Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

Nope. This is typical for alternator and starter rebuilds from the big chains. You'll eventually either get 1.) lucky and be handed a good one or 2.) tired of changing it every 6 months and buy a quality rebuild from a good parts store (or have your junk one rebuilt).

If you live in a moderately decent sized city, your bound to find a guy or two that will rebuild them from the poo poo you bring in, unless it is really really far gone.

My local one guy was pretty cool and kept a couple of the more common ones on the shelf. Literally a 5 minute transaction. Handed him my old one, he handed me a new one, some cash getting exchanged and a receipt. I never really looked at the warranty, but I never needed to use it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

If you live in a moderately decent sized city, your bound to find a guy or two that will rebuild them from the poo poo you bring in, unless it is really really far gone.

My local one guy was pretty cool and kept a couple of the more common ones on the shelf. Literally a 5 minute transaction. Handed him my old one, he handed me a new one, some cash getting exchanged and a receipt. I never really looked at the warranty, but I never needed to use it :v:

Yep. I'm lucky enough to still have a good shop about 30 minutes from the house. It's the kind of place you can bring the beat rear end alternator off of your F150 and tell them "I'm putting a plow on....juice it" and for $100 they hand you back an alternator putting out 75% more than it did when it was brand new. Or bring them your Porsche starter and tell them it keeps getting killed because it's 4" from the ground due to "superior German engineering" and they do.....stuff to make that not happen anymore.

The lovely rover alternator is going in next now that I've got the dual batteries hooked up.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Motronic posted:

Yep. I'm lucky enough to still have a good shop about 30 minutes from the house. It's the kind of place you can bring the beat rear end alternator off of your F150 and tell them "I'm putting a plow on....juice it" and for $100 they hand you back an alternator putting out 75% more than it did when it was brand new. Or bring them your Porsche starter and tell them it keeps getting killed because it's 4" from the ground due to "superior German engineering" and they do.....stuff to make that not happen anymore.

The lovely rover alternator is going in next now that I've got the dual batteries hooked up.

You think a rewinder could work any magic on a 42A generator? I'm still not 100% sure if it's a slight breakdown in translation from Russian to English or whether it actually is a generator.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The caliper I had replaced a few months ago's e-brake spring and mechanism thingo locked up and ground down the rotors and pads to both sides of the rear wheels. Luckily, Auutozone covered everything under warranty and threw in some free stuff because I waited for about 15 minutes while they got rid of most of the customers that seemed more like lost sheep.

Broken stuff:

New stuff:

Obligatory car shot:

(before I get scolded about how unsafe that is, I have two jackstands under both sides and one next to my little cardboard strip)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

Obligatory car shot:

(before I get scolded about how unsafe that is, I have two jackstands under both sides and one next to my little cardboard strip)

Someone seems to have swiped your jackstands with megaphones.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm actually kind of surprised that my regular Ion has the same spoiler as the redline version.

Bumper and exhaust are completely different though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised that my regular Ion has the same spoiler as the redline version.

Bumper and exhaust are completely different though.

Anything's better than that ugly hi-rise they have on some of the RL's.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

General_Failure posted:

You think a rewinder could work any magic on a 42A generator? I'm still not 100% sure if it's a slight breakdown in translation from Russian to English or whether it actually is a generator.

Probably. And they'll be able to tell you if it's a generator or alternator as soon as they open it, as you likely know - if there are 4 rectifier diodes it's an alternator.

THe guys at my place play musical parts among other things to juice alternators. Depending on just how unique yours is they may or may not have that option.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Tusen Takk posted:

Anything's better than that ugly hi-rise they have on some of the RL's.

There's a Redline around here with the SS hi-rise on it and it looks alright to me. And gently caress you and STR, hi-rise for life.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
It passed its MOT. :woop: Only 3 advisories too, all of which are trivial poo poo to fix. They even replaced a burnt out sidelight bulb free, I've finally found a good garage here. :shobon:

*E* Emissions were 10% of the limit what witchcraft is this. :ohdear:

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 24, 2013

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

jammyozzy posted:

It passed its MOT. :woop: Only 3 advisories too, all of which are trivial poo poo to fix. They even replaced a burnt out sidelight bulb free, I've finally found a good garage here. :shobon:

*E* Emissions were 10% of the limit what witchcraft is this. :ohdear:

I would never go to an MOT garage that didn't replace bulbs for free! They cost about 20p to buy!
I got free wiper blades at my last car MOT, and my landrover MOT's always include a free brake adjustment! :cool: (The brake adjustment is always on the free retest after its inevitable fail on leaky wheel cylinders and I think he possibly just does it so that he doesn't have to see it again for another 12 months!)

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I've had a garage my dad recommended me fail my car for a burnt out high brake-light bulb (1 of 8). After charging to replace it I found they'd broken the housing causing the whole light assembly to fall out and illuminate the boot instead. He seemed completely fine paying for this.

I try to tell him in nicer words but he can be a bit of a chump sometimes. :shobon:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Cloned it :v:

My XC has a nice interior and sound mechanicals but a couple of the panels have big creases across body lines and the hood is badly rock chipped. I found a cheap parts car in the same color on Craigslist so I pounced on it. I'm gonna swap the panels I need and scrap the rest.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Motronic posted:

if there are 4 rectifier diodes it's an alternator.

6, surely?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Ordered a pair of these for the Cruiser.

http://lightforce.net.au/hid/products/hid_240_xgt/240XGThid50w

They're certainly not cheap lights, but I got 9yrs out of a set of old 240XGT Halogens that were converted with an ebay HID kit (the only legal HID conversion in Australia is doing driving lights)before the reflectors finally started to dull, Since it would have cost me $250 each for the XGT halogens, plus another $300 for a new HID kit to suit, and it voids both the warranty and waterproofing of the light to fit one, I decided to get the factory fitted HID ones. Still $650 a light!

Should have them tomorrow :D

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Fucknag posted:

6, surely?

Why 6?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ferremit posted:

Ordered a pair of these for the Cruiser.

http://lightforce.net.au/hid/products/hid_240_xgt/240XGThid50w

They're certainly not cheap lights, but I got 9yrs out of a set of old 240XGT Halogens that were converted with an ebay HID kit (the only legal HID conversion in Australia is doing driving lights)before the reflectors finally started to dull, Since it would have cost me $250 each for the XGT halogens, plus another $300 for a new HID kit to suit, and it voids both the warranty and waterproofing of the light to fit one, I decided to get the factory fitted HID ones. Still $650 a light!

Should have them tomorrow :D

I've used those on 3 different rescue boats and too many trucks to list. They are really, really nice lights, and even better considering the price.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

3 phase alternator, 2 diodes per phase.

Unless I'm an idiot and the Lada uses a 2-phase or something.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I popped a P0401 - Insufficient EGR Flow yesterday so I spent the morning removing the EGR valve on my Camry, I found the port on the intake completely plugged the gently caress up.

Like, it was stopped up so completely I could start the engine and drive the car around as normal with the EGR Valve removed. Once I got the plug of carbon scraped out it presented me with the expected symptoms of a massive vacuum leak.

The Vac Control Valve on mine is different but this was a very helpful guide
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/103-3rd-4th-generation-1992-1996-1997-2001/357502-diy-1mz-egr-code-p0401-p0402-diagnostic-repair.html

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 25, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Fucknag posted:

3 phase alternator, 2 diodes per phase.

Unless I'm an idiot and the Lada uses a 2-phase or something.

Of course! That makes sense. I was thinking of a simple bridge rectifier setup. Possibly from ACVWs or something. I'll study its manual a bit more. In some ways it's a great book, in other ways not so much. It has cutaways and everything but gleaning useful information can be like a treasure hunt.

Today, before the sun has even woken up I fixed the non-functional reverse lights on the Niva again. It was just the blade connector on the switch. Gave it a pinch with pliers and put it back on. Also gave a tyre a top-up with the foot pump.

Got the Fairlane started and it's idling away out there with its lights on to give the battery a bit of a charge. For some reason its serp belt isn't squeaking now. I'm not complaining, but it's just odd. As far as I could tell when things were leaking they weren't touching the belt.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Motronic posted:

I've used those on 3 different rescue boats and too many trucks to list. They are really, really nice lights, and even better considering the price.

I've NEVER had an issue with Lightforce lights- even when my XGT's popped seals and got water on the reflectors they still outperformed anything not HID at the time. Lightforce are a drat good company to deal with too- Dad had a tree limb jump out in front of his car in a storm and it shattered the cover and broke the housing on one of his blitz lights. Rang Lightforce to enquire bout the cost of a new one, considering they were 5yr old lights and they only have a 1yr warranty and they sent an entire reflector assembly and a pair of new covers out free of charge!

I'll support that kind of company!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ferremit posted:

Dad had a tree limb jump out in front of his car in a storm and it shattered the cover and broke the housing on one of his blitz lights. Rang Lightforce to enquire bout the cost of a new one, considering they were 5yr old lights and they only have a 1yr warranty and they sent an entire reflector assembly and a pair of new covers out free of charge!

I had a similar situation happen but assumed we got treated that way because we are a fire department. Guess not, and that just makes them even better.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Replaced the rear brake hardware, I developed a weird squeal from the rear end yesterday, took the drum off and one of my return springs had snapped and was scraping on the drum. And of course the hardware kit I got from AZ only had 2 new hold-down springs instead of 4 so I had to leave the old poo poo on until I can get back up there later.

gently caress doing drum brakes in direct sunlight.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Fucknag posted:

gently caress doing drum brakes

Enough said.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EightBit posted:

Enough said.

Seriously, the biggest single reason I want to convert the rear on my GMC to disc is to never do drums again.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Oh come on! They aren't that bad. Rears are a bit of a hassle with the parking brake lever thingy, but they aren't that hard once you've done a couple of them. I'm actually intimidated by disc brakes because I worry about having to compress the pistons etc.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Disc brakes have 2 moving parts, 2 bolts and a rubber seal. That's it. 3 if it's a rear caliper with ratcheting parking brake piston.

Compared to having to finagle 2 shoes, the adjuster, adjuster arm and parking lever in 8 different directions to get all the springs attached without everthing flying apart, I'll take discs any day.

E: Also I had to gently caress with the little circle clip that holds the wheel cylinder on. This motherfucker:

drat thing has popped off multiple times since I put the new cylinders on earlier this year. Seriously, GM, what's wrong with bolts? You can even use Torx heads, really, I don't mind!

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 26, 2013

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Raluek posted:

Oh come on! They aren't that bad. Rears are a bit of a hassle with the parking brake lever thingy, but they aren't that hard once you've done a couple of them. I'm actually intimidated by disc brakes because I worry about having to compress the pistons etc.

Yes, they are. If you have a problem compressing a caliper piston, how in the hell do you deal with leaking wheel cylinders, and all those stupid springs going every where? Oh, and which shoe goes where? And EVERYTHING YOU HAVE TO TOUCH coated with brake dust? Drums suck.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Cracking open a drum and having a nice pile of cancer dust come spilling out. Yeah, gently caress that.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I just take all of my drums over to Cuba to have them professionally rebuilt by Manuel who chooses to do so by hand - now that I can legally do so. :colbert:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well that was loving fun. Drove downtown and back during rush hour, must have stalled out like 8 loving times from the heat. Gettin real sick of this truck's poo poo.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Got it back from the shop ($4k in hail damage) and got new tires put on. Of course since the shop cleaned it perfectly a bird shat on it during dinner.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Pirelli P-Zeros?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Conti DWs. After purchase, tax, shipping, and installation they came out to about 850.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Made a mess of it. Why are cars built around the heater core? Photos will be in my thread when I get around to it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Big Jesus posted:

Conti DWs. After purchase, tax, shipping, and installation they came out to about 850.

I'm enjoying mine quite a bit. Sidewall is a bit soft.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
hosed around with my new ELM327 dongle and Torque. My LTFT1 is 8, LTFT2 is 3. Ugh.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
The plan was to get the GTV inspected for road worthyness this week, but I had to give up because on the four handbrake adjustment mechanisms in the rear calipers did not work. I should get a working caliper next week. Anyway, I patched up the rust front fenders and put on a temporary black paint on the sills without any sanding or putty. The plan is to paint the lower portion red once the car is street legal and I have time.

EDIT: On the other project: The 75 Turbo is now running on a (soon-to-be sequential) Megasquirt 3 ECU (spark & injection). Still several things to do before hitting the track:
- New throttle cable. The current one is stick way too much to be drivable.
- Find and fix a leak in the exhaust manifold area.
- More proper air filter setup, just a temporary fix at the moment.
- Hoses for the breather system.
- Mapping. Initially with the tunerstudio autotune.
- Ball joints for the caster rods instead on the current rubber-polyurethane mix. Wheel alignment.
- Transaxle oil change
(- Spark plud leads in proper length)
(- Tidying up the wirings)
(- Get rid of the blue silicone hoses)

I also painted an alternative valve cover for the 75:

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 27, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What is up with that S-curve radiator hose? Why not just have the connection on the block come straight out the front and have one 90 degree bend, or just do two 90 degree bends instead of two 180 degree bends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I want to see much, much more of this car. 75s are so awesome.