Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I also think the art style they have popularized (see their Drive reissue) is absolutely disgusting and anti-creativity. It's essentially easily produced, uninspired, boring art with an air of faux-rarity surrounding it that makes a bunch of dumb people hopping from one cult interest to another salivate and support Mondo's bullshit by throwing their money at literally everything they put out.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Ah, gotcha. I thought it was just because of their packaging quality or something (My Oblivion OST had ringwear, all seams looked like they were about to burst, and the innner sleeves were ripped up).

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.
I was so confused when I saw Mondo. All I could think about was Happy Tree Friends.

In other news, I finally got a copy of Dopesmoker. Sounds great, and it's even purple.

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
Pre-order for the new Sebadoh record is up...

https://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/sebadoh-defend-yourself-pre-order.html

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Does JNR actually have that many VIP members?

I grabbed the tri-color version yesterday but find it hard to believe that overnight they should every single copy.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Things I'm sure not to be able to snatch before they sell out:

Mondo's releases of the Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away soundtracks.

It's actually just a 2xLP release with "selections" from 5 different Studio Ghibli movies. There are just 3 different covers with Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away being 2 of them.

And gently caress Mondo forever and all of that.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Kevar posted:

It's actually just a 2xLP release with "selections" from 5 different Studio Ghibli movies. There are just 3 different covers with Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away being 2 of them.

That's dumb.

Mondo is dumb.

Why not have a cover that, you know, has imagery of all five movies?

Oh yeah, then they wouldn't be able to sell three copies to collectors.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 24, 2013

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Kevar posted:

I really don't understand why some of you are so big on these releases. Most movie soundtracks are terrible anyhow, it's an obvious cash grab and you're not supporting independent labels or artists, which is one my favourite things about buying vinyl.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bliggers- posted:

I really don't understand why some of you are so big on these releases. Most movie soundtracks are terrible anyhow, it's an obvious cash grab and you're not supporting independent labels or artists, which is one my favourite things about buying vinyl.

Yeah but anime-

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah but anime-

This'd be funny if we weren't talking about the music to literally Oscar winning cinema.

Bliggers- posted:

I don't really buy vinyl for the sole purpose of supporting small labels and artists.

Most of the time I buy something because it is a thing that I want to have.

And there are a poo poo ton of great movie soundtracks, dude.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 24, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Not even just movie soundtracks, the Red Dead Redemption OST is one of my favourite records :colbert:

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This'd be funny if we weren't talking about the music to literally Oscar winning cinema.

I don't really buy vinyl for the sole purpose of supporting small labels and artists.

Most of the time I buy something because it is a thing that I want to have.

And there are a poo poo ton of great movie soundtracks, dude.

Yeah I know, different strokes and all that. Where my money goes influences my purchase decisions very heavily. I also agree there are plenty of great soundtracks, I just find they are always dropping to the bottom of my priority list.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Bliggers- posted:

Movie soundtracks own. I just hate everything about the way Mondo operates. I missed out on the Maniac soundtrack and then couldn't even order it from Deathwaltz (who pressed enough goddamn copies) because of the way licensing works or whatever. Mondo had the exclusive rights for North America.

Hell on earth would be The Fountain finally getting pressed...by Mondo.

Collecting old movie soundtracks on vinyl is fun because you can find a lot of poo poo at thrift shops without much of a problem. I got The Godfather, The Shinning, The Muppet Movie, Easy Rider, Midnight Cowboy, Apocalypse Now, and Raiders of the Lost Ark for about a total of $5 over the last couple months.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

More indie labels should release soundtracks. But actually release them, unlike I Am Shark.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I know, I was being facetious. I loving love Studio Ghibli and I'd be on this like david puddy on a digeridoo (:australia: I don't loving know) if it weren't Mondo.

Hell, even the "anime" dig was a joke. If Mondo ever pressed a vinyl cut of the Ghost in the Shell OST, I think I would literally weep blood like one of those statues of the Virgin Mary.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Kevar posted:

Movie soundtracks own. I just hate everything about the way Mondo operates. I missed out on the Maniac soundtrack and then couldn't even order it from Deathwaltz (who pressed enough goddamn copies) because of the way licensing works or whatever. Mondo had the exclusive rights for North America.

Hell on earth would be The Fountain finally getting pressed...by Mondo.

Collecting old movie soundtracks on vinyl is fun because you can find a lot of poo poo at thrift shops without much of a problem. I got The Godfather, The Shinning, The Muppet Movie, Easy Rider, Midnight Cowboy, Apocalypse Now, and Raiders of the Lost Ark for about a total of $5 over the last couple months.

I felt the same way. Then I found out that the Maniac soundtrack Death Waltz put out was for the remake and not the original (which I've not seen). The music was the only thing I liked about that pile of poo poo.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Kevar posted:

You could always buy Maniac somewhere else if you missed out on getting it from Mondo's site. That's what I did. I didn't think I wanted it when it went on sale, but then I saw the movie and the score is amazing, so I picked it up. Mondo's LPs have distribution as of earlier this year. They are not hard to find.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

chime_on posted:

You could always buy Maniac somewhere else if you missed out on getting it from Mondo's site. That's what I did. I didn't think I wanted it when it went on sale, but then I saw the movie and the score is amazing, so I picked it up. Mondo's LPs have distribution as of earlier this year. They are not hard to find.

People are selling the black version on discogs for not an unreasonable amount too. I somehow ended up with 6 copies of the new The World is a Beautiful Place and I am No Longer Afraid to Die LP so I'm in "no buying vinyl" jail until I'm less broke.

alg posted:

More indie labels should release soundtracks. But actually release them, unlike I Am Shark.

I think it's the "in" thing right now because of Deathwaltz and Mondo. I wouldn't be surprised if a few labels pop up in the near future. It is a niche market within a niche market though. Then again, World War Z of all movies has it's soundtrack on vinyl so the studios are getting into the game as well.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Kevar posted:

World War Z of all movies has it's soundtrack on vinyl so the studios are getting into the game as well.

That's it, I'm out. I'm dumping all my records in an alley dumpster so noone else gets them though.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'd be on this like david puddy on a digeridoo (:australia: I don't loving know)

:crossarms:

Also, WWZ had a score? All I can remember from it was Muse and This Will Destroy You

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

That's it, I'm out. I'm dumping all my records in an alley dumpster so noone else gets them though.

Jokes on you, I once spent 3 hours going through a stack of records I saw in a dumpster. Got some really excellent jazz out of there too.

True story

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010
Does anyone in Australia have advice on where to buy vinyl at better prices either online or in Perth?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Yes.

Dada Records on Pier Street between Hay and Murray near Miss Maud's. GREAT new selection, the best in Perth but with good second hand stuff too.

Noise Pollution Records on William St Northbridge, just before Aberdeen. Local record legend Maurice has some really outstanding stuff from a trip to the US I believe. Also currently disposing of the collection of a former record exec from South Australia. Prices are reasonable based on the quality.

Fat Shan Records Formerly Beat Route records, across from town hall on Barrack street. This was Maurice's old store and most of what is here was left when he sold up. There are thousands of unsorted records, most $2-5. You never know what you will find. Has a pretty generic new section.

Safari's Record Shack New player on the scene at Arcade 189 William street. I haven't been here yet but from their Facebook presence they look small but with high quality strong genres (Funk/Soul/Reggae). Expect to pay probably. Will need to check this place out soon.

Unknown Treasures Coventry Square Markets Morley. Small shop, OK new section EXPENSIVE used records. Nice people that run the place though. They have record fairs there occasionally.

Biggest record fair is the R&R collectors fair. Usually held at the Victoria Park Community Center.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
For anyone who's interested, Between the Buried and Me's Colors album is getting a repress and it's up for presale right now. I assume the band itself hasn't really mentioned it because it seems like Victory went around them and repressed it, which from what i've heard isn't anything out of the ordinary for them. I hate supporting Victory but i hate paying $80 for an original pressing even more.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

loving FINALLY (Trouble Will Find Me deluxe edition- preordered in April for a supposed "mid-June" delivery and subsequently pushed back two or three times). Can't really complain, as they've been forthcoming enough and really apologetic about the manufacturing difficulties. Here's hoping it lives up to them :toot: .

Given that NY-Boston's a relatively quick jaunt, here's also hoping it arrives Monday.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 25, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So I guess the United States finally has an answer to Death Waltz.

http://waxworkrecords.com/

So far they only have two planned releases, but if they're actually any good they might take off like Death Waltz did. At any rate, someone needs the release a loving soundtrack album for Beyond the Black Rainbow. At this point I'd settle for a goddamn CD.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

CPL593H posted:

So I guess the United States finally has an answer to Death Waltz.

http://waxworkrecords.com/

So far they only have two planned releases, but if they're actually any good they might take off like Death Waltz did. At any rate, someone needs the release a loving soundtrack album for Beyond the Black Rainbow. At this point I'd settle for a goddamn CD.

I always wondered why that movie didn't have an available soundtrack.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
So I've got my setup on a 2X4 Ikea Expedit turned on its side like a "credenza/console" with the cubes full of vinyl and the receiver and turntable on top of it side by side. It's been quite sturdy and I haven't felt like I've needed to worry about it collapsing or catastrophically failing at any point (knock on particleboard). The thing is- I'm planning to move my current Nakamichi receiver (weight ~19 lbs) to the bedroom and replace it with a monster 1970's Yamaha that's about twice its size (and more than double the weight at 45-50 lbs). I'm pretty scared about overloading the Expedit (particularly since it's sideways so the it's arguably not in ideal weight-bearing orientation). I understand that it's "only" an addition of 25 lbs but it'd be concentrated in one area.

Does anyone have any experience putting *particularly* heavy equipment or concentrating weight on top of a horizontal Expedit in that way? How grounded are my fears? I've got the receiver all set to go and I must put it in its rightful place- the Expedit is literally the only thing holding me back right now.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Oh baby. Something tells me this is going to sounds just as amazing as it looks.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
The only Expedit Horror pictures I've seen are ones where the person didn't put it together properly (the long slats go horizontal). They are solid rear end shelves.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I Might Be Adam posted:

I always wondered why that movie didn't have an available soundtrack.

Because the world is cruel and unforgiving.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

whereismyshoe posted:

For anyone who's interested, Between the Buried and Me's Colors album is getting a repress and it's up for presale right now.

Thanks for this heads up, I was just listening to it today, definitely one of my favourites.

I'm with you on the whole not being too stoked on giving Victory money but alas 20 bucks vs ~80 bucks.. Cheap shipping to Canada too! ( 7 bucks.. usually stuck paying at least 13 for most albums from American record labels booo)

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Does anyone have any experience putting *particularly* heavy equipment or concentrating weight on top of a horizontal Expedit in that way? How grounded are my fears? I've got the receiver all set to go and I must put it in its rightful place- the Expedit is literally the only thing holding me back right now.

Amp is a 1977 Pioneer SA9500, right around 50lbs, turntable is Pioneer PL-550, 27lbs or so, tape deck might be 10lbs. I've had it setup this way for a couple of years, moved it from one apt to another, it's been great so far.

I gotta say, I think keeping my speakers as close as they are (not touching, but about 1/4" away from each end of the Expedit) does probably help. If it gets bumped and starts to go one way, the speakers are 50+ lbs each and stop any motion quickly. That's your biggest problem when these are on the wrong side, movement from side to side will break them apart, not the weight pressing down really.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Electric Bugaloo posted:

loving FINALLY (Trouble Will Find Me deluxe edition- preordered in April for a supposed "mid-June" delivery and subsequently pushed back two or three times). Can't really complain, as they've been forthcoming enough and really apologetic about the manufacturing difficulties. Here's hoping it lives up to them :toot: .

Given that NY-Boston's a relatively quick jaunt, here's also hoping it arrives Monday.

Aww man, my shipping notice hasn't arrived yet.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Owsla posted:

....advice....

What speakers are those? Replacing what I've got is next on my list. As is getting a Debut Carbon (Lamborghini lime green) and moving my dad's old Vector Research to the bedroom with the Nakamichi.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 26, 2013

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Looks like HPM 100s. A really gorgeous-sounding speaker I think designed by soem JBL dudes.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
They're the later model of the Pioneer HPM-60. I wanted the HPM-100s but finding a super nice pair proved to be too expensive for my budget. The 60s are very similar, with the main differences being the 10" woofer instead of the 12" on the 100s, and fake veneer instead of walnut.

While they have adjustable crossovers (mid and high freq knob on the back of the speaker cabs) they do tend to be bright sounding, with a pretty healthy bump in the mid-range. I like the sound quite a bit and was actually looking for something bright so they suit me nicely. It doesn't hurt that they match the rest of the late '70s era Pioneer gear perfectly (admittedly, this played a big role in my choice as well).

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
What's that?

You want to pay over $300 to get fancy coloured editions of the next 6 Death Waltz Records releases?

You also want to buy it before they officially put it up on the site?

Be my guest!

http://deathwaltzrecordingcompany.com/shop/death-waltz-subscription-service-vol-3/

Goddamn, that's a lot of money for 6 records.

e: One of the records is highly likely to be Beyond The Black Rainbow, btw.

Just get the regular version.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So I've got my setup on a 2X4 Ikea Expedit turned on its side like a "credenza/console" with the cubes full of vinyl and the receiver and turntable on top of it side by side. It's been quite sturdy and I haven't felt like I've needed to worry about it collapsing or catastrophically failing at any point (knock on particleboard). The thing is- I'm planning to move my current Nakamichi receiver (weight ~19 lbs) to the bedroom and replace it with a monster 1970's Yamaha that's about twice its size (and more than double the weight at 45-50 lbs). I'm pretty scared about overloading the Expedit (particularly since it's sideways so the it's arguably not in ideal weight-bearing orientation). I understand that it's "only" an addition of 25 lbs but it'd be concentrated in one area.

It's solid. I have all of my game consoles, cable box, 3 cubes of records, etc and a 55" Plasma on top. It's not going anywhere. You'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Dissapointed Owl posted:

What's that?

You want to pay over $300 to get fancy coloured editions of the next 6 Death Waltz Records releases?

You also want to buy it before they officially put it up on the site?

Be my guest!

http://deathwaltzrecordingcompany.com/shop/death-waltz-subscription-service-vol-3/

Goddamn, that's a lot of money for 6 records.

e: One of the records is highly likely to be Beyond The Black Rainbow, btw.

Just get the regular version.

Pretty sure they will cancel any order from that link that doesn't come from a current subscriber. I've been wondering if I was going to re-up this year, but it's just too drat expensive now. $50 more for the same amount of LPs is hard to swallow, especially after he changed his mind about giving a t-shirt to the last subscription even though the site had a graphic that clearly showed you would get one. Plus, he's releasing things outside of the subscription anyway (like The Fog), which I just find irritating.