Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

This is so bad it wrapped four times back around to absolutely hilarious, and also what this guy said

MrChips posted:

That's terrible, but it would be hilarious to take that car to a Honda dealership and tell the service people that "my car is doing a funny thing please help" with a confused and concerned look on your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sinestro posted:

The European VW people did it out of a hipsteresque desire to seem poor, and the human centipede of stupidity that is modern car culture brought it to the US VW scene, then to the Honda scene, and on to everyone else.

They did it because by law in most of the EU, the tire tread cannot extend past the fenders. So you put a narrow tire on a wide wheel, that way you can have stupid wide wheels and lots of poke, while still staying within the letter of the law.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Oh, so it is more like mad tyte JDM fucks putting shoshinsha stickers on their cars.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

KozmoNaut posted:

They did it because by law in most of the EU, the tire tread cannot extend past the fenders. So you put a narrow tire on a wide wheel, that way you can have stupid wide wheels and lots of poke, while still staying within the letter of the law.
Actually, these days, not only the tire, but also the edge of the rim can't extend past the fender, so you don't see that as much these days. Usually, people stretch the fender as well, since that's the easiest way to comply with the law and have your car legally registered.

Stretched tires are even more complicated because tires have to be legally approved by the manufacturer for the rim dimension you want to use. Obviously, most manufacturers don't certify stretched tires. Without the approval from the manufacturer, it's basically impossible to register your car.

And even then, at least in Germany (where the VW tuning scene supposedly gave birth to the idea of tire stretching as far as I've heard), the inspector has a certain amount of personal discretion. Crazy stretch, such as the one you see on some American cars, simply won't fly here.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Who amongst us hasn't wished we had something like this we could deploy from the driver's seat when appropriate?

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Stretched Tires. Not even Once. Let's talk about reduced contact patches and how they affect traction. Looks like there's room for at least an inch more tread width on each (awesome red) wheel.

animeliker posted:

Stretching doesn't even look good. I've never understood the attraction.

:frogout:

Actually don't do it you will die

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Stretched Tires. Not even Once. Let's talk about reduced contact patches and how they affect traction. Looks like there's room for at least an inch more tread width on each (awesome red) wheel.

No dude don't you see it's a way to have the same contact patch as stock but still have maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad rims.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Holdbrooks posted:

Where do I find pictures of the finished project.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SaNChEzZ posted:

Where do I find pictures of the finished project.

That's just a low blow.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Holdbrooks posted:

Looks like a prolapse.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Powershift posted:

That's just a low blow.

No I'm 100% serious. I want to drive that so hard. Judging by his avatar it was finished? Am I not in the know about this..

E: found it. Marvelous.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 25, 2013

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Wow, it's a real life SR:TT car!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

No I'm 100% serious. I want to drive that so hard. Judging by his avatar it was finished? Am I not in the know about this..

E: found it. Marvelous.

And then you don't post a pic or link, shame on you

Build thread here.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is it bad that the thing I'm most upset about on that car is the winch?

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is it bad that the thing I'm most upset about on that car is the winch?
Only because that means you must have missed the carbon fiber headlights.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I was going to say "well that's because it's a race car" but then I realized it has no cage.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I don't think that wing is supposed to be at that severe of a angle either.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
No, the fact that it's highly modified and those look like OEM mirrors. That's what is the worse thing about that car.

Marauder Stig
Oct 28, 2010

One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts lie behind that mask. What dreams of chronic sustained cruelty.

Did someone read the necronomicon?

Also content:

How are those wheels not breaking under weight of that hummer?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Because wood is pretty strong and that H2 only weighs like 3.5tons or something

e: Hell that might even be an H3 which is like 5500 lbs

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Marauder Stig posted:

Also content:

The Amish are pretty good at doing what they do.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

That thing must ride like a jackhammer. Buckle up, but don't forget your hockey helmets and mouth guards, kids!

Are those wheels skinned with iron?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Marauder Stig posted:

I hope Doc Brown can get the train up to 88mph.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 25, 2013

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Marauder Stig posted:

Pffft. Amateur.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAOf7IFmCB4

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Marauder Stig posted:

Also content:

Wrong thread, although it would have been better with a better car.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Tactical Bonnet posted:

It was okay the moment F1 did it :allears:

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pretty sure that front tire's stretched from forces at turn-in (coincidentally, the best kind of stretch).

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
From a performance standpoint, you get the most grip when the rim is a little wider than the tread of the tire. Unless you are forced to by the rules, as in some classes of auto-x, it's generally not worth it to cram as much tire on the wheel as possible.

Of course, this has nothing to do with the trend to stretch tires and do the hellaflush fitment thing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

DropShadow posted:

Who amongst us hasn't wished we had something like this we could deploy from the driver's seat when appropriate?

You mean something like this?

They used to have a scrolling messageboard version, no idea what happened to it.

MrChips posted:

That's terrible, but it would be hilarious to take that car to a Honda dealership and tell the service people that "my car is doing a funny thing please help" with a confused and concerned look on your face.

I laughed way, way harder than I should at this.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

Fucknag posted:

No dude don't you see it's a way to have the same contact patch as stock but still have maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad rims.

Or you could put fat, sticky tires on it and not drive your car into a loving ditch. v:v:v

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Came out of my bank this afternoon to see this parked outside. Ugliest seats ever, plus this isn't the part of town you bring nice things to. :psypop:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
To be fair the entire point of a Lamborghini is to be obnoxious so the seats are perfectly fine.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Oh hey a 1953 Studebaker:

What's inside?

:barf: seats from a loving 2004 Sebring and dragon floormats!

Edit: oops, leeching!

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 27, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 27, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Please tell me that's a real IRL with enough work done to drop it into at least the 12s.

Otherwise, put it out of its misery.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

Please tell me that's a real IRL with enough work done to drop it into at least the 12s.

Otherwise, put it out of its misery.

Well, it's a real RL with enough work done to drop it off at a scrap yard, but I don't think they take tupperware cars :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

If he just stuck with KISS this would be awesome, but why Nickleback? Why not Motley Crue or AC/DC?