Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I was able to get bestbuy to take this staples coupon for $30 off

http://reg.e.staples.com/c/s/tagfrm/BR7kdtB7SHGCB80C0HNsuuENsA/coupon.html?n=7232&COUPON_1=35852

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
You can now order the new Nexus 7 from Google Play.
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_7_32GB?id=nexus_7_32gb_2013

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

No chance of backporting this for an instore pickup is there? or can I pick it up, 'return' it, then rebuy?

I should just shut up and be happy, but $30 is about the gas it'll take me to get there and have a beer while playing with it.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

If I already submitted an order through amazon, is there any reason to cancel and order through Google? Only reason I can think is Google support or whatever, but I got the amazon protection plan (or was that a huge mistake?)

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.
I cancelled my amazon order today, they say they will "try" to do it, but if it hasn't shipped I've never had a problem cancelling.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jonesy posted:

If I already submitted an order through amazon, is there any reason to cancel and order through Google? Only reason I can think is Google support or whatever, but I got the amazon protection plan (or was that a huge mistake?)

Google has a pretty good RMA, but so does Amazon from what I've seen. Amazon will also ship you a brand new device as well if even one part of the item is broken.

When I got my case for my Nexus 4, the included screen protector didn't apply right and I asked them if I could buy another. They simply sent me a whole new case and asked for the old one back.

Difference is Google will ask you for the full amount of the tablet and put a hold on it just in case you might want to steal the new one and keep the old one. Amazon will just charge your card within 10 days but won't put a hold on anything.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Schmoli posted:

No chance of backporting this for an instore pickup is there? or can I pick it up, 'return' it, then rebuy?

I should just shut up and be happy, but $30 is about the gas it'll take me to get there and have a beer while playing with it.

I had already purchased for $229. took the coupon in and the guy did a return rebuy on the same receipt.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just in case people didn't notice, the link to the 4.3 OTA for the Nexus 10 was discovered earlier today, so you can adb sideload it manually without having to wait for it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Just in case people didn't notice, the link to the 4.3 OTA for the Nexus 10 was discovered earlier today, so you can adb sideload it manually without having to wait for it.
Thanks buddy! Have they found one for the 2012 Nexus 7?

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Yessssss!

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 26, 2013

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Thanks buddy! Have they found one for the 2012 Nexus 7?

Yes, that happened earlier. Still nothing for the May 2013 refresh, though.

You may want these instructions, which work just as well on the Nexus 10 fwiw.

The only thing I'll add is that the upgrade method seems to work better on OSX and possibly Linux than Windows due to the need of a driver for Windows which works fine in normal/bootloader mode but can't recognize the device in recovery unless you gently caress around with said driver before you install it..

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 26, 2013

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Does the new wifi-only N7 still have GPS like the previous one? Debating on saving $80 and getting one in the next couple weeks, vs. waiting for the LTE model (I'm also weighing the benefits of LTE for how I would use the device, but no GPS would be a dealbreaker for the wifi model). I can't find anything on the store page, though Amazon lists it as a spec.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

The only thing I'll add is that the upgrade method seems to work better on OSX and possibly Linux than Windows due to the need of a driver for Windows which works fine in normal/bootloader mode but can't recognize the device in recovery unless you gently caress around with said driver before you install it..
I updated them all the same way last update so I think it'll be fine. Thanks again!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

sirbeefalot posted:

Does the new wifi-only N7 still have GPS like the previous one? Debating on saving $80 and getting one in the next couple weeks, vs. waiting for the LTE model (I'm also weighing the benefits of LTE for how I would use the device, but no GPS would be a dealbreaker for the wifi model). I can't find anything on the store page, though Amazon lists it as a spec.

Yes it has GPS.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Don Lapre posted:

Yes it has GPS.

Fairly good GPS, at least when compared to my Nexus 4.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Jonesy posted:

Google has the worst support of any company I've ever dealt with so I wouldn't buy another thing from them ever.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Apparently if you buy over the phone they just use the in store pick up system that hasn't been working. Standing at best buy right now still not getting my tablet. Did buy their last chromecast though and they gave me the Netflix promo.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Fairly good GPS, at least when compared to my Nexus 4.
My Nexus 4 is lightning fast. Does the Nexus 7 support GLONASS? You can tell this by using GPS Test. I think the GLONASS satellites have higher numbers or a different symbol or something.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I went to Staples and they were out of stock. Swung by Best Buy and the first guy told me that they haven't received their shipment yet, then another employee started arguing with him in front of me that they had them in the warehouse. About 15 minutes later they brought a new 32GB Nexus 7 out, said they hadn't received their shipment of 16GB yet. Either way, I left with a shiny new tablet. I'm coming from an OG Kindle Fire so hopefully this is worth the upgrade.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

gucci void main posted:

Google has the worst support of any company I've ever dealt with so I wouldn't buy another thing from them ever.

Actually, their RMA service is so good, you're able to abuse it if you want to be immoral like those on XDA

They'll let you RMA a device multiple times, even past the cut-off date as long as you have the money for them to hold and keep sending the old device back.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
By the by, at least in an empty house, for personal use the n7 2013 speakers are really quite good. Don't know how it will hold up to multiple viewers or background noise, but a serious step up from the 2012. I get why people would wish for front facing speakers, but still, not bad.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
If anyone is willing to wait for shipping, you can use 41178 online coupon code to get 30 bucks off any tablet(including the new nexus 7) at Staples.com. There is also a in-store coupon but that one specifically states that the new nexus 7 are excluded. The staples store near me denied the instore coupon so I just ordered online. Others however have reported success.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Well after 5 hours of trying Best Buy finally sold me a Nexus 7. Can't wait to get home and try it with the chromcast

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

lostleaf posted:

If anyone is willing to wait for shipping, you can use 41178 online coupon code to get 30 bucks off any tablet(including the new nexus 7) at Staples.com. There is also a in-store coupon but that one specifically states that the new nexus 7 are excluded. The staples store near me denied the instore coupon so I just ordered online. Others however have reported success.

Where does it say the nexus 7 is excluded?

http://www.staples.com/coupons

http://reg.e.staples.com/c/s/tagfrm/BR7kdtB7SHGCB80C0HNsuuENsA/coupon.html?n=7232&COUPON_1=35852

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

It tells you at checkout. That's what it did for me at least.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

You'll see it says excludes item# 215186 and 215185 which are the new nexus 7 16gb and 32 gb respectively.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

lostleaf posted:

You'll see it says excludes item# 215186 and 215185 which are the new nexus 7 16gb and 32 gb respectively.

Ahh. Glad i got BB to take it then.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Just opened it up. This is a very pretty piece of technology.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Hope these come to Canada sooner rather than later. Can't even seem to pre-order one anywhere, and all I can find is a nebulous "in the next few weeks..." for when it might start to show up.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Don Lapre posted:

I'm hoping I can get BB to match if I stop by later today after work. Usually by the end of a launch day it seems like most major retailers have caught on to the fine print for this sort of thing.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

I'm very jealous. I called 3 different bestbuy who had the tablet in stock and they all refused to take competitor coupon. The wait is aggravating but I still want to save 30 bucks.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Edit: Nevermind, apparently not

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 26, 2013

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

IS the little skeumorphic tube-style shutdown graphic thing an android 4.3 feature? It kinda bothers me, not sure why. Probably because I know a TFT shouldn't do that, and if it does something horrible has happened.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Slo-Tek posted:

IS the little skeumorphic tube-style shutdown graphic thing an android 4.3 feature? It kinda bothers me, not sure why. Probably because I know a TFT shouldn't do that, and if it does something horrible has happened.

Yes. That's pretty hilarious thing to get bothered about. :v:

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Slo-Tek posted:

It's been around for a while and I believe you can turn it off. At least in CM you can.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Slo-Tek posted:

It's an Android 2.3 feature. Have you seriously been using a 2.2 or earlier device up until now?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It's an Android 2.3 feature. Have you seriously been using a 2.2 or earlier device up until now?

Nope. My old N7 doesn't do it. Well, it might start doing it, just got the OTA update.

I don't know, it may have done it on actual shutdowns, but the new one does a half-second long shutdown graphic every time I turn the screen off, rather than just turning off the screen.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I'll be damned, my 2012 doesn't and I could have sworn it did. I updated it to 4.3 a few nights ago and it's a fading effect. Must be device specific to the old N7.

Still silly.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Reading all these posts made me want to go out and buy a new Nexus 7, but I had a few projects I had to get done in the office. Instead, I factory reset my old one and it's so fast now (I guess due to that TRIM issue)?

I was planning to buy a new one asap and pass the old one off to my wife, but I think this old guy just got new legs. I'll probably cave in and buy one in a week after saying all this.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I'm rather enjoying my Nexus 7, except for the single-but-gnarly dead pixel in the dead center of the screen :smith:

But as my first tablet, it's nice, and just feels so much more pleasant than my short-lived Galaxy Nexus, even if it's theoretically the same OS. Android, after five years of me making fun of you, you done good :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

abraham linksys posted:

I'm rather enjoying my Nexus 7, except for the single-but-gnarly dead pixel in the dead center of the screen :smith:

RMA it. It happens.