Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My copy of Broken Homes has shipped! And it will get here from Amazon.co.uk sometime next week =(

Mine should be here tomorrow :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Can I buy a Kindle version from amazon.uk and use it on my filthy American Kindle?

EDIT:
What point does this regional bullshit serve anyway?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Loving Life Partner posted:

Can I buy a Kindle version from amazon.uk and use it on my filthy American Kindle?

EDIT:

If I had to guess, I'd say different copyright laws in different countries have something to do with it, but IANAL.

Alternately different pricing in different countries - my "do not use outside of India" edition of my electrodynamics book in undergrad cost me five bucks used, the cheapest US edition was eighty. New they were like $20 and 160$, respectively

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
It's probably different distributors handling the physical versions in the different countries. From his blog it sounds like he missed the deadline for simultaneous UK/US release and there weren't any US slots left open.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

EDIT:

I think Aaronovitch mentioned on his site that the only reason for the delay was his US publisher not having any room in their slate due to him submitting the final edit earlier than expected. Beaten

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Is the Alex Verus series any good?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Thunderfinger posted:

Yes. It has some growing pains, but definitely worth the read.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

Thunderfinger posted:

Decent enough and a lot better than most of the urban fantasy dreck out there.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

SmokinDan posted:

Decent enough and a lot better than most of the urban fantasy dreck out there.

And it has brute forcing of conversation trees. No, really.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Fellwenner posted:

You should all read this, it's fantastic.

http://parahumans.wordpress.com/2011/06/11/1-1/

I am so glad I checked the end posts for this thread, since I hadn't in 2,000 or so, because holy crap is this amazing. I literally spent the whole time I was awake yesterday reading this, and I haven't even made a dent.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

The Alex Verus series is a fun read, and does a good job limiting the power level of a guy who can see the future. The only thing I always roll my eye at is the at he couldn't come up with a better name for his evil mage faction than dark mages.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

OneTwentySix posted:

I am so glad I checked the end posts for this thread, since I hadn't in 2,000 or so, because holy crap is this amazing. I literally spent the whole time I was awake yesterday reading this, and I haven't even made a dent.

I started reading it literally the day he posted that, and I just finally caught up yesterday. I was expecting a short story at first. Worth it though.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Fellwenner posted:

You should all read this, it's fantastic.

http://parahumans.wordpress.com/2011/06/11/1-1/

Thank you for linking me to this, I've been thoroughly enjoying it for the last week and it just seems to get better the farther I get into it. The fight scenes especially are really creative while also being easy to understand. I just wish I could convince my friends to read it too so I'd have someone to talk about it with.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

My copy of Broken Homes has shipped! And it will get here from Amazon.co.uk sometime next week =(

Mine shipped last week. I got it from Goldsboro Books, though.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Finished Broken Homes. Minor spoilers: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Felt the pacing wasn't quite up to the standard of the previous books, but I devoured it in six hours anyway.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

I added some fake UK address into Amazon/Kindle and used a UK proxy and it worked.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The problem with changing your kindle address like that is that it's a little risky:

quote:

Amazon Kindle user has had her account wiped and all her paid-for books deleted by Amazon without warning or explanation.

The Norwegian woman, identified only as Linn on media commentator Martin Bekkelund's blog, approached Amazon when she realised her Kindle had been wiped.

. . . . .

Technology writer Cory Doctorow suggested "the policy violation that Linn stands accused of is using a friend's UK address to buy Amazon UK English Kindle books from Norway". Under Amazon's rules, this type of action is barred, as the publisher seeks to control what content is read in which territory of the world.

. . . .

Update: Amazon contacted us on 23 October 2012 to say it has posted the following statement on its customer forum: "We would like to clarify our policy on this topic. Account status should not affect any customer's ability to access their library. If any customer has trouble accessing their content, he or she should contact customer service for help."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/oct/22/amazon-wipes-customers-kindle-deletes-account

So, probably not worth it just for a quicker release date. I don't think Amazon really polices this stuff heavily but it's a scary possibility.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

The problem with changing your kindle address like that is that it's a little risky:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/oct/22/amazon-wipes-customers-kindle-deletes-account

So, probably not worth it just for a quicker release date. I don't think Amazon really polices this stuff heavily but it's a scary possibility.

poo poo like this is why I like the Nook. Can't take my .epubs from me :smug:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VanSandman posted:

poo poo like this is why I like the Nook. Can't take my .epubs from me :smug:

Well, the kindle can still accept drm-free books, you just have to break the DRM or download them independently of Amazon; .azw and .mobi are the exact same format with a different file extension name. But still the draw of the kindle is the general convenience of the kindle store, and losing that would be a huge pain. It's only really annoying for stuff like this, but about once a year I run into a similar situation where some niche british fantasy author I love doesn't have a US publisher or something and it drives me up the wall. (The Shadows of the Apt series has this problem also).

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Well, the kindle can still accept drm-free books, you just have to break the DRM or download them independently of Amazon; .azw and .mobi are the exact same format with a different file extension name. But still the draw of the kindle is the general convenience of the kindle store, and losing that would be a huge pain. It's only really annoying for stuff like this, but about once a year I run into a similar situation where some niche british fantasy author I love doesn't have a US publisher or something and it drives me up the wall. (The Shadows of the Apt series has this problem also).

It's just so loving dated. Who needs a "US" publisher for an online distribution of a UK-written, English language novel? Sure, I can see a desire to remove "britishisms" that might be too obscure, but it seems to me a ridiculous reason to block publication of the British version. I can't wait for traditional publishers to either die or realize they need to adapt to the times.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Velius posted:

It's just so loving dated. Who needs a "US" publisher for an online distribution of a UK-written, English language novel? Sure, I can see a desire to remove "britishisms" that might be too obscure, but it seems to me a ridiculous reason to block publication of the British version. I can't wait for traditional publishers to either die or realize they need to adapt to the times.

Yeah. And lets' face it, if you're an American buying obscure British novelists you probably regard the britishism as a feature, not a bug. It's just an artifact of publishing empires, nothing more. Half the time the only reason for different release dates is that the UK and US bestseller lists run from different dates so the US release is on a Tuesday and the British is (some other day of the week?).

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

There's also the possibility that the publisher did not gain rights from the author or whatever to sell to the region in question, because those rights belong to another publisher for whatever reason.

Yeah makes no sense to me.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

coffeetable posted:

Finished Broken Homes. Minor spoilers: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Felt the pacing wasn't quite up to the standard of the previous books, but I devoured it in six hours anyway.
American, right? The book was even more London-y with less explanation of the geography for non-natives. Also I am honestly not surprised by Lesley defecting to the Faceless Man - and I'm pretty sure it was a defection, not her being a double agent. Still, Peter actually BEAT the Faceless Man on his own, which was a good sign, right?

Side-note but the Waterstones-exclusive short story was the slightest of all them so far, though I'm still hoping for some sort of short-story collection at some point because I don't have any of the rest, I've just read them in my local Waterstones. It was worth going to the signing at Covent Garden though as there really was free cake and booze!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Jesus Christ, we don't get the Kindle edition of Broken Homes in the US until 2014. :negative:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Wade Wilson posted:

Jesus Christ, we don't get the Kindle edition of Broken Homes in the US until 2014. :negative:

Flip your address to the UK, buy it, flip back.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ookiimarukochan posted:

Side-note but the Waterstones-exclusive short story was the slightest of all them so far, though I'm still hoping for some sort of short-story collection at some point because I don't have any of the rest, I've just read them in my local Waterstones. It was worth going to the signing at Covent Garden though as there really was free cake and booze!

Wait, there are Peter Grant short stories? And I can't get them in America? THANKS OBAMA

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Wait, there are Peter Grant short stories? And I can't get them in America? THANKS OBAMA
3 of them - 2 of them came out last year (in the "London edition" of Rivers of London - which I assume was never made available outside the M25, haha and in the Waterstones edition of Whispers Under Ground (which I didn't get because I went to the Forbidden Planet signing, where he gave a speech/presentation)

There are several different books out there with "Waterstones editions" with extra stuff that only that edition has - Dodger by Terry Pratchett for instance. That even had a limited slipcase edition. I suppose it's due to Waterstones being the only real game for publishers in the UK that's not Amazon. You see similar crazily how-is-this-not-illegal monopolistic stuff with videogames and Game.

Apparently there'll be a short story collection at some point, though (going by comments made last year on his blog - long enough ago he still though he was going to finish the new book on time!)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ookiimarukochan posted:

3 of them - 2 of them came out last year (in the "London edition" of Rivers of London - which I assume was never made available outside the M25, haha and in the Waterstones edition of Whispers Under Ground (which I didn't get because I went to the Forbidden Planet signing, where he gave a speech/presentation)

There are several different books out there with "Waterstones editions" with extra stuff that only that edition has - Dodger by Terry Pratchett for instance. That even had a limited slipcase edition. I suppose it's due to Waterstones being the only real game for publishers in the UK that's not Amazon. You see similar crazily how-is-this-not-illegal monopolistic stuff with videogames and Game.

Apparently there'll be a short story collection at some point, though (going by comments made last year on his blog - long enough ago he still though he was going to finish the new book on time!)

I am about to poo poo teeth and snort out kidney stones in frustration and anger >_<. What are the titles?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 25, 2013

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I keep getting Laundry Files and Rivers of London confused. God damnit you British people.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

If there's one thing I hate about the Jim butcher it's his insistence of describing Dresden's relationship with Molly in regards to her breast size. I swear to god if he doesn't knock that "training bra" poo poo off I am going to send him just the nastiest worded letter.

I'm sorry, just rereading some of these and goddamn does he use that one a whole loving lot.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

I am about to poo poo teeth and snort out kidney stones in frustration and anger >_<. What are the titles?

The Domestic, The Home Crowd Advantage, and The Cockpit - as far as I know none of them are available online in any way shape or form, you'll have to visit the UK!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Dammit people, making me give up my Prime shipping to get Broken Homes early from Book Depository :argh:

...and the book still won't show up for a goddamn month. What the hell?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Dammit people, making me give up my Prime shipping to get Broken Homes early from Book Depository :argh:

...and the book still won't show up for a goddamn month. What the hell?

Pro purchase.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Any idea A) how long this will be in stock & B) how long it takes to ship? Because I'm not sure if/how long it'll take to cancel my order with The Book Depository via Amazon :ohdear:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Any idea A) how long this will be in stock & B) how long it takes to ship? Because I'm not sure if/how long it'll take to cancel my order with The Book Depository via Amazon :ohdear:

It probably won't be in stock much longer - honestly I'm surprised it made it to the publication date without selling out. As far as shipping time, this is my first order with Goldsboro so I'm not sure, but I imagine it'll be similar to TBD's shipping times.

Two things to note:
1.) The price is in pounds, so that comes out to like $25 or something.
2.) Goldsboro doesn't do free shipping.

All told, my order was $33.03 when it was processed on the 21st, which is a lot more than most folks are used to paying for a book. I'm putting this out there because I don't want anyone screaming at me later when they see their credit card bill :).

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Ornamented Death posted:

It probably won't be in stock much longer - honestly I'm surprised it made it to the publication date without selling out. As far as shipping time, this is my first order with Goldsboro so I'm not sure, but I imagine it'll be similar to TBD's shipping times.

Two things to note:
1.) The price is in pounds, so that comes out to like $25 or something.
2.) Goldsboro doesn't do free shipping.

All told, my order was $33.03 when it was processed on the 21st, which is a lot more than most folks are used to paying for a book. I'm putting this out there because I don't want anyone screaming at me later when they see their credit card bill :).

I totally checked the exchange rates for this. There's an Irish reseller on Amazon selling for ~$16 + $4 shipping, but for $13 more I can have a signed copy. What to do?! :ohdear:

Edit: gently caress it, it's done.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tres Burritos posted:

If there's one thing I hate about the Jim butcher it's his insistence of describing Dresden's relationship with Molly in regards to her breast size. I swear to god if he doesn't knock that "training bra" poo poo off I am going to send him just the nastiest worded letter.

I'm sorry, just rereading some of these and goddamn does he use that one a whole loving lot.

Thats something that gets mildy annoying with every character. Butcher describes them in detail every single loving book and he uses the same descriptors pretty much every time. Molly specifically though, I think that has to do with Dresden's character more than anything else. He's a normal guy as far as his libido goes, but his lifestyle post-Susan is lacking in opportunities to use it. Its gotta be tough to constantly have a hot barely legal chick around that has a crush on you when youre a good guy like Dresden who isn't looking to take advantage. He is a good guy but still only human.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...
:siren:
New short story from Jim Butcher for Dangerous Women
Read the excerpt here

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
Wow. I shouldn't have read that. Now I have to wait for the rest.:( great to see a Molly story, and I really like her narration style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Zola posted:

New short story from Jim Butcher for Dangerous Women
Read the excerpt here

That's the GRRM one that also has a new Brandon Sanderson short, right?

• Locked thread