Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

bobkatt013 posted:

The first arc of that comic should end with them breaking up and it becomes Superman/Lois Lane

Which would likely end with them breaking up the next arc leading to the book becoming like "Batman and..." except it's a Superman bachelor book where he dates and teams up with super powered women for an issue or two before things fall apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^ Superman and Lois will always find each other. That is the way it will always be and should be.

Adam Strange posted:

I've actually always been surprised at how much people seem to dislike JRJR online. He's not my absolute favourite and he can be incredibly sloppy when he's rushing to hit deadlines (hello AvX!!), but I've loved a lot of his work over the years.

I like his art but his people do look boxy and look like they have been punched in the face way too many times. It is not bad when he draws Superheroes or aliens/gods. However, when drawing normal people there is a problem. His father is a hundred times better.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

goldenoreos posted:

Which would likely end with them breaking up the next arc leading to the book becoming like "Batman and..." except it's a Superman bachelor book where he dates and teams up with super powered women for an issue or two before things fall apart.

I would read a "Superman and..." bachelor book, but it should have an issue dedicated to one of his guy friends forcing him to go out and hit the clubs to try to meet girls. Hal Jordan seems like the kind of rear end in a top hat who'd do that, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hey, hey guys. You know what might be a fun book?

A spotlight on Lois only instead of something bad happening, it highlights how she's awesome and kicks rear end and how she, as a human woman, can stand alongside someone like Superman as equals.

Nah, let's just have her get tortured or something.

Fightest
Nov 4, 2009

Great Sage
Equal of Heaven

goldenoreos posted:

Hey fans you all miss Lois Lane right? Well guess what we're going to give you an issue all about her as she has her arms ripped off by Superboy Prime

Mind you, the silver lining is that we'd get Superboy Prime who might punch Steph and Cass into existence.

:smith:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Fightest posted:

Mind you, the silver lining is that we'd get Superboy Prime who might punch Steph and Cass into existence.

:smith:

And Wally.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

ImpAtom posted:

Hey, hey guys. You know what might be a fun book?

A spotlight on Lois only instead of something bad happening, it highlights how she's awesome and kicks rear end and how she, as a human woman, can stand alongside someone like Superman as equals.

Nah, let's just have her get tortured or something.
Jimmy Olsen actually had some really interesting solo titles himself, but I've never read a Lois solo. It'd be neat to see it in a Renee style Question series where she just digs for scoops in a very dangerous world with a bunch of gadgets, but not quite as a cape.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
To be fair, we don't know what horrible things they're going to do to poor Lois.

My money's on "there's a Tailwind-style reporting scandal that leads to Lois getting fired and her reputation being dragged through the mud and she has to go work for Clark Kent's piddly little blog," personally.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

To be fair, we don't know what horrible things they're going to do to poor Lois.

My money's on "there's a Tailwind-style reporting scandal that leads to Lois getting fired and her reputation being dragged through the mud and she has to go work for Clark Kent's piddly little blog," personally.
Oh my god, I haven't been reading Superman and completely forgot about that. I can't even imagine how poorly Lobdell has been managing that.

I know a lot of papers are moving into dirtsheet territory of just celebrity gossip and everything but when you think about it, isn't that always what someone like Peter Parker has done? He's been a paparazzi stalker as long as he's been a character!

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
It wouldn't make sense for the Daily Planet to get rid of Lane, even if they have become tabloid. She is a Pulitzer Prize winner. She gives that paper legitimacy.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Revol posted:

It wouldn't make sense for the Daily Planet to get rid of Lane, even if they have become tabloid. She is a Pulitzer Prize winner. She gives that paper legitimacy.

Not that it really matters, The Planet's owner is just for the sales content be damned. That's why Clark walked away in the first place, if anything it would made sense for Lois to follow in his footsteps.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Once again Adventures of Superman is really good and much better than everything Lobdell has done with the character.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

That's totally it, then she has to move in with Clark and sitcom style shenanigans and misunderstandings between them and Diana form the crux of that Superman/Wonder Woman series when it's not punchy punchy stuff.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's totally it, then she has to move in with Clark and sitcom style shenanigans and misunderstandings between them and Diana form the crux of that Superman/Wonder Woman series when it's not punchy punchy stuff.

Nope too good of an idea.

She gets not hulk powers and becomes superman's enemy when she's on the rag and nobody ever puts it together that Ragrage is Lois.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So Psionic War is all about Brainiac and Hammond, really obvious in hindsight.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
We're only on issue 2, but Batman/Superman is easily one of the best things DC has put out in years. I know this all will probably be undone with some kind of mindwipe, but in the meantime I'm gonna enjoy every second of this.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I bought the first one and loved Jae Lee's art but Pak's writing left a lot to be desired. Is it about on the same level in the second issue?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
The second issue is a huge emotional beat upwards, as both heroes meet their counterparts and get filled in on the history of Earth 2. We also get internal monologue boxes from the Earth-2 counterparts to contrast with the prime heroes. Issue 1 was all setup, issue 2 is diving right into the meat of the story.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Ma Kent's moment was really touching. I'm surprised that it almost got to me.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I bought the first one and loved Jae Lee's art but Pak's writing left a lot to be desired. Is it about on the same level in the second issue?

I felt it was the other way around for issue 2.

As much as I love Lee's art it just doesn't seem the right match for the story Pak is telling. Not that Pak is knocking it out of the park or anything but he's going for heartfelt, ultimately upbeat moments and Lee is covering everybody in shadow.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Interestingly enough, I thought the best part of #1 was those bright, pastoral interpretations of Clark's childhood on the farm.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So Psionic War is all about Brainiac and Hammond, really obvious in hindsight.

Wait, has Brainiac even been in the New 52? I mean, I know the "Collector of Worlds" from the first Action Comics arc was basically him, but has the character ever been referred to by that name? Whatever, Lobdell probably just thought "Huh, I wanna write a Brainiac story. gently caress IT I'M DOIN' IT"

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Popped up in Threshold.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And he will have his own issue on september.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
The new Superman issue sums up Lobdell in a nutshell: okay ideas when bulleted out on paper, terrible in execution. The idea of HIVE having to do with Brainiac is an interesting twist, but it shouldn't come in the 3rd to last issue of a 7-issue arc, because it guarantees almost nothing meaningful is going to happen with it in the next 2 issues. And on paper, Cat and Clark's blogging adventures sounds at least halfway interesting, but re-reading all the issues, it's a subplot that's barely been given any page time. Speaking of Lobdell annoyances, I can't stand his constant switching between thought bubbles and speech. Superman standing on the building was having 2/3 of a conversation in his head, then loudly shouting the rest like a loving loon. And that's on top of the narrator boxes from nowhere.

If Lobdell just plotted and let someone else do the actual dialogue and action scenes, I bet the book would improve a thousandfold. It still wouldn't be GREAT, but it would certainly be BETTER.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Spaceman Bill posted:

Popped up in Threshold.

Oh. I just wanted to have my 2 minutes hate in for Lobdell but he was actually in the right. Dang.

Realism
Sep 16, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Once again Adventure of Superman is the best Superman title on the market.

That, Smallville and Superman Beyond.

It's hilarious how good Smallville is compared to the crappy TV show.

But anyways, today I learned to never read the comments section on any Superman vs. Batman youtube vids, what a bunch of close-minded folks who never read a comic book.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Superman Annual 2 was kind of.. okay. Nothing great, but maybe one of the more competent things Lobdell has written. Jurgens' art was a LOT cleaner here than when he was doing the book himself. Made me a little nostalgic for the 90's, for just a moment.

One thing that sticks out to me is the new changes that have occurred with Lois. Lobdell said in some interview that a lot of the stuff that happens in PsiWar will have huge implications down the road. My mind immediately went to "well, Lois knows Clark is Superman in Man of Steel, I wonder if she's going to use her powers and have that happen in the comics too." After all, they already brought over other things from Man of Steel, and Zod is getting a push soon, so it's possible. Although it does seem a little out there if only because that would be real development in the new status quo, and I just can't see DC getting behind something that moves the story ahead meaningfully.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God, I hope so. That was one of the best things in Man of Steel.

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013
Adventures of Superman #3 was the weakest so far. It's not bad, way better than the main Superman title, but not on the same level as #1 and #2. Though I admit it's just 'cause I hate it when Darkseid is thrown into Superman stories for no reason.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
The joke I made on Twitter was '"Man, I hope Lois Lane being awesome in Man of Steel leads to her getting more prominence in the comics - maybe even her own annual!" Oops.'

I may have to eat my words, because while the annual doesn't sound like any great shakes, I am 100% down with Lois learning who Superman is because of all the reasons Chris Bird lists here.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

ImpAtom posted:

God, I hope so. That was one of the best things in Man of Steel.

But she needs superpowers to figure it out?! In the movie, Lois Lane used her one super power: her intelligence.

Baby Broomer posted:

Though I admit it's just 'cause I hate it when Darkseid is thrown into Superman stories for no reason.

Is there something wrong with using Darkseid as opposed to someone else?

(Why are we spoiling things? I thought the rule was, if a comic book is out, then it's not a spoiler?)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Also that comic has been out for a while since its digital release first.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Okay, this seems like a good place to ask about this.

At some point when I was a little kid I had a big oversized Superman comic. I don't just mean a double-sized issue, I mean the pages were huge, it was probably double the area of your typical comic book. What I specifically remember about the plot was that, surprise, someone's trying to kill Superman, and apparently the way this goes down is that:

1. He's got some sort of fumigator in the Fortress of Solitude that periodically sprays out some spray to kill off any microscopic germs he might happen to carry back from his interplanetary journeys.
2. This spray's been sabotaged somehow to do [something] which results in
3. Some giant pet ant-creature he keeps in a big glass pen seeing
4. This alien yellow flower, the sight of which drives the big ant-creature berzerk with rage since it hates the color yellow
5. So it breaks out and rampages around and [something something] with
6. A cache of hideously powerful alien weaponry Superman's confiscated from some interplanetary conflict somewhere but hasn't yet gotten around to disposing of in
7. A big pit of acid or something in the basement that he uses to dispose of things like hideously powerful alien weapons.
8. There's an earth-shattering kaboom and everyone dies.

But then Superman figures all this out and uses his super-strength to pinch closed the nozzles of the fumigator so instead all that exactly nothing happens.

What the gently caress *was* this comic? This would probably have been around 1980 or so.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Phanatic posted:

Okay, this seems like a good place to ask about this.

At some point when I was a little kid I had a big oversized Superman comic. I don't just mean a double-sized issue, I mean the pages were huge, it was probably double the area of your typical comic book. What I specifically remember about the plot was that, surprise, someone's trying to kill Superman, and apparently the way this goes down is that:

1. He's got some sort of fumigator in the Fortress of Solitude that periodically sprays out some spray to kill off any microscopic germs he might happen to carry back from his interplanetary journeys.
2. This spray's been sabotaged somehow to do [something] which results in
3. Some giant pet ant-creature he keeps in a big glass pen seeing
4. This alien yellow flower, the sight of which drives the big ant-creature berzerk with rage since it hates the color yellow
5. So it breaks out and rampages around and [something something] with
6. A cache of hideously powerful alien weaponry Superman's confiscated from some interplanetary conflict somewhere but hasn't yet gotten around to disposing of in
7. A big pit of acid or something in the basement that he uses to dispose of things like hideously powerful alien weapons.
8. There's an earth-shattering kaboom and everyone dies.

But then Superman figures all this out and uses his super-strength to pinch closed the nozzles of the fumigator so instead all that exactly nothing happens.

What the gently caress *was* this comic? This would probably have been around 1980 or so.

Pretty sure that's the giant size book called Superman and his Incredible Fortress of Solitude. I think DC published a reprint of that not too long ago. I never picked it up though. At one point he kicks back and drinks a milkshake. It's pretty fantastic.

X-O fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 2, 2013

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013

Revol posted:

Is there something wrong with using Darkseid as opposed to someone else?

(Why are we spoiling things? I thought the rule was, if a comic book is out, then it's not a spoiler?)

Like I said, nothing but my own strange bias and I still enjoyed the issue. Also, wasn't aware of that rule OR that Adventures was a digital release first. I'll go sit in the corner now.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Deadpool posted:

Pretty sure that's the giant size book called Superman and his Incredible Fortress of Solitude. I think DC published a reprint of that not too long ago. I never picked it up though. At one point he kicks back and drinks a milkshake. It's pretty fantastic.

I googled that and saw the cover and that is absolutely it. Thanks.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
This month's Action Comics made me realize that I've very rarely seen Superman kick someone. I wonder why that is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey guys, I thought you might appreciate this meta-commentary from this week's issue of Injustice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Is the Injustice comic worth reading? That page makes me want to give it a shot.

• Locked thread