Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'd wait too. My Nexus 7 TYOL 2012 is a 16gig and after dealing with that stupid TRIM bug 16 gigs just isn't enough for a tablet.

So, looking at getting this new Nexus 7, and I'm hearing about this TRIM bug from the last generation - is there any reason to suspect it would be present in these new models? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Sweet. Just ordered mine for in store pickup, gonna get it when they open in an hour or so. Thanks for the tip.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Alehkhs posted:

So, looking at getting this new Nexus 7, and I'm hearing about this TRIM bug from the last generation - is there any reason to suspect it would be present in these new models? :ohdear:

Slowness from flash based memory being full is a thing that happens to every device I've ever owned from iPods to Android tablets. It's just way more pronounced on the OG N7 for some reason. I wouldn't worry about it too much going forward.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone have a link for the 32 gig version on Amazon? I feel dumb.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

kri kri posted:

Hrm...I can't find it anymore. Looks like they yanked it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Alehkhs posted:

As I understand, the bug was fixed in 4.1.2, but anything that hadn't been TRIMmed before that was still filled with garbage so the controller had to run an erase command before it could do any writing. This shouldn't be a problem in the new one unless it also has hosed up flash controller firmware.

My Nexus 7 had 2GB free when I checked yesterday and it still runs like the day I got it, so I must not have had too much cruft on there.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

8GB Nexus 7 unloaded for $100, just as Best Buy emails me to say I can pick up the new one. Today is a good day.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

kitten smoothie posted:

8GB Nexus 7 unloaded for $100, just as Best Buy emails me to say I can pick up the new one. Today is a good day.

It's been an hour since I ordered and I haven't gotten a pick-up confirmation email yet :ohdear:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

kitten smoothie posted:

Nice, I was thinking about unloading my 16gig for a bill just to get rid of it but I might try a bit more.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If your local Best Buy does not have it check the Best Buy Mobile in your mall. Mine has 16 gig units even though it says not available.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

This thing beats the N10 in Geekbench :stare:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

kri kri posted:

Here.

Order in the next few hours for saturday delivery
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Nexus-Tablet-7-Inch-Black/dp/B00DVFLJKQ

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The Nexus 7 page on Google Play no longer says July 30, so perhaps they will start selling them earlier now since Amazon and Best Buy have already started. It still says "Coming soon," though.

e: Of course this could also mean that it could be longer or maybe not mean anything at all.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 26, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The Nexus 7 page on Google Play no longer says July 30, so perhaps they will start selling them earlier now since Amazon and Best Buy have already started. It still says "Coming soon," though.

Staples is also selling them as soon as they get them.

edit: The wireless charging coil appears to be smack dab in the middle. Just laid it on my LG qi charger and works fine.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 26, 2013

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Don Lapre posted:

Here.

Order in the next few hours for saturday delivery
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Nexus-Tablet-7-Inch-Black/dp/B00DVFLJKQ

Done and done... I could only get Monday delivery, but oh well.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Just picked up mine from Best Buy. Doesn't look like there was indication they made an oops. Hell, there was even a line.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Looks like none of the stores around me have it yet :(.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I ordered one off Best Buy for in-store pickup, says its there. I hope they have screen protectors, the amazon link isnt working on their N7 2013 page.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I haven't received my confirmation for my N7 yet from Best Buy. I called them to see if they had them in stock for general sale and they said yes, so I don't understand why my in store pickup is taking so long to process.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Just picked up mine from Best Buy. Doesn't look like there was indication they made an oops. Hell, there was even a line.

They didn't. The bestbuy mobile girl told me they got a memo to sell them early.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Has anyone tried magnetic closure? I dont have any magnets handy but rare earth magnets out of hard drives.

edit: It does still have magnetic on and off.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.
Just cancelled amazon order, best buy just updated with 32gb in stock at a nearby store!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Holy poo poo this screen is fantastic considering the cost. :stare:

Forced out of the box OTA for 4.3.

Charger output is way lower than the last one; 1.3A instead of the 2.1.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/07/26/new-nexus-7-case/

Looks like the new Nexus 7 will have actual accessories this time around.

quote:

Travel Case
Made from light yet durable polymer
Provides improved damage resistance everywhere you go
Special inserts for connectors allows you to charge without removing the cover, keeping your Nexus 7 FHD protected at all times.
Available in 5 vibrant colors: Orange, Blue, Pink, Green, and Dark Grey

Premium Case
Soft microfiber and durable polyurethane construction.
Features a folding-cover that can prop up the tablet like a stand.
Two positions – One to watch movies, one to type on the tablet.
Cut-outs and inserts tailored for all of Nexus 7 FHD’s camera, ports, and buttons.
Slim and sturdy design fully protects the Nexus 7 FHD front and back from everyday bumps and scratches.
Available in black and white.
Screen Protector

nexus 7 screen protector
Two screen protectors in one packages: 1x Matte Screen Protector, 1x Glossy Screen Protector.
Includes 1x Squeegees and 1x Cleaning Cloth to help you apply the screen protector smoothly without bubbles
Proprietary technology to resist bubbles, glare, fingerprints and guards against scratches

http://www.asus.com/Tablet_Mobile_Accessories/Premium_Cover_for_Nexus_7_2013/
http://www.asus.com/Tablet_Mobile_Accessories/Travel_Cover_for_Nexus_7_2013/

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Went to Best Buy, they said my in-store pickup order is stuck in processing. Employee said he'd call their tech support and get it straightened out, and put a sticky note on one of the Nexus boxes saying DO NOT SELL!.

As someone who has worked at a Best Buy, I can't say I'm feeling confident I'll be able to pick it up after work today :smith:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

abraham linksys posted:

Went to Best Buy, they said my in-store pickup order is stuck in processing. Employee said he'd call their tech support and get it straightened out, and put a sticky note on one of the Nexus boxes saying DO NOT SELL!.

As someone who has worked at a Best Buy, I can't say I'm feeling confident I'll be able to pick it up after work today :smith:

Id have just bought one there in the store and cancelled pickup order.

edit: im surprised none of the official cases support smart cover functionality.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Id have just bought one there in the store and cancelled pickup order.

edit: im surprised none of the official cases support smart cover functionality.

I considered it, but the payment already went through, and I didn't feel like waiting on a refund or whatever for the canceled order.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Ah, yes. Vibrant dark grey. When do they come out with the Qi charger for it? As much as I like the one for my Nexus 4 I don't think it will hold up a tablet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ah, yes. Vibrant dark grey. When do they come out with the Qi charger for it? As much as I like the one for my Nexus 4 I don't think it will hold up a tablet.

You can buy these at verizon stores for $40. even less if you have a friend with a company discount.

http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phone-accessories/lg-WCP-300-wireless-charging-pad

Its charging my nexus 7 now and its flat so no worries about things falling off.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Friend just told me he just picked one up at Staples and used that $30 tablet coupon they had circulating.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

You can buy these at verizon stores for $40. even less if you have a friend with a company discount.

http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phone-accessories/lg-WCP-300-wireless-charging-pad

Its charging my nexus 7 now and its flat so no worries about things falling off.
What's the power output on that? The "technical specifications" tab is unsurprisingly useless.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

What's the power output on that? The "technical specifications" tab is unsurprisingly useless.

The charger it comes with is a 1.8a.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I called Best Buy customer service and they said it's processing and they can't hold any inventory while it's processing. They have my money, but I could potentially have to wait another week to get my Nexus 7. What a joke, I sincerely hope Best Buy goes out of business.

EDIT: If I had just walked in without doing in store pickup I'd have one by now, too.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

FordPRefectLL posted:

I called Best Buy customer service and they said it's processing and they can't hold any inventory while it's processing. They have my money, but I could potentially have to wait another week to get my Nexus 7. What a joke, I sincerely hope Best Buy goes out of business.

EDIT: If I had just walked in without doing in store pickup I'd have one by now, too.

poo poo man that blows. I literally got my "ready for pickup" email within 15 minutes. I do live in rural-ish Washington though.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

FordPRefectLL posted:

Walk in, buy one, get the other one when it comes out, sell it on ebay, profit.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Walked into Bestbuy, picked one up. Asked after the Chromecast, and they said they had 10 yesterday and sold out in 15 minutes.

So far, it is thinner,lighter, and the black bezel is classier than the plastic silver one.

No screen lift yet, we'll see how it does once it gets good n' hot.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Amazing how much of a difference 2mm makes. The black bezel ring is also much nicer looking than the cheap silver one on the N7 TYOL 2012.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

FordPRefectLL posted:

iirc "processing" just means nobody has bothered to pick and label your item yet.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I was able to cancel the order and I'm trying it with a different much closer store that says it's in stock now. We'll see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I called the second store and you can just pay by credit card over the phone