book series about Cthulhu doing cute things. I was like, oh, so it's a book for adults in children's lit style, like "All My Friends Are Dead"? No, no, he insisted. It was to help kids not be afraid of Cthulhu. Because if he could help children realize that monsters weren't so scary, well.... he'd done his job. Okayyyyy, but... what little kid is just organically afraid of Cthulhu? Unless their parents read them the mythos and intentionally expose them to the concept, no little kid of going to come crying to you in the middle of the night about Cthulhu. I suggested he just make it a generic (or even, what a concept, an ORIGINAL!) monster, but he insisted that it had to be Cthulhu. For Nerd Cred.

The only thing missing was the feminism. He had that whole "I'm an equalist, not a feminist. Men have it bad too, you know." stance that I wish I had been knowledgeable and outspoken enough at the time to deconstruct. He told me that he modeled his views about feminism on a speech he had heard while in the military. Let me just transcribe that for you here. A female military officer came to speak to them at an assembly, and she had this to say: "So, to the women here: You want equality? Then shut up about feminism. Stop asking for privileges and start earning them. I earned everything that I have, and I never once complained about sexism. So if you want sexism to go away: stop talking about it." He sat back in his chair and crossed his arms, then shrugged as if he had just checkmated me. It made me so angry but I wasn't assertive enough to keep arguing with him about it, and he just kept countering me with, "Well, a woman said it, so...." Ugh. :(

He also modeled his life and loves around Doctor Who, and when we broke up he changed his name and decided that he had regenerated! I was his "Rose."

Where's that emote that looks like it's ashamed, ah yes :cripes: :cripes: :cripes:

Double Plus Good has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Jul 24, 2013

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus Christ how could you possibly date someone like that? How could you even get past the first date and not tell him to gently caress off?

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

big mean giraffe posted:

Jesus Christ how could you possibly date someone like that? How could you even get past the first date and not tell him to gently caress off?

You know how sometimes you need to go through a really bad relationship to realize your self-worth? Yeah, that. :smith: Looking back on it, it's absurd how many red flags were overlooked or explained away by optimistic naivety. I was also lacking that one really opinionated, outspoken friend who will slap some sense into you, so it dragged on for quite a while, I'm ashamed to say.

He also claimed to have Tourette's, schizophrenia, and synesthesia, among many other "out there" medical things. I talked about it way back in the thread, but disproving people's extremely personal STDH is almost impossible, especially by someone who is trying to be nice and avoid realizing that she is dating a crazy person.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Double Plus Good posted:

I dated a guy who cultivated that "writer, poet, enlightened" persona and ugh god it was basically the worst thing ever. He was a walking STDH factory and "Whovianism is a way of life" guy so he fits the thread in multiple ways!

In Ask/Tell, there's a thread for your experiences with people like this, it's called "Ask me about growing with a girl who thinks shes married to anime guys". It's an never ending pit of :stare:. You should share some stories there if you feel up to it.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

angelfisher posted:

Tumblr really wants to live in a John Green novel

Here is todays temp, *unzips pants.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Flaggy posted:

Here is todays temp, *unzips pants.

It's only 1 1/2" out, you might want to take a jacket.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
This heartwarming STDH just appeared on my Facebook wall

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007
Last week I was waiting in front of the grocery store and saw an ancient lady loading groceries into her car. She literally had a hunchback and appeared to be struggling so I walked over and asked her if she wanted help. She said "no, get away from me".

Basically what I'm saying is I wish I lived in STDH land, I could use $40. :colbert:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

"One time, my son was so high that he just slept the whole afternoon on his friend's couch. He came home so late, that he had to make up this story about how he helped an old lady with her groceries."

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Bonk posted:

Christ. I'm a writer too, but there are many, many times when I have to tell my peers "Stop being such a loving writer". If I knew that guy, this would be one of those times.

Basically, writers are liars. Sometimes if we're lucky we're even paid to be. But we're supposed to be good liars. If this actually happened to me, I wouldn't be blogging about what a good guy I am for rescuing the damsel in distress, then be vehemently defending myself and continuously shaming anyone who doesn't believe me. If anything, I'd have written a social commentary piece on the behavior I observed, or a story about something I witnessed objectively rather than a self-insert/Mary Sue who swooped in for the rescue. If he were actually any kind of feminist (which I'm sure he believes he is), he would've refrained from describing the girl's appearance at all. More likely some chunky PUA neckbeard hit on a relatively plain girl (and who knows what she was reading because it was on her Kindle), and she told him to gently caress off while the author looked on from a few rows back, mentally masturbating about How This Scenario Could Be Better. Besides, when you're writing deliberately flowery prose, you should consciously avoid blatant stereotypes. Dude's just not that talented in the first place.

He's a Writer, not a writer. Big difference. And yes, agents, editors, people in the industry hate Writers. These are the people who hand out business cards that say, 'Joe Shmonson, WRITER' when he's never been published anywhere. Most Writers at SF cons are chunky PUA neckbeards. At one time the standard Writer uniform was turtleneck, jacket(tweed or corduroy preferred) and, yes, fedora. They have that arch, precious speech pattern that is the hallmark of the STDH we're seeing here. Most of our STDH are examples of their deathless prose.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Khazar-khum posted:

He's a Writer, not a writer. Big difference. And yes, agents, editors, people in the industry hate Writers. These are the people who hand out business cards that say, 'Joe Shmonson, WRITER' when he's never been published anywhere. Most Writers at SF cons are chunky PUA neckbeards. At one time the standard Writer uniform was turtleneck, jacket(tweed or corduroy preferred) and, yes, fedora. They have that arch, precious speech pattern that is the hallmark of the STDH we're seeing here. Most of our STDH are examples of their deathless prose.

Does getting reposted in stdh on sa count as a fiction publication though?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

xxEightxx posted:

Does getting reposted in stdh on sa count as a fiction publication though?

It's more like fan fiction, so no.

Khazar-khum has a new favorite as of 01:45 on Jul 25, 2013

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Khazar-khum posted:

Not all Writers are like that :ohdear:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Writer Cath posted:

Not all Writers are like that :ohdear:

Notice the capital W.

Artists can be like that too. My dad does some publishing work from home (Graphic design and layout for small local publishing houses, that kind of poo poo) and we got to deal with plenty of Writers and Artists over the years, it's always an exercise in frustration.

"Yeah so after thinking about it, that cover we spent all day yesterday working on might not really represent the overarching themes of the piece, could you try to change the sled to a more emotional shade of red and have the tree roots be visible through the earth? If you could add a few flying birds... Do you think we could get the printer to do the birds in foil?" Sure, let's do foil on a print run of 2000 copies, that's going to be cost efficient.

You see these people in any business really. They're the guys that are more concerned about ~The Integrity of the Process~ than about finishing a drat thing that'll actually turn a profit. Not that the other extreme is good either, but when you don't have that balance, goddamn.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

FrozenVent posted:

Notice the capital W.

Much like the difference between "nice guy" and "Nice Guy". Incidentally, that Writer seems to be the latter.

Das Boo posted:

I like to imagine that this was actually a hefty bi dude going on and on about his adowable widdle biddy tiddies and how all his customers desire his calendar moobs.

On a related note, Calendar Moobs will be the name of my new shoegaze band.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Double Plus Good posted:

He also modeled his life and loves around Doctor Who

You know, it always seems to be insufferable people who think watching a tv show is substitute for becoming cultured and educated, and/or giant misogynists who think Doctor Who is some kind of bible for a way to live, which is hilarious because, ya know, that's the literal opposite of like 9/10ths of the show's morals.

Like, I'm a huge Doctor Who nerd, so I run into these types a lot. How do they not understand that the entire point of what makes the Doctor an intellectual and moral authority in the story is that he's lived for thousands of years and explored the universe and respects every culture and blah blah blah. If you for some pathetic reason think a tv show is a guide to life how do you take that message and go 'yea I should just watch TV all day and hate women'?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Like, I'm a huge Doctor Who nerd, so I run into these types a lot. How do they not understand that the entire point of what makes the Doctor an intellectual and moral authority in the story is that he's lived for thousands of years and explored the universe and respects every culture and blah blah blah. If you for some pathetic reason think a tv show is a guide to life how do you take that message and go 'yea I should just watch TV all day and hate women'?

Forgive me for the neophyte view, as I only started watching with the reboot and inconsistently at that, but isn't the Doctor a [i]incredibly[i] bad entity to model your intellectual and moral authority? Isn't the point of the companions to be a humanizing aspect, to be the moral compass and show that for all of the Doctor's knowledge he is far from an intellectual authority in that he's so far removed from the people he interacts with on a per episode basis?

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

The only true part is that he probably is an rear end in a top hat about it when people say "God bless".

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Not only that, but if the story is true then she's likely mentally ill, but her faith is his bigger concern just so he can feel superior. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

So her story was bogus and she was lying to get money because she's a lazy poor, but then refused to take the money she was lying about needing anyway because her convictions are just that strong?

• Locked thread