Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
SMBU is great if you can get past the fact that it controls like a Mario game. That is to say, badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

robodex posted:

I've noticed if the controller isn't plugged into power the brightness is lower. Could that be it?

nah it is definite color differences. Web indigo and dye indigo are very different colors. one is closer to a purple than the other. And that is the difference I have on my screen.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Syfe posted:

Anyway, is New Super Mario Bros Wii U better than the one on Wii?

It's a Mario game in HD. Honestly, just buy it out of the sheer novelty (and yes it's very good).

robodex posted:

SMBU is great if you can get past the fact that it controls like a Mario game. That is to say, badly.
...What?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah sorry the jumping and momentum in those games is 100% consistent every time. You can tell they sat there with hit boxes on trying stuff over and over again to get it just right.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

My issue with NSMB Wii was that the running and jumping was very... mushy? I wish I had a better way to describe it but I suppose at least other people recognize this. Also my boyfriend tends to like it because it plays like the original Mario Bros. rather than any of the later games. That is to say, he loves the mushy qualities. :psyduck:

Still we got Lego City Undercover and he really insisted on buying Tank! Tank! Tank! (it was on sale, so it wasn't an expensive purchase if it's the failure of a game everybody says it is).

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

robodex posted:

I'd hate to hear what platformers you think control well.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
The rumored, then confirmed, then subsequently unconfirmed Wii U version of CoD: Ghosts was just re-confirmed.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=521161881285023&set=a.322420547825825.71668.322374604497086&type=1&theater

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
What the hell are you doing, Activision? :psyduck: It's not that surprising, given that Black Ops 2 was on Wii U as well, so it's not like they didn't have an engine for it, but what the hell is with the confirmed-unconfirmed-confirmed bullshit?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Crowbear posted:

The rumored, then confirmed, then subsequently unconfirmed Wii U version of CoD: Ghosts was just re-confirmed.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=521161881285023&set=a.322420547825825.71668.322374604497086&type=1&theater

They were probably trying to see if Treyarch was going to actually put effort into the Wii U version. To see if they could even say it was going to have the "new" engine.

EDIT: That Chris Goodman guy has bad taste. Why is he asking for a RE:ORC port for the Wii U?!

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 25, 2013

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

They're intentionally trying to murder their sales so they don't need to do a three platform release going forward? I dunno what else could explain it.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Artix posted:

What the hell are you doing, Activision? :psyduck: It's not that surprising, given that Black Ops 2 was on Wii U as well, so it's not like they didn't have an engine for it, but what the hell is with the confirmed-unconfirmed-confirmed bullshit?

Activision is passive aggressively trying to screw with Nintendo.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Remember when Modern Warfare eventually came out on Wii, and the only screenshots that they made sure to release were super early production ones that looked a zillion times worse than the game ended up? When they went out of their way to delete real game footage off youtube eventhough it made the game look way better than their officially released screenshots?

Activision

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
I dunno why Activision's been playing coy about it, but Treyarch just confirmed that they're handling the port (like they did for the Wii versions of IW games) and it'll have pointer controls and off-screen play "second screen Wii-U gamepad support".

e: The Wii U is getting a Star Wars game :toot:

quote:

SANTA MONICA, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– Activision Publishing, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI), continues to support the Wii U™ system with some of the biggest franchises in entertainment, including the highly anticipated Call of Duty®: Ghosts and the next game in the best-selling kids’ franchise, Skylanders SWAP Force™, as well as Angry Birds Trilogy™, Angry Birds™ Star Wars®, SpongeBob SquarePants™: Plankton’s Robotic Revenge and Wipeout™ Create & Crash.

Those sure are some real bangers.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 25, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Watch CoD Ghosts not sell many copies, and then we can repeat the tired old "third-party games don't sell on Nintendo consoles" argument again for the millionth time.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Small question, I have a 3ds and play lots of Monster Hunter. A friend of mine got a WiiU that has no controller. I read that you can control the WiiU with the 3ds too. Is that possible? Because I might get it just so that I can go online for Monster Hunter.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Syfe posted:

My issue with NSMB Wii was that the running and jumping was very... mushy? I wish I had a better way to describe it but I suppose at least other people recognize this. Also my boyfriend tends to like it because it plays like the original Mario Bros. rather than any of the later games. That is to say, he loves the mushy qualities. :psyduck:

This is pretty much it. It's by design; the controls just feel loose and I just found precision jumping and whatnot to be very difficult. I never really felt I got used to the controls in the entire time I played it.

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'd hate to hear what platformers you think control well.

VVVVV springs to mind, although it's technically a different genre. But in that game the controls were a lot... Tighter?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

robodex posted:

This is pretty much it. It's by design; the controls just feel loose and I just found precision jumping and whatnot to be very difficult. I never really felt I got used to the controls in the entire time I played it.

VVVVV springs to mind, although it's technically a different genre. But in that game the controls were a lot... Tighter?
Doesn't VVVVVV just not give your character any momentum at all? That's not so much "tighter" control as it is different.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Pikmin 3 rules. Buy it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FrickenMoron posted:

Small question, I have a 3ds and play lots of Monster Hunter. A friend of mine got a WiiU that has no controller. I read that you can control the WiiU with the 3ds too. Is that possible? Because I might get it just so that I can go online for Monster Hunter.

No, you can't use the 3DS as a controller. You can use your Wii U to tether your 3DS to play MH3U online. This is a pain in the rear end though because you'll need a wired connection for the Wii U as, apparently, the 3DS takes up the Wii U's wireless connection it'd use to connect to a router. I believe there's a special ethernet to USB thing you'll need for the Wii U.

njsykora posted:

Pikmin 3 rules. Buy it.

I will... when it gets released. :smith:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The wired connection would not be a problem. I can't operate the WiiU at all though without a controller for it right?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Minidust posted:

Doesn't VVVVVV just not give your character any momentum at all? That's not so much "tighter" control as it is different.

Yeah. It also means that Captain Viridian kind of skids to a stop instead of stopping completely when you let go of the button. Which often leads to his death if you stopped moving near a hazard. I'm not sure if I would call that good controls.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

The wired connection would not be a problem. I can't operate the WiiU at all though without a controller for it right?

Nope, and if your friend got a console without a Gamepad then he was ripped off. They need to go together.

I don't know what that scammer thought they could do by keeping the Gamepad, though. It doesn't work without the console. Maybe they doubled the ripoff action by selling the Gamepad to someone else?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
My only problem with NSMB U is that most of the music is recycled from NSMB Wii, otherwise it's a great platformer.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Kurtofan posted:

My only problem with NSMB U is that most of the music is recycled from NSMB Wii, otherwise it's a great platformer.

The same could be said about NSMB2 regarding the music. It really is just laziness, especially since the main theme changed (And is far better than the Wii version.)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FrickenMoron posted:

No, you'll need a gamepad or Wiimote.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I have a friend with a WiiU, could he somehow set up the system that way that I dont need a gamepad anymore to start MH3U online? Well I guess I'll skip on buying it if its impossible to use the console itself without the controller.

Edit: Using a Wiimote or any other controller other than the official pad would work too? I might get this thing for as cheap as 50$ after all.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 25, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Sakurai mentioned recently that the reason they don't add fighting game characters to Smash Bros. is because people already know how they are in fighting games so there's no point. Mega Man is an exception since he wasn't originally known as a fighting game character. Also, Sakurai confirmed in Famitsu that Smash will have no story mode or cut scenes because people leak stuff on the Internet. There will still be a separate mode from standard versus play in the 3DS version.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

I have a friend with a WiiU, could he somehow set up the system that way that I dont need a gamepad anymore to start MH3U online? Well I guess I'll skip on buying it if its impossible to use the console itself without the controller.

Edit: Using a Wiimote or any other controller other than the official pad would work too? I might get this thing for as cheap as 50$ after all.

Here's the deal - you need a Gamepad to get things started for the initial setup, which might already be done if your buddy somehow got a Wii U without a Gamepad. Gamepads can be synced to different systems, so you could borrow one if you need. Now, if you only want to play Monster Hunter, you could buy a Pro Controller, they're being cleared out of most Wal-Marts for 20-30 bucks. You can control the menus with it and boot up Monster Hunter no problem. Later down the road, you could call Nintendo and tell them you lost your Gamepad and need a new one. They run 140 plus shipping from Nintendo, so it's not cheap, but if you just want to play Monster Hunter now with the option of playing other games later, you could probably do worse. For 50 bucks, I'd probably take the plunge.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just throwing this out there but the best platformer control wise is Rayman Origins hands down (and Legends if the challenge app is anything to go by.)

I've had no real issue's with NSMBU personally but gotta respect the new king of platformers :v:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Also, Sakurai confirmed in Famitsu that Smash will have no story mode or cut scenes because people leak stuff on the Internet. There will still be a separate mode from standard versus play in the 3DS version.

So Smash on Wii U is going to be verses play only? I really enjoyed the single player story/campaigns in those games. I honestly don't know if I'm interested in a verses only Smash Bros.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

So Smash on Wii U is going to be verses play only? I really enjoyed the single player story/campaigns in those games. I honestly don't know if I'm interested in a verses only Smash Bros.

Me too.

But don't worry - them not wanting anything leaked so they take things out makes perfect sense. Every company does that!

Ugh

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

katkillad2 posted:

I really doubt it's going to be multiplayer only.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There can be single player without a Story Mode. The Classic Modes found in every game, as well as Melee's Adventure Mode, are all storyless.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Supercar Gautier posted:

There can be single player without a Story Mode. The Classic Modes found in every game, as well as Melee's Adventure Mode, are all storyless.

That and the trophies, Events, Smash the target, stadium mode...

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Supercar Gautier posted:

Plus he's already said before that there will be a single-player mode.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Subspace Emissary wasn't as polished or as enjoyable as Adventure Mode in Melee, and I was kinda disappointed to not have it in Brawl. I liked how there were ways you could change how it would play out, and end up with different encounters, like Luigi, Giant Kirby, or Metal Mario (and Luigi).

I'd rather have every character get their own storyline, with stages and fights designed for them specifically, such as a Mario stage that revolves around wall jumping. Actually, Break the Targets was like that in Melee, but it was changed to five generic stages that all characters would use.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

robodex posted:

Defend yourself you ape.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
The logic behind not making a story mode because of people spoiling cutscenes is completely insane.

Hey guys we just canceled Star Wars Episode 7 just to make sure nobody leaks the ending onto message boards

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Rocco posted:

The logic behind not making a story mode because of people spoiling cutscenes is completely insane.

Hey guys we just canceled Star Wars Episode 7 just to make sure nobody leaks the ending onto message boards
haha yeah, hoping that was some kind if misquote or mistranslation, cuz it's indefensibly stupid if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Minidust posted:

haha yeah, hoping that was some kind if misquote or mistranslation, cuz it's indefensibly stupid if true.

It has to be. I give these guys more credit than that. By this logic we shouldn't make anything with a narrative ever again.

• Locked thread