Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Is this the one in the North Bay? If so that place is pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Are there jars of Crisco on the bar top?

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Are any of you going to Tales? I'll be there Tuesday to Monday working.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

idiotsavant posted:

For the best bartending schadenfreude ever, I volunteer bartend at an outdoors club. We pay for the maintenace and upkeep of the property by selling beer to the public on certain weekends. Cash only, and goddamn if it doesn't feel good to tell people that the nearest ATM is a couple miles over the hill (and back up our brutally steep driveway).

I'm pretty sure I know too much about awesome places to drink if I knew exactly where this was as soon as you mentioned volunteer-run bar miles away from a ATM before reading near SF, and I've never been anywhere near California in my life. If I ever wind up in the area and the stars aligned on a guest weekend, it's one of my must-dos.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Sheep-Goats posted:

Are there jars of Crisco on the bar top?

No, but there is an enormous jar of cured meat sticks :q:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Choom Gangster posted:

Are any of you going to Tales? I'll be there Tuesday to Monday working.

I'm taking this one off to work my friends' shifts and gently caress their girlfriends. Have fun!

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!
May or may not be doing Tales, just started a new gig and have to get approval from the owner within the next day or two, but if I do, it's a straight shot down I-10 to New Orleans.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

idiotsavant posted:

it's a totally different mentality

Who'd have thought club members would value smugness over money?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

idiotsavant posted:

It's up on our website, so it usually only happens to clueless morons. We're pretty out of the way, so if you're dumb enough to show up without cash then whatever. We also do insane, insane volume for the small amount of time we're open, so we aren't really losing much money. And last but in no way least, it's all volunteer-run and all the money goes back to the club, and most of our members don't want to deal with ATM stuff, even with the potential revenue losses.

We have a few other basic rules, one of which is no dogs, and it's also pretty nice to kick out service dog fakers. There are a rare few that are valid, but it's amazing how stupid people are. Actually, I take that back. The vast majority of our guests on public weekends are under 30, and it's amazing how goddamn entitled all the fuckers are.

What state are you in that you can legally check the validity of service dogs? Because as far as I know, there is none, because that requires giving out medical information about yourself.

Not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, but we had to let a guy with two Dalmatians in tonight, and that is the worst breed for service.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I don't know if its legal in NY but if someone wants to convince me their pup is therapudic, I'm going to ask them to show me what they would show a health inspector were we to get lit up while fido cold kicks it in the garden.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Thank god I found this thread. I've had a job serving wine and beer at a small theatre in Chicago since about February, which I parlayed into a job at a Landmark movie theatre that just got renovated; the renovations included a bar. The original plan was for me to train with the two more experienced bartenders while I did typical movie theatre poo poo/barbacking, but last night I got bumped up to full on bartender because one of the two decided to just not show up at all. This means that tonight, without any pouring experience, I'll be serving for an opening day crowd. I'll only be on my own for the final hour or two of the night, but I've managed to fall backwards into this, and right now I'm scared shitless.

I'm gonna plow through this thread tonight after I get home, because I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
You'll be fine, keep calm, keep a smile on, and just burn through tickets.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

Thank god I found this thread. I've had a job serving wine and beer at a small theatre in Chicago since about February, which I parlayed into a job at a Landmark movie theatre that just got renovated; the renovations included a bar. The original plan was for me to train with the two more experienced bartenders while I did typical movie theatre poo poo/barbacking, but last night I got bumped up to full on bartender because one of the two decided to just not show up at all. This means that tonight, without any pouring experience, I'll be serving for an opening day crowd. I'll only be on my own for the final hour or two of the night, but I've managed to fall backwards into this, and right now I'm scared shitless.

I'm gonna plow through this thread tonight after I get home, because I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing.

Nobody has ever died from not getting a drink fast enough, so even the worst catastrophe won't be so bad. Come back and tell us how it went!

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Kaizoku posted:

What state are you in that you can legally check the validity of service dogs? Because as far as I know, there is none, because that requires giving out medical information about yourself.

Not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, but we had to let a guy with two Dalmatians in tonight, and that is the worst breed for service.

There are two questions you can legally ask per ADA:

1) Is your dog a service animal?
2) What task does it perform?

It seems like it'd be easy enough to scam, but people are loving dumb. It's generally obvious when someone has a genuine service dog. Also, you can still kick people out if their service dog is a nuisance - barking, begging, etc. I think local laws can come into play as well (I think SF in general has some pretty liberal service animal laws), but those two questions are the main ones.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

navyjack posted:

Nobody has ever died from not getting a drink fast enough, so even the worst catastrophe won't be so bad. Come back and tell us how it went!

I'm back. It was pretty much dead most of the time, which was good for my stress level, but really disappointing for the managers of the theater. I have been taught how to pour (I did a little bit of research beforehand, so I knew what everything was and the basics), and I should hopefully be getting faster and better as time goes on. I'm pretty pumped about this, even if it is just a movie theater bar (but not an AMC, thank god. Landmark 4 lyfe)

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Yoshifan823 posted:

Did you start out at Logan? Glad that first shift went okay! You're in. Keep doing the good work and don't ever get lazy, on your service or on making sure that people (including your managers) notice your good service.

Ouija
Nov 28, 2004

dont try

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'm back. It was pretty much dead most of the time, which was good for my stress level, but really disappointing for the managers of the theater. I have been taught how to pour (I did a little bit of research beforehand, so I knew what everything was and the basics), and I should hopefully be getting faster and better as time goes on. I'm pretty pumped about this, even if it is just a movie theater bar (but not an AMC, thank god. Landmark 4 lyfe)

Always put twists in your Perfect Manhattans

If someone asks for their drink 'down' it means sans ice in a stemless glass

Don't ever shake anything with bitters in it

Keep your Gimlets 3:1 (don't use Rose's [yuck])

I'll post more advice as it come if you need it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FaceEater posted:

Did you start out at Logan? Glad that first shift went okay! You're in. Keep doing the good work and don't ever get lazy, on your service or on making sure that people (including your managers) notice your good service.

Nah, Strawdog (play theatre, not movie theatre). I'll still be picking up shifts there on occasion, they have enough people that they don't make everyone work weekends.

Thanks for all the advice/support, guys! Hopefully I'll have all this stuff down pat soon.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So how many of you work in a place that had a Trayvon Martini requested this weekend?

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Sheep-Goats posted:

So how many of you work in a place that had a Trayvon Martini requested this weekend?

:ughh: Is it garnished with skittles?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine it's bartenders choice but I think customer expectations would probably include Arizona Iced Tea and Skittles. Hennessy? Ciroq?

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Ouija posted:

Don't ever shake anything with bitters in it

This is the worst advice.

Tastic
Jun 3, 2005

The best place to go in Portland is Hair of the Dog. Great beer and cheap good eats.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I fancy a few beer in Portland, Maine tomorrow night, maybe a cocktail if I'm feeling dangerous. Where are some good places to go?

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

Gambrinus posted:

I fancy a few beer in Portland, Maine tomorrow night, maybe a cocktail if I'm feeling dangerous. Where are some good places to go?

Novare Res is an excellent beer bar that specializes in Belgian beers; the same owners also have a brewpub called Infiniti that also offers the best cocktails in the city, IMHO. Gingko Blue is Portland's go-to cocktail lounge, but I think Infiniti has better drinks. Still worth a visit. Other options are Sangillo's if you want a small blue collar dive bar with really stiff pours, and Brian Boru Public House and Ri Ra if you want a straightforward Irish Pub setting.

All those places are in the Old Port. Local 188 is another good spot (mostly hipster/industry crowd, decent enough cocktails), but they're further up on Congress and keep restaurant hours.

Hope that helps; Portland is a fun little city.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
I currently have a day job in an office and I've been thinking that getting a job somewhere as a porter (barback, if you will) would be a good way to earn some extra money in an industry that I'm really interested in, but I don't know if I could handle two jobs. The most worrying thing is having almost no time for myself, but I guess working in a bar just on its own kind of sucks away your social life. How do people balance that? It seems crazy to me.

Bartending jobs just aren't as important here in the UK. They're generally unskilled, which is a shame. I love going into a bar and being served by a bartender who clearly knows what they're talking about and what they're doing, but it's a rare occurrence. It bothers me.

(I liked seeing new posts in this thread, it has been kind of slow lately :()

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If you work in a bar your social life turns into a post closing time affair with other bartenders and wait staff plus a few druggies and professional partygoers. On your days off you go drink nearly for free at bars your friends work at, often going to similar after hours things one they close it down. You are unavailable on weekend evenings and nights and become detached from the non-industry night life. This sucks but is off set slightly by industry people being quality drinkers and industry ladies being easy on the eyes.

Personally I'd rather have what everyone else has and it's pretty much either/or.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Sheep-Goats posted:

If you work in a bar your social life turns into a post closing time affair with other bartenders and wait staff plus a few druggies and professional partygoers. On your days off you go drink nearly for free at bars your friends work at, often going to similar after hours things one they close it down. You are unavailable on weekend evenings and nights and become detached from the non-industry night life. This sucks but is off set slightly by industry people being quality drinkers and industry ladies being easy on the eyes.

Personally I'd rather have what everyone else has and it's pretty much either/or.

Pretty well said. I attempted to maintain some semblance of normal social life (i.e. hanging out with 9-5'ers and the like) for a while, then after one relationship completely fell apart clearly based upon my schedule, I said gently caress it to the whole thing and just didn't go out much at all, before or after work, nor on my off days.

Lame-rear end.

Also, I did exactly what you're talking about Tychtrip. I worked 5 AM - 3 PM Monday through Friday in an office setting, and then worked in a bar Friday and Saturday nights as a barback and eventually bartender. I was making crazy money, perpetually tired, and refused to take drugs to fix the constant tiredness. I loved both jobs, but eventually I was asked to resign from the office gig for telling them their outsourcing policy sucked cock, and ended up a full-time bartender at the place for 2 years.

I dunno what that tells you, but I think the lesson is that trying to live life doing both things at the same time will make you hard and impatient with a LOT of poo poo, especially poo poo that fucks with your ability to get your hard-earned sleep time, including friendships and romantic relationships.

I say go for it. It'll change your perspective on what it means to "never have any free time."

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

I keep a lot of civilian friends and at least one lover, but it takes a lot of effort. Being a consultant right now helps, too. And mind you, I think closing bars and drinking for free and banging waitresses is awesome and I know you do, too.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Vegetable Melange posted:

I keep a lot of civilian friends and at least one lover, but it takes a lot of effort. Being a consultant right now helps, too. And mind you, I think closing bars and drinking for free and banging waitresses is awesome and I know you do, too.

:q:

Also we live in NYC. Keeping a pod of non industry friends elsewhere is a lot harder because other places generally don't have the density of non-9-5ers that we have here. The town I'm from in Montana (which was also where I first worked behind the bar) had one designated industry bar and if it wasn't the weekend the people you saw in there were the same fifteen bartenders or waitresses, one or two of the town drunks, and there was nothing else going on to go to.

DonnieBravo
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'll just leave this here....
http://vimeo.com/71348592

doginapot
Nov 11, 2004
a dog in a pot
Oh my, crowd sourced bartending. What a terrible idea.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.
Well, that's about the slowest, least efficient way to do automated mixing and dispensing of liquids. Pretty robots, though.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
It just reenforces the idea that robots instead of barmen are great as a gimmick but terrible as an actual business plan. If you opened a robot bar everyone in town would come once, for a drink. Then they'd go somewhere with cool, efficient, knowledgeable staff and shoot poo poo with them about that cool new robot place down the road while getting properly smashed.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Masonity posted:

It just reenforces the idea that robots instead of barmen are great as a gimmick but terrible as an actual business plan. If you opened a robot bar everyone in town would come once, for a drink. Then they'd go somewhere with cool, efficient, knowledgeable staff and shoot poo poo with them about that cool new robot place down the road while getting properly smashed.
I agree, it could only ever work if it was in Times Square or the Vegas strip, somewhere super touristy where people will take their chance to visit the bar where the robots make your drinks for you.

Honestly though I don't think stuff like that is designed to be a credible business idea, it's just an attention-grabber for the MIT robotics department. It's more about the robot gimmick than it is the bar gimmick.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Vegetable Melange posted:

All true.

I spent some time at my local favorite establishment recently, and the evening was replete with handshakes, headnods, and the like, all being noted as a fellow bartender (despite the fact that I'm not anymore) and had at least a few drinks completely for free.

I mean, they know I'm not working in a bar anymore, and they just treated me as though I had just got off another split double and wanted to further numb the pain. It's an incredible perk to be looked at like that, one that I think only cops and celebrities enjoy in this particular city.

I don't know when I'll be back, but I will be. American bartending is a goddamn privileged lifestyle, no doubt.

rorty
Oct 13, 2010
Feeling industry social life set on is bleak. What's worse is when you start taking blue roll home and your housemates find it and convert to the blue roll.

Any for or againsts on premixing/batching?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

What is blue roll?

As for premixing, it works great for more casual/social drinks like punches and tiki drinks, especially if you can include something seasonal/local and change it up frequently. Even better is (and I realize this is unlikely for most folks) if you have room on your backbar for a small punch bowl or fountain, if your bar does enough volume of these to justify it - which should be a given if you're considering premixing in the first place.

One word of caution: if you're going to be premixing, don't ice it down, find another way to keep it chilled. Dilution over time will lead to some very weak drinks near the end, and potentially some very unhappy customers. Put it in a chiller of some sort, use store and pours if you must, but be sure to keep your drinks consistent. If you're at a high end cocktail place, this probably isn't something you're going to want to do on a regular basis unless you're having a theme night.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Premixing is technically illegal up here in BC I believe. Hasn't stopped almost every bar I've worked in from doing it from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Shooting Blanks posted:

What is blue roll?

In the UK at least, it's the standard "wiping up spills" paper. It's far better than kitchen roll.

• Locked thread