Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

TaurusOxford posted:

HELL AND HEAVEN!

GEMU GIRU GAN GO GUFO

This was a relaxing build after doing FA Unicorn Gundam. I'm happy with how it turned out considering it's a third-party kit.

WHOA, where did you get that thing? :stare:

Also, is gemu giru gan go gufo what he actually mutters during that part? I was always curious what Gai was saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dre2Dee2 posted:

WHOA, where did you get that thing? :stare:

Also, is gemu giru gan go gufo what he actually mutters during that part? I was always curious what Gai was saying

Got it off ebay. It's made by a group called RobotKid and this is their first model kit. Mine was a first edition version so my yellow parts came pre-painted in gold. Here's a link if you're interested

Also, that is what he says. ;)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Do most of you guys put those all on? I just don't have the patience for it, since it's kind of something I do when bored at work with downtime, so I kind of do a quick/sloppy job on a lot of them.
It's recommended that you don't, actually. Not only is it a pain in the rear end, when you finish your kit is going to look super tacky. Just put on the stuff you think adds to the model.

Monaghan posted:

I would do terrible, terrible things to get a non SD, genesic gaogair kit.
Does that include painting? Because there's a (rather pricey) resin kit floating around.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Aoshima did a 1/144 plamo GaoGaiGar (+ variants) a few years back, but it's currently OOP and $$$ when you can find one.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

This is going to be worth every loving penny. :swoon:

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I still just can't get over the fact that we're getting a Ver. Ka version of a mobile suit that's real claim to fame is that it's NOT the Hajime Katoki version of the design. It's weird.

Doesn't look bad, I'll admit. In fact, I sort of like it. This is coming from the guy who has an irrational hatred for Ver. Ka. Still want to see it in color, though.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I can't look at that kit without this song immediately popping into my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-7O9KvZrzk&list=FLPvBB8aYvYsPucEi5zbk8Rg&index=115

Say what you will about Wing; It had a loving great soundtrack.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Finally, a MG of a mobile suit that is a lot like the Wing Zero! Kinda weird that they're doing some lovely derivative design from a side story manga or something, but that's gotta mean we're actually getting a Wing Zero MG soon!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Finally, a MG of a mobile suit that is a lot like the Wing Zero! Kinda weird that they're doing some lovely derivative design from a side story manga or something, but that's gotta mean we're actually getting a Wing Zero MG soon!

Hey at least you can count on an hg wing zero coming out, thanks to gundam build fighters.

Also really liking that redesign, though I admit, I'm already a huge fan of katoki's stuff.

BlitzBlast posted:

Does that include painting? Because there's a (rather pricey) resin kit floating around.

I thought they were completely out of production. Anway, I can't afford them right now, have to finish my last year of school first.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 23, 2013

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I feel like the only one who hates the TV Wing Zero for what an ugly, bulky and angular design it is. Everything from the stupid beam sabers in the shoulders to the horrifically ugly boosters on its' back just makes it look awful, and all Katoki has done is give it his trademark stupid long legs and massive ankles.

The EW Wing Zero looks a million times better, and is also sufficiently silly enough that it fits in the Gundam Wing universe properly.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Popehoist posted:

I feel like the only one who hates the TV Wing Zero for what an ugly, bulky and angular design it is. Everything from the stupid beam sabers in the shoulders to the horrifically ugly boosters on its' back just makes it look awful, and all Katoki has done is give it his trademark stupid long legs and massive ankles.

The EW Wing Zero looks a million times better, and is also sufficiently silly enough that it fits in the Gundam Wing universe properly.

I used to have the same opinion, but looking back the TV Zero is sort of like the Turn A in that it looks a hell of a lot better in motion or an action pose than it does in the standard static line-art stance.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I've given up on Bandai ever releasing a MG Blast Impulse. So good thing there's an awesome conversion kit for it that doesn't cost an arm and a leg! :toot:

Other noteworthy 1:100 resin kits from this seller:

Kampfer (Base model: Zaku 2.0, custom frame available)
Knight Gundam (Wing vKa)
Zeta II (Zeta 2.0, custom frame available)
Zeta vEvolve (Zeta 2.0)
Gundam mkIII (no base frame, it's a no grade)
Gundam mkV (no grade)
Gundam mkVI (Impulse)
Blue Destiny BD 1 (custom frame included)
Blue Destiny BD 2 (")
Blue Destiny BD3 (")
Gundam Alex (Gundam OYW, custom frame available, only one left so get it now if you want it!)
GM Sniper (Gundam 2.0)
ZZ Gundam vKa (custom frame included)
Xi Gundam (no grade)
Sazabi (custom frame included)

If you're wondering, the point of the custom frames is so you don't actually have to buy the original MG.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 24, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2013/07/gundam-break-gunpla-competition-hosted.html

Oh Gundam Breaker, what horrors have you released on the world. :stare:

infornography
Jan 13, 2012

Weabooing since 1989
I'm trying to panel wash my MG unicorn and it keeps coming out like crap. I've been too into the resin kit community and have forgotten simple basics.
Just trying to confirm with everyone here, but to panel was you first just get lighter fluid and put just a drop on a panel line
and let gravity do it's thing, then use a drop of oil based paint like black enamel and do the same thing? Or am I missing something important?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

infornography posted:

I'm trying to panel wash my MG unicorn and it keeps coming out like crap. I've been too into the resin kit community and have forgotten simple basics.
Just trying to confirm with everyone here, but to panel was you first just get lighter fluid and put just a drop on a panel line
and let gravity do it's thing, then use a drop of oil based paint like black enamel and do the same thing? Or am I missing something important?

if the lighter fluid is acting as a thinner why dont you thin the enamel first?
I think the idea is to use capillary action not gravity.
Most of us use sakura pens or gundam markers to panel line

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Try thinning the enamel first. Get it REAL thin and let capillary action do the work. Have your thinning substance nearby to clean up runover.

edit: And I don't like lining with the sakura microns because I don't like black panel lines so there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The first and second ones are kinda decent, and then you get to number three. I didn't think it was possible to for a Gundam model to look like it prayed for an end to its suffering, but there you go :magical:. Also, what's the quality on the HG Buster Gundam? Saw one for cheap and was wondering if it's anywhere near as bad as the HG Freedom.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Basically all the Seed kits are mediocre, with only a few standouts (Stargazer, Astrays). 00 was where the HG line really started to get good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Basically all the Seed kits are mediocre, with only a few standouts (Stargazer, Astrays). 00 was where the HG line really started to get good.

I figured as much, just wanted to be sure. Thanks!

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Some of the 1/100 SEED kits are actually pretty decent.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Bimmi posted:

Some of the 1/100 SEED kits are actually pretty decent.

They're VERY hit and miss. Check out the 1/100 IJ next to its MG equivalent.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I guess we asked for this.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fauxtool posted:

Most of us use sakura pens or gundam markers to panel line

If you give few enough fucks, you can also sand a 5mm mechanical pencil lead to an evil little point and line with that. It looks weird and shiny in broader areas though.

e:

Ahahaha, poo poo, that Saz'gontank

Phy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 26, 2013

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phy posted:

If you give few enough fucks, you can also sand a 5mm mechanical pencil lead to an evil little point and line with that. It looks weird and shiny in broader areas though.

I stand by panel-lining with mechanical pencils. As long as you're lining white/very light plastic the pencil is a nice dark shade without going pure black which can look a bit odd in my opinion. I use my thin black pens on darker plastics, and pencil on white parts.

Pencil is nice if you're a beginner because mechanical pencils+lead+sandpaper is pretty cheap, and any mistakes can be rubbed away with your bare finger. Once you see how good models look when lined you may want to do what I did - just bite the bullet and pay for some Gundam Markers. The thick and thin dual tipped ones are worth it IMO, especially if you never plan on painting but still want a more professional finish.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I've just always used an ultra-thin sharpie, but I'm a pretty casual about it since it's more of something fun to put together when I'm bored than a really serious display piece. My MG RX-78-2 is about 5 years old and still looks pretty sharp. Probably could use a touch-up. Do these other methods people are talking about just make it look head and shoulders better than marker/sharpie?

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 27, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

As long as it's even and doesn't rub off easily, it doesn't really matter what you use. The color of the panel line is more important.

I hear one dude panel lined his MG Unicorn in blood just for the right shade of red.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

As long as it's even and doesn't rub off easily, it doesn't really matter what you use. The color of the panel line is more important.

I hear one dude panel lined his MG Unicorn in blood just for the right shade of red.

At least he didn't try that with a 90's HG kit. He'd probably bleed out halfway.

Edit: Just curious, but did anyone here bother to pre-order a RG GP01? I wouldn't mind snagging the code that comes with it to get GP01 in Gundam: Battle Operation if you're not gonna use it.

Edit 2: \/\/\/ - Thanks!

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 27, 2013

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

At least he didn't try that with a 90's HG kit. He'd probably bleed out halfway.

Edit: Just curious, but did anyone here bother to pre-order a RG GP01? I wouldn't mind snagging the code that comes with it to get GP01 in Gundam: Battle Operation if you're not gonna use it.

Remind me when it comes out and I'll hook you up.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2013/06/gundam-wing-endless-waltz-mg-wing.html

Screw the haters. This looks amazing.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The Rozen combo tickled me. Are those the colours of the Rozen Zulu kit though? I expected something much more violet, the torso looks like a stock Geara Zulu olive.

Could anyone help me identify the components of that one and the one with the AGE-FX funnels and Sinanju thrusters?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BizarroAzrael posted:

Could anyone help me identify the components of that one and the one with the AGE-FX funnels and Sinanju thrusters?

HG AGE-FX head
HG AGE-FX chest
HG AGE-2 DB shoulders
MG Sinanju Stein leg thrusters(Shoulder thrusters)
MG Sinanju Stein backpack
MG Jesta Arms
MG Jesta Legs
MG Jesta beam rifle

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

BlitzBlast posted:

This is right, generally on white you want a grey and and you go darker along with the base colour.

I did my RX-78 2.0 with black rather than light grey pencil because I wanted to recreate the lines of the original cartoon, especially the freezeframe shots like when Amuro kills the first Zaku and jacks up the Gouf and I think it looks cool so don't be afraid to just do whatever because it's easily fixable with an eraser.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EthanSteele posted:

killlll meeeeeeeee

Jesus christ it's like the Gundam equivalent of a Dolan and Gooby comic. Or MC Escher near the neckline.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's not even the worst still you could find, dude

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muike posted:

That's not even the worst still you could find, dude

Well you can't say something like that without sharing a better example :colbert:. Oh and I actually came across a surprising find in my local model store the other day - a Perfect Grade Wing Zero Custom with the Pearl Mirror finish. For $449AU :shepface:.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't have any saved but here's some tiny frames from Cucuruz Doan's Island.

I don't think it's as bad as Tomino says it is. :(

Anyone put a Geara Doga together yet? I was going back and forth between the Sinanju Stein and it today but grabbed the Stein because it'll probably go out of stock a lot faster.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Dalong posted his review of it pretty recently. Seems solid enough, especially with the LED monoeye.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah I saw that and Schizophonic's. I just wanted to hear some words I could read about it. Google translating Dalong's rating section is the only way I'm going to be able to vaguely understand any of his impressions about it.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I've got a geara doga waiting for me in the HLJ warehouse along with the gebera tetra that was realeased today (yesterday?). I was planning to have them shipped to me relatively soon. I've been really itching to build a MG recently so expect me to report on it in about a year...

No really I might just put it together before I decide what to paint it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Speaking of grunts, does anyone have a MG Jesta? I've been contemplating getting one for a while now since I want to make my own personal mobile suit, and I can't see MG Leo coming soon despite the Leo Frame already being made. Is it a good kit?

• Locked thread