Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also eliminate region locking, that would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

fivegears4reverse posted:

unless you want to work on the low resolution of the GamePad and just really, really screw up how the games look by playing solely on that.

I agree that the idea is not a solution, but the pedant in me also needs to point out that the Gamepad resolution is 854x480, high enough to fully contain both screens of the 3DS stacked on top of each other.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Supercar Gautier posted:

I agree that the idea is not a solution, but the pedant in me also needs to point out that the Gamepad resolution is 854x480, high enough to fully contain both screens of the 3DS stacked on top of each other.

It's fairly blurry though, I think it simply will not look as good as just playing the darn games on a 3DS/DS. Which is probably what Nintendo would prefer people to be doing.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Eh, I want the ability to play my DS games on a big TV like crazy, but that's just me. I just bought a Wii U myself and I'm actually fairly pleased with it and I'm pleased with what's on the horizon. Although I'm apparently horribly in the minority here.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

One and the Same posted:

Gamecube wasn't a failure though? It didn't sell like the PS2 or even the Xbox, but it was hardly a dead cat.

Every Nintendo console until the Wii sold less than its predecessor. Meaning the GameCube was the worst of them until the Wii U. That other poster was exactly right - for awhile, the handhelds carried the company.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I guess Nintendo really should have put out some kind of statement regarding the easing off of the YouTube monetization thing after news came out stating so since I'm still seeing people in comments thinking the opposite. Case in point, Total Biscuit had a segment about the whole "Smash Bros. creator removing cut-scenes because of the internet" thing but then read more into it and found out there would still be a single player mode and any character cut-scenes would be posted to YouTube ahead of time and available to view within the game itself.

So he actually took down the video, removed the Nintendo section and put it back up just a little while ago...and the comments in that video are thinking he did it because of Big Nintendo pressuring him.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm not sure how big of an impact that would have. I would wager that the amount of people that would refuse to buy say, the next Smash Bros *specifically* because of that policy is slim at best.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Honestly, the Youtube thing is just a weird little bit of confused controversy that has less than zero relevance to why the average person isn't buying a Wii U.

Kind of like a lot of "solutions" that get brought up! The average person doesn't get up in arms over the things that gamers get buzzed about. They don't give a poo poo about niche features like Wavebird compatibility or a DS emulator or whatever weirdly specific "silver bullet" feature a hardcore gamer might maybe like to have once in a blue moon. They don't even really care about the Virtual Console aside from a couple Mario titles, and I say that as someone who's personally obsessed with having the whole Nintendo canon installed on my console.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
It sounds to me like Nintendo has no good reason to start producing third party software and saying things like "If Nintendo didn't make any money anymore they would become Sega" is stating the obvious and could be said about any company that produces hardware and software that goes with it.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Srice posted:

I'm not sure how big of an impact that would have. I would wager that the amount of people that would refuse to buy say, the next Smash Bros *specifically* because of that policy is slim at best.

"Acting like a luddite rear end in a top hat" is something that can keep people at an arms reach. Each individual instance may only scare away one or two people, but added together they have a tendency to cast a bad stereotype on Nintendo.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Syfe posted:

Sounds like the obvious answer is to allow their handheld market to be played on the Wii U. It's certainly possible to do this with the DS and absolutely the 3DS, I guarantee you even if they did it with just DS games we'd see a spike in Wii U sales, they just need a dongle or the like. Not all games would be ideal for playing on it, but an easy way to make it accessible would be to have it so that you can switch which screen is on top, just press R3 to switch the screen back down to the gamepad to do any touch pad.

Wii U saved, thanks Nintendo, and if they only do DS games at first, they're not going to hamper the 3DS market. (Although, I don't think I ever heard of the Gameboy Player's hampering portable console sales.)

It's not actually possible for the DS. You wouldn't be able to play Trace Memory, for example, which required you line up the reflection of the top screen on the bottom screen and close the DS, neither of which could be done with the Wii U.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom posted:

It's not actually possible for the DS. You wouldn't be able to play Trace Memory, for example, which required you line up the reflection of the top screen on the bottom screen and close the DS, neither of which could be done with the Wii U.

They didn't even bother bringing the trace memory sequels over to the US. That's one of the very few games that use the screen like that, 99% of the other games don't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

They didn't even bother bringing the trace memory sequels over to the US. That's one of the very few games that use the screen like that, 99% of the other games don't.

Phantom Hourglass however has a pretty memorable puzzle which involves closing your DS.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

They could very easily just add a touchscreen button to emulate closing the DS system, but it's not going to happen. I think it's more likely we'll see DS games on the 3DS eshop (we already do pretty much)

Something kinda similar I'd like is to download 3DS demos from your WiiU, just like they let you download DS demos from your Wii.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Eh, there are certainly some games that couldn't be played correctly for it, but I really don't see why those few games would stop it. It would be a silly excuse in my opinion.

For instance, you couldn't play Boktai on the Gameboy Player, but that doesn't make the Gameboy Player a bad idea or poorly implemented.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Nintendo just needs to give people a reason to get a Wii U. Games will definitely be the biggest thing to focus on to get more people on board, but there's other smaller factors they can work on.

What about people who already own a 3DS? They'll never be able to translate the entire audience, let alone the majority of it, but giving people an additional reason to own more Nintendo hardware would be good. The Vita/PS3 connectivity is pretty limited at the moment but Sony is definitely pushing for PS4/Vita. Sony is building benefits into owning both platforms but there's nothing in a Wii U for a 3DS owner. Monster Hunter 3U? Well sure, you can play online with your 3DS if you also have a Wii U... And a Wii U copy of 3U. What a waste. I know it's a Capcom product but it's one of the few examples of 3DS-Wii U connectivity I'm aware of.

Personally, I'd just like to play Phoenix Wright on the go and at home, with the ability to put it on the monitor or on the TV when I get home. It's not going to work with all games and it's pretty much impossible the other way around (Wii U to 3DS).

What I'm saying is that it'd be nice for Nintendo to add value to the product. Good games is one way but that's me spending more money on it. I'd like something to say "Hey, you have a 3DS, did you know that it can do these cool things with your Wii U?"

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Argas posted:

Nintendo just needs to give people a reason to get a Wii U. Games will definitely be the biggest thing to focus on to get more people on board, but there's other smaller factors they can work on.

People keep saying "if they just had more games people want to buy and maybe a price drop." How about a realistic suggestion?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

How is that not realistic?

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Boiled Water posted:

How is that not realistic?
That might've been a joke at Nintendo's expense. :ssh:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
An update to the "major retail chains in NZ dump the WiiU at super low (75% discount) prices, they still fail to sell them" story, as far as I know now every major physical retailer has stopped stocking WiiUs and WiiU games entirely, but are continuing to sell the Wii and its games.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Making the price low isn't going to fix things as long as people don't know what the Wii U is.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kurtofan posted:

Making the price low isn't going to fix things as long as people don't know what the Wii U is.

People do know what the Wii U is though: an attachment to the Wii/A console lacking games with mass appeal/an overpriced attachment to the Wii/ an overpriced console lacking games with mass appeal.

Only half of that is true.

Marketing alone isn't going to help either, at least not in the 'get ads out there' sense. If there aren't games that convince people the system's unique qualities are worth spending money on, that's all she wrote. The best marketing for a system is a game that only it can do well that simultaneously gets a lot of people excited to own one.

It's really telling to me that Wonderful 101, Pikmin, even ZombiU, don't really NEED the GamePad to work. They'd likely be good games if they didn't have to worry about a second screen, they might even benefit if the GamePad wasn't a factor that needed to be considered. I'm not saying they should get rid of the GamePad, but I do think it was a misstep at the end of the day. At least with motion controls, you could make the reasonable argument that there were things IT could do that COULD, in the right circumstances, provide such a unique experience that it was worth the risk.

The GamePad is the DS concept writ large, and like much of what has gone on with the dual-screens in the DS handhelds, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of exciting things being done with in at the moment. MarioKart is gonna make the touch screen a HORN for chrissakes. I'm not controlling an FPS more accurately on the GamePad, but I do know that I was popping off headshots like it was nothing on GoldenEye Wii, which made an otherwise average game feel that much more satisfying to play. The same game on the Wii U would do what? Put my inventory on the touch screen? A radar? Or maybe nothing at all and just flash the game's logo and some art? It's just not as exciting a concept as telling people "YOU CAN SWING THIS SWORD BY SWINGING THIS REMOTE THING!"

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

At the moment my GamePad sits uncharged in a nearby box and is only taken out when I have to navigate WiiU's stupid option menus. Such a loving waste of time.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

I use the pro controller for mostly everything but the gamepad is pretty cool for when you need to take a poo poo.

Also I guess Flython doesn't realize you don't have to use the gamepad for anything but the eShop.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Just booted it up to test and I still needed the gamepad to get into system options. If there's a way to avoid using it I can't find it.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Welp I'm retarded

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

quote:

Retail giant Asda is no longer stocking Wii U consoles across its 555 retail outlets, dealing a new blow to Nintendo's bid to reverse the console's fortunes.

The grocer, Britain's second-largest, has suspended stock on all Wii U games, consoles and accessories across its stores, though eight products (all released during the Wii U's November 2012 launch) remain available on the Asda Direct website.

CVG understands that the company did not stock Nintendo's latest release, Pikmin 3, a widely acclaimed title which entered at number two on the UK all formats charts.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/421340/asda-suspends-wii-u-stock/

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Wasn't something similar happening in New Zealand? Hopefully more of this happens and Nintendo are forced to pull their finger out.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

What does "pull their finger out" mean in this context? Like, what policy action does it correspond to?

Are they pulling the finger out a dam? What is the dam here? What happens when it bursts?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Presumably "out of their ear(s)" but I dont think Nintendo has been ignoring the problem, they just have no clue how to combat it.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

What does "pull their finger out" mean in this context? Like, what policy action does it correspond to?

Are they pulling the finger out a dam? What is the dam here? What happens when it bursts?

Any action really, except ignoring the problem. What I think is needed is a price cut, like the 3DS.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
A price cut would probably do absolutely nothing. What the Wii U needs is something to pull people to the system. I would say Earthbound would be along the lines of what needs to keep happening. As it stands, even with a price cut, there would be nothing to play on it.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

blackguy32 posted:

A price cut would probably do absolutely nothing. What the Wii U needs is something to pull people to the system. I would say Earthbound would be along the lines of what needs to keep happening. As it stands, even with a price cut, there would be nothing to play on it.

People are so fixated on price cuts that they forget how important software is to any piece of hardware.

Seriously, why does anyone really buy a console at launch? When the consoles are at their peak prices?

The games. Either what is available right away, or what they can see with their own eyes is coming in the future. Exciting games that make the price of admission seem reasonable. The PS3 launched at $599, and stayed at that price point for a frankly absurd amount of time, but by the end of its first year it was in better shape than where the Wii U is right now. It had more support, it had legitimately exciting games on the horizon, Sony was aggressively trying to market it, they were creating value-add bundles. Even though it was failing in comparison to the explosive success they experienced with the PS2, Sony was actively trying to do something about it.

Nintendo is giving off the air of inaction. I know for a fact that this isn't the case, but they sure aren't doing a good job of convincing the rest of the world.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

That there aren't any games isn't a reason to not have a price cut.

Edit: Simply lowering the price changes the cost/benefit analysis for potential buyers. This is something that Nintendo could do. A few old games aren't going to get anyone to buy a Wii U.

The_Frag_Man fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 29, 2013

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

So basically they pull out support the moment a big game arrives? :bravo:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Kurtofan posted:

The "big games" don't arrive until October. Pikmin 3 didn't sell many copies in the UK.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Pikmin 3 is a great game but it isn't a system seller. It's fan service. If it even sells a million copies, especially in the WiiU's current state, that would be an enormous success.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

The_Frag_Man posted:

That there aren't any games isn't a reason to not have a price cut.

Edit: Simply lowering the price changes the cost/benefit analysis for potential buyers. This is something that Nintendo could do. A few old games aren't going to get anyone to buy a Wii U.

Most people who wanted the Wii U have bought it already. It isn't that expensive. The problem is that there really is no reason to buy it. Even if you cut the price, why would you spend the money on a console that has no good games at the moment when you can easily just wait til there is something you want to play on it later and either pay the same price or pay a cheaper price?

You misunderstood me about the Earthbound thing. Nintendo needs to keep releasing games of that caliber if they want people to adopt the system, not just cut the price and call it a day.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

They don't even sell the 3DS, so this shouldn't be much of a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

bushisms.txt posted:

They don't even sell the 3DS, so this shouldn't be much of a surprise.

They do, just not online for some reason.

• Locked thread