Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I'm not sure I ever needed to see that in a comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
DC Comics Megathread: I'm not sure I ever needed to see that in a comic

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

redbackground posted:

All from What If? #34

John Byrne actually did this:

Alpha Flight #6

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Bought this when I was a kid and it is probably my favourite comic I own. Oh Alpha Flight...:allears:

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
From Brian K Vaughan's Mystique:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 26, 2013

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
A little late but a great :doom: page nonetheless.

Future Foundation #8

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Doom managed to throw the cup so hard that the guy flipped upside down. And made the table evaporate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mister Roboto posted:

Doom managed to throw the cup so hard that the guy flipped upside down. And made the table evaporate.

You will note that there is no visible table in any of those panels.

Doom does not break bread with those whom are inferior.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just realized that Doom is actually drinking through his mask. I would think that it would be easier to use a straw if there is a mask between the cup and your mouth, but then that is probably how Doom rolls.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Unlucky7 posted:

I just realized that Doom is actually drinking through his mask. I would think that it would be easier to use a straw if there is a mask between the cup and your mouth, but then that is probably how Doom rolls.

This is a man who doesn't use doors do you really think he's going to use something as pedestrian as a straw?

Okay maybe if it was powered by the cosmic cube he might, but only then.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Star Wars 1

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

How you going to drink that, Vader? It's a nice touch though, the original Star Wars adaptation has some fun stuff. Like Jabba the Hutt before he had an actual character design.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Unlucky7 posted:

If he did that I would immediately be reminded of Dark Helmet drinking coffee in Spaceballs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That isn't a cup Doom is using. That's a chalice, a gem encrusted chalice. Cups are for lesser beings.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Interesting you should say that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
More interesting than the cyber-straw is the "Robot Hillbilly Teeth" version of Doom's mask.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
He built the straw into the cup. That is all kinds of amazing.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
What's the current canon on the status of Doctor Doom's face, anyway? Is he Kirby style single, tiny, scar, or is he actually horribly scarred, or did his tiny scar get turned into horrible burns when he welded a mask to his face? I need to know.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I think it's the last one, according to a recent Fantastic Four.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Bandette #5

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

... That's pretty loving grim.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, it was just a panicked film star crashing her car into a tree before a dog comically plays dead.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I saw this ad in the issue of Superman's pal Jimmy Olsen 108, and it made me laugh because apparently comics in the 60's were getting kids ready for a full scale revolution.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
When I was a kid I had a bright orange Uzi water pistol that made those brap-brap-brap noises. Always wondered what the mechanism was, I never smashed it apart to find out.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

When I was a kid I had a bright orange Uzi water pistol that made those brap-brap-brap noises. Always wondered what the mechanism was, I never smashed it apart to find out.

I took one apart that had a spinning piece of metal that intermittently scraped against a rock of some kind.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Nah, it was just a panicked film star crashing her car into a tree before a dog comically plays dead.

I'm not actually joking when I say that is much better!

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

The_Rob posted:

I saw this ad in the issue of Superman's pal Jimmy Olsen 108, and it made me laugh because apparently comics in the 60's were getting kids ready for a full scale revolution.

I'd say it was more about getting them pumped about the war that was going on. :thejoke:?

(Lois Lane #44)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

The_Rob posted:

In the 80's I had the Rambo fully automatic M-16 squirt gun. You filled up the magazine with water, held in the tirgger and won every water fight!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

ImpAtom posted:

There's no way the great Matadori would be bested by a pair of common thugs armed with something as tacky as a revolver :colbert:

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!

Mimir posted:

What's the current canon on the status of Doctor Doom's face, anyway? Is he Kirby style single, tiny, scar, or is he actually horribly scarred, or did his tiny scar get turned into horrible burns when he welded a mask to his face? I need to know.

I've always loved that original, Kirby idea of him just having this really tiny, barely noticable scar. It fits the character so well. Never liked the semi-retcon of him burning his face when he first put on the mask.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Sentinel Red posted:

There's no way the great Matadori would be bested by a pair of common thugs armed with something as tacky as a revolver :colbert:

Agreed. She clearly wanged them over the head with a cake pan she brought along to bake her own cake (or something...)!

Either way, Bandette #5 was classy:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

The_Rob posted:

Judging by the badge on the stock an Obama themed revolution.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Reviewing old comics for my new blog: here's an off-model Wolverine's out of context thoughts in Fantastic Four 367, by DeFalco and Paul Ryan.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Did you guys know the Amazons have a space program?

Wonder Woman #210

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Wonder Woman #210

I'm not sure why they're saying "Hola!" but I hear it as "Holla!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LvK posted:

I'm not sure why they're saying "Hola!" but I hear it as "Holla!"

Classic Wonder Woman's catchphrase was "Hola." I'm more laughing at how their head scientist is just called Paula.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

muscles like this? posted:

Classic Wonder Woman's catchphrase was "Hola." I'm more laughing at how their head scientist is just called Paula.

I wish I could find a specific instance of it.. There's an early issue where Wonder Woman explains that it's the "traditional Amazon greeting".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Amazon River is in South America; makes perfect sense.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Wonder Woman #210

Come clean dude, this is really an episode of Wonderella, right? Hola?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Seems more like if Wonder Woman were written by the kid who writes Axe Cop.

• Locked thread