Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Any relief printers out there? I've been messing around with linocuts and woodcuts with the standard speedball water-based inks and I'm wondering if oil-based (or better quality water-based, if they exist) provide any extra benefits.

redcheval posted:

Ah yikes :( Well I guess I shouldn't be surprised!

Unfortunately I think I AM in the budget for a consumer grade scanner... which is not really ideal, but really all I'd like to be able to do is take decent scans of black and white lineart and have that translate nicely into the computer for digital coloring and stuff like that. Unfortunate about the cost of professional-quality scanners, but ahh, I guess I have something new to save up for! Thank you :)

I have an epson all-in-one that's done me well. While it's annoying to have a smaller bed than what you want to scan, if the bezel is flat enough (and are scanning something flexible) you can scan in segments and let photoshop stick them all together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I didn't want to make a whole thread for this: Is anyone here on Dribbble? I really want to get an invite but I have no leads.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The Dave posted:

I didn't want to make a whole thread for this: Is anyone here on Dribbble? I really want to get an invite but I have no leads.

I want one as well! We should have some sort of goon Dribbble invite exchange program.

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013
I'm trying to find the image used in a specific album art or an image similar enough to have the same aesthetic tone. The image is of The Pogue's album "Waiting for Herb." The kicker is I'd like it without the text. I'm thinking it may be impossible, and if there is a better place on SA to ask this, please let me know. Making a similar post in the music forum's punk megathread.

And yeah my username is a reference. I made it when I was young, not realizing I'd ever poke my head into the music community and be all embarrassed for unoriginality.

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap
Does anyone have a SA Grenade Vector I could use?

I used to have one but I lost it somehow..

Nookovian-Red fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 12, 2013

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
I want to challenge myself as a writer. Is there a website or app that randomly generates scenarios like the latest Thunderdome challenges? I'd ask them, but they'd probably give me a shameful avatar for stepping into their arena like a jabroni.

Pineapple Salad
Apr 4, 2012

What a neverending story, Mark!

dupersaurus posted:

Any relief printers out there? I've been messing around with linocuts and woodcuts with the standard speedball water-based inks and I'm wondering if oil-based (or better quality water-based, if they exist) provide any extra benefits.
It's really a matter of preference, though I personally find oil-based inks to be more consistent in quality and easier to control. They're also more versatile, if you ever feel like getting into intaglio printing, as intaglio inks also work well for relief prints. The downsides are the cleanup process, they're not as environmentally safe, and the inks will grow a skin over the top (depending on the pigments/brand/oil content/etc. Some will skin very quickly). However, when using water-based inks I've had occasional problems with blotchiness, and I feel that the colors just aren't quite as vibrant. They're also somewhat difficult to work with if you're doing monotypes or any other technique that requires wet paper.

Really, you just need to experiment with them to figure out what works best for you.

Pineapple Salad fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 12, 2013

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Here's a potentially really stupid question: When doing line art, how frequently do people use stencils/rulers? One of the things I've been practicing recently is focusing on trying to draw as near a perfect circle as I can get in order to help myself with motor control and perception. Is it worthwhile to do this, or should I simply be using stencils/rulers when possible (e.g., drawing a machined piece of metal or a glass globe)?

Kosani
Jun 30, 2004
Ni ni.
Photoshop: How do I 'paint' with a custom-made selection/cut-out? Basically, I want to make a defined brush preset out of an image(and its transparencies) that doesn't discard the color information from the source image. I know this is probably a stupid question, but I am new to photoshop. Thanks guys.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kosani posted:

Photoshop: How do I 'paint' with a custom-made selection/cut-out? Basically, I want to make a defined brush preset out of an image(and its transparencies) that doesn't discard the color information from the source image. I know this is probably a stupid question, but I am new to photoshop. Thanks guys.

You're looking for the Clone Stamp or Pattern Stamp tools. The first, you'll have to pick from a document, the second you'll have to define a pattern. It's nowhere near as versatile as say Painter's Image hose, which is probably exactly what you're looking for.

Kosani
Jun 30, 2004
Ni ni.

SynthOrange posted:

You're looking for the Clone Stamp or Pattern Stamp tools. The first, you'll have to pick from a document, the second you'll have to define a pattern. It's nowhere near as versatile as say Painter's Image hose, which is probably exactly what you're looking for.

Yes! Thanks for getting back to me. A quick google suggests that photoshop doesn't have image hose, so I am downloading gimp to see if I can get it done in there. I'm trying to make a leaf texture for 3D tree models using scans of leaves that I made.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm a graphic designer, and I haven't really bothered updating my portfolio for ages. What's a good solution for a book I can bring to interviews? Just get something printed on Blurb?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I'm painting photographic emulsion on to heavy watercolor paper. I'm finding that I'm getting an inconsistent surface, and I believe it's because so much of it is soaking up into the paper. Is there any way to prep the surface so that it can be made slightly less porous?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

triplexpac posted:

I'm a graphic designer, and I haven't really bothered updating my portfolio for ages. What's a good solution for a book I can bring to interviews? Just get something printed on Blurb?

Yup that'll work. If you're regularly putting out work, then instead of having to print out a new book each time, you'll want a presentation binder with clear sleeves that you can keep rotating new work into. Try avoid A4, that's a bit small. A3 and A2 sizes work well. The great thing about presentation binders is that you can just lay them out flat while showing and talking through the work, rather than having the thing trying to close itself if it was a book with tight binding.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

SynthOrange posted:

Yup that'll work. If you're regularly putting out work, then instead of having to print out a new book each time, you'll want a presentation binder with clear sleeves that you can keep rotating new work into. Try avoid A4, that's a bit small. A3 and A2 sizes work well. The great thing about presentation binders is that you can just lay them out flat while showing and talking through the work, rather than having the thing trying to close itself if it was a book with tight binding.

Ew. Yuck. No clear sleeves. That just screams "fresh out of college". No one uses clear sleeves. The firm you're interviewing at doesn't take a bunch of clear sleeved prints to client presentations so you shouldn't either.

There are all sorts of cool binders out there though. Metal and fabric, etc. And in different, unique sizes. Print your samples on high-quality paper, that's key. Then you just three-or two-hol punch them and put them in the binder of your choice. All these neat binders can be found online, at art stores, or even craft places (like a michaels) and they're set up in such a way that the holes you've punched are hidden so it looks great. You may have to trim pages down to suit your binder. Example - an older portfolio of mine was 11x17 so no cutting was needed. When I updated last year or so I used a more squarish format so I had to slice off a few inches from tabloid prints. Gave a much better, hand crafted feel than jsut a bunch of prints.

Lately, lot of people and firms are just simply using their laptop/tablets and scrolling through a PDF You can zoom and scroll back and forth with ease. Plus you can pop in a cheap little flash drive (maybe get one custom inked with your name & logo, etc????) and leave that digitally copy behind with the interviewer(s). You should do that, regardless, actually.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Ferrule posted:

Ew. Yuck. No clear sleeves. That just screams "fresh out of college". No one uses clear sleeves. The firm you're interviewing at doesn't take a bunch of clear sleeved prints to client presentations so you shouldn't either.

There are all sorts of cool binders out there though. Metal and fabric, etc. And in different, unique sizes. Print your samples on high-quality paper, that's key. Then you just three-or two-hol punch them and put them in the binder of your choice. All these neat binders can be found online, at art stores, or even craft places (like a michaels) and they're set up in such a way that the holes you've punched are hidden so it looks great. You may have to trim pages down to suit your binder. Example - an older portfolio of mine was 11x17 so no cutting was needed. When I updated last year or so I used a more squarish format so I had to slice off a few inches from tabloid prints. Gave a much better, hand crafted feel than jsut a bunch of prints.

Lately, lot of people and firms are just simply using their laptop/tablets and scrolling through a PDF You can zoom and scroll back and forth with ease. Plus you can pop in a cheap little flash drive (maybe get one custom inked with your name & logo, etc????) and leave that digitally copy behind with the interviewer(s). You should do that, regardless, actually.

Yeah, clear sleeves are horrible. Don't do that. Not only do they scream "fresh out of college," but they also make it impossible to view your work due to glare.

I like being able to touch print pieces because that's how end users interact with them in the real world. If you did a stationery system for someone, have a version mounted on some nice black matte but also have a few loose copies of the business cards or whatever that you can let people play with. I want to know that you thought about paper choice and whatnot, not that you just designed a pretty card.

Also have an online portfolio or at least a PDF (again, as Ferrule suggests), as most places won't even ask you in for an in person interview until they've seen your work.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Thanks for the replies everyone! I never actually thought about going the binder route, I'll look into that.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Hey so I was volunteered to paint a mural for a local nonprofit and I'm freaking out about it a little bit. My only experience with mural work was working on a small part of one as part of a college class. Luckily it's not supposed to be a huge one (one wall of a portable) but I still have no idea where to start or what to do here. I was thinking of just making a design, gridding it out and enlarging it that way but I would really appreciate if anyone knew any good resources\tutorials\what have you for the more technical aspects painting it.

E: turns out its not really a mural, but just randomly painting sea critters to decorate the wall between exhibits. I guess I can stop freaking out now :v:

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 19, 2013

Cheeze Kuyeh
Jul 5, 2008

i am monocle
I'm not far off completing my children's book and I'm exploring illustration options. Ideally/Option A, I want the illustrator to be a guy like me, ie a young guy/lass with a day job who thinks that this would be a cool project to get stuck into and chuck out to the world.

Alternatively/Option B, I can pay a professional but I believe that either I need to dictate to them what I want (which I'm not entirely sure of and could be disastrous) or if I give them free reign their bottom line dictates the work and quality suffers. Either way its not fair on me or them to engage at the moment.

I don't have a problem with Option B but trying to get in touch with Option A guys seems impossible. Craigslist art sections are filled with hooker adverts, local universities and colleges don't have any immediate advertising services and I'm not sure where to search on the net.

1) Is this actually going anywhere and should I just pay a pro? I live in London, UK with all the students/young pros and universities you can name. Surely there should be loads of other people nearby who would love to do something like this?

2) If there is potential in Option A where the hell are these young artists and how do i get in touch?

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Does anyone here study journalism or similar? I was torn about posting this her or in SAL, but I need to know what/if the term for those Sunday supplement style interviews is called? It seems to me to be so ubiquitous that there's not even a word for it, let alone reasearch on it.

An example, the intro from these kinds of articles always goes as such: *over the top adjective* *stupid fact about interviewee* *NAME* *verb* *hot button issue that will never be mentioned again*. I am in *place*, with *ridiculous adjective* *name* *name* and *name*. etc. etc. etc.

So you get 'Lugubrious ham lover Cher hates Sea Sheperds. I am in Lisbon with her symphonic iguanas Flopsy, Mopsy and Cottontail.'

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I'm trying to make a little video in Windows Movie Maker. I edited down all the clips I want to mush together and saved them as separate projects. WMM won't let me import them so I can combine them. How do I make this work?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What are some good wordpress themes for (illustration) art portfolios? Free/pay, either is fine... obviously free would be nicer, though I'm willing to pay for quality. It would also be nice to be able to password-protect individual galleries.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Stupid little question about Adobe Illustrator: why, when using the line width tool to create a variable width border around a closed shape, can't I seem to make the line disappear entirely? Even when I set the width to zero at two separate points, the outline in between retains a line. Example:

The arrows are the two points on the inner circle where I set the line width to zero.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Illustrator seems to have a lot of rendering quirks so it could just be one of those. Is there any reason you can't just fully delete that segment of the path rather than setting the width to zero?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Yip Yips posted:

Illustrator seems to have a lot of rendering quirks so it could just be one of those. Is there any reason you can't just fully delete that segment of the path rather than setting the width to zero?

I've tried it. Every time I do, I guess the math gets all hosed up for the line widths, because it just goes all crazy. So far I've just been going into Photoshop and erasing it manually, but that's kind of a pain in the rear end.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I thought that line would disappear when you save it out but I see it doesn't.

This is kind of bootleg but I had some success using outline stroke, releasing the compound path created, then recreating the compound path with the pathfinder tool (alt + click on minus front). Just using vanilla minus front kind of works but needed a bit of cleanup. It doesn't make much sense but it seems to do the trick.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not and AI pro and there is probably a better solution, but you could just create a red object that blocks the white line that you don't want, then merge them if you need to.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Both of those would work, but the whole reason I wanted to use variable line widths was to avoid all of the unnecessary cutting and pasting and adding and minusing. I guess Adobe just hates me. :sigh:

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
Am I aloud to solicit for an illustrator in CC or do I need to put that in SAMART?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

schwenz posted:

Am I aloud to solicit for an illustrator in CC or do I need to put that in SAMART?

If you want to hire someone, post here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527487

Read the OP though.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

I posted some lovely little story here a year ago, and while the bulk of it was crap, I want to cannibalize the opening paragraph (about the first person to walk on Mars) for something else.

If anybody with an archives account could paste that text into a PM and shoot it my way, I would be very grateful :3: I've only made one or two threads in this subforum, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Suntory BOSS posted:

I posted some lovely little story here a year ago, and while the bulk of it was crap, I want to cannibalize the opening paragraph (about the first person to walk on Mars) for something else.

If anybody with an archives account could paste that text into a PM and shoot it my way, I would be very grateful :3: I've only made one or two threads in this subforum, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Are you sure you posted it on SA? I've looked through your post history and searched on your name, and unless you posted your story on a different account, it doesn't appear to actually be here. You also don't seem to have any threads created in CC - it looks like your only participation before today was the Three-Word Story thread. I even looked in the Gas Chamber and Goldmine to be sure.

(It's possible I skipped over your story when I went through your posts - I admit, I didn't pay close attention to the posts in threads like LAN Japan and How I Met Your Mother - but I don't think so.)

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

Besesoth posted:

Are you sure you posted it on SA? I've looked through your post history and searched on your name, and unless you posted your story on a different account, it doesn't appear to actually be here. You also don't seem to have any threads created in CC - it looks like your only participation before today was the Three-Word Story thread. I even looked in the Gas Chamber and Goldmine to be sure.

(It's possible I skipped over your story when I went through your posts - I admit, I didn't pay close attention to the posts in threads like LAN Japan and How I Met Your Mother - but I don't think so.)

Thanks for checking, and yep I'm 100% certain it was in Creative Convention under this account.

I searched my post history and saw the same thing; I assume any threads/posts that fall off of the first 3 pages are swept off into the archives, which require a special account to view. My two threads would presumably be in there (perhaps mercifully, considering the quality of the stories).

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Suntory BOSS posted:

Thanks for checking, and yep I'm 100% certain it was in Creative Convention under this account.

I searched my post history and saw the same thing; I assume any threads/posts that fall off of the first 3 pages are swept off into the archives, which require a special account to view. My two threads would presumably be in there (perhaps mercifully, considering the quality of the stories).

Found it. Today I learned that the Search and (inexplicably) Post History features exclude posts from the archives. I'll PM you the segment you're looking for.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

Besesoth posted:

Found it. Today I learned that the Search and (inexplicably) Post History features exclude posts from the archives. I'll PM you the segment you're looking for.

Yes!! Thanks a lot, really appreciate you taking the time to help! :cheers:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Hi, this might be a stupid question but the hell with it.

I'm starting to produce audiobooks for a hobby (It may earn paltry levels of USA$, but I doubt I'll be able to claim it. It's an exposure thing anyway) and the first one I got was... bad. Really bad. Warning bells should have rung in my head when the guy didn't sent me the script (Which apparently is a pre-editor copy) until I'd accepted it. I mean hey, man has to get his foot in the door.

ANYWAY. I wanted to know if I should set up a thread about audiobooks, creating them, voicing them and ect in the Creative subforums or the Ask/Tell one. Can anyone give me any pointers?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I'm afraid I won't be much help with regard to starting a thread, but there's a voiceover/voice acting megathread here in CC that you might want to check out. They might be able to guide you a little better on the thread-starting (and audiobook-creating) front.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Much obliged, man. Peace.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Ummm so apparently I applied to a show a couple of months ago, got accepted, and can't afford to pay for the registration fee and to ship my work.

Is there a polite or appropriate way to tell the gallery this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Shnooks posted:

Ummm so apparently I applied to a show a couple of months ago, got accepted, and can't afford to pay for the registration fee and to ship my work.

Is there a polite or appropriate way to tell the gallery this?

I have never been in a show before so I don't know how things are done, but maybe you could tell them that you've encountered some unforeseen financial trouble and find out whether they can assist you with or waive any part of the registration fee?