Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I also use HOD in EFs on cheap paper since that's my preferred nib width.

Speaking of good quality cheap notebooks, I actually really like composition notebooks that are like $2 from Office Max. There is some show-through but no feathering.

How is X-Feather? I have a few B nibs I'd love to use more often but on cheap copy paper my inks feather like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
HoD is my daily ink at work. My office is stocked with whatever the cheapest paper is at the time, so quality is all over the place. Feathering and drying time are not problems at all unless you need to write suuuuper tiny, in which case you could use an F or EF nib. I've used a Pilot Metro medium, Lamy Vista fine, and Platinum Preppy fine with great results, especially the preppy. Definitely the ink to use if you want a super-dark indelible black.

Not an Anthem posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/730727524/visionnaire-fine-writing-instruments-0?ref=home_popular

Not sure where its manufactured, but 37$ refillable fountain pens. Anyone hear about this yet?

Unremarkable pen with an up-its-own-rear end design philosophy. If it were $20 cheaper I'd consider getting one but there's no way it could outclass the Metropolitan.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

jomiel posted:

I also use HOD in EFs on cheap paper since that's my preferred nib width.

Speaking of good quality cheap notebooks, I actually really like composition notebooks that are like $2 from Office Max. There is some show-through but no feathering.

How is X-Feather? I have a few B nibs I'd love to use more often but on cheap copy paper my inks feather like crazy.

I haven't used it a whole lot, as I have been on a blue ink kick lately. Also, I'm a Fine nib guy, if that matters. I have used it in my Lamy Vista (Fine) and my TWSBI 580 (Fine) both on Rhodia paper and on cheap notebook or legal pad paper. I have not had any problems with feathering or bleeding. My personal experience was that it seemed a bit "wetter" and slightly longer drying time compared to some of the other Noodler's. I don't know that I particularly liked the color compared to the Noodler's Black, but again, that is just personal opinion.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

cobalt impurity posted:

Unremarkable pen with an up-its-own-rear end design philosophy. If it were $20 cheaper I'd consider getting one but there's no way it could outclass the Metropolitan.

Guy doesn't seem to have done much research outside of "this fountain pen. you buy.":
- He says you can use most inks, and says to go to an art supply store. Inks I've seen at art supply stores are shellac based inks, not water based.
- Says it won't feather because of the nib. That depends on the ink. And the paper.
- He compares it to $200 fountain pens. He needs to compare it to $40 pens, because it's way over priced. My Lamy Safari is a lot nicer than this pen.
- Says it won't leak. Neither will my Noodler's Creaper and it's sub $20.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 18, 2013

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Verdugo posted:

Guy doesn't seem to have done much research outside of "this fountain pen. you buy.":
- He says you can use most inks, and says to go to an art supply store. Inks I've seen at art supply stores are shellac based inks, not water based.
- Says it won't feather because of the nib. That depends on the ink. And the paper.
- He compares it to $200 fountain pens. He needs to compare it to $40 pens, because it's way over priced. My Lamy Safari is a lot nicer than this pen.
- Says it won't leak. Neither will my Noodler's Creaper and it's sub $20.

In addition, "It comes in any nib size you want - as long as that nib size is M" is a bit disappointing.

e: Just looked at the kickstarter again.
1) $220000 :aaa:
2) At over 5500 pens already ordered, he definitely could add at least F and B nibs (or F and EF :v:). I recall TWSBI saying the minimum order for their nibs was 1000 or 2000-ish per size.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 19, 2013

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

That Kickstarter is aimed at people who don't know the least bit about fountain pens. It aims to try and appeal to their sense of a "lost age of writing."

Except given the wonders of modern technology, you can get a very good fountain pen for under 20 dollars or less and don't have to wait till December for someone up his own rear end in marketing to deliver it to you.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

blowfish posted:

In addition, "It comes in any nib size you want - as long as that nib size is M" is a bit disappointing.

e: Just looked at the kickstarter again.
1) $220000 :aaa:
2) At over 5500 pens already ordered, he definitely could add at least F and B nibs (or F and EF :v:). I recall TWSBI saying the minimum order for their nibs was 1000 or 2000-ish per size.

I sure hope he's able to actually manage that sort of production in a reasonable amount of time, otherwise he's going to piss off a whole bunch of people new to the hobby.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Solkanar512 posted:

I sure hope he's able to actually manage that sort of production in a reasonable amount of time, otherwise he's going to piss off a whole bunch of people new to the hobby.

I wouldn't be surprised if these pens were already made out of China / Hong Kong.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
To me the funniest part is that it's just a piston converter pen. And it's not even a screw-on cap!

edit: seriously get a Metropolitan instead of wasting money on this, anyone who might be considering it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Kessel posted:

That Kickstarter is aimed at people who don't know the least bit about fountain pens. It aims to try and appeal to their sense of a "lost age of writing."

Except given the wonders of modern technology, you can get a very good fountain pen for under 20 dollars or less and don't have to wait till December for someone up his own rear end in marketing to deliver it to you.

And the "lost age of writing" isn't something that his pen will be able to emulate. As you said, a fountain pen with a stiff, round M nib is cheap and readily available (5 minutes of googling :v:) and it's a foregone conclusion that his nib isn't going to be anything like a like a 1960s nib or a modern not-completely-nail-like nib (let alone a proper flex nib or stub nib).

e: on the other hand, it is kind of nice to know there's still some enthusiasm for fountain pens (even if it's for overpriced designer fountain pens).

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 19, 2013

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Ah hahaha god. I browsed through some of the comments on the Kickstarter page.

Someone emailed Bock and asked if they were doing the nibs. Bock said no, and that it wasn't Jowo either. So if you buy this pen you're getting a nib straight out of the Hero factory, probably, or failing that Nanchang - with all the quality control issues that entails.

I can pretty much now safely say that if you back this effort looking for an affordable high-quality pen you're an idiot.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Kessel posted:

Someone emailed Bock and asked if they were doing the nibs. Bock said no, and that it wasn't Jowo either. So if you buy this pen you're getting a nib straight out of the Hero factory, probably, or failing that Nanchang - with all the quality control issues that entails.

I can pretty much now safely say that if you back this effort looking for an affordable high-quality pen you're an idiot.

So ... probably a lovely Iridium Point Germany nib instead of a decent one :eng99:. Seriously, that pen costs as much as a TWSBI Diamond, how hard can it be to squeeze a Bock nib into the budget?

On the other hand, some Hero pens do have a decent nib :shrug:.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kessel posted:

God drat it, that poo poo just pisses me off.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I honestly wonder if the overpriced kickstarter FP is the new cupcake shop/frozen yogurt shop/antiques picker store/nanobrewery.

People just riding the wave with massive bowls of poo poo as though everyone wants to visit them by default. This guy's just the latest, selling the most boring-rear end bland pen with a lovely nib as though nobody who ever got burned by getting a perma-dry Hero would notice that they're just getting the same dodgy quality for 3x the price plus you deal with some rear end in a top hat who thinks he can be the Steve Jobs of pens.

I guess props to him for having sufficient bluster to bilk almost a quarter mil out of hipsters who'd probably drop the drat thing out of their pocket protector during their bike ride.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The Entire Universe posted:

I honestly wonder if the overpriced kickstarter FP is the new cupcake shop/frozen yogurt shop/antiques picker store/nanobrewery.

People just riding the wave with massive bowls of poo poo as though everyone wants to visit them by default. This guy's just the latest, selling the most boring-rear end bland pen with a lovely nib as though nobody who ever got burned by getting a perma-dry Hero would notice that they're just getting the same dodgy quality for 3x the price plus you deal with some rear end in a top hat who thinks he can be the Steve Jobs of pens.

I guess props to him for having sufficient bluster to bilk almost a quarter mil out of hipsters who'd probably drop the drat thing out of their pocket protector during their bike ride.

Man, I just need to come up with my combination brewed frozen yogurt antique cupcake moustache iPhone hand turned pen accessory and I'll have it made. The iBrewYoPenStache Retro.

One good thing about this kickstarter, it made me buy a pen. Not his of course, but a cheap Hero from eBay.

According to Kickstarter's TOS, there's no obligation for him to provide any kind of real service after the product sells, or even refunds for unhappy people. I bet he's using a facility like one of these http://www.mfg.com/seo/en/profiles/Index-Fabricator-Shandong-China_en.html and taking advantage of people who "yearn for the olde dayse of writing." Probably why you can get any nib you like with the kickstarter as long as it's a medium.

Customer service is throw out the pen that's returned, and pick out another one from the box and mail it to the customer and hope it works. Or blame the customer for nib problems.

Meanwhile awesome people like the Goulets [who provide amazing customer service] are getting screwed by companies like Sailor.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 19, 2013

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It's 100% sub-contracted manufacturing. The guy has already said that, and I guarantee you since he's a one-man show he's never seen the factory in question and has been communicating with them basically through email, sending them the 3D renders so they can manufacture prototypes.

There isn't anything inherently wrong with this, because modern technology is wonderful and makes it possible to make things quickly and cheaply. What's dumb about this is the jazzed-up marketing that first off, puts down plenty of affordable pens from good stores and good makers that will offer a higher level of quality at less price, and second, positioning himself as the saviour of design in the pen world.

This makes me angry because it's exactly the kind of poo poo that is plaguing a conceptually great idea like Kickstarter right now.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Verdugo posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if these pens were already made out of China / Hong Kong.

I emailed him and they are being made in China and it's just one guy, so yes this will be horrible

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If anyone is interested in a mostly full bottle of J Herbin Rouge Hematite please send me a PM or reply here, we can work out something. While it's a great color, it doesn't play nice with my Ahab.

http://www.gouletpens.com/J_Herbin_1670_Anniversary_Ink_p/h150-26.htm

I have used about 10ml of it.

Already gone. Sorry folks.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 22, 2013

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Hurf durf http://inkofmefondly.blogspot.jp/2013/07/new-release-hero-summer-safari-fountain.html

Note: it's called the Hero Summer Safari because what is copyright infringement????

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kessel posted:

Hurf durf http://inkofmefondly.blogspot.jp/2013/07/new-release-hero-summer-safari-fountain.html

Note: it's called the Hero Summer Safari because what is copyright infringement????

I'd love to get my hands on one to see how it writes. What a blatant copy, down to the italicized "HERO" on the barrel instead of Lamy.

vvv Agreed. If HERO was smart, they'd make their own kickstarter and pocket hipster millions.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 24, 2013

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Verdugo posted:

I'd love to get my hands on one to see how it writes. What a blatant copy, down to the italicized "HERO" on the barrel instead of Lamy.

It's a better effort than what I see on Kickstarter...

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Kessel posted:

I would like to buy one and try it out. If nothing else they claim to have copied the converter which might mean a flood of cheap ones are coming instead of paying 6 bucks or whatever for one for a 20 dollar pen.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

cobalt impurity posted:

HoD is my daily ink at work. My office is stocked with whatever the cheapest paper is at the time, so quality is all over the place. Feathering and drying time are not problems at all unless you need to write suuuuper tiny, in which case you could use an F or EF nib. I've used a Pilot Metro medium, Lamy Vista fine, and Platinum Preppy fine with great results, especially the preppy. Definitely the ink to use if you want a super-dark indelible black.

My Noodler's Heart of Darkness came in this week. Thanks for all the excellent reviews and insights on it. I currently have it in a Pilot Metro (Medium) and a Platinum Preppy and so far no problems with feathering, bleeding, etc. even on cheap paper. It also seems like it writes fairly wet, but drying time has not been an issue. I definitely like the color better than Noodler's Black and X-feather (not knocking on them, both are great inks that I will continue to use). The black seems more...black, without the gray untertones.

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded
Got a Lamy Al-Star as a gift from the wife. I wanted somethign like my plumix but just better, and I got that. Except it's a 1.5mm broad nib. It writes much easier, but its too wide of line. Going to order the smaller italic nib for nit next I guess. Really happy with it so far, and I don't mind the ink in the Lamy cartidge it came with.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Rodney Chops posted:

Got a Lamy Al-Star as a gift from the wife. I wanted somethign like my plumix but just better, and I got that. Except it's a 1.5mm broad nib. It writes much easier, but its too wide of line. Going to order the smaller italic nib for nit next I guess. Really happy with it so far, and I don't mind the ink in the Lamy cartidge it came with.

I did the same thing with my TWSBI 540, I had no idea how crazy fat 1.5 mm was in practice. I think you'll enjoy the 1.1a lot, it's still a little bigger than the one on the Plumix.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

SnakesRevenge posted:

I did the same thing with my TWSBI 540, I had no idea how crazy fat 1.5 mm was in practice. I think you'll enjoy the 1.1a lot, it's still a little bigger than the one on the Plumix.

Is a stub or italic nib going to work if you are a lefty?

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded
Perfect, good to know I was not the first that fell into that one. I find the nib guide on goulet pens helpful, but the scale is hard to determine. Maybe I should suggest he put a pen beside it on the page to show actually how thick the line really is. 1.1 mm nib on order!

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Prathm posted:

Is a stub or italic nib going to work if you are a lefty?

As a lefty, I used the stub nib on my Plumix with no issues, but I tend to write with the nib parallel to the page instead of at an angle.

Also scale on Goulet is definitely weird. I sent back my broad nib, the line was super thick and wet.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 24, 2013

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Verdugo posted:

As a lefty, I used the stub nib on my Plumix with no issues, but I tend to write with the nib parallel to the page instead of at an angle.

I'm not sure I understand. How is the nib parallel to the page?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Prathm posted:

I'm not sure I understand. How is the nib parallel to the page?

I worded that wrong, I think. Instead of holding the nib at an angle, so you get the classic calligraphy italic style writing, I hold the nib so the angle is parallel to the top of the paper, straight left and right so it has wide upstrokes and downstrokes and thin side to side lines.

Being a weird lefty I usually have my paper tilted at a crazy angle to achieve this. I write like that normally too, with the pad at an "extreme" angle (45 degrees off of center). This eliminates the lefty hook. I have a lot of lefties in my family and we all write that way.

I find it hard to mantain the "tilted" angle to have nice italic handwriting being a lefty. The nib that comes with the Plumix pushes and pulls nicely, I think because it's more a music style nib (it's marked "M") instead of a true italic or stub nib.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 24, 2013

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Verdugo posted:

I worded that wrong, I think. Instead of holding the nib at an angle, so you get the classic calligraphy italic style writing, I hold the nib so the angle is parallel to the top of the paper, straight left and right so it has wide upstrokes and downstrokes and thin side to side lines.

Being a weird lefty I usually have my paper tilted at a crazy angle to achieve this. I write like that normally too, with the pad at an "extreme" angle (45 degrees off of center). This eliminates the lefty hook. I have a lot of lefties in my family and we all write that way.

I find it hard to mantain the "tilted" angle to have nice italic handwriting being a lefty. The nib that comes with the Plumix pushes and pulls nicely, I think because it's more a music style nib (it's marked "M") instead of a true italic or stub nib.

I see. I guess I'm what's called an overwriter. I write from above the line at an angle (40-50 degrees).

From googling it, it looks like there's no problem using a stub as a lefty.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Just a reminder for those of you comparing nibs and pens that Mottishaw has a huge, huge table up on his site that keeps a comprehensive track of the specs of all the pens that pass through his workshop:

Tip size comparison between pens, useful for working out how an EF from one brand compares to an EF from another:
http://www.nibs.com/TippingSizespage.htm

Fountain pen measurements - everything from length to actual ink capacity:
http://www.nibs.com/pen_measures/

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

I recently got a Pilot Metropolitan when I ordered that last batch of Noodler's Heart of Darkness. They were on sale, and I wanted to see how they stacked up against Lamy Safari/Vista as a "starter pen". My Lamy Vistas will always have a special place in my heart as my first FP, but in retrospect, I would have definitely gone with the Metropolitan. Being a lefty, that Lamy triangular grip kills me. For a $15-20 pen, that Metropolitan is just a pleasure with which to write.

All the place that I checked only had it in a medium nib. Do they only come in medium? If so, can you change the nibs on a Metropolitan (and what brand/model nib can you use in them)? I normally write with a fine nib, and was wondering it is feasible on the Metropolitan, or if I am just going to have to suck it up and get used to the Medium.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Per Pilot's own page, the Metro (which is called the Cocoon in Japan, and seems to have been specifically designed to be an introduction to fountain pens) comes in both F and M nibs. http://www.pilot.co.jp/products/pen/fountain/fountain/cocoon/

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Kessel posted:

Per Pilot's own page, the Metro (which is called the Cocoon in Japan, and seems to have been specifically designed to be an introduction to fountain pens) comes in both F and M nibs. http://www.pilot.co.jp/products/pen/fountain/fountain/cocoon/

I did not know they even made it in a Fine! I think I have only seen it offered in the Medium, so that is what I ended up with. Much thanks for the link. At first I was thinking, "How does Kessel know I speak Japanese?"

I very much enjoyed the little bit in the ad where it talks about "when you spread your wings and fly into an unknown world, when you take your first step into society as an adult, when you decide to be true to yourself , the Cocoon will give you the power to draw your future."

I supposed they are gearing it towards the "young go getters" in Japan.

xilixliadon
Jul 2, 2013
Are there any pens that should not have Quink put in them? I just got a bottle as an impulse buy at staples, since it's under ten bucks, and I'm wondering if it was worth it. In other news, I got a metropolitan, very smooth! I filled it with a green-black ink mix, and it is beautiful!

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

laertes22 posted:

I did not know they even made it in a Fine! I think I have only seen it offered in the Medium, so that is what I ended up with. Much thanks for the link. At first I was thinking, "How does Kessel know I speak Japanese?"

I very much enjoyed the little bit in the ad where it talks about "when you spread your wings and fly into an unknown world, when you take your first step into society as an adult, when you decide to be true to yourself , the Cocoon will give you the power to draw your future."

I supposed they are gearing it towards the "young go getters" in Japan.

It's quite interesting, because fountain pens are still considered a reasonably good gift for someone here on the occasion of their graduation, for instance, or getting a new job or being promoted to the executive level.

As for the Fine nib, I wouldn't be surprised if Pilot wasn't bringing that many to the Western market. I had a very pleasant conversation with someone here who sells Japanese FPs on eBay to mainly Western buyers, and he told me that Japanese mediums move faster than fines, possibly because the Japanese fine and extra-fine may be too fine for the average buyer.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

laertes22 posted:

I recently got a Pilot Metropolitan when I ordered that last batch of Noodler's Heart of Darkness. They were on sale, and I wanted to see how they stacked up against Lamy Safari/Vista as a "starter pen". My Lamy Vistas will always have a special place in my heart as my first FP, but in retrospect, I would have definitely gone with the Metropolitan. Being a lefty, that Lamy triangular grip kills me. For a $15-20 pen, that Metropolitan is just a pleasure with which to write.

All the place that I checked only had it in a medium nib. Do they only come in medium? If so, can you change the nibs on a Metropolitan (and what brand/model nib can you use in them)? I normally write with a fine nib, and was wondering it is feasible on the Metropolitan, or if I am just going to have to suck it up and get used to the Medium.

It'll swap with a Plumix or Prera nib, though I don't know where you could get one by itself. The nib kind of slots into the feed, so I imagine it would be more trouble than its worth to try a non-pilot nib.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
A Plumix is like $8 though, so even if you're just buying it for the nib it isn't that bad. I'm using the nib from one in my Metro and it was definitely worth swapping them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

xilixliadon posted:

Are there any pens that should not have Quink put in them? I just got a bottle as an impulse buy at staples, since it's under ten bucks, and I'm wondering if it was worth it. In other news, I got a metropolitan, very smooth! I filled it with a green-black ink mix, and it is beautiful!

I haven't heard anything about Quink doing damage, also it's not a bad ink by any means, just really basic: black, quick drying. Hell one of my better behaved inks was like 8 bucks I think. Sometimes I get nib creep with it, but it hasn't stained anything at all and it's a pretty vibrant blue-green.