Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I'm Doc, Doc, Doctor Dick and when you're feeling sick, babe, I know a trick.

:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ganDMy4kT7E:nws:

Why does a song that you can't really play around other people have to be so catchy? At least the band name lets you know what you're gonna get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

It's probably more of an early 2000's memory than a 90's one for some people, but this sound seriously brings me back; I don't know why I actually find pleasure in hearing it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kheldragar posted:

It's probably more of an early 2000's memory than a 90's one for some people, but this sound seriously brings me back; I don't know why I actually find pleasure in hearing it now.

It was mid-90s for me and it was awesome every time I got online and could play Quakeworld or whatever dumb FPS I was into at the time.

For content, here is a dial-up stretched out to the point it sounds like whale music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF2v32xCD0Y

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Kheldragar posted:

He's technically an 80's robot but I swear I was the only person in the cinema laughing when they did this in the Muppets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utVuLqyuxX4

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Kheldragar posted:

How about a mid-never?

We never had dial-up. We lived in a small, rural town. Up until the end of high school (late 90's,) there wasn't any local dial-up number, So you could get AOL, or...AOL...but it was a long-distance call, so in addition to the $50 a month or whatever they charged, you had to pay long distance phone rates, so my parents never got it. All my "internetting" was done in the school computer lab. Couldn't get myself any badly compressed JPEG boobies, but I did print off a LOT of bad, fan-made D&D supplements. :rolldice:

When I went away to college in 2000, DSL lines were finally installed in my town, so that's when my dad finally got internet service. Of course, by the time I came home for winter break, I was spoiled with the fast university connection, so DSL was a downgrade, as far as I was concerned.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Jokers Gamble posted:

Any Midwestern US Goons remember going to the Children's Museum in Indianapolis or COSI in Toledo, OH? My brother and I were home schooled till I was in 1st grade and we would go on trips there all the time. I remember the Children's Museum having a section were you could excavate a dinosaur skeleton. I wonder if those places are still running?

My girlfriend will not shut up about the Indianapolis Childrens Museum being awesome. She grew up in a absolute shithole wasteland called Jamaica Township in Illinois so It was the only fun thing she ever got to visit as a child.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

My girlfriend will not shut up about the Indianapolis Childrens Museum being awesome. She grew up in a absolute shithole wasteland called Jamaica Township in Illinois so It was the only fun thing she ever got to visit as a child.

I can't speak to recently, but it at least used to be pretty goddamned awesome. They had a huge room full of physics demonstrations including spots on either side where you could talk to the person standing in the other spot.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

You got Indycar, and this awesome museum. That is about it for Indianapolis.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Celery Face posted:

I'm Doc, Doc, Doctor Dick and when you're feeling sick, babe, I know a trick.

:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ganDMy4kT7E:nws:

Why does a song that you can't really play around other people have to be so catchy? At least the band name lets you know what you're gonna get.

Man, that is like a concept band of what it would be like if 8 year olds wrote a bunch of raps about nothing but sex. They deserve some kind of award for using the most, most juvenile euphemisms for penis.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
Here's one for the Portland goons: OMSI moving to the old Portland General Electric plant where it currently resides. I dunno why, but OMSI and the mid-90's are permanently intertwined in my mind. It is the quintessential 90's building to me, and has barely changed since it was built. I hope it never does.

Radio Help has a new favorite as of 08:01 on Jul 24, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Radio Help posted:

Here's one for the Portland goons: OMSI moving to the old Portland General Electric plant where it currently resides. I dunno why, but OMSI and the mid-90's are permanently intertwined in my mind. It is the quintessential 90's building to me, and has barely changed since it was built. I hope it never does.

My first (and only) planetarium experience was 1999 at OMSI in Eugene. It was laser Floyd and yes, yes we did. :weed:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Speaking of really cool things for kids, did anyone else get a chance to visit Fort Discovery in August on the river before it was shut down?

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
As someone who grew up in the 90s and kept seeing commercials referencing it, what exactly was space camp? Did it actually exist?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

karl fungus posted:

As someone who grew up in the 90s and kept seeing commercials referencing it, what exactly was space camp? Did it actually exist?

It was as close as a nerd could get to Heaven in Northern Alabama. I went the summer before fourth grade and had a blast. We experimented with 1/6g using a special counterbalanced chair, learned how to calculate density, and other cool stuff. They also let us run around the museum after hours which was awesome, since I loved the Space and Rocket Center.

My biggest bummer was that I was the Mission Scientist and therefore part of the ground crew during the simulated shuttle mission. I don't think I even went into the mocked up shuttle because I was a goddamned idiot.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

karl fungus posted:

I grew up literally next to Cape Canaveral and the Kennedy Space Center and my dad worked there so I went to space camp every summer, the good one :smug: (closest to the actual rockets dammit!)

Back then it was built into the Astronaut Hall of Fame in Titusville, FL. There were space bunks in a dormitory made of space tubes and you got to go on space simulators that demonstrated various aspects of space, and everyone in your group got to do a mock shuttle mission in their really advanced (for the 90's) shuttle flight simulator. In fact we got to do TWO mock shuttle missions so everyone got a turn at the fake shuttle and the fake mission control. While my classmates were off at boring stupid boyscout camp or whatever I was spinning around in the multi-axis trainer :c00lbert:

Then the company that owned the Hall of Fame went bankrupt (see below), and it was bought out by a company that manages baseball fields or something (Delaware North). The old-style space camp was gutted and replaced with a lame day camp and merged with the "Astronaut Training Experience" to be more marketable or something, and is now called "Camp Kennedy Space Center". It was never the same after that.

EDIT: looked it up and apparently the Florida Space Camp was an offshoot of the Alabama one, operated by the same people until 2002 when they closed it because it wasn't making enough money (though the parent company didn't in fact go bankrupt).

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Jul 25, 2013

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

syscall girl posted:

My first (and only) planetarium experience was 1999 at OMSI in Eugene. It was laser Floyd and yes, yes we did. :weed:

That wasn't OMSI, that's Wiztech (now The Science Factory). They still do the Pink Floyd show every once and a while.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Yesssss:

http://www.the90sbutton.com/

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

El Estrago Bonito posted:

That wasn't OMSI, that's Wiztech (now The Science Factory). They still do the Pink Floyd show every once and a while.

:doh:

Yeah I guess I conflated it with Portland trips to OMSI when I was a kid.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I unironically love the gently caress out of any early to mid 90s hip hop and dance music. The cheesier the better. La Bouche, 2 Unlimited, C&C Music Factory, miami bass, the Quad City DJs, etc. Hell, I was listening to Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch at the gym yesterday :v:

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Yeah, as I've stated somewhere earlier in this thread, I also unironically love the music of the 90s. Especially eurodance and 90s hiphop, with probably Scooter and Vengaboys on the top. Because, gently caress yeah, that's why.

As a child of the 80s, that's the music I grew up with, before I got into old school hiphop, punk rock and classic rock. Oh, and of course ska. Best thing about the 2000s, was learning about all the great rock bands of the 60s and the 70s.

Oh, and speaking of the 90s ... It seems as if the fashion of the 90s is on its way back. I never noticed it before this week, when my sisters and their friends all went out clubbing dressed in clothes like Spice Girls used to wear and stuff like that.

It's horrible and great at the same time.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Speaking of really cool things for kids, did anyone else get a chance to visit Fort Discovery in August on the river before it was shut down?

Augusta goon ?

We had a place here in Augusta,GA called Fort Discovery. Best loving field trip for school ever. Those chairs that were far apart yet you could whisper and hear each other blew my mind.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Hey, remember Noodle Kidoodle? Remember seeing Miyazaki films for the first time ever in its built-in theaters? Remember the awesome carpets and neat standing rotating displays of little figures they had, the massive Playmobil sections, and the general niceness of it?

And remember how it went bankrupt and got turned into Zany Brainy, which then went bankrupt too? Then they were gone, just like KB Toys, FAO Schwarz, the Discovery Store, and so many other parts of your childhood?

Yeah. :smith:

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

karl fungus has a new favorite as of 06:02 on Apr 24, 2015

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

karl fungus posted:

I kind of miss the KB Toys at Queens Center Mall, but FAO Schwarz is gone? No way. I thought I still saw it in Manhattan.

My first job was KB toys, I was 16. I remember this fondly due to it being the first Christmas Pokemon hit BIG and the Dreamcast had just launched.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

karl fungus posted:

I kind of miss the KB Toys at Queens Center Mall, but FAO Schwarz is gone? No way. I thought I still saw it in Manhattan.

FAO is a brand now operated by Toys R Us.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Datasmurf posted:

Yeah, as I've stated somewhere earlier in this thread, I also unironically love the music of the 90s. Especially eurodance and 90s hiphop, with probably Scooter and Vengaboys on the top. Because, gently caress yeah, that's why.

As a child of the 80s, that's the music I grew up with, before I got into old school hiphop, punk rock and classic rock. Oh, and of course ska. Best thing about the 2000s, was learning about all the great rock bands of the 60s and the 70s.

Oh, and speaking of the 90s ... It seems as if the fashion of the 90s is on its way back. I never noticed it before this week, when my sisters and their friends all went out clubbing dressed in clothes like Spice Girls used to wear and stuff like that.

It's horrible and great at the same time.

I bought (and got complimented on) a loving denim shirt the other day. The 90s are back and I love it.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

Augusta goon ?

We had a place here in Augusta,GA called Fort Discovery. Best loving field trip for school ever. Those chairs that were far apart yet you could whisper and hear each other blew my mind.

South Carolina goon, but for several years when I was young we'd make a day of a field trip to Augusta to Fort Discovery.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

Grrl Anachronism posted:

South Carolina goon, but for several years when I was young we'd make a day of a field trip to Augusta to Fort Discovery.

Not to derail too much, but you cant even go downtown anymore. People are getting beat up and robbed at Riverwalk.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I watched this video quite a bit: http://archive.org/details/RoadConstructionAhead
It's full of 90's stock music. And a couple mullets for good measure.

I remember some sort of drawing tablet that hooked up to your TV, heavily advertised during kids shows. Any idea what it was called?

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Looking through an old photo album today roused up some memories:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33QpqR-fN0c

Ball pits? Pizza? Arcades? Heaven on earth when we were four.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo I asked my dad if DZ is still around a few days ago.

I miss that awesome place. 90's was a great time being a kid. :smith:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I remember when every mall seemed to have a KB toys. They were always slightly dingy, but drooling over the NES games and the TMNT figures was good times.

Then apparently Bain Capital bought it and ran it into bankruptcy. Thanks, Mitt!

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

karl fungus posted:

My childhood friend's sister worked at that KB's in Queens Center Mall for a time, and my mom used to get discounts on all the Barbies and X-Men trading cards she bought me. Good times.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
When I was little, KB Toys and the toy department in Hills were literally the only reasons why I wanted to go to the mall. Now it's practically gutted of everything that made it worth going to over the years. :(

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Thank you for this! It is glorious!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
How long is it until there's another swing revival? Or, dare I say, a swing revival revival.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IqH3uliwJY

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Pope Guilty posted:

I remember when every mall seemed to have a KB toys. They were always slightly dingy, but drooling over the NES games and the TMNT figures was good times.

Then apparently Bain Capital bought it and ran it into bankruptcy. Thanks, Mitt!

Slightly dingy, but stuffed with toys that were legitimately fun to browse through. And sometimes if you were lucky they'd still have backstock from the late 80s and early 90s in-between fresher brands. If you wanted huge boxed, top-tier branded things like Megazords, that was more Toys R Us' domain, but if you wanted, say, motherfuckin' ExoSquad? KB had you covered. :whatup: Anything by Playmates is automatically associated with KB Toys in my mind.

Then they got a facelift, cut stock/shelf space by a third, and had one of those awful open floor areas with two discount bins and an ever-present plastic pool with some wind-up toys. It was always a treat to hit up the KB outlet though.

Similar to gawking and squinting at video games over the counter at KB Toys, there was also Sears' posh video game boutique. The heartbreak when it was reduced to a single locked cabinet, half-hidden in the main electronics section, and filled with ancient but worthless Gameboy games. :smith:

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

John Murdoch posted:

Similar to gawking and squinting at video games over the counter at KB Toys, there was also Sears' posh video game boutique. The heartbreak when it was reduced to a single locked cabinet, half-hidden in the main electronics section, and filled with ancient but worthless Gameboy games. :smith:

I remember that! Suddenly, I didn't mind so much that it took my mother seven times longer than a human child can deal with to shop for clothings or whatever the hell else I didn't care about at the time.

Didn't they briefly have a system or two set up to mess with, or am I making that up? It is not impossible that I'm thinking of another place. Definitely the same era though.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I vaguely recall that KB Toys had a "rival" chain of toy stores (not Toys R Us) but for the life of me I can't remember what it is. All I remember is that KB Toys at the local mall had worse toys, but better NES games than the other store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
All this KB toys talk reminded me of something very 90's. I remember my best friend and I being obsessed with Spawn action figures. It was always a treat to get a ride to the mall so we could see if there were any of the more sought after figures left for us to buy. Thinking back McFarlane everything was awesome in the 90's.

• Locked thread