Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulgarian
Oct 2, 2011
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/09/world/americas/canada-runaway-train/

Uh oh. Might've been a criminal act after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

quote:

"I will not speculate on the elements that we have recovered," Forget told reporters.

Because you don't remember what they are?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Brother Jonathan posted:

Because you don't remember what they are?

:golfclap:

The pictures the Cbc has been putting on their webpage are pretty horrific. Still forty people "missing".

E: Cbc is reporting that the police are talking about prosecuting the engineer now. Company is already saying he'll probably never work for them again.

Queue up in the line to throw the guy under the bus I guess.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 10, 2013

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
This is so stupid. They couldn't have pulled the cars up to their location unless they were properly coupled. No railroader in north america leaves a train unattended and unsecure for years now.

I think we should be well past the "blame the crew" department by now.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A former engineer weighs in on the Lac Megantic tragedy:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Opinion+former+rail+engineer+need+speak/8652746/story.html

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Looking back only 3 months since I hired on, I realize how different this job actually is from my pre-conceived notions and what I saw at the hiring event. The HR lady's Powerpoints made everything look sanitized in a way.

I work in MoW, and recently started on a steel gang. This gang has moved me up much more quickly than the other one, and have been running various machines. I get filthy every single day, and play mechanic every time the machine breaks or malfunctions (which is a lot). I am required to carry tools (Harbor Freight everything thrown in a Husky bag, woooo). I was recently awarded a bid for a machine, so I won't be on the ground as much doing labor. Despite everything bad that comes with the job (some management, travel, odd hours) I still love it and feel like I accomplished something most days.

I have a degree and probably could have hired on as an exempt, one of those "assistant" Roadmasters, but this is more fun.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Glad your having fun. Yeah you might make a little more in the management side, but god drat. The craft is where its at.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Its been about 3 months since I hired on, too. Its a little less hands on than I expected since we contract out the container lifts.

The derailment pictures from Fonda, NY are up online.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Just when I thought I was going to get out of work with my day's hourly rate intact, a railcar gets set out because a container had struck it. 2 hours of investigation, witness statements and paperwork later I'm home.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
James May just put a Q&A on the Web about rail adhesion: Why can't trains go uphill? More interesting to the folks in this thread is the extra video he did just chatting about trains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJvgrCodUw4

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Brother Jonathan posted:

James May just put a Q&A on the Web about rail adhesion: Why can't trains go uphill? More interesting to the folks in this thread is the extra video he did just chatting about trains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJvgrCodUw4

Thankyou for this. Can't wait until I can watch them both.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Possibly the greatest news ever!

http://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/releases/heritage_and_steam/2013/0723_4014.shtml

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

This is awesome.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Are they going to convert it to an oil burner? I thought I read that somewhere.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Brother Jonathan posted:

Are they going to convert it to an oil burner? I thought I read that somewhere.

I read it here.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
UP has experience converting from coal to oil from No. 3985, the "Challenger" locomotive, so I suppose that it shouldn't be a problem.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Massive crash in Spain - looks like the train derailed after going too fast round a curve. At least 60 dead so far. poo poo.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
That doesn't look good. :(

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Holy poo poo, the news about the big boy. I can't believe the crazy bastards are actually going to do it. Good on you Uncle Pete.

As for that Spanish wreck, this is not shaping up to be a good month for the railroads. I can't remember the last time so many people were killed as a result of train wrecks in one month.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Video of that Spain wreck:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o32nxuHshv4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Do32nxuHshv4

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Early indications are that the Spanish train had just left a high speed (200km/h) area which transitioned straight into a conventional line with a 80km/h curve - the train is thought to have hit it at 190km/h. While the drivers are probably going to get the blame, ETCS (the train protection system for high speed lines) cuts out 4km before the curve and drops to their conventional warning system which, unlike ETCS, does not automatically restrict the train's speed. So it sounds like the line was pretty badly designed and this curve was an accident waiting to happen.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Jonnty posted:

Early indications are that the Spanish train had just left a high speed (200km/h) area which transitioned straight into a conventional line with a 80km/h curve - the train is thought to have hit it at 190km/h. While the drivers are probably going to get the blame, ETCS (the train protection system for high speed lines) cuts out 4km before the curve and drops to their conventional warning system which, unlike ETCS, does not automatically restrict the train's speed. So it sounds like the line was pretty badly designed and this curve was an accident waiting to happen.

Reliance on technology may have caused this wreck?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

B4Ctom1 posted:

Reliance on technology may have caused this wreck?

I wouldn't say so - without the high-speed line train control systems we'd see tonnes more crashes like this. In fact, the whole concept of high speed lines would probably be so unsafe as to be impossible. It's more like the absence of technology in a particularly challenging high-speed to low-speed transition has made human error more likely (and dangerous.)

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Jonnty posted:

I wouldn't say so - without the high-speed line train control systems we'd see tonnes more crashes like this. In fact, the whole concept of high speed lines would probably be so unsafe as to be impossible. It's more like the absence of technology in a particularly challenging high-speed to low-speed transition has made human error more likely (and dangerous.)

So there was no technology failure here?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

B4Ctom1 posted:

So there was no technology failure here?

It doesn't appear so, although clearly there's no guarantee. The problem appears to be driver error possibly caused by a problematic application of technology - moving from an area where speed was fully supervised to one where it wasn't just before a large speed reduction. That is, of course, an educated guess from the circumstances, but I can't imagine it's too far from the truth.

e: just saw on TV that apparently the driver has been quoted as saying he was going 2x too fast but hasn't mentioned any failures

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 25, 2013

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
My first thought after seeing that: yes I'm going to hell

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I can't figure out why you would design a line, that is high speed, that would have a section where you have no form of ATP to ensure that the train gets down to a safe speed for a curve like that. I work in LRRT so maybe I'm missing something but this just seems like a bad idea all around.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I think that considering the energies involved that there was amazing integrity of the rail cars. Sadly it mulched the people inside :(

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

ninmeister posted:

I can't figure out why you would design a line, that is high speed, that would have a section where you have no form of ATP to ensure that the train gets down to a safe speed for a curve like that. I work in LRRT so maybe I'm missing something but this just seems like a bad idea all around.

Sounds like it was an existing stretch of conventional line - but still, should definitely have been upgraded at the time the high speed line was built. At the very least, they should have brought the restriction further up the track so they couldn't leave the ATP section at 200km/h - assuming that's what happened.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jesus loving Christ.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Can any of the up guys help me out? I've been furloughed for the last year and a half and now I can't figure out how to put a standing bid in for the extra board through the cmts portal. There is an open spot and I need to get back to work, even if its just on the awts for a bit. I will buy you a forums upgrade or something.

edit: I think I figured it out. Any idea when they update and place people off the standing bid list?

Canna Happy fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 26, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Seniority order. Still furloughed out in the coal fields? Its been super lean.... I would suggest if you are wanting to work you will need to find a new seniority district. The traffic isn't coming back for a while.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
From EnglishRussia.com, Moscow's new amphibious train station.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm surprised that doesn't short out or something.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Seniority order. Still furloughed out in the coal fields? Its been super lean.... I would suggest if you are wanting to work you will need to find a new seniority district. The traffic isn't coming back for a while.

They used to recall in seniority order, but not anymore. You need to bid on a job to get recalled, unless they're calling everyone or something. I have a few guys under me working full time out at bill right now, and more in morrill I'm sure. So yeah, unassigned spot on the extra board and guys below me working it, but they didn't do anything with that bid today.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Here's an odd one. Mostly applies to light rail, and more because I'm just curious what happened (aka :spergin: )

A few weeks ago I was riding on DART's blue line. For about 30 seconds, all of the interior lights (aside from a couple near each door, and they were a bit dimmer than usual) cut out, along with the AC blowers. The train didn't feel like it was slowing down at all. When I looked up it was also affecting the next car ahead of me. When everything came back on, I didn't feel the train accelerate either, it seemed to stay at the same speed. When it came back on the blowers were circulating humid air for a bit, which makes me think the AC compressors also cut out at the same time.

What happened? :confused:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Separate circuits and they tripped but the traction systems didn't? I'm guessing since it's almost 1/3 the world away from me and I've never actually seen the system.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Im gonna guess that one of the pantographs probably lost contact for a second. It's a pretty normal occurrence on third rail systems when going over an at-grade crossing (like in Chi's brown line) or switching shoe-sides. I havent experienced it in pantograph systems like DART except in T intersections.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think I remember that used to sometimes happen on the DC Metro when I rode it, but that would be > 15 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Canna Happy posted:

They used to recall in seniority order, but not anymore. You need to bid on a job to get recalled, unless they're calling everyone or something. I have a few guys under me working full time out at bill right now, and more in morrill I'm sure. So yeah, unassigned spot on the extra board and guys below me working it, but they didn't do anything with that bid today.

Call your local chairman, or call the CMS manager. I know that they have to fill the unassigned vacancy first. And if your in the W6 district, your agreements are the same as mine (Midwest District)